“Wonderful” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 7 days, Yes the hotel is dated but it was clean and comfortable. It was a little strange as there were very few people staying there. The staff couldn't do enough for you with big pleasant smiles. The pool was absolutely gorgeous and just the right temperature. I described the beach as Heaven on Earth. I have never seen anything more spectacular. The beach was super clean and I swam in the warm ocean each and everyday. Lunch was always offered at the beach restaurant overhanging the beach with beautiful views. The lobby and bar were very nice but being upgraded. There was no entertainment offered but a truly relaxing hotel. I would go there again for some down time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Wellington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Let me start by saying that the resort is under new management and so there are still stores to open, etc. and rooms to fill. That said, the beach is exquisite, the pool sparkles and has a swim-up bar, lunch is served in an open restaurant hanging over the ocean. The food was fantastic for every meal, made to order omelets, fish, pork, jerk chicken (my personal favourite), homemade soups, fresh salads etc. etc. etc. The staff was second to none for friendly service, helpfulness. Our room was spotless. All four public bathrooms I attended were immaculate. There was no night-time entertainment (due to the low attendance) but there was live music with every dinner. The age of guests varied from families with children to seniors. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms see the ocean, the lagoon, and the pool from the balcony - not to mention the cruis...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lise K
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Like some of the others, we had the ''pleasure'' of having to stay there on the night of 25th when our BA aircraft developed a technical fault. we had stayed here in the early 90's when it was a Ramada resort and it was lovely, well now....

The resort looks shut most of the time, we arrived at 2am in the morning, after a time we were given a room that looked towards a hill and no balcony. The room was stale and damp but at least the bed was clean. When we woke up we went for a walk pre breakfast. The beach, though still lovely from our memories was now a quiet closed up beach bar and a closed beach side restaurant. The pool looked the same except there were a few frogs swimming around!

The hotel appared to only have a handfull of guests (my estimate 30) when about 100 of us were sent there, so breakfast was limited as they were not prepared. The food looked ok but then it went down hill, lunch was awful, a very limited buffett, all greasy, no real salad to speak of, the evening meal just as bad.

The male receptionist on the evening of our departure tried to keep us informed but alot of people were unhappy. We could not sign any drinks to our room ( a strange system) cash only or a credit card for every single drink you ask for!!

This hotel needs investing in if it is to survive which I doubt

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Travel-The-World62

Travelers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Kobe, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I, along with five other unfortunate travelers, were taken by bus there by LIAT when there was yet another LIAT airplane failure.

First, one can tell that the place used to be exceptional but has fallen on difficult times. The grounds were unkempt, the lobby was uncared for, there were rooms off the lobby that were blocked off and complete shambles.

The key card system did not work so whenever you wanted to get into your room, you had to go to the lobby and they would call security who would eventually show up to let you into your room. The in-room safe did not work, the room felt like no one had been in there in months and there was NO HOT WATER.

The pool was dirty, there was even a hermit crab swimming in the pool.

The front desk and the restaurant and the bar had no cash so we had to wait for over an hour while the staff pooled there money together to make change!

It's obvious the management ran out of money to take care of the resort a few years ago. I've stayed at some pretty nice places and some dumps but this is the worse than the dumps because it used to be a proud place that has been completely neglected.

Avoid unless you want a horror story to tell when you get home.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pedro B
Dorchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend on my way through Antigua. It looked great on the website and appeared to have everything I needed - a great beach, waterside bar/restaurant, pool, great rooms and nice grounds.

In reality it was awful and I couldn't wait to leave. It is a big hotel and without many guests (there were 6 when I was there), it feels really eerie. The pool was closed, there were no sunloungers laid out, and the area had a really derelict feel. The beach was absolutely deserted (sounds great in theory, but eerie in practice!) and the waterside restaurant was boarded up. There were only a couple of sunloungers on the beach, which were being policed by an elderly security guard from the hotel. There are two good things about this place: 1) the restaurant staff were lovely and 2) there is free internet access from 2 computers in the reception.

I got the feeling that this hotel is used for delayed flights staying one night only, and conferences during the week when out of season.

I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ECL100
Chobham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We arrived for just one night as our plane back to Gatwick developed a mechanical problem. Thanks BA!
About 75 of us were bussed to the Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort.
Arriving at 2 in the morning I didn't discover until the next morning what a neglected and run down hotel it was .
I could not believe it was still open and supposedly running as a 3 star hotel, I am afraid I wouldn't give it one star!!
I think it should be condemned and the whole resort re developed.
The location is nice and the beach is lovely. It has a a lot of potential .
Please please don't come here. Food awful, unhelpful and very slow service. Peeling paintwork.
Lifts that didn't work. I could go on and on and I was only there for 24 hours.!
hope you find this useful.

Room Tip: Bad view from our room on 8th floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Sarah L
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We got dumped here by BA for 24 hours (another story). The hotel is isolated, feels partially derelict ( a row of empty shops, boarded up buildings, overgrown play area) and is really shabby. It is also dirty and mosquito ridden (pools of stagnant, filthy water in the foyer where fountains clearly haven't worked for a long time). Our room had a fridge unti but no fridge, a glass and a couple of disposable cups - luxury or what?! The bed linen was too small for the bed, the towels threadbare, the room not very clean. Other than the poor receptionist, who tried her best to deal with dozens of irate, stranded BA passengers, the few others were surly, unhelpful and insolent. The hotel must focus on low budget all-inclusives as they were incapable of selling a drink via signing against the room. Avoid at all costs - I had better accommodation as a backpacker.

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
#4 of 15 in St. John's
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!