“A Subtle Jewel in the Caribbean Crown”

The Inn at English Harbour
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in English Harbour
Satellite Beach, Florida
“A Subtle Jewel in the Caribbean Crown”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

There is no pretense at The Inn, no clamoring for attention or vying for affection. Instead, a quiet, tranquil ambiance greets each guest and immediately surrounds them with what can only be described as a personal affection intended only for them. Rest assured - and indeed you will - that with each new day comes a total relaxed calmness, reinvigorating the senses and soothing the soul. My wife and I ventured off the property for five hours one day for a personal island tour. We wanted to see Antigua as itself as well as other properties, and beaches. That five hours was very informative and enjoyable but was all the time we cared to spend away from this subtle jewel in the Caribbean crown.

The Inn indulges your need for pampering with a personal touch. Although there are other guests, my wife and I felt that the staff was there just for us. That is unusual and should be appreciated for it's unassuming intent. "Paradise", "heaven on earth", "a jewel", all said by millions of people about thousands of places around the world. Offering a picturesque setting where photo ops abound, beach cabanas and suites that are comfortable and quaint, delicious meals for the heartiest of appetites, The Inn at English Harbour is defined by all the previous quotes. We have experienced many lovely properties and settings. The Inn may have very well moved to the top of our list.

Room Tip: Beach cabanas (4) are at waters edge. Step off the patio onto the sand and into the water. Suites (2...
11 Thank Wally W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Middlebury, Connecticut
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Just returned home from 8 days/7 nights at this charming, lovely inn. What a unique hotel! I agree with other reviewers that the staff is top-notch and that makes all the difference. You can have a clean, beautiful hotel but if your staff isn’t great, then it won’t measure up. These people are terrific! The hotel is quiet and we loved that, just what we needed after a hectic year at home.

We loved our little bungalow on the beach. Walking straight to our chairs and then to the water was a luxury. We love to swim in the ocean so didn’t spend any time in the pool. The beach is a perfect swimming beach with gentle waves lolling you into a peaceful rest. I didn’t want to leave.
We opted for the half-board and we weren’t disappointed. Some of the fish entrees were over-cooked but in general, we thought the meals were fine and we were thrilled with the service and the specialty nights: Italian night and beachside barbecue night.

We went to Shirley Heights Sunday night to hear the music and see the bay and sunset from this small mountain. Worth the trip. Also, we took a car tour of the island. It’s worth it to check out other beaches that have a more intense turquoise color if you’re into that. Also, I’d recommend taking the free water taxi over to Nelson’s Dockyard for shopping and visiting the museum. My husband took a two tank dive excursion with Tony who was recommended by the hotel. Although the equipment was a bit worn, my husband was very happy with the personal care and the underwater pictures Tony emailed to us.

Antigua was a new island for us and in general, we liked it. It is hilly and lush and the views are spectacular. Similar to other islands, there are some beautiful resorts and areas and then some not so nice areas. I’ve read other reviews about the airport and now I can agree. That place is a mess. It was so crowded (even in the off-season) and the air conditioning was so weak in the waiting area, we couldn’t wait to get on our plane. They are building a new terminal so hopefully that situation will be resolved soon.

We had mostly sunshine and highs in low to mid-80s (F) with an occasional 5 minute light shower. But, with a constant cooling breeze, we hardly ever felt over-heated. It is off-season so some of the restaurants and stores we would have liked to visit were closed. We didn’t expect that as we often travel to the islands in July and haven’t experienced that as much in other places.

In general, we loved the hotel, liked the island and were very appreciative of the amazing service we received there. Thank you to Christina, Wesley, Ocean and everyone at the Inn!

9 Thank Cheska319
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This fantastic hotel was perfect. Staff so pleasant and friendly without exception . food was very good with a nice choice . It was clean. rooms were done each day to perfection. I cannot find one negative thing to say and would be more than happy to return at anytime.

8 Thank moo234
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my mother in the Easter Break.

STAFF - amazing! So so friendly especially the maids who always were keen to chat. My favourite person was the lovely man who ran the water taxi to Nelson's Dockyard ( have forgotten his name but he was wonderful)

ROOM - perfect! Very close to the beach. Very big and gorgeous shower.

FOOD - we were rather worried about the food as we are both veggies and had seen there had been the occasional negative review about the food. As there was not as much vegetarian choice as we would have liked, we had an early meeting with the chef who basically said that he would cook us whatever we would like - and it was marvellous from then on.

LUNCH - if you are half board then you can either have lunch in the beach restaurant (or on the beach if you like!!), the food is great e.g. tuna steak salad nicoise etc very very fresh and yummy. Slightly expensive but what do you expect in a luxury hotel with a view over the ocean.
If not, a 3 mins walk down the beach is ROXYS beach bar which I wish i had found sooner - absolutely scrumptious food with a vibey trendy atmosphere.

I have travelled all over the world and can honestly say this was one of the most relaxing, luxurious, tranquil holidays ever! Can't wait to return!

ps Nelsons Dockyard is a must-visit (literally 1 minute in the complimentary water taxi)

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite but the beach cabanas looked divine and much cheaper! Would have gone fo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank Anya G
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Inn is awesome. The food a wine selection is fantastic, but what really sets this place apart is the STAFF. They are always smiling and pleased to help show you the true Antiguan culture.

We spent time off the resort and toured local bars, restaurants and many of Antiguas beautiful beaches. Seeing that is was off season, it was very difficult to rent a private boat that was affordable. The Inn's staff tried countless people but were unsuccessful as many people were away or their boats out of the water. We were lucky enough to have met a man named Sly on our travels. He has a 24 ' Boston Whaler with twin 200's on the back and knows the local waters inside and out. He picked us up at the inn and of course dropped us off. We spent the day touring the islands off the coast and enjoying caves, hikes, local food and drink as well as a first class snorkelling experience ! Although we rented the boat for half a day we never felt " On the clock" this was such an exceptional experience and I would highly recommend his services to anyone ! I will post his details at the end of this note.

We stayed in a beach cabana and wouldn't have changed a thing about it ! World cup was on and we simply turned the T.V around and sat on our patio with about 10 other people all staying at the INN and enjoyed some "cold beverages" too.

All in All I have lived and traveled to many exotic locations across the world and the Inn at English Harbour will be a definite return for us.

See you soon Antigua

As promised, here are " Sly's" details:

Name : Sly
Number: 268 775 5503

Room Tip: Beach Cabana's are awesome, rooms are all very nice too !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Brunos0000
Warsash, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is a wonderful location and despite staying in May, at the end of the season, we had fabulous weather. Frankly the room rate is fine without food because this is the only niggle.

The room was great, the beach is absolutely fantastic with plenty of options for sun beds and brilliant service on the beach.

The normal caribbean attitude to service shows its self with the guys at the beach restaurant, in the main restaurant the service is 'casually' entertaining but solid and welcoming.

So if there's anything I would change its the food, I just wish the food was better especially since its run by two lovely Italians!

For me the lunch was expensive but I would have been much happier keeping the rate as B&B and paying a fair price for better food.

Please dont discount this hotel because it is pretty much fantastic in all other respects and I hope the management will take this on board and rethink the approach to dinning.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Mike W
EnglishHarbour, General Manager at The Inn at English Harbour, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Mike W,

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate your comments and are glad that you did indeed have a wonderful time with us.

You will be happy to know that we now have an additional and "well seasoned" Italian Chef whose fusion of fresh and exciting cuisines concept incorporates our local and organic ingredients - from our very own organic garden is sure to wake up the palate.

We do look forward to your returning to The Inn to sample these new "palate shakers"

Kind regards
Fabio Giorgi
The Inn at English Harbour
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This post is long over due!

My husband and I spent the first 5 nights of our honeymoon at The Inn in February. We had been to Antigua once before and loved English Harbour so decided we wanted a hotel nearby. We booked the Inn and never looked back!

Arrival:
The Inn arranged a driver to pick us up at the airport and transfer us to the hotel. It went very smoothly and was a comfortable ride to the hotel. The check in area of the Inn is beautiful..set on top of a steep hill that overlooks the beach and ocean. Check in was fast and our delicious welcome drinks made it even more pleasurable! Once checked in, a van drove us down to our room. It is not a far distance, but it is steep. Our luggage was waiting in our room when we arrived.

Room:
We stayed in a junior suite, which was very spacious and nice. It had a large bathroom and closet, double sinks, bed, sitting area, and drawers for clothes. It also had two large doors that opened up to a big patio. The bathroom had a hair dryer and other complimentary toiletries (soap, etc.) that were restocked daily. There was also a refrigerator filled with water and beer. There were some snacks (but I can't remember what they were). The only thing I wish was different were the beds. Ours was very comfortable, but it was two beds pushed together. It would have been nice to have a queen or king sized bed. Overall, the rooms were a comfortable place to retreat to after a busy day relaxing.

Service:
I have to say that the service at this hotel is what really stands out and some of the best service I have ever received. We stayed at a different hotel for the last 5 nights of our honeymoon that supposedly has the best service on the island, but I have to say that the Inn did better. I would go through and give examples but the list would go on and on. Basically, no request is too much. They want you to be happy and are never annoyed at a request (and if they are, they certainly never show it!). Everyone who works there seems genuinely happy to be there...it is such a great environment to be around for vacation.

Food:
The Terrace was my favorite restaurant that we ate at while on our honeymoon. It really is due to the combination of an outstanding atmosphere (think romantic and luxurious), delicious food and top notch service. I recommend eating there for dinner and going out for lunch if you are on half board. My husband and I both agree that it is the best!

The Reef restaurant was also VERY delicious! We at there for breakfast every day and then had two lunches as well. Everything tastes so fresh and is well prepared. You won't be disappointed! Also the view is perfect since it is literally right on the beach. Not a bad way to eat breakfast and lunch!

Activities:

Hiking:
We heard that there were some hiking trails close by and found them to have great views of the ocean and harbors. This was how we started our mornings. I recommend the hike to Shirley Heights. It is pretty steep at some parts, but not too long (took us about 30 minutes total) and has great look out points...the best being when you get to the top! Bring water because it gets hot. You also might want to bring some $ for the Shirley Heights gift store. We also did a hike...or what I would consider a "walk" out to the point and around the other side of the harbor. It has SUCH good views!! I loved it :) Cristina was good at telling us where to find the trails, as well as other guests who had also enjoyed them.

Beach:
The beach was my favorite part!! The pictures really do not do it justice. It is definitely one of the nicest beaches on the island. It is very clean and well kept. There are plenty of chairs so you don't have to arrive early and reserve one. There are palm trees to provide natural shade in case you don't want to be in the hot sun. It is just beautiful! Complimentary water and beach towels are available also.

Water taxi to Nelson's dockyard:
We loved taking the water taxi into Nelson's Dockyard for a couple of lunches and to explore. It was fun and highly recommended.

Paddle boarding:
My husband's favorite beach activity was the paddle boarding. I enjoyed it too! He needs an activity every now and then to keep him occupied and this was perfect! The water isn't choppy since it is in a harbor and the best part is all of the boats docked throughout. My husband would paddle around and get closer glimpse's at all of the boats. It was fun to see!

Spa:
I had a massage while I was there and I have to say...it was THE BEST massage I have ever received! I would go back for that alone. You definitely have to make a reservation in advance because the hotel calls a masseuse who comes in for your appointment. The treatment room is nothing fancy, but definitely clean.

Gift shop:
We didn't buy anything here, but stopped in to browse. It has clothes and other necessities that you might forget (sunscreen, bug spray, etc.)

Garden tour:
I highly recommend this! Personally, I don't have a green thumb but had heard about the Inn's garden from other trip advisor reviews. We decided to walk through on our own before check out. Lucky for us, the guy that runs the garden was working and gave us a complete and very thorough tour. He showed us the plants, let us taste some right from the garden and taught us which plants are natural remedies for various ailments. It was so informative and very interesting! I'm glad we didn't pass this opportunity by.

We have now stayed at three different hotels in Antigua and this is definitely our favorite. We are just counting down the time until we can go back!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,260 reviews
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
#1 of 15 in St. John's

Been to The Inn at English Harbour? Share your experiences!