“A surprise”
Review of Trade Winds Hotel

Trade Winds Hotel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Drawing up outside my first reaction, was what have our employers sent us to now!! However once inside the complex, my opinion changed. We were given room 12 which was large with a huge comfortable bed, a sofa, and fridge etc.From the balcony, which had a table and chairs, one could look down on Dickenson Bay, a lovely view. The gardens were well kept and the outside staff were lovely and helpful with the luggage etc. My only complaint was the restaurant, does one really have to wait so long after placing ones order.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank janetG2239JY
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that service at our restaurant was below your expectation, we will surely share your feedback with our team so that our services can be paced appropriately.

Thank you again for choosing the Trade Winds Hotel & Bay House Restaurant and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Happy Travels

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was in Trade Winds three times between January and February.
Some of the stuff members are nice, maybe one or two people only. The rest are a scam, especially at the reception. Most of them very proud and arrogant.

The gardeners and security members where very nice and often I spend half an hour chatting with them, especially with a chap from Guayana.

Antigua lives of tourism and unfortunately some members of the staff do not know how lucky they are to live in such beautiful place and have guests with big wallets, a job close home. I work at 10k miles from home!!

At first impression staff is very nice but then when I had problems most of stuff members were not sorry at all. For example when the toilet it did not work, I wanted to change room and the receptionist looked at me strange. She asked me to wait for the morning.

Excuse me?? Where do I go for the human basics needs????
Is this an hotel or a shelter?

I paid almost 200 USD dollars a day. You cannot treat a customer like that. You do not make favours to people, we are customers, we pay and you have to always try your best.

Once I was sick with the stomach so I went to the restaurant to ask for room service, to ask in person to have something different from what's on the menu. I explained to the waitress the reason and I looked so pale she could see I was sick.

On the menu there are veggies with oil, I asked to have them steamed or boiled, no seasoning, no oil, nothing. She said ok.

Went to the room, to the bed, as I was sick, and they brought me the exact same plate that was in the menu. I know because a few days earlier I had this meal.

Anytime I asked for a variation of a meal, they said ok but then the food was the same as per standard. When I tried to explain that it was different than what I asked they looked at me like I was a pain in the ...

I do not ask the moon, I just ask something I need or I wish. Nothing crazy.
The minimum I expect after forking 180 USD a day would be a sort of flexibility when needed, understanding that people need to go to toilet, or boiled veggies, which are the easiest thing to cook in the world!

I hope something will change. Caribbean are so beautiful but tourism is down. If all hotels have this issues I do not blame tourists for changing locations where spend the holidays.
It is very expensive to come on Holiday to the Caribbean and customer service should be excellent for this money, it doesn't matter that the weather is amazing.

There is competition from other countries, you must provide better service.

Room Tip: Fifties have great view but mezzanine, if you do not like stairs take the first block (40s)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank FredSax

Thank you for your candid review of your stay at our hotel.

We are very sorry that your stay and experience with us was uncomfortable and we are currently investigating all the issues you mentioned.

Safe travels.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were staying in Trade Winds for several weeks due to business. Have to say the view was amazing! But nothing more. We had a lot of issues with the room and especially with service in the hotel. It is just unbelievable how bad I was treated by reception with no respect , never apologies for their all the time going mistakes. Yet they just laugh in my face as it was the pleasure for them. I asked for the manager but suddenly everybody was busy with the phones etc. I spent 30 days with nerves , paid a lot of money and one I learnt in Trade Winds people don't know the word " sorry" !!!!
While in the restaurant it s yet another story.......
Order the lunch...wait half an hour they take the order , another hour to get the food and then half an hour for the bill.... is this normal? Yet meanwhile you don't get what you order .
Once we ordered the fish fingers, after long waiting they arrived - BLACK ! we said to waitress they were burnt , she said -no , they are ok! after almost argument she took them back without sorry again.....The waiting staff was really not polite , often rude.
Rooms were very basic, but ok. We had a lot of issues though with bathroom . Water licking from toilet on floor plus another problems.
Housekeepers nice but it's difficult to call it cleaning what they do. They never change bedlinen , wash floors - very, very poor.
At least garden was kept nice.
So overall it is a huge disappointment as we are travelling every month and stay in many hotels , Trade Winds it 's not the place I would suggest. However the view is great but the staff needs to learn really a lot !

Room Tip: Get the room with sea view even if you have to pay more you will not regret!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your candid review of your stay at our hotel.

We are sorry to hear that stay with us was uncomfortable and filled with unpleasantness. Our Management Team is currently investigating your complaints.

Again we are sorry.

Best of luck in your travels.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Where do we begin to describe how enjoyable our experience was at this wonderful eden? This hotel was used as the venu for our annual business conference this year.

The ammenities were more than sufficient, the staff were the ideal group of persons who dedicate themselves to superb customer service! Service with a smile and then some! The picturesque view from this hotel was definitely a joy to see everyday, overlooking the beautiful turquoise waters of Dickenson Bay.

Wide range of delicious meals to satisfy your appetite and refreshing beverages all served in a lush, cool, inviting environment.

Our group was afforded the "maiden voyage" of their newest conference room. Fully equipped with a state of the art smartv, this proved to be the perfect tool for presenting and video chatting with business partners! Great sound system, spacious and ideal to host any business workshop or social gatherings.

We were incredibly blown away by the quality service, flexibility and care we recieved from all personnel at the hotel.

This is the place to be!...We look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Aaron C
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful and positive review.

It was indeed a pleasure hosting your team and conference attendees and we are thrilled to hear of your business conference success. We are also very pleased to hear that our new conference facilities met all your requirements.

The team here at Trade Winds Hotel & Bay House will continue to provide the best customer service and guests support to ensure our guests' comfort.

Again thank you for choosing Trade Winds Hotel and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed in a Junior Suite for 3 nights in mid-March 2013. While the staff was very helpful and nice, the room (Room 4) had issue after issue. We had hot water problems all 3 days we were there. The toilet didn't work one day and the light in the bathroom didn't work for 2 days. The maintenance staff was very helpful and did their best but the hotel is old and is need of a remodeling. In addition, the internet is terribly slow when you stay in a room farther from the lobby area. They did provide us 1 free dinner at the restaurant as compensation for the issues. Overall, I wish I had stayed elsewhere and would recommend you stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the lobby area because the wireless internet will work better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed in a junior suite room, amazing views over Dickenson Bay from the balcony. Room very spacious, slightly tired decor and fridge noisy, but very clean.
Staff were really helpful and cheerful, couldn't do enough for me.
Free wifi and printing, good speeds
Restaurant and bar has same amazing views and food good standard.
Very relaxing environment would stay again
Walk down to the beach fine, a little harder on the way up the hill, but really not far

Room Tip: Ask for an even number room as these are on the second floor and have uninterrupted views over the o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel and we are happy to hear that your stay with us was comfortable and relaxing.

See you again soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We booked a table for dinner for 4 people we were seated at a very nice table and the order was taken. 2 red snappers catch of the day 1 steak dish and one vegetarian. After 1hour the food arrived at that point we were told there was only one red snapper and would we like to order something different, we asked why we had not been informed after the order was placed 1 hour ago. No satisfactory explanation was given, so I elected not to place a further order, but was offered a desert which we declined. The red snapper that was served was on a bed of cold mash potato which in turn made the snapper cold. The sauce with the steak dish was cold and the vegetarian dish was cold. After this disappointment we spoke with the supervisor who said she would adjust the bill to reflect our dissatisfaction, so on checking the bill we found that it was a bill for four showing the red snapper that had not arrived, adding insult to injury.
We have visited Antigua 5 times and this is the worst meal ever. Don't let it put you off of Antigua!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
#4 of 16 in St. John's
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort

Been to Trade Winds Hotel? Share your experiences!