“Great food, great location”

Hemingways Caribbean Cafe
Ranked #7 of 110 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

While walking through the market area, trying to avoid the taxi drivers insisting on taking me just about anywhere, I happened to look up and saw Hemingways balcony seating. How could I not go? I asked the latest cab driver about it and he agreed it was an excellent choice (and gave me his card for later). I had some delicious soup and chicken and fresh vegetables. My daughter had a burger and loved it! Sitting on the balcony watching the activity below was a treat. Excellent restaurant with reasonable prices and excellent service.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Had 2 great meals here recently and our group enjoyed their appetizers and entrees as usual.
Casual yet professional service, quality food and fair prices over the years. I usually start with the pumpkin soup and also tried the local specialty salt fish dish. Conch fritters also good.
The Antiguan lobster is a bit pricey but other dishes were reasonable. Had Caribbean chicken curry one night and the duck breast another night.They have the best rum punch and rum raisin and cocoanut icecream. We like to sit in the porch seats on the second floor to watch the action in the street. Much quieter at night than at lunch time when the streets are full of tourists from the cruise ships docked nearby,

1  Thank flatbbushkid16
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Another visit to Hemingways and as usual very pleasant. On both occasions I have been conversation with the manager or owner, not sure. Again she passed the time of day in a typical Caribbean manner of ' no worries'. I even found out that she had lived in Antigua for many years but had been born within 10 miles of where I live. Again the atmosphere was typical Caribbean with good service, food and drinks at a reasonable price. With a gap of 4 years between visits I expected it to have changed and as usual not as good as the last. How wrong I was. If passing on your Caribbean cruise pop in and enjoy.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a great place to get a bite and watch the world go bye. Hemingway's has been at the same location for a very long time. The food is good the service is friendly and being on the second floor allows you to watch the action below. Many come on a cruise ship and don't eat locally. I suggest you break the trend and try Hemmingway's for lunch. Stop eating the plastic cruise food and try the local fare and ask for the days specials. Are you a foodie? then you too should try it. Ask what the soup of the day is. I found their pumpkin soup to be exceptional, keep in mind Antigua grows local pumpkins without chemicals. Are you still standing street level looking up? Don't be shy take the stairs one flight up.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Popped in whilst in town from local all inclusive with poor coffee. Found a great coffee here, and sat on the balcony overlooking the street