“Great Place for A Couples Get-A-Way.. Rest and Relaxation Plentiful !”

Blue Waters Antigua
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Tampa Bay
“Great Place for A Couples Get-A-Way.. Rest and Relaxation Plentiful !”
Reviewed January 23, 2006

Our travels included two other couples, and we have in the past taken catamaran vacations. This was a pleasant change and the 3bedroom beachfront villa rooms 601-603 were perfect for us. The property is just the right size, not too small and not too large.

Accomodations were clean and more than comfortable. In the islands the air conditioning systems are different than central air, but with some work and adjustment, they are more than accomodating.

Our dining included breakfast daily in the Palms, with a nice buffet, with slight menu changes daily. We enjoyed the BBQ buffet dinner and the cost per couple is about $100usd with gratuity and tax NO drinks included. We did not dine at Vyviens

We also dined at a local restaurant called "The Beach" and found this to be exceptional ! The ambiance and sunset with dinner exceeded our expectations...the food was excellent and service was friendly. THIS place is a must ! Cost with drinks under $100usd per couple with appetizers.

We visited Sandals for a day and found the property bustling with activity and guests. The beach is plentiful and beautiful there, but busy with families and public users. Lunch and dinner was very nice.

Our luck was in at Kings Casino !! We all walked away with nice winnings within the hour !
The rain forest is quite simple !! Not much in comparison to those in Costa Rica of course.
Darkwood beach is beautiful and wonderful sitting for a beach picnic for a couple hours. Wish we would have planned for this.
Nelsons Dockyard is a must, and be sure to hike out to Bentleys fort. After take a taxi ride out to Shirley heights for the view and enjoy a beverage and meal!

25 Thank c2c4u2travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Turkish first
San Diego
Reviewed January 20, 2006

I stayed here a few years ago and wanted to check on reviews to see if the service and attitude got any better. When I booked the hotel, I had read reviews complaining about the reception service but decided to risk it since the hotel was supposedly beautiful. The service at the front desk completely ruined my Antigua vacation. We were island-hopping in the Caribbean for 6 weeks, and I wish I never set foot on Blue Waters. The problem I think is that the reception staff do not come across as ethical, and they have a very superior attitude. At check-out, the GM came out to talk but I can barely even stand that experience. Now when I receive their promotional materials in the mail, I just shudder.

Stayed July 2003
12 Thank momwithteenagers
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 17, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a great week at Blue Waters. We found this place almost by accident after originally booking at Sandals. We were pleasantly suprised with how beautiful the grounds and rooms were and the staff was fantastic. Our room was a Beachfront junior suite (Room 702. We had a wonderful view of the Ocean and the room was very nice, it seemed to have been recently renovated. The hotel has a small but private beach and has two great pools. The food was very good and there was a good variety for everyone. I couldn't have been happier about the vacation and we met some great people while there from New Jersey(Andy and Cathy), London(Carolyn and Dan), and Scotland. I would recommend the horse back riding on Dickenson Bay, and going out to eat at Coconut Grove and Le Bistro. All in all we had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Neptune, New Jersey
Reviewed January 16, 2006

My husband and I just returned from Blue Waters after spending a wonderful, all-inclusive week. We were on our honeymoon and we were very pleased to be upgraded to a fabulous room out near the rock cottage. This was unexpected and we were very grateful. The views were spectacular! We enjoyed the food at both the restaurants, but Vyvians was our favorite because of the very friendly staff. Wynngrove Peters always had a smile and everyone was happy to serve us. The Palms was great as well. We loved the international buffet night and the Carribbean BBQ night. We also thought the breakfast had something for everyone and we enjoyed going there every morning. The drinks were delicious and plentiful. Althea and Judian, ( good luck with your new baby ), were always so friendly and I would definitely recommend the BBC frozen drink....yum yum. We met some really great friends from the UK and the US. ( hello to Jeff and Jill as well as Ian and Kim )
I would not recommend the Spa however. I got the Blue Waters package of a seaweed wrap, facial and pedicure. I felt the place could have been cleaner and I felt a little uneasy but "struggled" through it! Also, I would be very careful on the Wadadli catamaran trip that we booked through Elvis on the beach. We were the last stop to be picked up that morning and the boat was extremely crowded so there was hardly a place to sit. The waters were also very rough in the Altantic while caused me to get bruises on both my shins from banging them against railing. Be warned.
All in all we had a wonderful time, the staff was terrific, the food great and the place was beautiful.

15 Thank Kathy A
london
Reviewed January 5, 2006

We have just returned from a fabulous holiday over Christmas and New Year at blue waters. After reading your reviews we were worried about what we had let ourselves in for! We were pleasantly surprised.The rooms were nice - we had 2 interconnecting beachfront rooms in the 500 block. The bathroom was a bit too small.

There were always sun loungers available throughout our 2 weeks there. The food was delicious in The Palm - we ate once in Vyviens but did not like the atmosphere. The menu changed every day and was of a very high quality compared to other hotels in the Caribbean.

Some of the staff were fantastic - especially carolyn and all the bar staff, and the duty managers and managers were all very friendly and helpful.

The restaurant staff are either extremely friendly or distinctly unfriendly.

The reception staff are generally inefficient, unfriendly and unhelpful. My advice is that if you have a problem, go straight to the managers office. We were irritated by the late maid service each day - often our rooms were still not cleaned at 3.00pm. The maids could not give out fresh towels at turn-down.

Each morning you have to collect your towels from the activity desk on the beach. Whilst this was not a far walk, you also had to make sure you took the dirty towels back to exchange for fresh ones. They were not happy if you left them by the pool at the end of the day.

We met some really lovely people there. The crowd seemed to be predominantly British. There was a mixture of families with young children, teenagers and some couples. If you go in the school holidays expect a little noise - the hotel staff seem to love children and many staff members knew the kids by name.

The rooms have apparently all been refurbished recently, but the chests of drawers have been very poorly designed and it is impossible to open a drawer wide enough without it falling out on your feet!

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would recommed the hotel.

• Stayed December 2005
22 Thank Sarahjds
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 29, 2005

My friend and I stayed here for 16 nights in Novemember. We had a Deluxe beachfront room, I have to agree that the check out arrangements are not as good as they could be, we flew with BA and did not depart until 9.20pm, which meant leaving the hotel at 7.00pm, we were lucky to be given another room in the 800 block, like another reviewer, I would not have been happy to have had to stay in it, however most people we met who stayed up in this area were more than happy, perhaps we had just been spoilt by our lovely room.
The food was excellent, we tried Vyvien's twice but found it very couply and not being a couple we felt like we were intruding, as The Palm restaurant was very good, we decided to stay and eat there. The staff were absolutely wonderful to us (male and female) particularly Carolyn, Clifford, Sandra, Rosalind and Garilyn, Diane and Pepe. Having travelled throughout the Caribbean, I have found that you need to give to them,talk to them, don't demand and snap fingers, they are people and deserve respect, they take a lot of **** from a lot of clients, particulary our American friends, who can be so rude and demanding (sorry but that's true), so be nice to them and you will reap the benefits. Also please remember that 5 star Caribbean is not 5 star in the UK, USA or Europe, it is the Caribbean, that's why we like going there, because of things like taking it easy, not having to rush about, having the electricty go out every day, it's unique!! Don't spoil it and turn it into another Disneyworld.
The beach is small, however the hotel was at full capacity whilst we were there and we always got a bed and space. I don't think they need 3 pools and they could try to do something with the 3 separate beach areas, e.g.extend them or link them.
The water was fairly murky, but there have been an inordinate amount of storms this year, we were still able to see fish swimming about, yes there were jellyfish (I myself got stung), again they were being washed in by the storms, they were not dangerous stings, some folks just like making a fuss.
The only criticism I would have against this excellent resort is to please, please do something about the sand flies, I have never had so many bites and spent a fortune in the gift shop buying "Off", as this is known problem and as fumigation doesn't seem to get rid of them, complimentary sprays would be nice.
Don't let it put you off, this is a well kept and well run hotel, with a staff who are all proud to work there. It is the most wonderful place to relax and get away from it all (which makes not having anything outside so nice, although I have to say a couple of local bars would have made a nice change), the evening entertainment varied but it is something that could be improved upon. Catamaran trips and Adventure Antigua pick you up directly on the beach.
By the way the book exchange in the shop is excellent, if I had known that I would not have taken so many with me!
Finally a comment was made about it being a de luxe hotel and it was felt that 75% of guests did not fall into the de luxe catefory, well sorry to have to disagree, that's pure snobbery, yes there were a few rough diamonds, but each to their own, the world has opened up and as long as we can respect each other and that people not classed as de luxe can respect the de luxe places they stay in, we should all be happy!! Nothing is perfect, one man's meat is another man's poison, if you don't like it, find a deserted island to stay on.

• Stayed November 2005
29 Thank Morag&Elspeth
West Sussex England
Reviewed November 26, 2005

Loved the hotel. We had a beach front deluxe room. However, although a mini bar and LCD tv, the room was quite basic. On our departure we requested 4 days beforehand to keep our room, and we would pay full whack. The reception said they did not know until day of departure whether we could keep room or not. Yet when I mentioned to our B.A rep, she got back to me on the morning prior to departure to say our room had been booked so it showed that reception knew but were not going to let on. With a check out at 11.45a.m. and a take off at 21.20 who wants to share communal toilets, showers etc - not for us. The hotel should respect and look after people who pay top whack.
After a lot of stress we finally got a room, but had to be moved into the 800 block which I would not want to have.
However, the hotel itself was very nice, staff were excellent.
Food, well, as a special birthday my husband ordered Lobster (from the UK) gave them the details of how would like it done, i.e. mine cold, his thermador. It was tough. We eat in Viviens and you felt like you were in a restaurant, not in a luxury Caribbean restaurant. Palm Restaurant was lovely.
Overall, staff very good, very friendly, except the reception staff. Could not even change EC or Dollars.
Beach is far too small, water cloudy, and the Jelly Fish, well forget it. Too many of them spoilt my holiday. Also I felt that the Blue Waters being a de luxe hotel, 75% of the people certainly were not "de luxe people"

• Stayed November 2005
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Blue Waters Antigua? Share your experiences!