“Unique Caribbean Gem”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Newport, Rhode Island
“Unique Caribbean Gem”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I just finished reading the YAPhank ysandman 14 paragraph excruciatingly detailed review of Siboney Beach Club and feel compelled to reply. My wife and I have vacationed at Siboney for almost three weeks a year since 1991. We have found the staff to be friendly, responsive and extremely helpful. The "old white gentleman with the British accent" whom they speak of is Tony Johnson, the owner of the property, who built the property decades ago, is meticulous in its upkeep and takes justifiable pride in the little spot in paradise that it is. Siboney is not for the traveller who is used to the mundane sameness that chain hotels offer, nor is it a faux Caribbean resort complex such as Sandals, further up the beach. Rather, it is a touch of true Caribbean peace and beauty, reminiscent of earlier times in island history. The tropical garden and pool area are truly spectacular, the beach is small and beautiful and the rooms are airy, cheerful, tastefully decorated and only steps from the water.
It is unfortunate that this couple quibbled away their vacation with trivial issues. Yes, there may be ants in Antigua as well as the rest of the tropics, yes, check- in mess-ups can occur(theirs was apparently was straightened out, albeit not at the breakneck pace they demanded) and yes, people may talk more loudly than they should in the morning. Likewise, I have occasionally encountered many of these problems in various places I have stayed, including some of the most prestigious properties in the world. But these problems do not warrant the energy and attention taken in their review given what I have seen to be the overall appeal of Siboney in more than 20 years of gratifying visits. This property is a unique Caribbean gem and represents one of the best values of any resort on Antiqua.
If you are looking for your own little piece of paradise combined with the friendliness, attentiveness and knowledgeability of some of the nicest people ii have ever met, Siboney Beach Club is for you.
Sailaw (Ron@Ronna
Newport, R.I.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper two floors have views of garden and/or water
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sailaw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Terryville, Connecticut
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Not sure about that last review...If you want a place 1/3 the price of Sandals, that's impeccably clean, with a great restaurant, fun bar and friendly locals, this is your place. Highly recommended. Not one problem encountered, no mosquito issues or overwhelming ant problem. Yeah, there's a few bugs around, ummm, it's tropical, what would one expect. Will be back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Slouchman
Yaphank
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We visited Siboney Beach Club in middle of march and stayed there for 2 nights.

The Good:

The beach that this hotel is on is quite beautiful, yes small but the sand is silky and the water clear blue, no coral and no seaweed. Makes swimming quite enjoyable.

Management provided a complimentary bottle of wine since we were celebrating a special occasion. Nice touch!

The room was big, with plenty of light, and good air conditioning in the bedroom (no air in living room, but air flow was good and place felt fine).

The BAD:
While we didn't find the staff rude, we didn't find them very friendly either. Some cracked a few jokes at our expense several times (older white gentleman with a british accent), which I don't find professional or welcome.

When we arrived at the hotel we pointed out that there was an issue with the charges, they had overcharged us for the stay. We were due a refund, and brought all the paperwork for them to make the matter go as smoothly as possible. They took all the information that we provided and said that someone will be in later on and will handle the matter and give us a call. Well no one ever called us to rectify the issue. I approached the front desk again the night before we were leaving to kindly remind them that no one had spoke with us about the wrong charge. The woman looked at me in amazement and said "really," that is all she had to offer me. No apology, no indication when we should expect to be contacted, just a mere "really" and a confused look. I had to ask if she thought that it would be handled by the time we would be checking out and she said "I think so." Personally that's just not a professional way to conduct business or run a company. If a hotel or resort makes a mistake and OVER CHARGES a guest, I would think they would be a little more concerned about getting the matter settled, instead of the guest having to remind them about it on a few occasions.
We didn't want to be pushy about the matter and always approached them with a smile, but apparently being nice no longer gets you anywhere, I guess we should have lived up to our stereotype and been the typical "irate americans" and then the issue would have been resolved promptly. It's sad that patience, a smile, and a nice demeanor no longer gets you anywhere.

The room itself was VERY worn down. I always try and give places the benefit of the doubt, something that is old and has history to me is usually charming..... yea not this place. Really it's just old, period. The other issue was ants, they were everywhere. We did no have ANY food in the room and still, just swarms of them. We tried dealing with it best we could, spraying the area with spray that was provided in the room and killing as many as possible. But 30 minutes later they were back.... Not a deal breaker, but definitely annoying to have to deal with that.

They provide a Brita water pitcher which looked like it hasn't been cleaned in months. There was brown residue all over the pitcher and the filter was covered in it too. The thought is nice, but if your going to provide something like that you should make sure its useable, otherwise no sense in providing it.

We were woken up both mornings at 7am by people talking outside, this place has zero soundproofing.

The 1st day we were there there was someone on the beach that asked us if we stayed at the hotel and provided is with loungers, the second day we couldn't find anyone and there were no loungers available on the beach, went to the front desk to inquire what we if there was anyone around to get a lounger from and we were told to go to the pool area take loungers from there and carry them onto the beach..... again not a deal breaker, but where is the service aspect?

Oh and the icing on the cake. Our 1st night we laid on the bed quite a while chatting about how excited we were to be on vacation and also read for some time. When we were finally ready for bed we climbed under the sheets and my husband jumped out of bed immediately. We lifted the top sheet/cover to find crumbs and a fish bone on the bed!!!! Really! Made me wonder what else was just not cleaned in the room.... I mean, I am an understanding person, but how exactly does one make the bed and not realize that there are crumbs and a fish bone (was not even a small one) get left behind. Me and my husband tried to make a joke and say maybe this was like a little spell to make our marriage ever lasting and happy, but in reality c'mon guys! To their credit when we called the front desk, they apologized and came up 20 minutes later with fresh sheets and remade the bed.

If I was the manager or owner of that hotel, I would be mortified. I would have probably personally called the guests to apologize and maybe even go out of the way to make things better. Maybe a complimentary drink or breakfast, something....anything..... again even a personal phone call would have been nice.

Take away message, I wouldn't stay here again and would't recommend this establishment to friends. I'm sure our experience just had all the perfect bad things happen to ruin it for us, but in the end we were in no way happy with our stay.

7 Thank YSandman
Andover
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from Antigua where we stayed at the: Siboney Beach Club Hotel. A very charming small Hotel with Kitchenettes. We had sort of a suite with a large bedroom , livingroom and balconey on the second floor and kitchenette. - We jsut loved it. It was situated at a very lovely beach and surrounded by a small tropical garden with a nice size smimming pool and wicker chairs and tables all around. It was quiet and very relaxing eventhough "Sandals Resort" was moe or less down the road and we did not hear any loud noises.
The service was very good and always in the morning hours . Cooked our own breakfast as Antigua can be expensive going out to eat for all 3 meals. We enjoyed it so much that we plan to return.

Brigitte and daughter

Room Tip: We prefer the second floor as we had a lovely view into the garden.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MemoriesAndover
nyc
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We visited Antigua for 5 nights in early March. We stayed at the
Siboney Beach Club on the Northwest side of the island on Dickenson's
Bay. The ride from the airport was about 15 minutes - beware of many
speed bumps on this route.

Siboney was decent. There was a restaurant on the premises (Coconut
Grove) which was okay, but perhaps a bit pricey food and mediocre
service. The latter two comments could apply for most of restaurants
we visited. The beach at Siboney was meager. So we never stayed there
except to watch the sunset.

Our room included a small terrace with shutters for doors, so you will
have mosquitoes to deal with, though it was not horrible. In the
daylight, we opened one of the terrace doors and a bird mistakenly
flew in, but escaped unharmed. The main room had a small TV, but the
room did get warm since AC was only available in the bedroom. There
was a small kitchenette that was good, but there were very small ants
on the counter and throughout the apartment (including bunches that
were dead, but left unremoved) so you had to keep your food protected.

The staff at Siboney were very nice and the owner, Tony quite
congenial. Overall I would give the resort about a B- grade.

In addition to Coconut Grove, we had dinner at Le Bistro (10-15 car
ride back toward airport from Siboney), which was in a nice setting,
but the food was marginal and priced high. We had dinner down the road
from Siboney at La Bussola. The food was okay (it's tough to screw up
pasta), but the service was uneven. We also had dinner at the
BayHouse, also nearby. Views from here must be nice during the day.
Food was again mediocre and service was poor.

What was nice about Antigua were the various beaches. We rented a car
and with GoogleMaps, we were able to find all the sites, though some
streets on GoogleMaps weren't actually paved or even resembling a street :).

We loved Darkwood Beach. It was a narrow strip of beautiful white sand
and basically deserted. There was no off-the-beach snorkeling to speak
of here, but it was a wonderful setting. We then headed to Hawksbill
Beach that bordered a resort. I think there were other beaches beyond,
but there was a security gate for the resort so we didn't challenge
whether we could move through. Nonetheless, this was another quiet
beach, but the snorkeling was not great.

Our two favorite beaches were Half Moon Bay and Long Bay. Half Moon
had various spots for shade (we arrived by 10) As it was in a
protected cove, more of the waves were on the right side as you
entered with calmer waters and some nice snorkeling on the left side.
The setting was stunning. You could also go up on the rocks (use
sandals or shoes) on the left side of beach and walk around - with a
full view of the Atlantic Ocean's waves crashing against the rocks
below you. You can walk along and come to another cove with another
beautiful beach, which was guarded by security as you come around the
rocks.

Long Bay was equally pretty, but with two resorts surrounding the
beach, it does get crowded. Snorkeling among the many reef foundations
was fun. When we left Long bay we stopped at a nearby turnoff to view
the Devil's Bridge. It was down a long rocky road, but the site, which
was right on the ocean above crashing waves, was worth the visit (that
is if you were in the area).

Only Long Bay had food and restroom amenities and while snorkeling was
good at Long Bay and Half Moon Bay, the fish and coral colors were
lacking. As I prefer to snorkel right off the beach, Antigua would not
rate as anywhere close to my favorite St John's (US Virgin Islands).

From the Dickenson's Bay area, getting to most of beaches took about
20-25 minutes. We also visited Nelson's Dockyard. I liked the Museum,
but most of original buildings in the dockyard were either restaurants
or souvenir shops. Avoid St John's area when cruise ships are in -
traffic nightmare. I'm told west coast beaches near the harbor are crowded with cruise
ship folks as well.

Luckily, on our last night, we had reservations at Cecilia's High
Point Cafe (near the airport), owned by a former Swiss model. The
setting was quite romantic and food was superb. The owner is a
wonderful host as well. Reservations are essential as dinner is only
Monday AND Thursday.

A nice ending. Have fun and happy travels!!

4 Thank forego
bancroft
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My new bride and I decided to elope instead of the traditional wedding. After much research, we decided on Antigua, and then a bit more decided on Siboney Beach Club. They had good reviews and we weren't interested in the big crowded all inclusives, but something more quiet and intimate. We also planned to rent a car and explore the island as we are both adventurous spirits, so why pay for all that if your not gonna use it right? It was the perfect choice. The room was clean and nicely appointed. We had read about mosquitoes on other reviews, and brought bug spray just in case. There were a few flying around, but they don't buzz, and didnt seem interested in biting us at all. We never had to use our spray, and didn't get bit once all week, so they were no problem at all. Beautiful garden areas, a nice pool which didnt see much use, very nice restaurant, and a lovely beach, so there was no reason to go anywhere else if you didn't want to.
I think what impressed us the most was the staff. They were instrumental in helping us with our wedding plans, and we held the ceremony right there on the beach, barefoot in the sand! It was just as beautiful as we pictured it in our minds. Pulled off without a hitch. But back to the staff. Tony Johnson, the owner is a wonderful man. Warm, friendly and intelligent, he is very accessible and a wealth of information, and basically so is the crew he has assembled there. Right down to the grounds keepers, and the women that cleaned our room. By the end of our week long stay, it was hard to say goodbye. A lot of the other guests were return visitors and if we had the means, this would be our home away from home.

2 Thank robert d
London
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a really nice, small hotel located on the beach at the end of Dickenson Bay. We had a one bed apartment / studio which included a small kitchenette – fine for rustling up breakfast and snack lunches (there is a 4 ring gas hob and microwave but no oven). There rooms are clean and large enough but do not expect 5 star luxury. They are a bit dated and basic. The shower is fine, there is a TV (but no DVD) and A/C - although not the most effective I have come across. We had a small balcony overlooking their wonderful garden – it is almost worth staying at the hotel just to enjoy the sub tropical garden and pool area. The owner and staff are great, interested, interesting and very helpful.

I guess the only downside is the cost, the hotel is a shade expensive given the facilities but it does feel authentic Antigua, is on the beach and I would stay here anytime in preference to the god-awful, faux Las Vegas monstrosity that is the Sandals resort further on down the beach.

Very relaxed, very chilled and recommended

Room Tip: There are only 12 rooms - so not a lot of choice !!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
#4 of 15 in St. John's
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
#1 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Siboney Beach Club? Share your experiences!