“Exceptionally bad food, served in a cave”

The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Blu Pineapple Restaurant Is Closed. Please Refer To Nigels Restaurant And Bar For Details On The Restaurant Now Located In This Space
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The food we had here ranged from mediocre (a pineapple and avocado salad) to actively bad (mussels that didn't taste fresh over bland linguine). The fish water that was touted on the menu is broth with bland fish and cut up red peppers--nothing interesting about it and as with the mussels, the fish didn't taste very fresh. We ordered an ice cream sandwich dessert, thinking that this couldn't be screwed up, but it came out as two scoops of (tasted store-bought) cookies and cream ice cream. Somewhat oddly, the place is on a hill and has no windows, so in addition to bad food, you're eating it shut off from the natural beauty of the island. This was by far the worst meal of our trip to Antigua.

ShaunaJanzen, Owner at The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Hello joe a,

First of all let me say thank you for taking time to write a review. As the owner it is equally important to hear the good reviews as it is to hear the bad. I am baffled however at your review. We are not situated in a cave, nor do we claim to be a beach front restaurant with ample sunlight. We are however a family restaurant with ample windows and adequate mood lighting. If you were looking for a restaurant with open air, then I'd suggest the next time you do not choose to eat in a restaurant in the hills away from the beach and enclosed in four walls. I digress, in regards to the Mussels, we are in Antigua, far far away from Prince Edward Island where the mussels come from, and therefore they must be frozen for transportation. If we flew them in daily the cost would be ridiculous and the dish would surely be removed from our menu. If you were looking for fresh seafood, I would have recommended the Daily Catch as that is always fresh. Finally regarding the dessert, our apologies for mistaking your order of cookies and cream, for the cookies and cream ice cream. Had you advised my staff or myself we would have surely rectified it. Regardless, if you do choose to return to Antigua I hope you decide to give us another try.
All the best, and thank you again for your review. Shauna

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Don't leave Antigua without eating the fishwater soup here & the key lime pie. Sooo much flavor! My mom & I intended to share the soup but she was hesitant to give it back after trying it, which is uncharacteristic of her. After dinner we sat at the fantastic, big bar where it was easy to get very happily lost in the camaraderie. Was also really impressed by the hospitality of the owners. I'll definitely be back.

ShaunaJanzen, Owner at The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Hi scubascubagirl ,
Thank you for your review! The "Fish Water" is a definite favorite amongst the tourists who visit us and our regulars alike. I am glad you managed to look past the name, and give it a shot. It is not to be missed, and I've heard is one of the best on the island. Again, thank you for your review and I hope the next time you visit Antigua, you chose to dine with us again. All the best,
Shauna

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We were staying near by but glad to have discovered this restaurant.

The restaurant is pleasant inside, separate informal bar, and nice internal space, with fans to keep air circulating, enough light to see but not too bright. We were amused to hear Phil Collins in the background, but music was never too loud and made conversation easy.

Service was good, staff all friendly and responsive to our questions and requests. Important to note Antigua is not New York, and life is in generally less of a hurry, but compared to other restaurants we tried on the island, this was by far the most attentive, so when we wanted to get a meal in before our flight on the last evening. We knew they would not be making excuses when it was time to leave for the airport.

Food was good, and Chef and owner were genuinely interested in whether we were enjoying it.

Hi Giddyhoff,

Thank you for your review! I also appreciate the side note reminding people that in Antigua things move slow....very slow...Having grown up in Canada, I do what I can from a customer service perspective to ensure our customers fully enjoy their experience. One of the things that comes along with that is ensuring they don't wait too long for their food. I am glad you found us and could trust that we would deliver the food in a reasonable enough time for you to catch your flight home. We hope to see you again the next time you visit the island.

All the best, Shauna

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We walked about 15 minutes from Antigua Village to the restaurant with our 4 year old son. About half of it was a pleasant walk along the beach.

The interior of the restaurant was nicely decorated, clean, and comfortably lit. The menu had a good selection including a children's menu.
I had a rib dinner, my wife had a chicken dinner with a salad and my son had a cheese pasta plate. My wife, son,and I all very much enjoyed our meals. My son, who is usually a picky eater, finished more than usual. He also enjoyed his fruit punch which the bartender made especially for him. The waitress even lifted him up to the bar so he could talk to the bartender directly.

Shauna came to our table and chatted with us. My impression of her was she really cares that people have a good experience and if for any reason they didn't she'd quickly remedy it.

If it hadn't been our last night on the Island we would have definitely tried it again because all went very well.

Hello Tony M,
Thank you for your review! We are pleased that you found your experience a pleasant one and that your son also enjoyed his meal. I do hope the next time you visit Antigua you drop in again. I am constantly updating the menu to ensure our dishes are popular and meet the quality and expectations our customers expect.
Thanks again!
Shauna

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I live in Antigua and try to check out as many restaurants as possible with an open mind, that being said, Blu Pineapple was overall a decent experience lacking in many ways and making up for them in some. The service was extremely slow, as well as the wait staff seemingly either very interested in the quality of your visit or having no care whatsoever. It was nice to have the owner checking up on us three or four times throughout the meal, and the location is a nice, quaint location right off of Dickinson Bay.

The food we ordered was all recommended by the owner or waitress and came out within a decent time frame, contrary to other reviews here. We ordered a few types of wings, two pizzas, some house special drinks, and someone in our group ordered a pasta dish as well. It was very, very evident that the chef was not properly trained in pizza making as the Barbecue Chicken and regular Pepperoni we ordered were extremely bland and lacking of flavor. The crust was nice and perfectly thick, but the quality of the cheese on the pizza was very low and became stringy and solid after only a few minutes at the table. Very, very disappointing pizza from a 'pizza joint' coming from someone who has tried proper pizza everywhere from Chicago to New york to Italy. That being said, the wings were a pleasant surprise and probably some of the best we have had on the island. The Medium had a nice kick and were served with blue cheese, and the Honey Garlic had intense honey and garlic flavor while the wings themselves were decently fried. The drinks we had were nothing special but nonetheless well priced compared to other spots in Antigua, and my friend noted that the Pasta dish was mediocre, stating that she 'could have easily made it better at home'.

Overall a nice location with some potential upside, needs definite and immediate work on the pizza sauce and flavoring, topping and cheese quality, and service.

Hello TravelinandTastin,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our establishment. I am surprised to hear about your review of our Pizza. Our Pizza Chef, Gina, has been in this location for 15 years and has been making the Pizza's back into the Pari's Pizza days. I can imagine that the Pizza's may have been sitting on top of the oven to keep warm while the pasta dish you mentioned was being finished, this could have dried up the sauce and left it flavourless, none the less, I shall keep a very close eye on this, as our Pizza's are and have always been an island favorite.

About your friend's Pasta Dish, I wish I knew which one it is as we do have several on our menu, none the less, we do what we can to provide quality food at affordable prices.

I do hope you give our restaurant another shot as you do reside here, and I welcome your reviews in the future.

All the best, Shauna