“Great self-catered small business/student apt/hotel with supportive staff”

Caribbean Holiday Apartments
Ranked #8 of 15 St. John's B&B and Inns
Brades Montserrat
“Great self-catered small business/student apt/hotel with supportive staff”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Over the past year or so I have stated at VCH several times, on business-related trips of about one week duration each. The last trip was at the end of March this year (2011).

The staff picked me up -- at the Vere Bird Int'l Airport and at the Deep Water Harbour for different trips [about 15 - 20 mins travel time, off peak traffic hours, at the local speed limit, roads are LH drive, 2-lane asphalt top] -- and were uniformly courteous, friendly and supportive.

The first floor [UK count] apartments have been well laid out, with a kitchenette- dining- living area leading up a flight of stairs to a double bed and adjoining shower-bath, with cable TV. A/C is provided, but screened windows allow the trade winds to do a very good job of natural ventilation for those not happy with the artificial atmosphere provided by air conditioning. Just as is in the pictures in the hotel's own web site.

Temperatures in the EC are usually low-mid 80's F during day, sinking to 70's at night.

There is a parking area, there is a gym downstairs, and the 20 or 22 buses to and from the bus station in St Johns next to the Vere Bird statue/portrait -- painted in real life colours (how the old Greek statues really were) -- pass right by the front gate; just ask for the Gym over the Bridge.

A gas station with a convenience store is around the corner, on the road to the S. Across town, there are several reasonable supermarkets. Be prepared for Caribbean -- imported and dutied -- prices on grocery items. Be prepared for the same on gas prices.

The location, beyond "Golden Grove" [IIRC] and across from Big Creek, over the Chinese Friendship Bridge, is just outside of St Johns, about 1/2 mile from the State College. The road passing by the front leads on to the South part of Antigua.

The beach is a short hike away, though I have had no reason to use it.

(Maybe I should bring a travel rod with 6 or 10 lb thin diameter line and some 1/4 oz or so shad tail baits next time -- small, Walleye size will do, from experience on a next door island, 30 miles away; and in Barbados, 300 miles away -- and try for a jack or two; a sand-bug or a bit of shrimp should pick up a small pompano or croaker or small scaled threadfin or the like in the inshore wash or the first dropoff; panfish sized and fit for the pan too. That might be a useful early morning hike. The creek under the bridge may have interesting prospects, too.)

As a former graduate student who lived on the Mona Campus UWI Ja in a very similar apt [2nd floor, UK count] and as an owner of a Strata Plan 2-BR in New Kgn Ja of similar plan, this apt is suitable for the regional or international business traveller who wants a small and conveniently located hotel rm/apt to serve as a base for business operations, or for students in an offshore school.

Suitable for short trips or fairly extended stays for students at an offshore school or the like.

GEM of TKI

PS: By now, as you can imagine, the staff are friends not just arms-length business acquaintances. Typical of the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Ask for what is available and what is deisred
Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank kairosfocus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We came late at night and traveled with small children. Despite lateness we were picked up at airport cheerfully and kindly and given our rooms. Our breakfast was a mixture of traditional local and international fare and was absolutely delicious. The owners are the most warm and caring people that made us feel as though we were coming to stay with friends. The rooms were spotless, the beds comfortable, and the place had a wonderful "YES! We've made it to the Island" feel.
I would recommend it without hesitation and would certainly stay there again if I ever get another chance to go to Antigua.
The Hotel is located along one of the main roads on the southwest side of the Island, and if one doesn't rent a car ( we did), public transportation is easily accessable.
A wonderful place with wonderful people!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Susannek11
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 27, 2010

My experience at Valley Creek Hotel was relaxing and enjoyable. The staff was fantastic and pleasant always willing to help.
The rooms are great, especially the fact there was a full kitchen to cook a meal.
Location. location, location, smack in the middle, especially to the beaches.
Also thanks letting my mom use the facility for my surprise birthday party on 8/13.
We will definately be staying with you in the future recommend your hotel...
Thank you very much for making my stay and trip to Antigua memorable...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Charmaine38
Mangaf, Kuwait
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Enjoyed my stay at Valley Creek. The rooms are set up as a home away from home, with everything I needed. I highly recommend anyone to stay there and will definitely stay there again. Close to everything, safe and most of all, you can get to over 10 different beaches within 15 minutes, not to mention the local food

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I was welcomed to this hotel with open arms and treated like a member of the family. I didn't ever have to sort out transportation for myself, either! It was great to have my own little apartment and the location was absolutely gorgeous! It's a great place to relax after a long day at work.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank youngfrancaise
Bermuda
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I was travelling to Antigua on Business and asked a friend of mine to book me into a hotel. For some reason she choose Valley Creek. When I arrived I told the owner that I did not want to stay there as it was not close enough to town.

After spending the first 3 days I was astonished as to how wonderful the accommodations were. In fact the hotel is only located 15 mins by the local bus which is how I get around as the bus stops right outside the hotel gate.

The Owner and her husband made me feel like family and I would have no hestiation in recommending this lovely hotel for any business trip. The nicest thing about it is that I would have all my meetings right in my room as the place is but ina condo style so on one had to see my bedroom.

Valley Creek for me is a wonderful place to stay and when I return to Antigua sometime in May I will be going back there for my stay.

I wish I had time to have taken photos of my stay and the property but I had so many meetings it was totoally impossible when I return i will surely do so.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Goodonyou
West London
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Valley Creek Hotel & Fitness Centre - I spent a week at this hotel and can say for sure I had a most relaxing holiday. The rooms are spacious and well designed. I was totally pampered with service. There is nothing too small or too large for the staff to do for you. I did not go to the gym while I was there but if you are that way inclined then the gym is for you. It has bikes, threadmills and for you men who want to "pump iron" then you have found your own little bit of paradise. Valley Creek is not located on the beach but other beautiful beaches are not very far from its location and most of them are within the local bus route which stops just outside the hotel and is not too expensive. From the outside the appearance does not do it justice - but once inside it is a totally difference atmosphere. Would I
recommend this hotel to my friends in London - you'd better bloody well believe it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Sugar Ridge
Sugar Ridge
#2 of 2 in Jolly Harbour

Been to Caribbean Holiday Apartments? Share your experiences!