“Unforgettable Wedding Experience!”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Houston, Texas
“Unforgettable Wedding Experience!”
Reviewed March 19, 2007

My husband and I recently married in Antigua. We made the decision after the engagement to have a destination wedding to keep things simple and stress to a minimum. After much time researching and looking for the perfect place, we found it in Antigua. The Blue Waters Hotel was amazing. They took care of everything! Our wedding coordinator, Alicia, was first-class. She made our special day a day we will never forget. We were able to relax and enjoy ourselves in the beautiful surroundings rather than having to concern ourselves in the planning aspect, which made our time even more special.

We had 13 friends and family members join us for the intimate ceremony. We became husband and wife under a gazebo surrounded on 3 sides by the most beautiful water you can imagine. After the ceremony, we all gathered for a reception at The Palms outdoor restaurant (at The Blue Waters Hotel) for dinner and dancing under the starlit sky. I would highly recommend anyone desiring a destination wedding to go to Blue Waters. You won't be sorry!

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — I loved everything!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank grneyes04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Turkish first
Baton Rouge
Reviewed March 1, 2007

A beautiful hotel that we were fortunate to be able to experience (used Am Ex points towards cost of stay - worth every point used!)
Our room was very nice - we stayed in a Deluxe Beachfront and loved the view and the convenience. Absolutely no complaints regarding hotel! I am in the hospitality industry and found the hotel staff to be extremely accommodating - staff and hotel certainly met our expectations! We ventured out quite a bit, but our experiences at the hotel were nothing but pleasant onces. Strongly suggest eating at The Cove Restaurant (next door) - great crab cakes and a terrific ambiance! Our favorite restaurant on the island. Although driving on the island was tricky at first, we didn't find the drives (when we drove) or the cab fare to be a deterrent from doing the things we wanted to do. A relaxing, very comfortable environment and we found a good mix of age groups enjoying a good time in the evenings/nights in the lounge/bar. Strongly recommend a sailing trip with Miramar Sailing - our favorite day spent with very accomodating crew, owners Brian and Pippa. Also highly recommended is a scuba dive with Indigo Divers - they handled my nervousness (I dive about once every 3 years) with understanding and were supportive and helpful ensuring that I had 2 good dive experiences.

Stayed August 2006
10 Thank VisitNola
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 27, 2007

We checked into Blue Waters on a Saturday afternoon for a four night stay. As experienced by others, we were asked to have a seat, (and brought a cool towel and rum punch!) while we were checked in. As we waited, the assistant manager came over and introduced herself, telling us that we had been assigned room 102 with a beautiful view of the water. After reading other reviews on this site, I had requested a room in the 100 block, so I was happy. I was even happier when we arrived at the room! Our room was on the 2nd floor…with that slight elevation…when you sat on our balcony in one of the two chairs…all you could see was water! Gorgeous! More on the room later.
This was our first experience with an All Inclusive plan. We don’t usually like to stay in one place, (preferring to explore a little) and I was worried there wouldn’t be much variety. However, this was not the case. In the Palm Restaurant, they alternate between a buffet one day and a la carte the next for all meals except breakfast, which is always a buffet. (Although I did see guests ordering from the menu even when a buffet was offered). My favorite meal was The Palm’s Sunday Brunch buffet...try the delicious seafood salad. Vyviens, located upstairs, is the more “fancy” of the restaurants offering very good food and excellent service. There is an extra charge for some of the pricier entrees like lobster or filet mignon if you’re on the AI plan, but they offered so many choices, we never ordered any of those. We had a three course meal on both of the nights we dined there. Well actually ...four courses… because both nights the chef sent out some small appetizer before the first course…”with the chef’s compliments”. You can also get food by the pool...from a more limited menu...nachos, sandwiches, etc. Remember to make dinner reservations early in the day, as the slots fill up fast.
They have a drink menu at both the Poolside and Pelican Bar featuring “staff concoctions” along with the "drink of the day" and we enjoyed trying most of them! ;-) As is customary in the caribbean, they don't skimp on the liquor...the rum punch packs a...well...."punch"! Drink service was efficient and friendly. The day before we left, we finally met the famous Carolyn. Not hard to pick her out…she was the one making people smile wherever she went!
The food and drinks are very expensive...even for the Caribbean...so I think the AI option was the right choice for us. It was amazing to me that the staff seemed to know who was AI and who wasn't. Most of the time, they would ask you for your room number, and automatically know if you were AI or not. However, several times they didn't even do that, and... we never had to sign for anything! A 10 percent tip is included in the AI option, which you can add to "at your discretion".
The beaches ARE small as previously reported but never seemed too crowded. There are extra lounge chairs stacked up which you can take wherever you want. The first day my husband put ours down in front of the 100 building, near the watersports building. However, the next day, as we were walking the property we noticed a beach on the opposite end of the property, which was occupied by only one or two couples. And, most of the day, we had it all to ourselves...except for the occasional waitress offering drinks, water, or slices of fruit. However, I did discover, when I went in the water, that this section of the water is filled with rocks and seaweed…ouch! But if you just want to sit and look at the water while reading, and enjoy some privacy…it’s a great place to be! There is a third beach...we saw a sign on the Watersports building indicating they would take you to it by boat, but we never took advantage of it, so I can’t comment on that one.
Watersports offers all types of watercraft (paddle boats, canoes, catamarans) that you can use free of charge. There is a $35/hour charge for sailing lessons (on a small catamaran). Also, when you arrive, there are two beach towels fanned out on the bed and this is where you can change them out for clean ones. Very convenient if you're staying in the 100 building...probably not if you're staying elsewhere.
The rooms are of a decent size with small flat screen TV, coffee maker and bathrobes. The bed was comfortable and the closet had plenty of hangers, a safe, iron and ironing board, and even a Blue Waters umbrella inside for your use during the stay (not that we ever needed it!). The bathroom is large with a shower and separate tub. Here is where I found a few negatives. The temperature handle was "stripped" and hard to adjust and although I called to report it...no one ever came to fix it. Also, our bathroom window had bent screens so we had to keep it closed to prevent bugs from coming in. Since there was no air conditioning vent in there…it made it quite humid. The button on the hairdryer had to be held down to make it stay on. The only other disappointment was with our mini bar. Because we were doing the AI, it was to be stocked however we wanted. On our arrival, there was a lot of beer in there and very few waters and cokes. Not being beer drinkers, I requested that and they bring more waters and coke. They complied but this was the only time it was restocked. First, because they don’t restock on Sundays and, second, because we were not left another form (which you must leave on your door) after the first restocking. However, I guess I could have called down to request another form, and ask again for help with the shower handle, so it’s partly my fault. There are no snacks in the mini bar...only drinks. Maid service was good. The first day, she did not leave ice so I went out to inquire where I could find some (not knowing that was part of their service) and an employee outside said “oh maid service should have done that…but I’ll do it”. Impressive that she was willing to "jump in" and take care of it.
The overall Blue Waters experience is one of quiet tranquility. The majority of the guests while we were there appeared to be over 50 and I only saw a few children. Be aware, as posted by others, this is not a resort for “partying”. Even the nightly entertainment in the Pelican Bar is what I would call subdued. But if you’re looking for a place to relax and “chill out” this is a perfect choice. It’s a beautiful resort with good food and drink, and a nice friendly staff.

• Liked — Beautiful views and friendly service
  • Disliked — Room 102's bathroom!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
16 Thank phw0923
Basingstoke
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Well, after spending a week at this hotel Im sitting here wishing I was still there.

We flew with Virgin Atlantic and apart from running out of custom forms (which caused a nightmare hell at the airport) made the journey nice and easy.

On arrival make sure you RUN from the airplane - Immigration at the airport is a total nightmare. You have to make sure you fill in a Carbon/Double copy form. Its Hot, crowded and the queue is really really slow. Antigua Authorities need to sort this part of their island out and soon!

After that, our private transfer took us directly to the wonderfull reception of BlueWaters, and we were given a lovely Rum Punch and cold towel (well needed) as we filled in the checkin in forms. Then we walked to our room and were totally stunned at how clean/tidy/pretty the grounds were. We stayed in Room 508 (upstairs) and it was, and Im going to say this word alot, PERFECT. So perfect in fact, the wife burst into tears as on some "5 star" holidays in the past we have been very disappointed.
A view over the inviting Clear Blue Sea and overlooking the infinity pool, Flat Screen TV, which got turned on for about 10 mins whole holiday, Mini Bar, Safe, and a sofa area out on the balcony.

Food offerings are amazing, Ive never eatten so much on Holiday and enjoyed every meal. Edgar the Food Manager was really friendly and was always on hand to talk about his offerings. The chefs were friendly and would happily do anything you ask them for.

3 different swimming pools, all with their own areas for sunbathing. Two with little pool bars and one adult only (which we never visited to be honest). Sitting around the deck area by the infinity pool over the sea is probably the most relaxing experience of my life! Cold drink, Cold Towels, Chopped cold fruit and extremely friendly and attentive staff made the days even more pleasurable. The Harvey Wallbangers making the day "float" past!

Evening entertainment saw a varied range of bands and singers with some more lively then others. This is not a resort that is kicking in the evening and some of the younger guest on another party were a little bored in the evenings. But you make it your own with or without the band and we did just that making some really good friends with other guests.

We did venture off one night to the Cove Resturant (about a 2 min taxi ride) where were were treated to more food delights over looking the sea. Very reasonable pricing too for what we had, and a very romantic evening with the Wife.

Our friends were getting married at the resort and the care and attention they received was out of this world. The whole hotel staff knew about the wedding and most of the other guests too.
It was a perfect day with a BBQ arranged around the pool for the evening meal, with 20 of us having the area to ourselves with the bar.

The Water Sports Center has flippers and snorkles, kayaks and hobbie cats all to use should you feel that energetic. The wife loved it and became a total Sport Billie during the week!
Another little tip - Ask them to arrange for "Smokey" to take you out on a days snorkling. The wife and friends went and talked about it all holiday (even now) saying how good it was and how funny Smokey is. The Conk blowing as he pulls up will tell you who he is!

On the all inclusive packagage that we stayed on, the only extra's were a couple of meals in the Vivians Resturant (Lobster and Steak I think) but to be honest although the food was amazing, you could be anywhere in the world when dinning there, and we enjoyed Palms resturants offerings every night.

Just for reference, the Wife and I have been to Domincan Republic, Barbadoes, Mauritius and stayed in mostly "5 star" resorts and we have never seen service on these scales. The island itself is stunning, not over developed like some of the other islands and super friendly.

As for the Hotel itself, being that little bit smaller then a Big resort gives them the advantage of looking after their guests and the overall upkeep of the resort much more personally.

Would I go back? For the first time in my life - YES and I CANT WAIT!

PERFECT! 11 out of 10!

• Liked — The Views, The Food and the hospitality
  • Disliked — Coming home
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
25 Thank CurlyandLou
basingstoke
Reviewed February 20, 2007

I can recommend Blue Waters to anyone, the accomadation, the grounds, the food it was simply the best! Friends got married out there and the obvious effort that the Hotel staff had gone to o make it a very special day was obvious - so for any one thinking about a carribean wedding this one needs to be considered.

Some tips...

Fly with Virgin as they offer a 'Check in & chill out service' this means you dont need to get to the airport 3 hours before you leave and you can spend the day at your hotel - we used this service and arrived at the airport at 5.15pm and were on the plane by 6.00pm !

The airport arriving is like a Horror film, not much organisation a bit of a free for all so be prepared but once your through it s well worth it!

10 Thank Aliciashep
portsmouth
Reviewed February 19, 2007

this is our 2nd visit over a 4 year period, and blue waters has lost none of its charm. The Palm Restaurant has a good choice of dishes. Varying the menus so you do not feel you are limited by choice. Vyviens is lovely for an a la carte evening. The jelly fish are still lurking in the waters although luckily we avoided being stung ,more by luck than good judgement. The refurbished bedrooms are very comfortable. The beach areas although small are never short of sunbeds likewise the pool areas. The grounds are kept beautifully, gardeners working at keeping them up together throughout the day without causing any disruption to guests. The beauty of Blue Waters is partly in its size, making it more of an intimate atmosphere, but what really makes it work are the staff - who work tirelessly to ensure you are enjoying your holiday. My only critisism would be the lack of interaction by the Manager with his guests. We never encountered him in the 11 nights we were there, this being in direct contrast to his predecessor, who was often walking around the hotel and grounds chatting to guests enquiring if everything was to their liking - which in my opinion is an excellent way of ensuring high standards are maintained. However Edgar, the Food and Beverage Manager was often in evidence and always enquired if we were enjoying ourselves. Will we return, I am sure we will.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank pearl-7
essex
Reviewed February 19, 2007

We spent 10days at this hotel and i can truly say that i have never felt so relaxed! the staff were all very freindly greeting you as you passed by. the bar staff at the pool allways came round to offer cold drinks and ice cold flannels and even pieces of fruit freshly chopped up. The meals were allways good and afternoon tea delicious. We stayed on the all inclusive option which i would advise. the evening entertainment was varied with some pretty good bands! very clean hotel, we stayed in room 109 which had a beautiful view of the carribean sea i would say that these ocean front rooms in block 100s were the best very spacious good bathroom with seperate shower cubicle. flat screen tv allthough not many channels, very comfortable bed and good balcony with comfortable chairs and foot stool. all in all this hotel is ideal if you just want to relax and chillout. It is not a place to go to if you want lively nightlife

• Liked — cleanliness,comfort view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,250 reviews
Hermitage Bay
Hermitage Bay
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to Blue Waters Antigua? Share your experiences!