“Extreme Tour - the most i have laughed on a day out on a boat !!”
Review of Adventure Antigua

Adventure Antigua
Ranked #2 of 43 Tours in St. John's
More attraction details
Owner description: Locally owned and operated, educational, adventure boat company guiding to little islands and secluded bays off the beaten track. Tours have themes of history and ecology mixed in with the best snorkeling and sightseeing. All of the crew are passionate about the island and it's unique coastline and their goal is to make sure your day spent on one of their boats is the best you will experience while in the Caribbean.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
purley
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Extreme Tour - the most i have laughed on a day out on a boat !!”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We have previously done the Eco Tour as my boys were to small for the Extreme Tour, this year they were 10 and 6 so we thought we would give it a go, i can honestly say it was absolutely fantastic and very Extreme, i dont normally like boats or bouncing about in them but this trip had me smiling for most of the day bouncing across the water in this fab boat, the crew were all really lovely and the captain was great, the stops were all good and i loved the rum punch stop on Rendezvous Bay so much so i actually forgot i hate swimming in the sea and ventured off the boat to the lovely beach there, it was great fun watching my boys in the water at Stingray City although they were much braver than me and actually got in and swam with them, the only disappointment was that we couldn't book it again for our second week but it will be a trip we will definitely do again next year i have honestly never laughed so much with my boys we all had a fantastic day out

2 Thank kellys6

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The only way to see the real Antigua”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I've been going to Antigua now, on and off, for just over 25 years (so you have an idea of the perspective I'm writing from I'm now 29), but my first time on the Adventure Antigua 'Extreme Tour' was only four years ago, and every time I've been back to Antigua since I make sure that this trip is the first thing I book up, and will continue to do so. I really couldn't recommend it enough, whether you've been going for years, are visiting for a week's vacation, or if you're stepping off a cruise for just the day.

To give you a bit of an insight, the extreme tour takes you all the way around the island, stopping off at some of the most stunning locations the Island (and possibly the Caribbean) has to offer, which are only accessible by boat. Parts of the trip will be done at speed (hitting 45 knots or so on the flat Caribbean side of the island), but the gentle Atlantic swell on the east side is taken a little more leisurely, and always in comfort. The boat is definitely fit for purpose and given the limited numbers on the trip you feel like you're getting quite a private experience.

On board will be a mix of people from all over, and of all ages, although on the trips I've been there weren't any young families, but I think this must be as I tend to travel outside of the school vacation periods; plus if I was around 8-12 (and upwards) I'd have loved this. Also on board are the captain and two crew members, each of whom are very knowledgeable of the island, fun and charming. As you go around they will give you some history of the island, including English Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard, and also fill you in on the properties of the rich and famous. You'll be very well looked after throughout, the food is great and you'll be well-watered (the rum punch comes out towards the end of the tour, after the activities).

So, if you've been going to Antigua for a while and haven't done this - book up! You'll no doubt see some awesome spots you haven't seen before and I'm sure you'll learn something about Antigua (even if you think you know it pretty well - like I thought I did). If you're going for the first time and take the tour you'll be way ahead of the game - plus from the boat you'll also be able to plan the other beaches you should check out during your stay (like Halfmoon bay) and get tips from the guys on board as to where else is particularly worth visiting (which you may not get in a guide book/travel brochure). And if you're just visiting for the day this is a no brainer - you'll avoid the crowds and the corporate charters that barely scratch the surface, and see the best of what the island has to offer.

I've recommended this trip to all sorts of people - mates on a 'girlfriends have no holiday left, reckon we can get a way with a week in the caribbean kitesurfing?' trip, friends on their honeymoon, and my parent's friends, and they've all come back raving about this. You won't be disappointed.

Many thanks to Captain Ross, Trevor and Serge for the last trip.

Visited December 2011
4 Thank Matt_Bloomfield81
Germany
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“A fantastic day on the Xtreme Circumnav tour!”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My husband and I just got home from our latest vacation. This time, it was to the southern Caribbean, where we spent a week on the SeaDream I. Our cruise started on the beautiful island of Antigua. Antigua is enchanting, but it's not as tourist friendly as, say, Puerto Rico. SeaDream does not allow cruisers to embark before 2:00pm and we had to be checked out of our hotel by noon. Last time we cruised on SeaDream, we made the mistake of not having anything to do and ended up hanging around the cruise port in San Juan and eating a big lunch at a local restaurant. This time, I wanted to keep us occupied until we could board our ship.

Having searched TripAdvisor for suggestions, I found several reviews singing the praises of Adventure Antigua, a tour operation started by Antigua native Eli Fuller that offers boat tours and charters around Antigua. Adventure Antigua has several tours available which occur on different days of the week. Perhaps Eli's most popular tour is the Eco Tour, which is on a 52 foot powercat. This tour runs all day and is designed to teach tourgoers about Antigua's ecology as well as give them a chance to swim, hike, and snorkel in some beautiful places. The Eco Tour was enticing, but we ultimately chose the Xtreme Circumnav tour, which is given on a 45 foot speedboat that travels around the island of Antigua at speeds of up to 40 miles per hour. Having looked at the choices available on Adventure Antigua's Web site, we thought the Xtreme Circumnav tour would give us the most bang for our bucks. It's a good thing we felt that way, because it turned out the Xtreme tour was the only one being offered on Sunday, November 13th.

Booking

Once I had convinced my husband that we needed to take Eli's Xtreme Circumnav tour, I sent an email requesting more information. I was most concerned about when the tour would end, since I didn't want to miss too much of our time on SeaDream. We also had some logistical concerns, since the port in Antigua doesn't have a place to store luggage and we would be checking out of our hotel the morning of the 13th. I knew we would have to leave our luggage at the hotel and go back to get it after the tour, and I wasn't sure how long that would take. Adventure Antigua got back to me quickly and was very forthcoming with information. I was convinced the time frame would work for us. The cost would be $153 per person.

The next step was to make a formal request and give Adventure Antigua a deposit of approximately $25 per person for a total of $50. This deposit was done by credit card and charged in Eastern Caribbean dollars. Because of the money conversion system, the deposit didn't work out to exactly $50, but the difference was very minor. The balance of the tour for the two of us was $256, which was to be paid in cash when we boarded the boat. Those who want to pay by credit card may do so, but will pay $170 per person instead of $153.

What you get for your money

The Xtreme Circumnav tour may seem pricey, but for the cost of admission, you get a six hour tour which includes information about the island, admission to Stingray City Marine Park, where you can swim with the stingrays, fruit juices, a full lunch, snorkeling gear and instruction, and at the end of the tour, some killer rum punch.

What should you bring/wear?

Wear a swimsuit under your clothes, sandals, and a hat. Bring plenty of sunscreen and a towel. You might also want to bring undergarments to change into at the end of the tour, in case you don't want to sit around in your wet swimsuit. There is a private place to change clothes on the boat, as well as toilet facilities.

Be sure to bring your camera. There are lots of photo ops available on the tour. An underwater camera is especially desirable if you're interested in photographing fish.

You can bring your own snorkeling gear if you want to. Adventure Antigua also has some available for you to borrow.

Our experiences

Adventure Antigua's Xtreme Circumnav tour picked us up at the port where all the cruise ships were docked. There were probably about fifteen people waiting to board the speedboat, which would also be stopping at Jolly Harbor to pick up a few more people. Everybody took off their shoes and handed over their bags to be stowed inside the boat for safe keeping.

I chose a seat at the front of the boat, stationing myself right next to the ladder so I could hang on to one of the rungs. People who have bad backs and pregnant women are advised to sit at the back of the boat. The tour leaders recommended that those of us sitting at the front of the boat straddle the seat as if we were riding a horse.

I was a little worried about how I'd handle the power and speed of the boat, but that turned out to be a non-issue. The speed was exhilarating and it was so much fun to watch the beautiful scenery go by. Our tour guides pointed out places of interest, including Crossroads, Eric Clapton's celebrity rehab facilities.

The boat made several stops, including one at Stingray City, where very friendly stingrays happily nudge and kiss the humans swimming among them. We stopped for a barbecue chicken picnic lunch on Green Island, a private island in Antigua. We also enjoyed an extended snorkel and swim session near English Harbour, a beautiful area where there are a couple of very cute hotels and restaurants, as well as Nelson's Dockyard.

As the day wore on, people started to relax and chat. It was a fun day and we got back to the main port at about 3:00pm, plenty of time for us to fetch our luggage and board the SeaDream I. This was a much better way to kill the time before our cruise than eating at a restaurant, especially since SeaDream puts out a nice spread and hands out champagne during boarding.

Tipping

Tipping is not at all expected but is appreciated if you are so inclined.

Warning

If you are prone to seasickness, be sure to take a remedy before you come onboard. I would also recommend applying plenty of sunscreen or sunblock. I used 30 SPF sunscreen and reapplied it all day. I still got a nasty sunburn on my face and shoulders. Next time, I'm springing for some serious sunblock!

Overall

We really enjoyed the Xtreme Circumnav tour and would not hesitate to book it again or recommend it to others. If you're headed to Antigua and need something fun to do that lasts most of the day, I recommend taking any of Adventure Antigua's tours.

2 Thank knotheadusc
Lebanon, New Hampshire
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“The Eco-tour is a great way to spend a day in Antigua”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We booked this tour independently while traveling on the Norwegian Dawn. We tend to book most of our port adventures independently as they provide a better tour and a far better price. This was no exception. The boat was not crowded and provided plenty of both sun and shade. The trip to Hell's gate was great and the climb across the top something that will always provide a special memeory. Chris and Nicola were outstand not only here but along the way. They provided plenty of information about conservation and the ecosystem of Antigua. The snorkeling was fun but there were not as many fish in the area we went as expected but the total experiance was one of the best ever. The secluded beach at Bird island where we swam and had lunch was very nice. They even offered quick snorkling lessons to those who were not that comfortable. The lunch was outstanding and the chicken with the BBQ sauce some of the best my wife said she ever had. Nicola seems to be very involved in many of the islands conservation efforts and her passion for this is obvious. She also serves up a great lunch pours a great rum punch, and acts as a great first mate on the boat. this is an interesting tour with great photo opps, swimming snorkleing and food. I would say this tour is a keeper and would recommend it to all.

Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Excellent Eco Tour”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Over the years, Hugo and I have taken many boat trips in different parts of the world. Our day with Adventure Antigua on the Eco Tour has to be one of the best trips we've done anywhere!

Most importantly - the boat was comfortable with all the facilities you need for a day trip - and was not overcrowded. It was nice to be able to talk to fellow passengers and hear about their experiences. (Much better than some of the boats we saw sailing past our hotel on a daily basis which looked very full indeed and were also very noisy.) The crew were extremely friendly and professional and both Chris and Nic provided really interesting commentaries about the island and it's flora, fauna and sealife. It was good to hear of so many Eco projects going on from people who obviously know about and care about the island and it's ecology.

There is a really good balance between travel (sometimes at speed which was great!), slow speed touring and stops for snorkelling, climbing Hell's Gate, lunch and exploring islands. Speaking of lunch - the food was very good and the banana cake and rum punch as we headed to the various drop off points even better!

We would definitely recommend this tour which has helped to make our holiday on Antigua totally memorable - and look forward to another trip with Adventure Antigua whe we next visit the island.

1 Thank JaneH1954