“The Treasure is Located at the Beach” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort

Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
New York City, New York
“The Treasure is Located at the Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We didn't stay at the hotel but they where very kind to allow us to enjoy the beach. The treasure is a gentleman that runs the water sports at the beach Mr Papa. When you are a stranger visiting someone's home is a amazing feeling when you are made welcome. If you ever have a chance to visit this side of the island visit this hotel and ask for access to a amazing beach and Papa who will help u with anything and charge you a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank MSCLenny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Dominica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Dear Ms Judy Francis,

I wish to bring to your attention the excellent customer service delivered
by one of your colleagues Diane.

I was due to arrive in Dominica on Friday evening 18th April, when we were
turned back by LIAT Airways due to high winds over Dominica.

Your front desk representative handled a very difficult situation extremely
well, she handled queries from irate and calm customers with the utmost of
respect and empathy.

She was proactive in trying to gain information from the airline and even
helped by trying to identify whether there were charter companies on island
to help those passenger who had to attend to their businesses in Dominica.

Please pass on my regards and thanks and I am sure many other LIAT customers
of which there were circa 31 appreciated her support.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank KenGui
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Granted, it probably has seen better days but it is by no means a dump. The room I stayed in was excellent. Get a sea view! It was great waking up to that.
I enjoyed the food there, though I ate out most of the times simply because I like to experience the food culture of islands I travel to. Probably the best beach on the island (one local claimed 'best beach in the world') is there almost entirely for you alone. Great little hike to Fort Barrington...very easy, but the view is magnificent!
I'm different, I suppose. I don't need a lot of people in a hotel to enjoy it. In fact, I rather enjoy being one of the only persons around. The pool was all mine, checking in and out was lightning quick, I didn't have to wait long for my food and the gym was all mine all the time so I could blast my music and exercise.
The mosquitoes were slightly pesky in the open air lobby at nights.
Don't know how they're staying afloat but I hope they're still around when I go there next.
One satisfying experience, one amazing beach, one working elevator. (Their stairs also work. Nice little warm up and warm down for the gym.)

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank JustinDookhi
Galveston Island, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

I have no doubt that anyone who sees this hotel always come away with the same opinion: What a fabulous location, what a waste of a business opportunity.

The good: Fabulous location, wonderful beach, great ocean views, bargain price, signs of renovation taking place, Most of the workout equipment actually works. The British High Commission has meetings here (is that good!!??).
The bad: All too visible wear and tear of an ocean side property that has not been well maintained.
The ugly: Noithing ugly here. A good makeup job will make for a really pretty face.

Price wise, I have stayed in Antigua hotels that cost more than twice as much and had little more to offer than the Grand Royal. The toilerts do flush, eventually. Rumour has it that the place is going on the market. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: There are plenty of rooms available if you should find yourself in one that that needs some TLC. As...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Wallingford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Like Tina J we were stranded by Liat airlines. Both our flights with them were many hours late, the second meant we missed our connection to London and so stayed here.
The room was dirty and the loo didn't flush, so we had to move to another even dirtier room.
But lunch on the beach was beautiful, and well prepared.
All the staff were friendly especially the waitress we had at breakfast and lunch (I wish we had her name).

Room Tip: Impossible. Wait until they've built a new hotel and employed the same staff!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WilsonEwelme

Travelers are raving about these St. John's hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I have to emphasise this is the WORST hotel I have ever been to and I have been to many. I was at the Royal Antiguan with my husband not by choice but by curtesy of Liat incompetence. After 6 hrs at the airport, we left Dominica, but had missed our flight to London and worst still had to stay at the Royal Antiguan. Everything was shabby, dirty, smelly and run down. The bathroom was filthy, taps were rusty. Difficult to have a shower. We asked to be moved with minor improvements.

My husband and I are very disappointed both with Liat and Royal Antiguan. There is nothing 'royal' about this hotel.

Stayed March 2014
8 Thank Tina J
Antigua
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

The good points, when you are in the resort it seems pretty safe and secure. Nice large lobby and bar area. The room was very nice, I only had a mountain facing one with no balcony but it had lots of large windows letting in lots of natural light, large room with lots of floor area even with a large bed, TV and cable and a nice desk. It had a large closet/wardrobe and a safe, and the bathroom was a good size, the room was very clean and up together. It is situated on a beautiful beach with lovely calm Caribbean sea. The pool area is ok- There was never anybody there when I was there but the sun beds were up together and there were umbrellas if required, however the pool bar wasn't open so it gave it that 'empty' feeling to the area. The beach bar which is open for lunch was pleasant. The dinner in the evening was fine, the food was good and the service was ok for the Caribbean. I feel the only problem with this hotel is the apartments walking down towards the beach were derelict and looked very ghostly! It was a very quiet hotel so it appeared empty. The location is in the middle of no where really, you have to get a taxi to go anywhere. I wouldn't want to stay here for my honeymoon but it was ok for a few nights!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
#4 of 15 in St. John's
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!