“First Class”

South Coast Horizons Jeep Safari Eco Tour
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I were lucky enough to sign up for the 1/2 day snorkel trip with Niah and ended up having a private trip for the day. Niah took extra care to stop and explain the different trees and crops along the way. He was very thorough, very intelligent, very charming, always stopping to make sure we got good photos. We then snorkeled as long as we wanted, and then had a beautiful beach-side snack at a quaint private beach. We could not have asked for a better tour and a better Antiguan to help us understand the countryside and people of Antigua.
I almost forgot to mention how much fun it was to paddle through the mango groves, I never thought my wife and I could have had so many different and fun experiences all in 1 tour.

1  Thank garyj622

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Did the Socoho Half Day Kayak & Snorkel tour on my last visit to Antigua and really enjoyed it. I liked the fact that South Coast Horizons is a tour company owned and operated by local Antiguans as so many of the tour companies on the island aren't.

They picked us up in an open back Landrover from our hotel (Galley Bay) and took us across the island to their base on the south coastline. Nice site seeing and narration along the way from our driver Martin.

Their location itself is a nice spot. Well landscaped with palm trees everywhere. Ms Francis at the reception told us they also do vacation home rentals on site.

Rosanne gave us a nice briefing on the day's activities then suited us up with our kayaking gear.

The mangrove lagoon was very calm so the kayaking was not strenuous. It opened up into a absolutely beautiful ocean bay with a nice private beach.

Captain Niah was waiting there on his skiff boat to take us out to Cades Reef which was only a 10-12 min boat ride out.

The snorkeling to me was the best part. So many colorful fish and corals, (saw a lobster and cuddle fish too)

Afterwards we went back to the beach and had some local banana bread and drinks.

If you're looking to get a taste of the real (local) Antigua I'd recommend this tour. Had a nice quaint appeal about it. And the price was very reasonable too.

1  Thank Nathanz14
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We just returned from Antigua and one of our best days was due to Niah, our driver and guide with Socoho, We're a family of four (kids are 10 and 12) that went on the combined zipline, kayak, and snorkelling day long experience. NIah picked us up at our hotel - the Verandah - early in the morning and was just immediately friendly and accommodating. Within moments of driving he said to us through the window of the jeep that if we wanted him to stop for anything or just slow down then just to let him know. Then as we drove he honked his horn at people along the way, while again letting us know that it wasn't "road rage" but just the Antiguan way of saying "hi" (which we'd already figured out from his friendly manner).

As we drove to the zipline he stopped numerous times to point things out to us, particularly the many different kinds of fruit on the trees - too numerous for me to recall! He provided brief explanations of schools, Antiguan culture, etc. and responded to all of our questions. On the way he stopped to buy us a fruit cup which was delicious and included the Antiguan black pineapple.

I won't go on about the zipline experience other than to say it was great (and both my wife and son are afraid of heights but enjoyed it immensely) and that the staff were young, friendly, and engaged. Oh yes, and don't worry about the bush fires - we saw one not far from the zipline but were told they're common.

Niah patiently waited while we made purchases at the store and then we climbed back into the jeep and went off to kayak. On the way more explanations of Antigua as well as a brief stop for him to pick a beautiful pond flower for us. The kayaking in the mangroves was fun and not too long to get tired - juts enough to get the feel and enjoy it. Then we were into the motor boat with others and off to the reef. It was beautiful, although nothing seems to compare with Belize. we had fun for about 45 minutes and then it was back to the beach for lunch - BBQ chicken, rice, salad, and rum punch. Quite yummy!

The it was a nice drive back to the hotel but along the way he stopped to buy us some sugar cane (which we'd asked for) so we were munching and spitting that out on the way back. Just before getting back he stopped at Betty's Hope to give us a quick look at the partially restored sugar cane mill and again explained the history.

It was a great day and although the zipline, kayak, and snorkelling were fantastic it was Niah that made it a truly wonderful experience! I've never written anything on tripadvisor before, but when I asked NIah what I could do to show my thanks to him he said that I could do this. So there, now it's done! thanks very much Niah! You gave us a really nice day!

1  Thank Derrick D
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were picked up by "Tony" at the port - on time and easy... Brought us around and showed our group the island... Was very knowledgeable about the island and its history... Took the time to answer questions.. Devils bridge was very cool... Snorkeling was great - Staff at the snorkeling site was also very friendly. Great with the kids... Fed us a great lunch... Very an awesome day! Great value and a great time.. HIGHLY recommend it!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Had a great half day with the SoCoHo team today. We only managed to book the day before having been let down elsewhere but we were so glad. We went at 11.15 and walked down from the office to the start of the tour, we then kayaked through a lagoon to the beach which took about 15 minutes through the Mangroves. We took a boat out to the Cades Reef and snorkelled for 30 minutes. The coral was fairly bleached but healthy and a good variety of fish. We then went back to the beach for lunch where we were shown a live Conch. Lunch was really nice local food of chicken, steamed veg, salad, potatoes and rice washed down with Rum Punch. We then asked to stay on a while to climb the hill which took 10-15 minutes and gave an amazing view over Cades bay. Kayaked back to the lagoon and headed home after the office had booked a taxi for us. A great day, enjoyed every minute and would recommend this to anyone coming here.