“Paradise”

Blue Waters Antigua
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Leeds, England
Reviewed July 14, 2006

My friendly local Althams travel agent, Lorraine, suggested this gem of a place when my husband and I were thinking of getting married in Antigua and Iam so glad that she did.

After looking through several brochures, which don't do the place justice, we then looked at previous reviews on trip advisor. Although most were excellent a few comments made us have some doubts but we went ahead and booked anyway.

Before we had even landed I just looked out of the plane and knew we had come to the right place. Yes, there was a little wait at immigration but not too long. We had a private transfer to Blue Waters and after admiring the well kept cricket ground just outside the airport, we then sat back and enjoyed the beautiful views.

On arriving at Blue waters we were left to enjoy our rum punch in reception and then shown to our room. We had been upgraded to a deluxe beach front room (which I would recommend rather than a hillside room) and there really was the most stunning view of the Caribbean sea. The room and balcony were lovely but the bathroom although clean, neaded a little updating-but don't let it put you off.

After just one night we already felt at home and the staff had remembered our names. On night three our drinks came to our table without us having to order!! The service could not be faulted.

We went on two trips one on the Wadadli cat to Shirley heights and the other on the excellence to Barbuda (sister island to Antigua). The view and sunset from Shirley heights was amazing. The crossing to Barbuda was not so pleasant and there is no shade on the beach but there really is pink sand!

If you are expecting long sandy beaches then Blue Waters isn't for you but there are three well kept pools and the service is excellent. Our drinks were constantly being refilled and we never had to fight for loungers. We saw a few of the other hotels whilst on our stay and although they may look better in the brochure Blue Waters was definately more select and better by far.

The highlight of the holiday was when we got married and luckily for us we were the only couple to get married in the two weeks that we stayed. Although this was probably unusual I liked the fact that Blue Waters have a policy of only one wedding a day. Every bride should have their special day and shouldn't have to share it with three others!!

I had many concerns but the main one was about my dress and the heat. I wore a full ivory, satin wedding dress and felt absolutely wonderful. The gazebo where we got married was covered in fresh flowers and the florists had managed to include lillies as requested, in my bouquet. I walked down the 'isle' to the sounds of the wonderful steal band and the sight of the blue caribbean sea, perfect. The ceremony was conducted by Ulric Matthews and was amazing. It lasted at least 20 minutes and the vows were traditional and unlike civil ceremonies in England there could be reference to God (if you so wish). My husband and I went to Antigua alone so after the photographs (which were a little disappointing but the wedding video was excellent) we hired a Wadadli cat plus four crew to take use on a sunset cruise. Amazing. I would highly recommend this.

We ate at Vyviens every night and were never disappointed. The lobster was fantastic and Wingrove, Kempton, Marian and Gail all made us feel special.

We will definately be back.

Thank you Blue Waters.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Norwich
Reviewed June 29, 2006

Firstly I have to say that I disagree with all negative comments written about this hotel. My husband and I stayed here from 14th - 28th June with my parents and a couple of our friends (one of which is a vegetarian and never had any problems finding something suitable to eat at any of the meals) for our Wedding. The staff are always friendly and willing to go above and beyond to ensure your stay is perfect so long as you are polite to them. When we first arrived we were not given our guaranteed upgrade to a deluxe beachfront room as a wedding couple but this was an administrative error and rectified immediately with lots of apologies. There were no other problems whatsoever. You cannot fault the food in either of the restuarants at all, there is always a large and varied choice and you can order a la carte on the all inclusive plan. The buffets were extremely good quality and always very fresh. I cannot speak highly enough of the girls at the beauty salon. My mother, my bridesmaid and myself all had our hair done for the wedding and it was better than the trials I had in England before we left. I had my nails done before going out but the gel fell off due to the heat and they were wonderful enough to fix them for me last minute. I had several treatments and all were of a higher quality and better price than in England.

Cindy was great with the wedding, I disagree with a previous review that states you should not get married here if you are a control freak. I am a total control freak and was worrying about many aspects of the wedding that I had no control over and as soon as I got there and spoke with Cindy she put my mind totally at rest, we discussed what we wanted, she took care of everything and it was absolutely perfect.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough you will have a fantastic time and I cannot wait to return.

Stayed: June 2006
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We went here for our honeymoon for 7 days. The resort is absolutely gorgeous. Very well maintained and the beach and pool areas are very nice. They brought in music/entretainment each night and it was lots of fun to have drinks after dinner and talk and dance. Our only big gripe was the food. As you know, the resort is primarily British folks. They really seemed to adore the food. We were expecting to have more grilled fish and fresh fruit/veggies. This was not the case. Most of the food was breaded or fried. The fruit was no better than what we can get in Chicago! By the 7th day, we were pretty hungry!

However, its very relaxing and great for a honeymoon. If you like to be really active, I would not recommend this place. There is not a lot to do and the beach really is quite small. We wanted to walk outside the resort and the front desk told us we shouldn't because of the wild dogs. This freaked us out a bit so we stayed at the resort! We took a taxi tour for a day around the island, which was a nice way to sight-see. You can really see everything you need to in about a 4-5 hour journey.

We enjoyed ourselves. but I don't think we'll make another trip. too many other great places to go.

Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank chitowntogo
Reviewed June 22, 2006

The worst thing about Antigua occurs as soon as you arrive. "Immigration" involves standing for an inordinately long time in a small, crowded hall where there is no air circulating and nothing to prevent the temperature and humidity going sky-high. When your turn actually comes, the immigration process takes no more than a few seconds but the waiting is a most unpleasant way of being introduced to the beautiful island of Antigua. However, this is probably the only unpleasant experience you will have to go through for the entire holiday.

A 20 minute taxi ride takes you to Blue Waters and any reservations you might have had while at the airport are immediately dispelled. The hotel is quite compact but always gives the impression of being spacious and not at all crowded. We were met by the assistant manager and were immediately sat down in the enormous reception area, given a cold towel and glasses of rum punch and invited to relax while we were checked in. This sets the tone for the rest of your stay. Everything possible is done to enable you to sit back, relax and enjoy yourself. The staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing would appear to be too much trouble for them in making your stay as pleasurable as possible.

When we were ready we were taken to our beachfront room, with a quick tour of the site on the way. After speaking to other guests, we were glad we obtained this upgrade as apparently many of the hillside rooms lack either a view or a balcony or patio. It was not quite as large as the pictures on the website suggested, but well decorated and maintained and provided us with everything we could want. The bathroom was large and spacious, our one criticism being that it was almost impossible to get cooler air circulating in the bathroom, which made it very hot and humid all the time. According to my wife, the complimentary Gilchrist & Soames toiletries (large size) are ‘fabulous’. Best of all, however, was the view from the room, looking out over the Caribbean sea and across to the other side of the hotel and the causeway and gazebo where the weddings take place. The mini-bar facility was kept well stocked with everything that we required by simply hanging the order form on the outside of the door the night before, and sheets and towels were changed daily. The chambermaids are without exception friendly and helpful, and our usual maid even left a gift of fresh flowers on our bed on the morning of our wedding.

The facilities provided by the hotel are second to none. There are 3 pools to choose from plus the beach. At the two bigger pools which have bars, the staff are very attentive and supplies of iced water, cold towels and freshly cut chilled fruit are regularly brought round to everyone. Wherever you are it is never noisy or crowded, it is the perfect place to chill out and relax with plenty of sunbeds available. Changing our beach towels was never a problem, but I should imagine it would be quite inconvenient if you were in a hillside room and planning to use the adults only pool high up in the gardens or the smaller beach on the other side of the causeway, as the watersports staff who issue the clean towels are situated at the opposite end of the resort.

The 2 restaurants are of a very high quality. The dress code seemed to be largely ignored at the Palm, and mentioned but not enforced at Vyviens. We ate all our meals at the Palm except on our wedding night when we went to Vyviens. I highly recommend the steaks served at the Palm which are truly melt-in-the mouth. The Monday BBQ evening is also well worth attending. The island cats do walk around quite unobtrusively in the Palm dining room, but seem so much part of the scenery that you almost cease to notice them after a couple of days. My wife was more bothered by the birds who take every opportunity to partake of your breakfast milk if it has been left uncovered! If you are on all inclusive, as we were, you seem to be able to eat almost continuously if that is what you want. In general, the meals are excellent and the service is relaxed and very friendly. I disagree with a comment made in a previous review that the buffet-style breakfasts are not vegetarian friendly; in addition to the meat dishes, there are plentiful choices of cereals, yoghurts, fresh and tinned fruits, croissants and pastries, toast, eggs cooked to your liking, and a wonderful concoction known as ‘chop up’ served on a Sunday which is totally meat & fish free. I would say that choice is far more limited at other mealtimes when there is usually only one vegetarian dish on the menu.

Mention must also be made of the gymnasium in the hotel, which contained modern equipment, was well maintained and was available for use throughout the day. It was also the second coolest place in the hotel (quite how they managed to get the temperature in the restrooms at reception so low I will never know!!)

While staying at Blue Waters we got married. Having read previous reviews we knew it would be a wonderful and very special day. Thanks in large part to Cindy Joseph, the wedding coordinator, our hopes and expectation for the day were exceeded. Everything was done in a very relaxed way, but everything possible was done to make the day exactly how we wanted, and more. Even the trip into St. Johns to organise the legalities prior to the wedding went far better than expected, only taking around an hour instead of the entire morning we had be warned to expect. My wife visited the beauty salon to have her nails, hair and make-up done and reported that the staff were efficient , although lacking in some of the pampering skills one would expect in a salon of this quality in the UK. However she was very pleased with the results and with the flowers provided for her bouquet and my buttonhole.

Having spoken to several other couples, we realised after booking the ceremony that our planned time of 2pm was going to be the hottest part of the day, so asked Cindy to change it if possible, which as usual she managed with utmost efficiency. I would urge anyone marrying in Antigua to opt for the latest possible ceremony (4.30pm) to take advantage of the slightly cooler temperature and really think twice about what they plan to wear. We saw brides wilting in the heat and grooms struggling in suits which quickly turned into their own personal steam baths; although the gazebo itself benefits from some delightful sea breezes, the heat is oppressive once you return to the main complex. We were very glad we had opted for the casual look – myself in a short sleeved shirt and linen trousers and my wife in a knee-length silk blend dress.

We opted for the steel band who really added a Caribbean feel to the occasion and the photographer who was friendly and capable although the finished prints are not quite as high quality as some people may require. We felt that they were exceptional value for money especially as you also receive all the negatives. The ceremony itself was conducted by Cleo Percival whose words were truly emotional and, unlike a civil ceremony in the UK, included references to God. As we had travelled to Antigua by ourselves, our two witnesses were Cindy and Karen, one of the managers at the hotel. We couldn't have asked for a better start to our married lives than to have the ceremony take place in the gazebo at Blue Waters.

The clientele during our stay was predominantly middle-aged British couples, with a few younger couples (many of whom were there to get married with accompanying family members) and a very few Americans. There were hardly any children, and I feel that Blue Waters is very adult orientated, which was just what we wanted. The evening entertainment is variable, ranging from very good to just bearable but mainly consists of local bands that have very similar repertoires. Although our room was near to the bandstand, once inside the music becomes pleasant background noise and we had no trouble dropping off to sleep when we wished to retire early.

We didn’t feel the need to go on any trips during our stay (despite the best efforts of Elvis on the beach – a great character who is happy to take no for an answer) but those of our fellow guests who did seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves. Jewellery shopping in St.Johns was mentioned more than once (but luckily out of my wife’s earshot). Wadadli Cats will pick you up from the beach and take you for a day’s swimming and sightseeing, but be warned you have to board a small dinghy to reach the Cat which people with mobility problems or babies in pushchairs may find difficult.

Two things could have been improved on during our stay: on one day the entire hotel was without water due to the lack of rain over the previous months and the inability to obtain any from anywhere else until late in the evening. We felt that this situation should have been foreseen and avoided, and when no mention of this was made in the evening bulletin delivered to all guests when the beds are turned down, it seemed decidedly lacking in customer relations. Surely an apology and a ‘thanks for your patience’ would not have gone amiss?

The other episode we were less than happy with occurred on our last evening at Blue Waters. Having ordered certified copies of our marriage certificate and paid $ 30 for these, we were shocked to discover that these legal documents had been left outside our room on the patio by whoever delivered them. On reporting this to reception, it was obvious that the receptionist we were speaking to had been the person responsible, but no apology of any kind was forthcoming, (a completely different attitude to Cindy’s when we told her about it the next morning).

On the day we left, staff were coming up to us and hugging us, saying their farewells and hoping we would come back to Antigua soon. It doesn't get any friendlier than that! We have been back from holiday 2 weeks now and the wonderful memories are still fresh in our minds, not only of the wonderful place that Blue Waters is in itself, but also how extra special it is made by the wonderful staff that we met and got to know. One thing is for certain, it will not be long before we return to Blue Waters.

• Stayed: May 2006
27  Thank Steve D
Reviewed June 21, 2006

Blue Waters, Antigua - "Fabulous holiday"
Date: 7th June 2006
We have just returned from a ten day holiday at Blue Waters. We had been to Barbados last year and thought we wouldn't be able to top that but Blue Waters did. If you want a relaxing holiday with good food, wonderful scenery, warm crystal blue sea and a marvellous staff with cleanliness and courtesy you wont beat Blue Waters. Make sure you ask for Block 100 as this has the best view of the sea. Outside our balcony we watched pelicans diving for fish! The hotel is quite secluded so you need to either hire a car or go on the 4x4 island trip, preferably the air conditioned one which is more relaxing and very informative, although a little pricey.

When we arrived we were given cold flannels and drinks which was very welcome. We asked for Block 100 as we had read a review stating this was a good block and were immediately given the key to 110 try and get this I think this has the best view. The room was really clean and Lucille is wonderful and keeping that way. Also you never have to fight for a lounger as we found there were always plenty as there are three pools the most dramatic being the infinity pool with the bar run by Carolyn who is wonderful and keeps you stocked with drinks. The drinks were great especially the Blue Surprise my favourite. I could go on and on but will stop now and just say if you are looking for paradise you can't go far wrong with Blue Waters.

18  Thank shirmike
London, England
Reviewed June 20, 2006

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Blue Waters Hotel in June 2006. The standard at the hotel was superb. The staff were wonderful, the rooms are very high standard, clean and stylish. We had the best two week holiday we've ever had.

We opted for the bed and breakfast option, which was perfect for us. The breakfast buffet gives plenty of choice and is enough to keep you going until the afternoon. The two restaurants on site were both very good, we ate at the Hotel for our first week and were not disappointed at all. The staff at Blue Water are so helpful and friendly. I must mention Carolyn at the beach bar and Andre in the restaurant, they are both a credit to the Hotel.

During our second week we hired a jeep to explore the beautiful island and were lucky enough to sample food at various places around the island...Big Banana in St.John..ten out of ten for pizza! 'The Beach' on Dickinson Bay was very boho, good food, great service, as is Coconut Grove. We ate lunch at 'Smiley Harry's' shack with the locals..it is located on the most gorgeous beach, Half Moon Bay. Harry's chicken and rice were fantastic for just a few dollars! I was recommend Half Moon Bay to anyone, an idyllic quiet beach.

The best restaurant we ate at during our two weeks was The Cove without a doubt, which is located next to Blue Water Hotel. We simply couldn't fault the food, it was beautifully presented, tasty, and the portions were bigger than you'd expect at a restaurant of this calibre. The service is great too, very classy but also personable. We returned for a second meal on our last night in Antigua because we just had to sample something else on the menu!

This was not a cheap holiday, but you really do get what you pay for. We would recommend Blue Water and The Cove to anyone. It was very hard to return home, and get back to reality!

• Stayed: June 2006
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed at the Blue Waters for 10 nights at the end of May 2006; we were there for our wedding and honeymoon.

Overall, the hotel is quite nice; the grounds and facilities are very well maintained. Never any problems with crowding of the swimming pools; beaches were occasionally crowded due to rude travelers "reserving" lounges with their books and towels for several hours (when I complained to the staff about this nothing was done, unfortunately.)

The food is probably the worst situation we encountered during our stay. We were on the breakfast plan, which includes just that, plus afternoon tea. Breakfast doesn't start until 7:30 (some people are very early risers especially when the sun comes up at 5 am!) and is very lacking in creativity. The service at breakfast was curt at best, occasionally rude at worst. Vegetarians BEWARE; this is not a vegetarian friendly place to eat your breakfast. The food was of okay quality but not exceptional; one morning I counted 7 varieties of meat available, if you like that sort of thing (I obviously don't). Procuring coffee (our in room coffeemaker was terrible and rarely worked correctly) is very difficult except at meal times. We did not eat any other meals at the hotel restaurant because of the immense expense (18.5% tax is added onto the dinner charge at the cheaper of the two restaurants of $55 US pp for a set menu- very expensive.) We rented a car for a few days and ate in town; some days we ate fruit, bread, and cheese from the local grocery store that we kept in our room. We did eat at The Cove for our wedding night dinner; it was good, but not exceptional. The views however, are fantastic and the hostess is very nice.

The wedding was very nice; the planning part was pretty easy although I didn't quite end up with the flowers I expected. If you're a control freak; DO NOT get married here. The trip to town to get a license went pretty smoothly and was not a major inconvenience. Our wedding day was very nice; I did not utilize the salon services as they are again rather expensive even compared to upscale salons in the US. My mother, a hairdresser, was present for the wedding and did my hair and nails; I took care of my own makeup. We did not hire the steel drum band because we only had 2 guests at the wedding but they were EXCELLENT and at the reasonable cost, I wish we had. The photographer was friendly enough and gave us more prints than we paid for, but the quality and creativity was only okay. (Many of the shots are poorly lit so that we look like black blobs; some are off center, some out of focus, and many of them appear that the timing was off; like he just missed the important moment somehow.) We did not hire the videographer. The real highlight of the ceremony was the marriage officer (although you probably won't get the same one, request Ulric!) he was fantastic even if he was almost 40 minutes late. (No one told either myself or the groom for quite some time, and we both thought the other had gotten cold feet and ran away. Luckily this wasn't the case!) They pulled the wedding off very smoothly without making it seem like just another part of their workday. It was overall very nice and we enjoyed it but not good if you like to manage the small details of everything. Be specific about your flowers.

One highlight of our trip (besides renting a car and driving around the island) was that we apparently went during an underbooked time and were subsequently VERY upgraded to room 406 The Sundown Suite. It costs more than 3x than what we actually paid and we were very happy. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom large with a jacuzzi tub (although the jets don't work) and with a humongous balcony. The coffeemaker is abysmal, however. My mother and her friend were staying a shorter amount of time, and were actually upgraded to the ROCK COTTAGE. It was very fantastic.

My husband and I agree that we would definitely visit the Blue Waters again, but we would probably only stay for 4 or so days. There isn't really much to do at the hotel and unless you *really* enjoy staring into the ocean doing nothing for days at a time, it is easy to get a little restless. The evening entertainment is okay, not too rowdy, but they seem to break more than they do play. It is a great place to completely relax and DO NOTHING, but if you want more activities, look elsewhere.

P.S. Adrienne at the reception desk was by far the most courteous and wonderful staff member we encountered during our stay; she was truly excellent! She needs to give the restaurant staff lessons on customer service.

• Stayed: May 2006
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Carlisle Bay Antigua
Carlisle Bay Antigua
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to Blue Waters Antigua? Share your experiences!