“A quietly sophisticaticated, stress-draining paradise”

The Inn at English Harbour
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in English Harbour
Reviewed February 4, 2011

My wife and I just returned from 4 days at the Inn at English Harbor - we needed a quiet, stress-free environment to detox after a very tough year. We found the Inn to be the ideal place - of course, February in the Caribbean is hard to beat for perfect weather. Although this was our first time in Antigua, we are well traveled in the US, Europe, Africa, and the Far East. We have stayed in all levels of lodging. I am an accomplished cook with high expectations for restaurant food. Our stay at the Inn exceeded our every expectation - isolated and very quiet location/beach; polished, attentive, unobtrusive staff; beautifully kept grounds/pool/beach; well prepared, delicious meals/drinks. Our suite, with three doors that opened onto a patio that overlooked a meticulously groomed garden, had an understated colonial charm. The room was spotless, comfortable, and helpfully appointed with several items to enhance our enjoyment, including good tea, fluffy robes, and nice toiletries. Every staff member we met, the groundskeepers, maids, hostesses, bartenders, servers, managers, cooks, and desk attendants were friendly, polite, and helpful to a fault; no request went unanswered. The atmosphere is quiet, calm, and restful. The location is picturesque, on a small cove with sailing yachts at anchor, surrounded by tropical hills - an uncrowded beach with soft sand, gentle surf - perfect for swimming, tanning, reading, sharing a peaceful drink or meal. Breakfast and lunch are served beach-side amidst palm tress and lulling waves; dinner is served on an elegant stone patio, up the hill overlooking the entire harbor area - a breathtaking scene with a great wine list. After the second day at the Inn I literally felt the stress melt out of my body. We could not have asked for a more perfect environment to rest and refocus. Do not come here for a party - there are other places a short drive away for those activities if you want them - come here to take off your watch, turn off your cell phone, leave off the TV, put off your shoes, and get your life back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 27, 2011

This is that rare find - a whole that is more than the sum of the parts. Not that there's much wrong with the parts: a fabulous location, superb room (admittedly a mini-suite), nice pool, beautiful, well-tended gardens, white sandy beach, friendly, hospitable staff. Just a few wrinkles: no bathtub in the spacious bathroom, just a rather dingy, slow-draining shower; food in the main restaurant (which has spectacular views), though perfectly OK, does not quite measure up to the ferocious Caribbean pricing; the silly affectation of not writing down drink and food orders, which caused mistakes and muddles, though these were for the most part swiftly and charmingly corrected; and an infestation of sand fleas at the beach which left my wife with multiple bites - not of course the fault of the hotel, though someone might have warned us! However these niggles really fade away to nothing because the Inn is such a fantastic, welcoming, luxurious, relaxing place to stay. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Chilledout52
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I have just come back from 2 weeks at the Inn. Very good food, beautiful location, quiet and relaxing hotel.
Food: I am Italian, therefore, I am very picky about food. I know how good and fresh food tastes and I can say that at the Inn meals are pretty good. Breakfast and lunch are served at the beach restaurant. Breakfast is continental and has a variety of pastries, juices, boiled eggs, bread, butter and jam. The lunch menu is also good and varied, entailing panini, salads, fresh pasta and also fresh seafood. The dinner menu has some specials every night, and then fixed items. But if the guests need something out of the menu, they just need to ask. I am a bit surprised about the negative reviews about the food. I have not eaten the same thing twice and I have stayed two weeks there. We did half board, so we paid for the lunch. Yes it is pricey, but this is Antigua and the hotel is not an all inclusive. So we knew that before going. if you are looking for an all inclusive, then you should find another place. Prices are actually more reasonable at the hotel than outside in English Harbour.
We had lunches at English Harbour; there are some cute restaurants overlooking the Marina.
Beach: the beach is small, but very well kept. Gardeners clean it daily. There are enough chairs (which are quite comfortable) and there is no need to rush there in the morning to reserve a place. Umbrella and shade for everybody. Also, there is a little boat parked at the deck, which is available for guests who want to go to Nelson's Dockyard/English Harbour. It is complementary and runs from morning til late afternoon. I highly recommend it, because one gets the chance to visit the little town and talk a walk or have lunch outside the hotel. Only downside are the tens of boats parked just in front of the beach. Such a pity to have them in front of your view, instead of simply staring at the sea.
Swimming pool: very nice, though we spend most of our time at the beach and in the marvelous water of the Caribbean sea.
Rooms: very clean, spacious, with all the amenities needed (AC well functioning, two ceiling fans in the room, one in the bathroom). Mini bard well stocked.
Gym and Tennis Court: the first thing we were told upon arrival was that the tennis courts were under renovation, and if we wanted to play tennis, the hotel would have taken us to a nearby facility at no additional expenses (hotel would have paid the taxi ride). When I left on Sunday, one tennis court was ready to be used. I am very surprised to read the negative review about the tennis court, since as I said, guest who wanted to play would have had that possibility.
The gym was small, but had all the machines needed. The AC in the gym worked fine, it was actually pretty cold in the room. Again I am surprised at the negative review, since whoever wanted to exercise would have had that option.
One additional comment/advice: there are a lot of mosquitoes, so bring some spray. The hotel provides you with spray but does not work that much. At least not for people like me who gets bitten constantly. For the Italians, bring Autan, which is the ultimate weapon against mosquitoes. To note that some rooms have bed with mosquitoes nets, so when you make a reservation request such rooms.
Gardens are beautiful, well maintained.
Staff is there to help, and they all go great length to make sure that all guests feel comfortable and are happy. Just ask.

1  Thank Criny
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We love the Inn. Just back home again after a few days in paradise. I don't know why I'm sharing our favourite Caribbean hideaway.

They have a new Chef, I'm told sadly Anna had to return to Belgium for personal reasons which is such a shame as I loved chatting with her and hearing all her travel tales. But they have a new young Italian - sorry I've forgotten his name but the menus superb. We love fish, but also enjoyed the Italian twist in some of the meat dishes. Once or twice our mains took a little longer to appear than expected - but we weren't going anywhere and in such a romantic location with the stars above our heads.

As always the staff were wonderful teasing us and spoiling us rotten. Can't wait to return later in the year.

Reviewed January 13, 2011

What a special place i ve been to.

Magic beach, white sand and blu sky. My wife fell in love once again during our stay in this corner of heaven.

Very indicated for poeple enjoyng quiet life in sound place with all comfort and beautiful rooms with sighteseeing on the blue sea.

Sport facilities are availabe and will be complete once the brand new tennis court is completed in the near future.

Nice poeple , nice place ill be back sooner than later.

enjoy

Reviewed January 10, 2011

I chose The Inn because I wanted to relax during Xmas. It turned out to be the perfect location to enjoy what Antigua has to offer in a splendid structure surrounded by a breathtaking natural environment. The Hotel’s facilities are impeccable (swimming pool, beach bar, spa, gym, library and computer centre.) and so is the service (both in the rooms and on the beach). The food in the main restaurant is exquisite, based on local fresh products with an Italian touch. The beach, secluded from the more touristic spots and with immaculate white sand and luxuriant palm trees, overlooks the entrance of the old English Harbour. A short ride on a private boat - available for guests - can bring you to visit the old and fascinating remnants of British colonisation, which happens to also be a well furnished shopping area. All in all, just the right place if you look for a mixture of unspoiled nature and the most elegant Caribbean style!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Alessandro B
Reviewed December 27, 2010

There are many reasons to recommend this hotel, along with several reasons to advise "buyer beware." Major disappointments were the food and lack of promised amenities, namely the "state of the art tennis courts, lit in the evening for night play" and fully equipped fitness center." Both are prominently featured on the hotel's website (with photos of the tennis courts), and I inquired about both when I booked, as our family plays tennis and likes to exercise and specifically seek out hotels that offer these amenities. The reservations agent at the hotel confirmed that they had a modern fitness center and never mentioned that the tennis courts were in ruins, literally broken up concrete and entirely unusable. Likewise, the fitness center was a joke -- consisting of somebody's old, cast-off treadmill, an ancient stepper and stationary bike and a set of free weights. The AC in the tiny fitness room wasn't working, nor was there a TV to watch while you work out. I happen to view it as fraud when a hotel makes false claims and even actively plays up features they do not offer. At the very least, they should note on their bookings that the tennis courts are out of commission. That being said, if we had no interest in tennis or fitness and simply wanted to relax on the beach, the hotel has a lot going for it. The rooms are lovely -- very spacious, with great views of the harbor and a bright, modern decor. We had connecting rooms with our two teenaged boys, and the arrangement was perfect and very comfortable, although the beds and pillow were a bit too hard for our tastes. The private is beach beautiful, the water and sand clean and clear. No running out at the crack of dawn to grab a chair. The hotel is small and there are comfortable chaises and umbrellas for all the guests. The grounds are very pretty and the staff does a good job keeping all maintained. There are a couple of kayaks and one little sailfish, nothing state of the art but adequate, to take out on the water. There's a water taxi that is available to run you around the cove to Nelson's Dockyard where there are some restaurants if you want a break from the hotel. Food is so-so and very overpriced at the hotel. Stick with breakfast which is very good and lunch if you go for meals included.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank akapmkap
EnglishHarbour, General Manager at The Inn at English Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

Dear akapmkap,

Thank you for your feedback and kind compliments on the quality of our accommodation, the cleanness of our beach, the beautiful garden and friendly staff.

I am very sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations in terms of our sports facilities and I am also disappointed that we had no chance to remedy the problem while you were here with us.

In effect, the tennis courts were under repairs after being damaged during the closing months of September and October by torrential rain, we had arranged for our guests to play at the nearby Temo Sport Tennis Club at our total expense. Several guests did take advantage of our offer and they were very pleased with the arrangements.

If I am not mistaken your booking was made on the 21st of July 2010 and at that time our reservation staff had no idea of the devastation that would have occurred to our tennis courts in the coming months. Thus, a European Company was then given the job to redo the 2 tennis courts in high quality surface but because of the holiday season there was some delay in the completion of the job.

I am now happy to say the work is almost completed and the courts will be ready in the next 3 or 4 days (I have attached some photos).

I agree with you that sometimes marketing strategists exaggerate in the description of services and places. Consequently, we are changing the description or our gym/fitness centre, never in our mind we thought about committing a fraud and we do regret that you felt you were grossly misled.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Regards

#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Carlisle Bay Antigua
Carlisle Bay Antigua
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to The Inn at English Harbour? Share your experiences!