“Read here for the definitive review of Blue Waters”

Blue Waters Antigua
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Shoreham by Sea
“Read here for the definitive review of Blue Waters”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This review is going to be long, as I really want to cover everything about this resort in detail. So I'm splitting the review in to subject headings. Hope you like it!

Airport to hotel:
Easy. We had a private car – only a £20 extra – and arrived at the hotel within 15 mins from leaving the airport.

Check-in:
A lovely check in and reception area greets you, along with Andy, the GM, who is very friendly. You’re offered a drink, cold towel and a seat so you check-in in comfort. All in all this aspect was well thought out.
Perhaps like many other travellers we arrived mid afternoon off the Virgin flight. And we were hungry having eaten only a paltry late meal on the flight. No worries because the hotel does a great afternoon tea which consists of light sandwiches, biscuits, cake and drinks. Excellent.

Room:
Very nice room we had – a suite – overlooking the main pool and Caribbean. The view was gorgeous. One of the best we’ve ever had on holiday. The suite itself was sumptuous and comfortable, with a large lounge, large bedroom and bathroom with a whirlpool bath. The balcony was also very large and we had a great time whiling away many hours on the balcony staring at the lovely views. The only negatives here were the uncomfortable bed. It was too lumpy and soft and needs replacing. Also, I have never bathed in the Caribbean, so the whirlpool bath was completely wasted on us.
The TV was also large and flat screen and had mostly US channels, which was fine if you like to watch TV on holiday. We find we watch a bit whilst getting ready for dinner, so it was a useful distraction.

Hotel grounds:
Blooming lovely – quite literally. The gardens were the star attraction. Now I know you don’t come to Antigua to look at gardens but it’s nice when they’re nice, and these were NICE. I think you get me!

Hotel facilities:
All round excellent, although not full marks. The gym was a bit poor. Quite a good multigym was present but the CV equipment lacked both quality and numbers. There were a few treadmills, and cross trainer, stepper and one bike, which was out of order. The lack of choice was never a problem, as the gym and hotel were fairly quiet, but this is inadequate during busy periods. If I was to advise the hotel I would say stick more bikes in there (easy and cost effective) and modernise the equipment – it was all rather old and outdated.
The rest of the facilities were excellent. The pools in the main area were great, and the little adult pool which was slightly out of the way was always quiet and few ventured here. So if you want to get away from kids this is a nice way to do it.
If you are going to the Cove Suites they have there own pools away from the main areas which looked lovely and always very quiet.
Also, the spa area allows hotel guests to use its loungers and its little pool which was really beautiful. Because no one ventured out that far (it was at one end of the property) we came across no-one else in the day we spent there – another little hidden gem you need to seek out. The service here was very good also, and they even offered to bring us a room service lunch if required. Brilliant! Bear in mind however, when we spent the day there the spa had few if any bookings. If the spa is busy then it stands to reason that this area would then become busy also. So choose your day here carefully.

Palm Restauarnt:
This is the hotel’s main restaurant, where breakfast and lunch is served for all guests and dinner is available. It was a lovely place, very nicely designed with numerous tables facing the sea with lovely views. Service here was very friendly and mostly efficient.
Breakfasts were always buffet style and were always excellent. Cereals, oats, fruits, full cooked style English breakfast, yoghurts, egg station etc etc! You won’t be hungry till lunch time!
Lunches were a mixture of buffet, bbq, and menu. Some buffets didn’t suit me (for example the curry and Mexican food) so I opted for food off the menu. So you’re never stuck for choice. The star of the show however was the bbq. Lovely cooked meats, slowly cooked and succulent. A meatasaurus paradise!
Dinners in the Palm followed the lunch time, including a bbq.

Bartley’s Restaurant:
This is the only enclosed restaurant in the hotel, so it had air con going. I have to say it didn’t suit me. It only served Asian cuisine but it also served Indian food as in curries. We tried it once and my wife liked her curry but I had a very poor mahi-mahi fish dish. You may like it here but it wasn’t for us.

Cove Restaurant:
Easily the star eatery.
First the good:
Excellent service is provided by all staff here. They were friendly, courteous and efficient.
The restaurant itself is brilliantly positioned on the water’s edge, about 10 feet above the sea. It has recently been moved down to this spot as the old restaurant further up is now the Spa at Blue Waters. It has a wide expanse and numerous tables along the water view edge so if you’re a couple it’s likely you’ll have a good view.
Food here is really excellent, although one or two mistakes occurred during our stay. My wife and I ate here 4 times and had the lobster thermidor 3 times! So you might say we liked it! In fact it was the best thermidor we’d ever eaten. Other dishes were also excellent but on one evening I chose pork as a main dish and it was horribly overcooked. However, when I mentioned about this it was absolutely no issue about getting a new dish – they couldn’t have been more professional about it. Excellent.

Nature in the restaurants:
Say what? I mean things like birds, bugs etc, as these can irritate some people when eating. Although there were birds, meaning you had to cover your food if you both left the table, they did an excellent thing here which I haven’t seen before. They had a bird house and replenished bird food during our eating times. The birds made a bee-line for this and not the restaurant, so an excellent way of solving the problem, to within about 80%. After all, you’ll never completely get rid of them!
During our stay we had a fly problem – houseflies in fact. These were prolific due to heavy rain the week before we arrived. They were a nuisance but a temporary one, so don’t be put off by my, or other’s reports on them.

Staff:
I’ve noticed in the last few years that many hotels are really trying to up there game with staff in the Caribbean. I think for many years tourists were a plenty and hotels never really worried too much about staff. As long as they did there job then that was ok. Not any more, not when every hotel is having to fight to gain an ever dwindling tourist population. Now, they do there job but are so much more friendly, efficient, and ultimately – professional. This is testament to better training and management choice in staff. They are clearly chosen on personality. I’m happy to say it’s working as I found all the staff here very professional. Even the gardeners, hotel pool cleaners, cleaners greeted you with a cheery smile and hello. They also go to great lengths to learn your name which is quite an achievement considering how short a time people stay.

Beaches:
If I say I was disappointed in the beaches I would be being insincere, because I knew the beaches were not the main attraction here, so no surprise. However, if you come here expecting a long bay with a long sandy beach you WILL be disappointed. There are 3 small beaches within the bay here, the longest took me 30 seconds to walk end to end. So they are really small but never bothered me because the hotel has another little secret up its sleeve.

Busy or not busy?
This little secret is the way the tourists are spread throughout the property. Even though the beaches are very small you always had room on them to sit in a lounger. This was because the hotel had 3 main pools dotted around and numerous little cut outs in various areas where more loungers were placed. Allied to this the Cove Suites were separate from the main hotel, and they had there own pools and loungers. With the property sitting on 17 acres it meant people were very spread about. The hotel was quite busy during our stay, but you always were able to sit where you wanted to without having to lie next to someone you’d rather not!

Mosquitoes:
Why have I got a separate heading for this? Simple, because the little buggers eat me alive everywhere I go. But I was never bothered by them here which was a minor miracle. I had 6 bites on me at the end of my stay. I took my normal precautions but 6 bites is a daily occurrence most of the time in the Caribbean, so 6 in total was like manna from heaven! Sand flies were never an issue because of the small beaches.
One of the managers told me that some of the planting of certain flowers was done to help repel mosquitoes. Along with regular smoking of foliage I’m delighted to say their methods are working.

Niggles:
So far my review has been rightly enthusiastic, but nothing’s ever perfect so to be absolutely objective I have to express one or two niggles. Here goes!
The chairs in the Cove Restaurant were uncomfortable, as was the design of the tables. On occasion service was slow, true to Caribbean form, but this was rare. I would have liked service to come to me around the main pool/beach areas, but facilities were nearby so perhaps I’m being fussy. Service in the main pool bar was very hit and miss, sometimes someone was there, sometimes not. In fact this was a main gripe for many and must be improved upon. On one occasion, when I went to the indoor main bar to ask 4 staff members (who were chatting about their shift) I was met with disdain. A tourist had interrupted them! They couldn’t have been less helpful. But after a few minutes someone deigned to come over. This was the only incident I had where things were not up to scratch so it hardly bears mentioning. I do so more for any Blue Waters hotel mangers reading this review.

Conclusion:
So there it is, my (hopefully) definitive review of the hotel. As you can see you’re in for a treat if you go. It’s very relaxing, with great staff, great food, great grounds and facilities and you will have re-charged your batteries at the end. My niggles are just that – niggles. Nothing serious occurred which may have put a dampener on the holiday. And that’s very rare these days.
Antigua is a fabulous island, and this resort is a credit to it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Teamtango
BWTeam, General Manager at Blue Waters Antigua, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank for taking the time to write such an in depth and positive review, we hope to welcome you back to Blue Waters soon!

The Blue Waters Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

From the moment we arrived we felt welcome. We were greeted with a fruit cocktail and everyone was really friendly and helpful. Our rooms were lovely with a seaview. The food was delicious too. The staff couldnt do enough for us and even knew our names after the first few days. If we were by the pool for any length of time we were brought cold flannels, small pots of sorbet or pieces of fruit. A really relaxing luxury holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jules1509
BWTeam, General Manager at Blue Waters Antigua, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be so helpful.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back to Blue Waters soon!

Kind regards,

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Twenty five years ago, we spent our honeymoon at the Blue Waters Hotel, so thought it would be a lovely idea to return there to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary. Could this be as good the second time around, as we had such good memories (although somewhat distant!) of our last visit.

From the moment we arrived we knew the hotel had gone from strength to strength and was a top rated resort. The welcome we received was second to none and were personally greeted by the General Manager and his team, offering cold towels and a Rum Punch before we had even checked in.

We were given an upgrade to our room, due to the special occasion and a complimentary bottle of champagne was waiting for us in our lovely room, which had a very good and comfortable sized balcony, overlooking the pool and beach.

October is a good time to visit the Blue Waters, as it is out of season, but still with lovely weather and you have the benefit of uncrowded pools and beaches.

All the staff were amazingly friendly and helpful and knew our names from day one - a lovely touch.

The hotel had a mixture of honeymooners and those seeking peace, quiet and solitude, with a blend of local entertainment, excellent food and service.

We will return - but wont be leaving it quite so long next time!

Room Tip: First floor rooms (top) are best for views and privacy.
1 Thank Amanda W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review and for deciding to return to Blue Waters to celebrate your Silver Wedding Anniversary.

We're delighted we were able to assist in making your anniversary so memorable and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

With kind regards,

Worcester Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just returned from a week at Blue Waters. Had a wonderful time despite continuous rain on the first two days. The hotel and food are excellent but the real pleasure is provided by the members of staff who are all helpful and courteous and the most friendly we have encountered. We have never received a leaving kiss by a member of Reception before. Lovely beaches and swimming pools and no problem with sunbeds. Can't wait to return and recommend this hotel to anyone considering a holiday in Antigua.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RobertH180
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and are pleased to hear that you are considering return to Blue Waters.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back to Antigua very soon,

Kind regards,

toronto
Reviewed October 23, 2012

It is one year ago the my husband and I traveled to Blue Waters for our honeymoon. I cannot begin to express how pleased we were with our holiday. Right from the minute we arrived we were welcomed warmly. We stayed in the cove suites with views that are beyond spectacular. The private pool was a welcomed escape after a day on the beach. The food was scrumptious and we were never left hungry. The owner of the resort was also there and the renovations to the grounds showed how much they value and want to keep the integrity of the property. The couples massage received beach side was simply wonderful. We put our name to win a free stay and we pray everyday for that wish to come true. Don't hesitate to vacation here if you want a peaceful vacation,

2 Thank hanavix
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, we're delighted you chose to spend your honeymoon at Blue Waters.and were particularly pleased to hear you enjoyed staying in the cove suites.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back for your first anniversary!

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

What makes this hotel are the staff, who for the most part are always bright and welcoming. The food is good, plenty and of a high quality. Only downside was the constant "Muzak" in the background
It was on a loop - great if you like seventies soul and reggae - but it went on and on! Despite a few dodgy days and an indifferent day trip it was a good holiday and we would return

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank chall85496
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we're delighted to hear you plan on returning and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kindest Regards,

warrington
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at Blue Waters at the beginning of October 2013 as they reopened after the refurb in September. They have re-done the main restaurant which is now really bright and airy and more modern. We had a lovely beachfront room - block 1 is nearest, they are more seaview rooms than beachfront as you cant walk straight out into the sea/beach. The staff at the hotel are amazing, all speak to you when you walk round and are happy to help if you need anything. The food was great - especially the Cove restaurant. I must say the sun loungers at the smaller pool by the Palm restaurant are the best I have ever encountered - huge squashy matresses which feel like you are lying in bed.
Tip - ask for a strawberry and banana smoothie at the pool bar - they were delicious!

Room Tip: Block 1 is nearest to the sea
2 Thank carla1979
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, we're delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and of course serving you another delicious strawberry and banana smoothie!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Blue Waters Antigua? Share your experiences!