“Beauty is sometimes only skin deep” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 57 things to do in St. John's
Jersey City, New Jersey
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Beauty is sometimes only skin deep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Reading the reviews of this beach, at a gated, all-inclusive resort, I can only assume that 90% of reviewers' expertise is from a chaise lounge high on the sand. Yes, the beach is beautiful; yes, the beach is smooth sand, unlike that of a number of highly-rated resorts -- but there are some vacationers who actually go in the water, and who may want to know what lies beneath. It's not coral, as one obvious armchair reviewer imagines -- it's submerged rock. My first afternoon at the resort, I couldn't wait to go in the water. My mistake. Not having attended guest orientation -- which took place at 10 am the second day -- I didn't know to look for the small red flag on the beach, which signifies that waves and currents make bathing dangerous. I loved the water that first dip. But as I waded ashore, opposite my room, I stepped into a depression, and then felt my legs bang against a rock outcropping -- not once, but three times, because of the strong current. I came out of the water with a bloodied shin. Staff reaction? Totally concerned and sympathetic but also "Didn't I know to avoid the beach when the red flag was up? Didn't I know that there are submerged rocks 25 feet out or so along most of the beach?" No, I didn't. But the next day, my bruised leg obvious to neighboring guests, I was told "Oh, I see you found the rocks! Both of us scratched our knees, too." I never went back into the water at this beach, but enjoyed its view, and I also enjoyed the pool. I'm sure I'll come back to the resort -- it's wonderful, the best beach resort my wife and I have ever been to -- but next time I'll be more careful. My wife had no trouble apart from a cut toe on the same rock outcropping, and did go back in, on the northern end of the beach, the end with the fewest submerged rocks, and only when the red flag was not up. We agree that the beach at Half Moon Bay is more beautiful, with no rock outcroppings and no need for flags, but also more than an hour away from this resort. We had an exceptional vacation, but my leg is still healing. Take care and enjoy the view.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Andrew K

Georgetown, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Paradise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We loved Antigua and the beaches. The best beach in Antigua on the west side is Deep Bay Beach. No rocks, gradual entry which is great for toddlers and pretty much deserted. We kayaked from galley bay over this beach as it was much calmer. Lots of rocks and very rough waves at Galley Bay.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank staging
Fairfield, Connecticut
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 378 helpful votes
“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

If you have a chance, visit this absolutely beautiful beach. The ocean is highly swimmable, the water clear, and the sand among the whitest and softest anywhere.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank JFsB
Elk Grove, California, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Good for swimming, GREAT for snorkeling and all other water sports!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Galley Bay Beach is where Galley Bay Resort is. It is beautiful, scenic, with much to do for those at the resort. It is a bit steep, so there is a 1 foot dropoff in some spots to get in and out of the water. The shallowest area to get in is right in front of the Sports Shack or the Bar. This was never a problem for us. No doubt, other beaches are shallower and more "tranquil" like Half Moon Bay and Deep Bay, but we just loved it! There was a bit of wave action which was fun! On the 2 days when the wind turned out of the southwest, the waves got bigger, the jellyfish came in, and it was awesome to watch! The flag at the resort was "yellow" not green. We swam anyway, just watching when the waves came in and out! (The jellyfish eventually subsided and went their merry way back into the sea!) But then after that, all was back to normal, beautiful crystal clear waters, small small wave action; my husband and I enjoyed frolicking there in the waves while we drank our Banana Slides! On each end of the bay, the snorkeling is grand, especially on the north end, near Armani's house, right around the bend from Deep Bay. We saw so much fish and sea life snorkeling right there! So this beach is perfect for the those who love to do everything in the water, not just swimming. The sailing and kayaking was great! There are certain areas where there is coral near the beach, just go in the ocean in a cleaner spot. I had no trouble swimming anytime except when the winds turned out of the south. For 10 days, I rarely got out of the water! and we had perfect weather!!! I don't think there are any facilities unless you are at the resort.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Lauren M
Huntsville, Ontario
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

This beach is stunning, just one resort on the beach and a few private places at the north end. A nice walk end to end, a few folks selling stuff but not pushy at all. neat little cove beach at the north end. Lots of coral under the surface so be careful.

Visited November 2012