“A Must See”
Review of Island Mantra

Island Mantra
Ranked #10 of 21 Shopping in St. John's
More attraction details
Owner description: Island Mantra is the working studio & gift shop of Caribbean artist Lyris Tracey. Original art, hand painted & dyed clothing, soft furnishings & Unique lightweight handmade jewelry. Open daily from 10 am. Parking is available on street.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

For stunning handcrafted items this is the place in Antigua. Lyris the artist /owner is friendly,creatively talented, and accommodating. Her high quality work is unique and affordable, I found something there for everyone and the experience was delightful.I highly recommend Island Mantra.I will make it my first shopping stop on my next trip to Antigua,

LyrisTracey, Owner at Island Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for your great review of my work & Island Mantra.
It was wonderful meeting you & I am happy that you were able to find something for everyone on your list!
I look forward to seeing you again in the future. Lyris

Reviewed November 18, 2013

So... You know normally you run around on your last days abroad running around checking tacky gift shops for people at home and still not finding anything all that great... Well.. if you are visiting Antigua for your holidays your luck is about to change!!!
On this beautiful island you have the beautiful Lyris and her beautiful work.. There is something for everyone there and on my last visit to the island I made the trip to island mantra on more than one occasion.. I found gifts for everyone at home, and myself!! The works she does ranges from clothes to jewellery to bird feeders to wall pieces. There is such variety, you will always find something to your liking and with every visit the stock changes! Everything at island mantra is individually made with love care and passion, and oh boy you can see it in the products. Lyris herself is as wonderful as her work, she is more than happy to go above and beyond for you, if she can change or tweak or add anything to a product, even make the product from scratch, she will. I honestly would recommend anyone travelling to Antigua, to visit Lyris and her amazing Island Mantra at least once on your trip. I for one will be returning in April and I can't wait! :) :) :)

Nicki Clarke
London, England

1  Thank Nicki C
LyrisTracey, Owner at Island Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Thank you for your review of my work and 'Island Mantra'. It is always wonderful to have feedback from happy visitors like yourself & I look forward to seeing you when you return in April.
Lyris.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

If you are like me, wandering through endless stalls of cheap, made in china, "crafts" that all look alike is tantamount to torture. So get off the beaten track and head to Island Mantra, just 10 minutes out of St. John. Lyris is talented and personable and willing to go the extra mile with you. Happily, she has a paypal account, so no cash or credit card are needed.
I purchased a fantastic painting done on a piece of salvaged palm wood, briliant leather earrings and earrings made from painted sea fan pieces. Absolutely unique! We called from our hotel to be sure she was open, as she does show her work in another gallery as well as a weekly art fair.
I will treasure these items; they really made my day.

LyrisTracey, Owner at Island Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

It was a pleasure meeting you & I am happy that you found my studio easily & the Pay Pal option a plus.
I do put a lot of myself into everything that I create & hope that you will enjoy your pieces for a long time to come.
Thank you for the great review!
Lyris.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

If you are type of person who appreciates local handcrafted Artisan jewelry, clothing, handbags, etc, Lyris's shop in Antigua is for you. Her pieces ares beautiful and unique. She uses high quality materials and mixed mediums such as leather, copper, and sea fan coral and pays meticulous attention to detail. Forget the cookie cutter, downtown marketplace shopping by the cruise ship terminal. For one of kind, exceptional jewelry and clothing which will express your individuality, this is place to shop in Antigua!

LyrisTracey, Owner at Island Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you for your great comments about my work and shop.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I lived in Antigua 30 years ago and had not been back in all this time. So, when I realized my cruise ship was stopping there for a day I did research as to how I could best spend my day so that I could drive by my old house and favorite places. In my internet research I found Lyris' Island Mantra shop and said I have to go here. I did and it was the highlight of my seven island cruise. Lyris even stayed open late for me to arrive because I had become friends with her on Facebook. I popped into her shop and was amazed at her talent. She makes everything there. I bought silk bathing suit cover for my sister, silk scarves for me, hand painted leather earrings, hand painted coconut shell, two gorgeous necklaces. Once I was back in Texas I lost one of my leather earrings and Lyris asked me to email a photo of the one I still had. She hand painted me another pair and mailed them to me in the states. Our ship stopped at 7 islands and by far, Island Mantra was the only place I could buy authentic local beautiful art pieces. It is a must if you stop in Antigua. We sure to contact her on facebook so she will be open for you.

LyrisTracey, Owner at Island Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Thank you! It was a pleasure meeting you.