“Terrific Place to Stay”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
CONNECTICUT
“Terrific Place to Stay”
Reviewed April 9, 2009

In Feb. my husband and I went for our annual vacation in Antigua. Staying in the Suite #1 in Siboney Beach Club, As always we felt right at home. We have been staying in the the same suite for the last 25 years! Since 1984 , that is. You would be absolutely right if you drew the conclusion that we love it. Unconditionally! For Feb. 2009, our good friend, Tony Johnson, the owner and his crew, had most tastefully redcorated our suite, completing the finishing touches as we arrived. Tony called us at home on christmas, told us that there had been afire in our suite, assured us that everything would be taken care of before we arrived and asked if we would prefer a pair of recliners or Caribbean style sofas in the front room. We opted for the recliners. When we arrived were met with the usual warim greetings of the staff and the usual impeccable appearance of our suite. There was no way if telling that a fire had occurred just a very few weeks earlier. Our stay followed the usual pattern: toasting in the sun on the beach, siiting in our chairs in the shade of the palms, watching the birds and pelicans and ,of course, other guests passing by and also taking a dip in the Caribbean Sea to cool off. You can cool off by the swimming pool and take in the beautiful gardens and dine at Coconut Grove. We chatted and laughed with the Siboney crew and generally had a ball. We left sadly, making our booking for 2010 as we paid our bill. We certainly will be back - we cannot do without our annual Siboney vacation. It's our home away from home. Hope to see you there.
Bob and Barbara of CT

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CONNECTICUTdOLPHINS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We have just enjoyed a wonderful two weeks at Siboney Beach Club, a small, exceptionally friendly hotel in a lovely setting on the beach. Our suite was spacious, comfortable and very well and thoughtfully equipped. We loved our balcony in the canopy of the tropical garden and the multiple sea views and waking to the sound of the waves on the shore. Inland from the hotel is a huge salt pond of great interest to bird watchers and a walk along this takes you to Runaway Bay which is a superb, mostly empty beach highly suitable for swimming. We also enjoyed swimming in the hotel pool in the tropical garden and eating at the Coconut Grove restaurant next to the hotel.

Tony Johnson and his staff are genuinely interested in their guests and have created something rather special which is far removed from the big hotel experience where you are just a number. We enjoyed every minute of our stay at the Siboney Beach Club.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiddleagedScotland
London
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I have been staying at this hotel for nearly 22 years - and I wouldn't stay anywhere else on the island of Antigua. I love it so much I had to write it down.

I love it for all the usual reasons, location, location, location, the suites, restaurant, garden, etc. Most of all, the owner and his staff have always extended a terrific welcome to Antigua. He is always pleased to see me and the other guests for that matter. He remembers my name, the room I prefer etc., etc. Service like that is difficult to find these days I fear.

I read some of the other reviews with interest - particularly the one criticizing the owner titled "horrible and dangerous". Poppycock. I have got to know the owner very well, he is utterly professional and would have placed the matter in the hands of his insurers for sure.... and, like any businessman, would leave the matter of compensation in the hands of his insurers. That's what they are there for! It seems to me that I know exactly where the review is coming from: the "I want compensation beyond my rights or you will suffer'. There are the correct legal channels one should go through - this customer should learn that.

Anyway I am off to Antigua and Siboney next week again. If anything has really changed I will let everyone know.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed March 10, 2009

The previous review is so far from my experience at Siboney that I just had to post my own from my recent trip. Last November I was originally supposed to stay at Siboney for one night at the end of a Tall Ship cruise.  This cruise was cancelled when the Canadian sailing company I was booked with unexpectedly shortened their season, leaving me in a lurch.  I had a flight to SXM returning from ANU and a vacation that I was determined to still take and enjoy.  Even though I had never been to Antigua before I decided to spend the bulk of my vacation there.  This was mostly due to all the glowing reviews about Siboney.  Siboney is beautiful.  The rooms are very clean and included many amenities (coffee, sugar, big bottles of shampoo and conditioner, bug spray, britta water pitcher, ice trays etc.)  I did not have a problem with mosquitos (but I would not leave the shuttered balcony doors wide open) and the front room stayed cool even without a/c.  Loved my balcony, could wave at all the staff while reading and relaxing with the birds and lizards (they always stayed outside!).  The front desk, Lorraine, Tamu and my nighttime friend Sonyia, always went out of their way to assist - getting taxis, booking tours, and answering all of my (sometimes silly) questions and concerns.  Mr. Johnson was always around, joking with the staff and keeping an eye on things.

The beach is small and quiet.  A perfect place to relax and talk to other guests.  A five minute walk away is the busy part of the beach with all the action.  Staying at Siboney allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds.  The pool is a quiet oasis.  The gardens are stunning.  Ulysses and his staff keep everything lush and beautiful.

The restaurant/bar on site, Coconut Grove, is the perfect place for a meal and definitely for Happy Hour.  It is a friendly mix of locals, expats and tourists.  There is a small grocery store next door at Antigua Village where you can stock up on essentials, and a woman who sells fruit in the parking lot.  Siboney's rooms have a full kitchen so you do not have to eat every meal out.

I was only there for a five days so I only managed to do Miguel's Prickly Pear, Eli's Eco Tour and Nelson's Harbor.  I stuck to Taxi's as driving on the left was a challenge that did not seem very vacation like - especially as a solo traveler.

I didn't see enough of the Island, nor did I get enough beach time so I am forced to go back in April!  Can't wait.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank extraice
Nj
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My wife, six year old daughter and I stayed for 10 days. On the last night at about three in the morning I heard some yelling outside our balcony. I got up to investigate and immediately smelled smoke. I went out to the balconey and a guard was walking around saying nothing but "hello". I went to the door and saw smoke pouring in under the door. I awakened my wife and grabbed my daughter and ran out to the balconey and yelled fire. The guard still said nothing. Finally after screaming for 5 minutes one of the other guests yelled up to us that we should go down the stairs. There was smoke but no fire on the stairs.

There were no smoke or fire alarms installed.

We wrapped up and went down the stairs through thick black smoke having to feel our way dow.

Once down amongst the other guests no one from the hotel asked if we were OK or even checked to see if everyone was out. The owner merely was checking on the room where the fire occured due to faulty wiring in an air conditioner.

Thankkfully everyone was safe but our pocessions were covered in black soot and stank from smoke. We were leaving in 5 hours and we had to wipe off eveything as best we could. Wee also covered in smoke and soot.

The owner made no arrangements to help us. A guest who was leaving earlier than we and who's room was not affected by the fire offered my family their room to shower. My daughters hair rinsed absolutely black.

Much of our possesions were ruined due to smoke damage and after three months the owner has completly avoided paying us for our damages. Not only did we lose things due to the smoke but when we got home we spent hours and hours trying to clean things.

We submitted detailed bills and now the owner has "turned it over to his insurance company" Our vacation and our posessions were ruined. The owner is not responding and our daughter still has nightmares.

Is this the type of place you want to stay?

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
14 Thank malamala50
London
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Just returned(today!)from this delightful little hotel.Superb location and service together with colonial charm make for an idyllic getaway for couples young and old.Beats the "all inclusives" hands down. Robert & Diane from London

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed February 3, 2009

The Siboney is a quaint, charming hotel located on a beautiful beach with lovely gardens. Our suite was very clean and had a private bedroom with A/C. There was also a small kitchen, bathroom, dining table, living room and balcony overlooking the gardens. The owner (Mr. Johnson) is very friendly and his staff (front desk and housekeeping) are very nice and helpful. This is our second stay at The Siboney and we will definitely be back.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — slow internet
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jandsMaryland
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Siboney Beach Club? Share your experiences!