“Exceeded expectations!”

The Inn at English Harbour
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in English Harbour
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This post is long over due!

My husband and I spent the first 5 nights of our honeymoon at The Inn in February. We had been to Antigua once before and loved English Harbour so decided we wanted a hotel nearby. We booked the Inn and never looked back!

Arrival:
The Inn arranged a driver to pick us up at the airport and transfer us to the hotel. It went very smoothly and was a comfortable ride to the hotel. The check in area of the Inn is beautiful..set on top of a steep hill that overlooks the beach and ocean. Check in was fast and our delicious welcome drinks made it even more pleasurable! Once checked in, a van drove us down to our room. It is not a far distance, but it is steep. Our luggage was waiting in our room when we arrived.

Room:
We stayed in a junior suite, which was very spacious and nice. It had a large bathroom and closet, double sinks, bed, sitting area, and drawers for clothes. It also had two large doors that opened up to a big patio. The bathroom had a hair dryer and other complimentary toiletries (soap, etc.) that were restocked daily. There was also a refrigerator filled with water and beer. There were some snacks (but I can't remember what they were). The only thing I wish was different were the beds. Ours was very comfortable, but it was two beds pushed together. It would have been nice to have a queen or king sized bed. Overall, the rooms were a comfortable place to retreat to after a busy day relaxing.

Service:
I have to say that the service at this hotel is what really stands out and some of the best service I have ever received. We stayed at a different hotel for the last 5 nights of our honeymoon that supposedly has the best service on the island, but I have to say that the Inn did better. I would go through and give examples but the list would go on and on. Basically, no request is too much. They want you to be happy and are never annoyed at a request (and if they are, they certainly never show it!). Everyone who works there seems genuinely happy to be there...it is such a great environment to be around for vacation.

Food:
The Terrace was my favorite restaurant that we ate at while on our honeymoon. It really is due to the combination of an outstanding atmosphere (think romantic and luxurious), delicious food and top notch service. I recommend eating there for dinner and going out for lunch if you are on half board. My husband and I both agree that it is the best!

The Reef restaurant was also VERY delicious! We at there for breakfast every day and then had two lunches as well. Everything tastes so fresh and is well prepared. You won't be disappointed! Also the view is perfect since it is literally right on the beach. Not a bad way to eat breakfast and lunch!

Activities:

Hiking:
We heard that there were some hiking trails close by and found them to have great views of the ocean and harbors. This was how we started our mornings. I recommend the hike to Shirley Heights. It is pretty steep at some parts, but not too long (took us about 30 minutes total) and has great look out points...the best being when you get to the top! Bring water because it gets hot. You also might want to bring some $ for the Shirley Heights gift store. We also did a hike...or what I would consider a "walk" out to the point and around the other side of the harbor. It has SUCH good views!! I loved it :) Cristina was good at telling us where to find the trails, as well as other guests who had also enjoyed them.

Beach:
The beach was my favorite part!! The pictures really do not do it justice. It is definitely one of the nicest beaches on the island. It is very clean and well kept. There are plenty of chairs so you don't have to arrive early and reserve one. There are palm trees to provide natural shade in case you don't want to be in the hot sun. It is just beautiful! Complimentary water and beach towels are available also.

Water taxi to Nelson's dockyard:
We loved taking the water taxi into Nelson's Dockyard for a couple of lunches and to explore. It was fun and highly recommended.

Paddle boarding:
My husband's favorite beach activity was the paddle boarding. I enjoyed it too! He needs an activity every now and then to keep him occupied and this was perfect! The water isn't choppy since it is in a harbor and the best part is all of the boats docked throughout. My husband would paddle around and get closer glimpse's at all of the boats. It was fun to see!

Spa:
I had a massage while I was there and I have to say...it was THE BEST massage I have ever received! I would go back for that alone. You definitely have to make a reservation in advance because the hotel calls a masseuse who comes in for your appointment. The treatment room is nothing fancy, but definitely clean.

Gift shop:
We didn't buy anything here, but stopped in to browse. It has clothes and other necessities that you might forget (sunscreen, bug spray, etc.)

Garden tour:
I highly recommend this! Personally, I don't have a green thumb but had heard about the Inn's garden from other trip advisor reviews. We decided to walk through on our own before check out. Lucky for us, the guy that runs the garden was working and gave us a complete and very thorough tour. He showed us the plants, let us taste some right from the garden and taught us which plants are natural remedies for various ailments. It was so informative and very interesting! I'm glad we didn't pass this opportunity by.

We have now stayed at three different hotels in Antigua and this is definitely our favorite. We are just counting down the time until we can go back!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank CourtneyC978

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Beautiful rooms, great location, exceptionally friendly staff and surprisingly good food. Everything exceeded expectations. A top pick if you're coming to Antigua and have a bit of budget to spare. We recommend the upper floor suites.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sean O
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We love this hotel; everything about it is first class! You must do the garden tour, it's amazing. The ferry over to Nelson's dockyard is a must too. The restaurant is wonderful and the staff are lovely. We have been twice so far and will definitely be going again. The perfect place to relax and chill out.

I would recommend without reservation, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We do not feel we can adequately describe our visit to The Inn at English Harbour but here goes.
We have just had an absolutely brilliant, amazing and perfect honeymoon.
We both feel so privileged and blessed to have spent time here in Antigua, in such a luxurious location, and with so many lovely and friendly people. We have never felt so looked after. The service and staff are simply world class.
There are too many people to mention so please a big massive shout out to everybody. Thank you so much for making it such a special time for both of us.
Julie & Jason

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 23. It was perfect
6  Thank Jason M
Reviewed June 7, 2014

For our stay on the island (End of May) we traveled a fair bit. Seeing allot of the island and a fair few hotels. This was in my opinion the best. Friendly staff, top location for the harbour, with a boat device to take you there and back in the day.

Room Tip: Beach rooms are quite close to the beach and probably nice at night time, but nicer to have one of t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank Harry F
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for two weeks in May. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Antigua.

We stayed in a junior suite and it was a lovely large room. Nice bathroom, good air-con and ceiling fans.

The beach is decent and there is always plenty of available sun loungers. Fresh towels and water are available (complementary) all day long. Fresh fruit is brought round mid-morning and in the afternoon tea is served in the beach-side reef bar.

Breakfast can be as complex or as simple as you like. There is the option of buffet and / or cooked food. If you are staying half-board as we did all breakfast items are included in the price.

Lunch (like breakfast) is served in the reef bar (beach-side bar). An effort is made to change the table decorations between breakfast and lunchtime and give it a different feel. The lunch menu does not vary and there is not too much in the way of choice. Certainly if you are staying more than a few days you may want to consider taking the shuttle boat across to English harbour bars and restaurants for a bit of variety.

Evening meals are served in the main restaurant which is up a steep hill. A shuttle bus runs up and down the hill constantly and a call to reception has it collect you. It is rare to wait more than 3 minutes in our two week stay.

The food in the evenings is excellent and varied. There is an Italian theme night in Tuesdays and the food is excellent which is what you'd expect considering the owner / general manager is Italian. My girlfriend has a nut-allergy and this was taken reassuringly seriously (mainly / especially by Sherilyn) with only a few things that we're not suitable.

We tried the tennis courts a couple of times. My tennis is too poor to give an informed opinion of how good the courts were, but they seemed pretty good to me and rackets and balls were made available on request.

The good: the place is very well maintained and looks like a pocket of paradise. In the main the staff are excellent and you'll not regret meeting Ocean, Neil, Sherilyn, Vere and the others who do a great job. The owner / general manager is a professional and approachable gentlemen who clearly has high standards. Christina will actually organise events and day trips for you and she is very good so do go and see her. The creole lobster island snorkelling thing (it probably has a better name) was great so do it if you can. Shirley heights is only a couple of miles away and a taxi was laid on to take us there. It's a fun experience and I challenge anyone to drink three dark and stormy's and be able to stand upright!

Now if you've not been to antigua before up need to know about the tree frogs. They start making noise as soon as it is dark and they stop and soon as the sun comes up. Take ear plugs with you and wear them if you need them. The rooms are lovely but they don't have glass in the windows. Instead they have mesh to prevent bugs / Mosquitos and wooden slats to keep them dark and cool. Consequently you will hear everything that goes on outside.

The bad: well this is very subjective, but the seating in the evenings appears to be random at best. We had only two bad experiences in the main restaurant. For some reason the maître d decided on one night that our table would be better suited to someone else so rushed us through our food and handed us our bill, asking if we would vacate so that someone else could have the table. Strange as there were many other tables that were empty and we had wanted to listen to the live music that was playing on the terrace. My girlfriend hates confrontation so we acquiesced. There was also a sudden drop in service at the end of the two weeks, and a few of the other guests commented on this. I understood there was supposed to be a dress code at the main restaurant. This is enforced by the maître d based on factors that we could not discern. We saw some people that wore shorts being given a table and others turned away. I didn't think the dress code (trousers and a shirt) was overly severe so not sure why some struggled with it. But the resort can not be held responsible for the guests.

Should you stay here? Yes. It is excellent and you'll be spoilt rotten by most of the staff in this bit of paradise. A couple of tips: although it is not listed as such, the bar at the main restaurant will serve pre-dinner drinks from 6pm. Officially I think it is supposed to be from 7 but we and a few other couples were served with a smile so I guess it's okay. You can snorkel in the bay, but the bit of water by the resort is just not clear enough. However you can swim / kayak to a tiny beach about 300 metres away where the snorkelling is good. Just be aware there are some sea urchins and spikes things so be a bit careful. We had ECD but US dollars were accepted (and seem almost preferred) by everywhere we went. Your choose what you take but both seem to be accepted.

8  Thank Andrew N
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is a very special place. Stunning location, beautiful gardens, great food and warm & friendly staff that make it truly special. We stayed in one of the four Beach Cabanas, these are smaller than the other rooms, but had everything we needed. We loved the fact that we could hear the waves gently lapping on the shore from the room and that we could step straight out onto the beach.
We liked having breakfast & lunch at the Beach restaurant and then going up the hill to the Terrace restaurant for dinner, we heeded the advice of a previous reviewer and got there for 7pm or just after to make sure we got a table outside. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service was great too.
The gardens are beautiful, make sure you stop to chat to the guys who look after them, they will be more than happy to talk to you. They are so enthusiastic and passionate about the gardens and plants and you will learn so much from them. If you are really lucky they will cut down a coconut for you. Absolutely delicious, nothing like the dried out ones we get back in the UK.
At the end of our stay we were really sad to leave, but felt totally relaxed and pampered and are really looking forward to going back next year for twice as long. Can't give a better endorsement than that!!

Room Tip: Beach Cabanas, can't beat being right on the beach.
8  Thank MERLION04
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Carlisle Bay Antigua
Carlisle Bay Antigua
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to The Inn at English Harbour? Share your experiences!