“Overpriced food!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Papa Zouk

Papa Zouk
Ranked #5 of 101 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Orlando, Florida
“Overpriced food!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel. I must say the servers were good but too slow (island time), the owner greeted us and when we asked for the menu he said there is none because they changed the specials everyday. He told us the dinner specials and when we asked for the price his response was "don't worry it's good, you'll love the food!" My friends and I finally got our good after waiting for an hour, after eating we asked for the bill and omg $55 for a small fried fish with a little side salad and 3 small slices of bread!! That was outrageous!! It was a good fish but for $55 it was way too expensive!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Monette, Arkansas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Place for Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

This little restaurant was amazing! We had appetizers that were delicious and the Petit punch is excellent. We went with another couple that we met on the island who were also on vacation. The owner sits down to tell you the menu for the night and is very nice and friendly. We had a combination of different seafood that was one of the best meals that we had while on Antigua. The owner's recommendations were right on target and I would suggest that anyone going to Antigua find this spot and enjoy at least one meal there. The rum selections were abundant and very interesting. We were not disappointed with our choice to go here on many people's recommendation.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Kevin S
NY
“OK IF you are limited to St. John's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We went on a Wednesday night.

We wanted to go straight to the main course but the waitress kept pusing the appetizers so my husband decided to try the chicken/fish/plantains tapas. He really like the chicken which was tender with some sort of terikayi sause on it.

I decided to give the conch fritter a try and was not a fan of them at all, as they seem to be not as good as I have had on other islands.

By the way, they gave us free garlic bread which was really good,

The main course came out and my fried snapper was ok, not the best i have had in Antigua or other islands. I would say it lacked real flavor and was not well seasoned. My husband ordered the grilled butterfish and said only the skin was well seasoned.

We ordered the rum ti, and it cool, I had one, my husband had 2 and was able to drive back to without issue.

Costs: The appetizers were $25 ECX each, the entrees were $55 ECX each, drinks were $12 ECX each. The total bill was $81 US.

The owner was there and mixing with the locals, it seemed that people came here because they knew him. It seemed to be frequented by expatriots, not locals. Service was a bit slow also.

If it is good fresh fish you seek, perhaps order the three fish and see if you get better results or just drive down to OJ's Bar and Restaurant and try their whole snapper instead. I wrote a review on them also and posted pictures.

• Visited July 2012
Sevenoaks, UK
“Great food - made my daughters like fish !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Recommended to us by hotel staff and rep. Was a bit dubious as my daughters don't eat fish. Mentioned this when booking and was told it would not be a problem.

On arrival met by very friendly owner wh sat down with us and talked us through the menu (there is a written one by the way). She also explained that she had been out and bought some steak, potatoes and veg for my daughters if they didnt want the fish. As it turns out the girls were sold by the fish and absolutely loved it, so much that they asked if we could go back again the following week. Between us, we had the Red Snapper, lobster, mixed platter, butterfish and all were superb. Thoroughly recommend it for the food, hospitality and not to mention the rum punch !

It's a bit out of the way on the outskirts of St Johns, so suggest getting a cab there.

“Perfect seafood. Amazing value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

One of the best seafood experiences I've ever had. All of the fish was incredibly fresh. I had the grilled red snapper and the meat fell off the bones. We were told that the fish was so recently caught that it had probably never been on ice. Everything was simply, but perfectly seasoned and cooked. The selection of rum at the bar is second to none and they know how to mix it up. At US$21 per main this may be the best seafood value in the world.
The restaurant was reccommended by two hotel employees. I wasa bit leary of going due to the low ranking on trip advisor, but I have to say, either there are some phenomenal places on Antigua, or this place is ranked way too low.

• 4 of 5 bubbles