“Disappointed”

The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: THE BLU PINEAPPLE RESTAURANT IS CLOSED. PLEASE REFER TO NIGELS RESTAURANT AND BAR FOR DETAILS ON THE RESTAURANT NOW LOCATED IN THIS SPACE
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Though not from Antigua, I have lived here for the last three years. I love trying different restaurants on the island and I decided to give Blu Pineapple a try, as I had checked out their website. I decided to take my mother in law, my wife and her two younger sisters to dinner. Unfortunately, my high expectations based on their website were let down. I give Blu Pineapple a failing grade.

First off, I could not tell that the entrance was the main entrance to the restaurant, as it seemed as if we were entering through a side kitchen door. We waited for about 20 minutes after being seated, before the waitress came to our table to get our drink orders. Upon her return with the drinks, the waitress just dropped all the bottles of water that we had ordered on the table like cutlery and turned her back. I was more than happy to stretch all over the table, open the bottles, and fill the glasses of everyone at the table. We were never asked if we were interested in other drinks for the rest of the evening, I had to ask. I deliberately ordered a drink which was supposedly on special, and to no surprise, I did not get the "special" price - I paid full price. The principle was what bothered me, not the fact. I ordered calamari as starters....I must say that I was really disappointed in the quality. The calamari was burnt....extremely dry and extremely crispy. Obviously the chef had no idea how calamari was supposed to have been prepared.

I am not sure if the kitchen was on fire, but the entire place was suddenly filled with smoke. The waitress came over to turn on a fan to try to blow the smoke away, which made absolutely no sense as the fan pulled more smoke from the kitchen and pushed it straight to our table. I ordered steak for my main, and after another 45 minutes, the steak came out together with the rest of the meals. When my meal arrived, the potato, which should have been hot, was ice cold. I hardly ever send my meals back to the kitchen, and if I do, I think three times about it, as I hate doing it; however, in this case, I just had to.

Shauna, overall my experience was disappointing. I think that you have a good location. My advise would be to firstly get your staff trained up. This is key....Customer service is key in your industry. Having your waitresses just standing in a corner doing their own thing and not paying attention to your guests will kill your business. They were also very far from friendly. Secondly your chef needs to stick to what he knows, and your menu should either be in line with what he can do, or get him trained up as well. Also, I do not think that there is any reason for you to have such an extensive menu as you do...I understand why you would want to, but it is not practical. Your chef will disappoint you, without a doubt.

Hope you see this as constructive criticism, and address the issues before it is too late.

2  Thank Jammy268
ShaunaJanzen, Owner at The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Hello Jammy268,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. As the owner of the restaurant I take every review and suggestion to heart, so I do not take any offense to your review. In fact, we have addressed several of your issues already, and as of January 2nd have a new menu in effect that does not include calamari. I can also assure that our staff has since been through a training course which has rectified the issues of the water and service (including smiling more!) mentioned in your review.

I apologize that you were charged full price for a drink that was on special, I shall speak to the staff about paying closer attention to the costing on client bills. In regards to the smoke, we did have an issue with our extraction fan in the kitchen which has also been rectified, however while it was broken we did have an issue with smoke from the grill filling the restaurant. Again, this has been rectified and we no longer have this issue.

In regards to the entrance, unfortunately the building has been that way since 1971 when it was constructed and because I do not own the building, I have no way to change it, I do believe however it is part of the charm and has no reflection on the experience or the ambiance once you enter.

I do hope, seeing as you live here, that you do give our restaurant another try as we have dealt with most of not all of the issues you addressed. Again, thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your experience, I look forward to making it up to you the next time you visit us.

All the best, Shauna

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a reincarnation of a restaurant at a location the is somewhat hard to find. They are trying to improve their wine list. They serve pizza which is erasable and tasty. Need to work a little bit on the crust. Their entrees are reasonably priced and cooked well. We will try it again next visit.

Hello Golf-Pops,
Thank you for taking time to submit a review of our restaurant. We are still in the process of revamping our wine list and have added some excellent additions to it. Unfortunately we are in a rather out of the way location, but are working on getting signage around the area to instruct those looking for us where we are. I shall chat with the Pizza Chef about the crust as it is one of the reasons people tend to prefer our pizza's over the competitions pizza's, however I'm not quite sure as to what the issue was, but shall make sure she is keeping a close eye on it. I look forward to seeing you upon your next visit, and thank you again for your review. Cheers, Shauna

Reviewed January 14, 2014

This restaurant is 2 minutes uphill walk from Halcyon Grove Hotel or 8 minutes from Sandals. Visited for dinner. Very easy going, nice varied menu and we had great Pizza and fresh steak which made a nice change from the hotels variable dishes of chicken and rice! Wine was lovely and moorish. The owner has recently taken over the restaurant and takes times with all her diners, she managed to get us to try some local dishes as we were reluctant, including the fish soup which my husband practically had the bowl to his face and woofed it down (classy!) but stunningly lovely with lots of herbs and chilli's. I wish her lots of luck as she really wants the place to work and puts in so much love and effort to make sure customers are happy. If your looking for good wine, change of scenery, amazing customer service and some "proper feel good food" then come here. x

ShaunaJanzen, Owner at The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Hello Lemontree99,
Thank you for taking time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and that your short trek up the hill from Halcyon proved to be a pleasant surprise. I always try my best to ensure those visiting have an experience and sometimes step out of the box to try a local dish or two. I am pleased your husband enjoyed the "Fish Water", it has become a favorite around these parts. :) I look forward to seeing you both again, should you return to Antigua, and look forward to building a strong following for this restaurant, it is after all something I truly love doing. All the best to you and your husband! Cheers, Shauna

Reviewed January 12, 2014

A group of us decided to give the Blu Pineapple a go of it after a high recommendation from a young lady at the little grocery store where we stayed gave it a glowing review. We figured what did we have to lose. The young lady strongly suggested reservations and we took her advice and phoned ahead. Upon arriving at the Blu Pineapple, we were greeted by a Chef who stated they were known for their pizzas. Upon entering the Blu Pineapple, we noted there was a different signage in the doorway that referenced a pizza shop, which must have been a previous owner.

The hostess took us to our table and we were seated. We sat for a quite a while before anyone took a drink order. The owner, Shauna, did come to our table and introduced herself and told us about herself, the restaurant and the food and suggestions we should try, one of which was lobster bisque. Shauna also suggested a couple drinks. A waiter followed up and took our drink orders. The drinks Shauna had suggested were different, they weren't bad but they definitely were not in the same category with a mudslide.

After half hour or so, another waitress came by a took our order for an appetizer and dinner order. When tried to order lobster bisque, our waitress informed us the restaurant didn't have any. We thought that was odd because Shauna indicated it was one of the specialties and we should give it a try. We settled on for mussels over linguine, along with a couple of calzones, a pizza and conch fritters, a salad and fish water. The fish water was another suggestion made by Shauna, as was the calzones. Shauna praised the fish water and stated her Chef's calzones were the best on the island.

The fish water was first dish to arrive to the table. Our friend decided to sample it while we were waiting for other food to arrive. His exact words upon sampling the fish water was "it took his breath away" because he wasn't expecting it to be as spicey as it was. The spiciness overpowered everything else that was included in the dish. One couldn't taste the kinds of fish that were included in the fish water.

Next, the mussels with the linguine arrived. This dish was fantastically flavored. The mussels were cooked perfectly, not over or underdone. The sauce over the linguine was scrumptious and the linguine noodles were cooked to perfection. Unfortunately, the perfection for the remainder of the that food followed ended with this dish.

When the calzones arrived, they were bland, with no taste. My calzone was pepperoni with cheese and mushrooms - I've never had a calzone cooked with absolutely no marinara sauce. Pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese placed between doe and then baked and that was it. I had to request marinara sauce on the side to give some flavor to the calzone. My friend's wife's calzone had raw meat inside of it and it was poultry. When we called the waitress over to let her know the poultry was raw, the response from the waitress was strange. The waitress looked at our friend like she had two heads as if to say "why can't you eat raw poultry." The waitress did not want to return the calzone to the kitchen to have it cooked properly.

After about another half hour, another waiter came to the table to deliver the conch fritters. He too, inquired whether everything was all right. Our friend inquired where her calzone was and she proceeded to tell the waiter that it had raw poultry in it. The waiter was appalled that someone brought her a raw calzone to the table and immediately went to the kitchen to check on her order. A few minutes later, he brought her calzone back to her. Needless to say, our friend checked her calzone over completely cooked before attempting to eat it.

The conch fritters were a complete disappointment. There was no flavor to them at all. The only flavor that could be attributed to them was the accompanying curry mayonnaise, which was too spicey to eat.

After all of this had occurred, Shauna made her way back to our table again to check on us and to inquire how our meals were. We told her about the raw meat in the calzone so she was well aware of the situation. Shauna inquired whether we were going to have dessert to which we replied we were. Earlier Shauna informed us to make sure we tried the key lime pie because she had the best pastry chefs on the island, all of her desserts were awesome.

The waitress came to take our dessert order and when we tried to order key lime pie, we were immediately informed there was no key lime pie at the restaurant. An inquiry was made about the banana flambé to which the waitress replied "the bananas are sliced and placed on a grill and they are grilled." I really don't think that's what flambé means. Our friends ordered the chocolate cookies with ice cream and we ordered the banana flambé. We also ordered coffee with our dessert. Each of us received 1/2 cup of coffee about 1/2 hour before the desserts arrived at the table.

Shauna returned to our table before our desserts were delivered to the table. My friend brought her attention to the fact that our coffee cups were only half filled. Shauna looked at the half full coffee cups and laughed. Shauna asked us if she ordered the key lime pie to which we replied we had not because we were informed she was out. Shauna looked stunned that she was out of a dessert that she was telling everyone in the restaurant to order and stated that her staff should be informing her when the kitchen runs out of things. Again, Shauna laughed about the coffee and made no effort to do anything about it.

I'm not going to go into how bad it was trying to cut into the cookies or scoop the flambé sauce with spoons that are about three inches long. Nor will I discuss the length of time it took to get our checks. But suffice it to say, we were at the Blu Pineapple for 3 1/2 hours for a dinner that should have taken 1 1/2 hours to serve. We were on vacation and we do know how to have a good time so we made the best of a not so good situation. We were not expecting a free meal out of the comedy of errors that kept coming, but at the very least, we would have expected Shauna to acknowledge what had occurred. That is what good customer service is about.

1  Thank mspnd
ShaunaJanzen, Owner at The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Hello mspnd,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. First of all let me apologize for your experience with us. I do recall your table well, however, do not recall any complaints to me directly about the food being undercooked, or the coffee being only half full. Did I not offer to get you a refill or another cup? This comment seems to be very much unlike me, and frankly is baffling. I do however recall the conversation about the Key Lime Pie, as I immediately advised the kitchen they need to communicate with me on what they are out of so I am not recommending dishes we do not have any of. Rest assured we have since rectified the communication issue.

In regards to the lobster bisque, I recall advising you when you asked about it that we did not have any in and suggested the fish water and also advising you all that the soup had a “kick” to it. Unfortunately had I know you were very sensitive to spice, I would not have recommended it.

In regards to your Calzone, I simply cannot believe one of my staff would have asked anyone, let alone a customer, if they could not eat the chicken raw without it being in a joking or sarcastic manner towards the kitchen. Furthermore, as I mentioned, I checked on your table frequently and none of these issues were brought to my attention other than the key lime pie being out. Did I not comp anything on your bill? Did I not offer you any alternatives?

Regardless, I am sorry your experience with us was not one that we strive to provide and as you can see, with the exception of your friend, who left pretty much the same review, Naginalf, we do our best to ensure the experiences of our guests is one they enjoy. I do hope the next time you are on the island you choose to give us another shot. I guarantee you will have a much better experience. Cheers, Shauna

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We visited here on our trip to Antigua between the 02nd to the 06th January, 2014. The restaurant was located just across the road from our cottage and that coupled with the 10% discount card we received upon check in made it a must try. We attended on Friday around 8:00 pm. The place itself is quaint and not very large. The lighting is good, not so bright as to make it not private and not so dim as to make it difficult to see the surroundings. Upon entry we were warmly greeted by an attendant and seated and the owner herself came to meet us to welcome us. Drink came relatively quickly but we unfortunately has to wait over and hour for our meals which got to us around 9:30 pm. This may have been as a result of it being Friday and the place having a decent crowd. The upside to it was that the owner did recognise the delay and apologised profusely for same offering us a complementary bottle of wine to make up. The food itself was varied, while the Satay Indonesian chicken my girlfrined had and the chicken our friend Chad had were excellent, my seafood platter left me wanting as the mussels were good but the fish severely overdone and hard. Our other friend, Veena's chicken alfredo was also disappointing as it was somewhat dry and lacked alfredo sauce. Ultimately we did not accept the offer of the wine but the owner did insist we have desert which the kitchen graciously packed for us as we were tired and somewhat full.Overall the ambiance is nice, the food not bad, depending on what you order, the prices good and the customer service above par. It is one of the few places to get a good meal close to the stretch of cottages and hotels and I would recommend you try it.

Hello MichaelVialva,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear the Chicken Alfredo and Catch was overcooked. We do strive to provide excellent food so I shall ensure my chef is aware of this and pays close attention to his timing, especially when we are busy. I do hope the next time you return you shall give us another try. Again, I appreciate you taking time to write us a review and I hope we will be able to leave a better impression the next time you choose to visit our establishment.
Cheers, Shauna