“Superb...polite, courteous, knowledgeable and reasonably priced...”

Explore Antigua with Gordan
Ranked #28 of 43 Tours in St. John's
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Well, this is VERY LONG overdue, but I simply had to get it on here. I did this tour, with Gordon, and a German couple and their young child. I thought that because so few signed up, it would be cancelled. Instead, Gordon took us in his air conditioned van to places on the island that we wanted to see, and others that he thought we might enjoy. The man knows his island! And his verbal history as we traveled was both interesting and enlightening. I captured photos unlike any of my fellow cruise mates. Gordon took us to areas that were picturesque and he will also take photos of you - quite well, in fact.

Gordon is a very down-to-earth gentleman who clearly loves what he does, and even with so few, he gave us 4 - 5 hours of what may have been the best tour / excursion of what was an 11 night cruise. From views of Eric Clapton's residence to Nelson's Dockyard, we saw it all. And 'yes' we stopped to swim, too.

Further, at one point, I swallowed some water that went down the wrong way. I started choking and could not catch my breathe. VERY EMBARRASSING, and scary. But Gordon kept his cool, and was ready to call 911, phone in hand, to a very deserted part of the island, until I stopped him and caught my breathe. I have no doubt that Gordon will NEVER forget this incident. He acted professionally and to this day I want to say, 'thank you.'

As noted, I am not aware that we missed any of the 'must see' sites, and because we enjoyed photography, he took us to others where there was literally no one but us. Gordon stopped if we needed to use the facilities and we picked up some food at the Dockyard. I do have photos, but they are on another computer :( so I don't know if I can come back and add them. They are on Facebook...I booked this tour via email from home and once there we met Gordon at 9:30am and off we went. As I recall the price was USA $40.00/person - I chose to give Gordon a sizable tip because of all of the above. In my traveling experience many would have cancelled due to 'too few' people booking with Gordon. Instead we had a truly wonderful day, and a tour and guide that I will never forget.

I want these reviews to be helpful to YOU, the readers, so I am totally honest. This is a VERY worthwhile tour. The price is more than right, you will see it all, and be very happy that you toured with Gordon. If you're not, please feel free to write and tell me why you were not...because when I return it is likely that I will be calling Gordon again for another tour....I have nothing negative to say, nor add. Check out his webpage, and his page on Facebook. And if you're going to St John's, Antigua you won't go wrong if you choose Gordon to guide you...

2  Thank Raymond C

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Great value, great fun. Gordan is a happy guy and the fun is contagious on this great tour. He will show you the best of "his" island. You will love the beach, and the sights. You get the bonus of local snacks, local stories, and even some singing. This guy really enjoys what he does, and you can tell that he loves meeting and talking with the visitors that he shows around each day. He keeps the cool water and other drinks coming, and he even keeps on the AC so when you get back to the van it is cool. You get to see all the normal sights, highlighted with stories from his very interesting and hard working family. Highly recommended.

1  Thank labber
Reviewed January 20, 2012

This is one tour I see a tour guide trying his very best to please the clients and try to ensure that all will enjoy the tours. Gordon may not be an eloquent speaker or a comedian

The tour started with a brief tour of St John passing the monument of Bird the first PM and then pass a number of other notable sites including the St barnabus Church as we head out of the city to a high viewpoint for a panaromic view of the city. Then it is off to the Nelson's Dockyard where we pay $5 admission fee and was handed over to a local guide to give a multi TV presentation of Antigua history. The grounds of the Nelson Dockyard and its historic ground is vast and the hill lookout has a great panaromic view of Antigua and its coastline. Headed off to another hill lookout before coming down the hill to the dockyard proper along the coastline which has many historic buildings and a feel of the "old days" admist many modern trimmings ... like cafe, gift shops and large moden millionaire yacht dock there.

From here it is off to Long Bay beach for a 30 minutes stop and then to Devil's bridge to see its unque formation carved out by the sea waves. All the time Gordon is very informative and caring ...... even to the extent that he bought us drink (which he took individual drink request) and chicken and caribbean parties as well as cheese filled bun to tie us over for lunch which many of us skip on this well packed tour. Poor Gordon, some of the passenger took more than their share of the tasty patties that none was left for him as he continue to guide us on this tour without lunch till 4.00pm. Overall a very well layed out and enjoyable tour.

5  Thank E-TravellerCanada
Reviewed December 23, 2011

A group of us who met on the Cruise Critic website chose to go on this tour and we were all very happy that we did.

My husband and I have never been to Antigua and Gordon gave us a tour that made us want to come back one day. Not only did he give us an interesting and informative tour, but he was also lots of fun, getting our group involved in a sing-along while he drove us from one spot to another.

Devils' Bridge is a must see...just stunning. We also saw Eric Clapton's house and had lots of time to take plenty of pictures. Gordon took us to Nelson's Dockyards and treated us there to delicious home-made chicken and beef patties and a drink at a quaint little bakery there. On our way back to the port, he stopped at a pineapple stand on the road and treated each of us to coconut water and a very generous serving of black pineapple which was delicious and refreshing.

Gordon's tour is a fantastic value in comparison to other tours and at least every bit as informative and enjoyable. Thanks, Gordon. :)

3  Thank srhonda61
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We just got back from Caribbean on Enchantment, Dec 5-19, and had a terrific time. In Antigua we did a land and beach tour with Gordon and it was one of the best excursions we have done in Antigua.
Gordon has a web site, you can google him. He personally does the tour and has exceptional knowledge of the island, including the history. We were a group of 17 and had a terrific time. Consider Gordon's Best of Paradise Tour in Antigua to be HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

2  Thank Henry W