“Tried to make the best of a disappointing situation.”

The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Blu Pineapple Restaurant Is Closed. Please Refer To Nigels Restaurant And Bar For Details On The Restaurant Now Located In This Space
Cleveland, Ohio
“Tried to make the best of a disappointing situation.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

A group of us decided to give the Blu Pineapple a go of it after a high recommendation from a young lady at the little grocery store where we stayed gave it a glowing review. We figured what did we have to lose. The young lady strongly suggested reservations and we took her advice and phoned ahead. Upon arriving at the Blu Pineapple, we were greeted by a Chef who stated they were known for their pizzas. Upon entering the Blu Pineapple, we noted there was a different signage in the doorway that referenced a pizza shop, which must have been a previous owner.

The hostess took us to our table and we were seated. We sat for a quite a while before anyone took a drink order. The owner, Shauna, did come to our table and introduced herself and told us about herself, the restaurant and the food and suggestions we should try, one of which was lobster bisque. Shauna also suggested a couple drinks. A waiter followed up and took our drink orders. The drinks Shauna had suggested were different, they weren't bad but they definitely were not in the same category with a mudslide.

After half hour or so, another waitress came by a took our order for an appetizer and dinner order. When tried to order lobster bisque, our waitress informed us the restaurant didn't have any. We thought that was odd because Shauna indicated it was one of the specialties and we should give it a try. We settled on for mussels over linguine, along with a couple of calzones, a pizza and conch fritters, a salad and fish water. The fish water was another suggestion made by Shauna, as was the calzones. Shauna praised the fish water and stated her Chef's calzones were the best on the island.

The fish water was first dish to arrive to the table. Our friend decided to sample it while we were waiting for other food to arrive. His exact words upon sampling the fish water was "it took his breath away" because he wasn't expecting it to be as spicey as it was. The spiciness overpowered everything else that was included in the dish. One couldn't taste the kinds of fish that were included in the fish water.

Next, the mussels with the linguine arrived. This dish was fantastically flavored. The mussels were cooked perfectly, not over or underdone. The sauce over the linguine was scrumptious and the linguine noodles were cooked to perfection. Unfortunately, the perfection for the remainder of the that food followed ended with this dish.

When the calzones arrived, they were bland, with no taste. My calzone was pepperoni with cheese and mushrooms - I've never had a calzone cooked with absolutely no marinara sauce. Pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese placed between doe and then baked and that was it. I had to request marinara sauce on the side to give some flavor to the calzone. My friend's wife's calzone had raw meat inside of it and it was poultry. When we called the waitress over to let her know the poultry was raw, the response from the waitress was strange. The waitress looked at our friend like she had two heads as if to say "why can't you eat raw poultry." The waitress did not want to return the calzone to the kitchen to have it cooked properly.

After about another half hour, another waiter came to the table to deliver the conch fritters. He too, inquired whether everything was all right. Our friend inquired where her calzone was and she proceeded to tell the waiter that it had raw poultry in it. The waiter was appalled that someone brought her a raw calzone to the table and immediately went to the kitchen to check on her order. A few minutes later, he brought her calzone back to her. Needless to say, our friend checked her calzone over completely cooked before attempting to eat it.

The conch fritters were a complete disappointment. There was no flavor to them at all. The only flavor that could be attributed to them was the accompanying curry mayonnaise, which was too spicey to eat.

After all of this had occurred, Shauna made her way back to our table again to check on us and to inquire how our meals were. We told her about the raw meat in the calzone so she was well aware of the situation. Shauna inquired whether we were going to have dessert to which we replied we were. Earlier Shauna informed us to make sure we tried the key lime pie because she had the best pastry chefs on the island, all of her desserts were awesome.

The waitress came to take our dessert order and when we tried to order key lime pie, we were immediately informed there was no key lime pie at the restaurant. An inquiry was made about the banana flambé to which the waitress replied "the bananas are sliced and placed on a grill and they are grilled." I really don't think that's what flambé means. Our friends ordered the chocolate cookies with ice cream and we ordered the banana flambé. We also ordered coffee with our dessert. Each of us received 1/2 cup of coffee about 1/2 hour before the desserts arrived at the table.

Shauna returned to our table before our desserts were delivered to the table. My friend brought her attention to the fact that our coffee cups were only half filled. Shauna looked at the half full coffee cups and laughed. Shauna asked us if she ordered the key lime pie to which we replied we had not because we were informed she was out. Shauna looked stunned that she was out of a dessert that she was telling everyone in the restaurant to order and stated that her staff should be informing her when the kitchen runs out of things. Again, Shauna laughed about the coffee and made no effort to do anything about it.

I'm not going to go into how bad it was trying to cut into the cookies or scoop the flambé sauce with spoons that are about three inches long. Nor will I discuss the length of time it took to get our checks. But suffice it to say, we were at the Blu Pineapple for 3 1/2 hours for a dinner that should have taken 1 1/2 hours to serve. We were on vacation and we do know how to have a good time so we made the best of a not so good situation. We were not expecting a free meal out of the comedy of errors that kept coming, but at the very least, we would have expected Shauna to acknowledge what had occurred. That is what good customer service is about.

1 Thank mspnd
ShaunaJanzen, Owner at The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hello mspnd,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. First of all let me apologize for your experience with us. I do recall your table well, however, do not recall any complaints to me directly about the food being undercooked, or the coffee being only half full. Did I not offer to get you a refill or another cup? This comment seems to be very much unlike me, and frankly is baffling. I do however recall the conversation about the Key Lime Pie, as I immediately advised the kitchen they need to communicate with me on what they are out of so I am not recommending dishes we do not have any of. Rest assured we have since rectified the communication issue.

In regards to the lobster bisque, I recall advising you when you asked about it that we did not have any in and suggested the fish water and also advising you all that the soup had a “kick” to it. Unfortunately had I know you were very sensitive to spice, I would not have recommended it.

In regards to your Calzone, I simply cannot believe one of my staff would have asked anyone, let alone a customer, if they could not eat the chicken raw without it being in a joking or sarcastic manner towards the kitchen. Furthermore, as I mentioned, I checked on your table frequently and none of these issues were brought to my attention other than the key lime pie being out. Did I not comp anything on your bill? Did I not offer you any alternatives?

Regardless, I am sorry your experience with us was not one that we strive to provide and as you can see, with the exception of your friend, who left pretty much the same review, Naginalf, we do our best to ensure the experiences of our guests is one they enjoy. I do hope the next time you are on the island you choose to give us another shot. I guarantee you will have a much better experience. Cheers, Shauna

Peñal, Saint Patrick, Trinidad and Tobago
“Quaint place with good and bad”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We visited here on our trip to Antigua between the 02nd to the 06th January, 2014. The restaurant was located just across the road from our cottage and that coupled with the 10% discount card we received upon check in made it a must try. We attended on Friday around 8:00 pm. The place itself is quaint and not very large. The lighting is good, not so bright as to make it not private and not so dim as to make it difficult to see the surroundings. Upon entry we were warmly greeted by an attendant and seated and the owner herself came to meet us to welcome us. Drink came relatively quickly but we unfortunately has to wait over and hour for our meals which got to us around 9:30 pm. This may have been as a result of it being Friday and the place having a decent crowd. The upside to it was that the owner did recognise the delay and apologised profusely for same offering us a complementary bottle of wine to make up. The food itself was varied, while the Satay Indonesian chicken my girlfrined had and the chicken our friend Chad had were excellent, my seafood platter left me wanting as the mussels were good but the fish severely overdone and hard. Our other friend, Veena's chicken alfredo was also disappointing as it was somewhat dry and lacked alfredo sauce. Ultimately we did not accept the offer of the wine but the owner did insist we have desert which the kitchen graciously packed for us as we were tired and somewhat full.Overall the ambiance is nice, the food not bad, depending on what you order, the prices good and the customer service above par. It is one of the few places to get a good meal close to the stretch of cottages and hotels and I would recommend you try it.

• Visited January 2014
Hello MichaelVialva,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear the Chicken Alfredo and Catch was overcooked. We do strive to provide excellent food so I shall ensure my chef is aware of this and pays close attention to his timing, especially when we are busy. I do hope the next time you return you shall give us another try. Again, I appreciate you taking time to write us a review and I hope we will be able to leave a better impression the next time you choose to visit our establishment.
Cheers, Shauna
Chelsea, Canada
“Discovered this restaurant too late!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We went the last night of our trip and we were very surprised that finally this restaurant serves great meals. A real salad with avocados! The fries were amazing. My mexican hamburger was delicious. My two girls ordered the chocolate dessert that was sublime. Too bad that we could not go back since we were leaving the next day. I recommend this restaurant.

Visited January 2014
ShaunaJanzen, Owner at The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hello mandesjardins,
Thank you for your review! I am pleased your entirely family enjoyed your experience with us. Although I am sad you discovered us on the last evening here, I am happy you managed to experience a dinner with us, and it made your last evening a good one. :) I do hope the next time you choose to visit Antigua you stop in and check us out again. Again, thank you for your review. All the best, Shauna
Cleveland, Ohio
“Maybe it was an off night for the chef???”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We came here with high hopes based on a recommendation from a local person on the island. The owner visited tables and talked with those dining. The Prince Edward Island mussel selection was excellent. However, that is where it ended. Our calzone came out with completely uncooked chicken hanging out of the crust, which means that both the chef and the server could see it. Conch Fritters had no flavor. They were out of lobster bisque, key lime pie and crepes. The banana flambe was disappointing and the cookie with chocolate sauce was so hard that it couldn't be eaten. I asked for coffee and received half a cup. When the owner came to our table I showed her the coffee and she didn't even offer to have it filled up.This cost me about $4.00 US for half a cup. A giant cockroach roamed the dining room floor while we waited for 30 minutes to receive our check after asking for it twice. Our check was incorrectly calculated and the waitress did not want to correct it. Most restaurants would have "comped" drinks, desserts or the whole meal after all of these issues....not here!

1 Thank Naginalf
Hello Naginalf, First of all thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am horribly sorry to hear of your experience with us! This, as you can see from other reviews, is NOT how we operate. I am not entirely sure who you complained to about the coffee, because had it been brought to my attention I am sure I would have “comped” a $4US coffee, or at least provided you with a refill...maybe I was unaware you were unsatisfied? I do tend to check on each table frequently and would have appreciated you advising me directly of your unsatisfaction. I can't say for sure, but believe me, had I known, we would have made things right, or at least addressed your concerns in a satisfactory manner. I will speak to my staff about these issues as I was unfortunately not aware of them, and frankly am saddened that your experience was not the one we strive to provide each of our guests. About the cockroach, we are in the Caribbean, and as an outsider it is often hard to imagine that they exist, however they are everywhere and are a part of daily life in Antigua. We do however spray and receive monthly maintenance to avoid these pest from showing their ugly little heads, you just happened to see one who survived. Again, thank you again for your review, it is equally important for us to hear the good and the bad. I do hope the next time you visit, you choose to give us another try. All the best, Shauna
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, friendly staff!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had dinner here last night-really enjoyed our visit. The menu has a good variety, includes local dishes like fishwater (this is so good, like a boulabaise but more flavorful-- you should try it here). We had perfectly grilled mahi and the best deserts made in house: we enjoyed the key lime pie and black pineapple crepe. We felt like the staff cared about their customers here, especially when the chef came out to see us. One of our best dining experiences in Antigua was at Blu Pineapple :)

1 Thank Roberta S
ShaunaJanzen, Owner at The Blu Pineapple Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Hi raleighpeanut , Thank you for taking time to write us a review! So happy to hear you enjoyed the "Fish Water", we have been told by any ours is the best on the island. We strive to provide the best food and service in our area at reasonable price, and am happy you enjoyed your meal as well as your experience with us. All the best for a prosperous 2014 and we hope to see you the next time you visit the island. Cheers, Shauna