“Total chill out time”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Frome, United Kingdom
“Total chill out time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

After a long wait at passport control and the scramble outside, a nice touch at the Virgin desk was a bottle of water.
Arrival was dealt with in a friendly informative way. Shown to our room and how things worked, A/C and patio doors etc. A/C was good and quiet in our suite.
We had a 3rd floor (top floor) suite very spacious, sitting room, kitchenette, bathroom and large bedroom. All kept very clean daily. Good view from both balconies, both had chairs. Watched the cruise liners come in am and leave pm. Coffee machine and ground coffee bags, tea bags and if you need real milk you can I believe get this from bar or restaurant. Once you have purchased bottled water in the reception shop you can get bottle filled up at bar for your kettle.
Frenchie greeted us by the pool and gently introduced himself, let us finish our drinks then came back to chat about trips he could offer. We had read about him on Trip Adviser so happy to book with him. All trips went well. The Day Trip was very good and we felt as though we knew far more history about the island but not in a heavy way. We covered the whole island easily in a day and lunch at a local restaurant was included and very good. Tour guide was called Shelton (Shelly).
The hotel might be described as rustic, but in a comfortable way. The staff were helpful and friendly and attentive.
If it is very windy speak to reception and they will call the hotel nearby and you can go through the grounds to Deep Bay, which is amazingly sheltered and quiet. It's a well worth walk.
The shuttle trip to St Johns is good too. Leaves 9am and then leaves St Johns 12 noon to return for an afternoon on the beach.
Mosquito and sand flies were present, take precautions, especially at night.
Lots of birds to watch, amazing hummingbirds.
All wine was drinkable! Rosé I buy in Sainsburys!
My only dissapointment? Black pineapples aren't really black!
I would go and stay again it was very relaxing and friendly, I would say couples only, not necessary to be over 60yrs...... We're not and had a lovely time.

Room Tip: Top floor for a good view, ground floor if you want to be near the beach more.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SunSeeSand_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We visited for one day while on a cruise. Beautiful, relaxing, quiet place. Beach was perfect, secluded, water warm and calm the day we visited. Not a 5 star place but staffed by friendly people who make the difference. Lunch was great! Loved Coconut Beach, hope to return for a longer stay one day :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank nursenancy03
Sechelt, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned from 5 nights at CBC and really enjoyed it. The property is older but well-cared for, very clean and when we did have one small maintenance issue, it was addressed immediately. We had a ground floor junior suite and it was great to be able to access it frequently during the day, or sit in the shade on our deck chairs - we didn't find privacy to be an issue as we were really only in our rooms at night and had the curtains drawn. Rooms are very spacious with all the basic necessities including a small fridge that was handy for keeping bottled water cold, beds are comfortable. The beach area is small, but adequate for the number of guests - we never had trouble getting beach chairs or a palapa. It's not that dreamy white sand though - a bit more gritty and beige. We swam in the ocean and the pool - both delightful although the ocean was a bit rough so I don't know if it's ever clear - it was pretty murky while we were there. Guests are typically over 60, about 90% English, with a few Americans making up the rest (and us, the lone Canadian couple as far as I could tell) - many are returning guests and know the staff and each other. Food is adequate - the basics are covered and done in a "homey" fashion - we had no complaints but did not get excited about any of it. The staff is exceptional - friendly, responsive and always available. WIFI is excellent and works well in the public areas. We are pretty low key but if you need any level of excitement, be prepared to go off resort. This is a great place to make home base, rent a car and see the island. We were ready to go after 5 days - it was very nice, but by then we were getting a bit restless - it's quiet to the point of stillness sometimes! I would recommend this place to people who are low maintenance, self-entertaining and looking for some serious downtime.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms make for easy access to the beach, and not having to haul your luggage up and dow...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JulieCVancouver
Redditch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is my third visit to Antigua my first to this hotel .I would not visit again beach not cleaned in first week then a bit of a clean each the following week breakfast ok no sausages for 8 days lunches ok dinner well lots of times the food was not hot only warm .When in the heat the cups or glasses should be bigger because when loaded with ice you don't get much of a drink .The rooms basic watch out for the sand flys and mossis take plenty of spray and a plug in sprayer with you the room basic and very clean but the outside is looking tired .The manageress moved us from a first floor to a ground floor room she was very helpfull .To conclude i feel it is understaffed and run on a tight budget ie the sun beds are old and need replacing and a lick of paint all round would help.

Room Tip: try and get a ground floor room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank johnsutton3
west country
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have put off reviewing this hotel as I had very mixed feelings when thinking of how to put my thoughts into words.
We stayed from 24/12/12 - 3/01/13 and all round had a great time, due to friendliness of staff and guests alike.
We arrived late on Christmas Eve and the restaurant kept open for us, which was very good of them. What we saw of the building on our ascent to the third floor room we had requested was very pleasant and the gardens looked extremely well kept (this was of course in the dark and we were very tired). Our room was also better than we had expected (as lots of reports called the rooms "tired") reasonably large with a good sized bathroom and plenty of space to hang our clothes and enough drawers to easily get everything in.

Waking up Christmas day and having a coffee on the balcony so close to the sea was really nice and the first cruise ship that peeped round the edge of the cove had a dolphins eye painted on the hull, which made a great photo.

After breakfast we had a look around the resort and formed the impression that it was a resort of two halfs and had been right about the "first impression" side of the hotel, everything was clean and tidy with reception, lounge and dining area well designed and simply furnished. The gardens were indeed beautiful and throughout our stay had people working on them. The front of the hotel was well maintained and painted white, this is the way to all the rooms, but once you got round to the back of the building it looks really scruffy. All it would take to make it as smart as the front is a lick of paint to the wooden balconies and patio areas. Although the sand comes right up to the ground floor patios the strip between the patios and the actual beach could be tidied up considerably. The other problem on this side of the hotel is the disgusting air conditioning units and rubbish between the rooms. The hotel is refurbishing the rooms gradually and I understand this will be addressed as the old air con units are replaced.

The room that we had has still to be refurbished but was perfectly acceptable and was kept exceptionally clean. The air con was extremely noisy and when on the room was like a cold store so at night we only had the ceiling fan on BUT Nicole, the manager, came up to see us on our third day and showed us the fixed screen on the patio door which had an insect screen on it. It had to be repaired as it was loose on one side but this was done immediately and for the rest of our holiday we slept with the breeze coming in. On passing this info on to other guests it would appear that not all rooms had this net fitted.

The food was good and plentiful at breakfast and lunch but although the evening meals, waiter service, were of good quality they were pitifully small.

I would agree with other comments regarding the pool and it's proximity to the bar and more could be done to make this area more attractive.

Would I go again, no I don't think so, I Iike the sun and with the beach facing almost north I found that I had to keep moving my sun bed to get out of the shade, on that subject the sunbeds definately need renewing. However for a 3* it is very good value and once fully refurbished and the balconies tidied up it is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms offer the best views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WestCountryJojo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Rooms: for three people the room was amazing. We stayed on the third floor. We had two balconies and a huge bedroom. The living room was a great size and doubles as an extra bedroom with a pull out bed. We have a kitchenette with a fridge stove top and cupboards. We even had a dining room table with a view of the bar. All rooms are ocean view with hammocks. I haven't been that rested in awhile than the day I spent lounging in the hammock. The bathroom was nice too. The only con would be the shower was either too hot or too cold. But that's not a big deal. There were a few dead bugs behind our bed. I guess that's normal if the screen doors left open or etc.

Beach: the beach was kind of tiny and the water was really choppy. When the tide came in we did not have much beach left. The sand flies will eat you so be sure to bring bug spray with DEET. Also if you can get a hold of citronella wipes or oil bring that. You can shower with the oil and will keep the bugs away all day. Same goes for the wipes. Make sure you bring extra bug spray though because the hotel does over charge. Back to the beaches. There was a beautiful beach in the hotel next to CBC about a 10-15 min walk in the grand royal Antiguan. The beach is called deep bay. It is beautiful ! There is ruins on the end of the beach you can climb and see too. However they will not let you use their beach chairs so bring extra beach towels. The sea at deep bay is calm and the sea shells are beautiful. You can even get a couch shell from the small island next to the site of the ruins. There is also another beach hawksbill a 5-10 mins taxi ride costing only $10 US. That is by far my favorite beach. The water was so warm and relaxing. Hardly any waves at all. Very calm sea at hawksbill. It is also the closest beach to go see the sun set. It's a secluded beach. Mostly locals go to it. It's a must see. It's beautiful. Fryers beach was another hidden gem. I am not sure of it's distance as we reached it by the catamaran. If you can go to fryers beach definitely do. The waves are subtitle but still present. Overall great beach. I've heard that half moon was one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I did not get a chance to go but it was highly recommended.

Staff: AMAZING. There is very little the staff will say no too. They make you feel right at home. Jahilda is the best. She is so funny and down to earth. Ask for her drinks. The coconut crush or any of her signature drinks. You can also ask her to surprise you and she mixes delicious cocktails together. Samantha was great as well. She is a hard worker and will accommodate you any way she can.
Cotton he's soo funny and friendly.
Brent. Makes the best piña coladas and is amazing. He gave me a bottle of rum at the end of the night. He's so friendly too. Bashai is the kitchen staff. We went out with him a few nights. Another very friendly hard worker. He got me rum from the distillery as a gift ! Anaya is the receptionist she is absolutely helpful and friendly. And if you need to use the phone to call home she will let you. (No phone tv or internet in room and resort just near restaurant and lounge area. ) The entire staff was amazing and made you feel like family. I will go back just for them.

Food: IMPECCABLE. If you are allergic or dislike something they will accommodate you. There is also sub items on the menu you can get which are 25.00 US. Very worth it. The filet migion was the best I have ever eaten. That is a must try. Every single thing was delicious. I suffer from IBS and chrons disease and everything I ate sat well with me. I did not have to take any of my pills. The best soup was the potatoe and squash soup. I couldn't get enough. Small portions and no snacks so stock up at the local grocery store.

Adventures: we did the catamaran adventure thru Frency who was In charge of all the activities. It was such fun. I fell in love with the island on that day. We stopped at cades reef snorkeled and even saw a ship wreck ! Than we went to fryers beach for a beach BBQ. The best BBQ I've ever eaten. Drinks are served on the catamaran as well. We went with widali cats. The crew was amazing. Solomon Bryan Kevin Pierce and many Others. We also did sting ray city. A must do ! We went horseback riding too. Just the three of us and the guide. We went all around the town and onto hawksbill beach. It was amazing. Frency will accommodate any activity need you have.

It was an amazing stay. I will go back in a heartbeat. We met amazing people from around the world who we still keep in contact with. You will have a phenomenal time ! Enjoy your vacation.

Brook L

• Stayed January 2013
10 Thank Blov17
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Antigua on January 12, 2013, and stayed at the Coconut Beach Club for one glorious week. Upon landing in Antigua, we made our way through Immigration without much of a problem, although the line was very long. We caught our pre-arranged shuttle to the resort and were thrilled to find no line waiting to check in. We were the only ones checking in and check-in literally took five minutes. It was th easiet checkin we have had on any Caribbean vacation. It was efficent, friendly and drama-free. A bellman took our bags to our wonderful ground floor room (Room 108) which was lovely. The room itself had two double beds which were fairly comfortable, a dining room table, fridge, sofa and chairs. The bathroom was nice and the air conditioning worked efficiently and was very quiet. Our patio was approximately 40 feet from the sandy beach and had two chairs and a hammock. You could actually hear the water all day and night. It was lovely.

Upon arriving at the resort we were anxious to find a TV so we could watch our beloved Baltimore Ravens play the Broncos for the Division championship. We were happy to find a nice TV Lounge right at the resort which had 3 comfortable sofas and a few chairs and it was a delightful place to watch the game. We made our dinner reservations for 8:30 figuring the game would be over. Well, 8:30 came and went and the game went into two overtimes. We could not believe it when the waitress at the dining room offered to serve our dinner in the Lounge so that we would not miss the very exciting game. That one act of kindness was the beginning of a week of the best service I have EVER received at a resort. The dinner was lovely, the Ravens won, and we knew this was the beginning of a very special vacation.
I will try to outline in detail the amenities at the resort and include some tips.

1) The room. We requested a ground floor room which led right to the beach. I'm so glad we did. All the rooms face the water, so you can't go wrong with any of them, but I really liked the convenience of walking right out of our room to the beach. The upper floors afford great views, too. So, you can't go wrong either way. Also, the room included a safe which gave extra security for your personal belongings.

2) The beach. There is a grassy area between the room and the beach which is maybe 30 or 40 feet wide. The beach is very nice and quiet. Never an issue getting a beach chair. There were plenty. We were there in January and the surf was rough and a lot of times it came all the way up to the end of the beach, so you couldn't always sit right on the beach. But the grassy area sufficed very well on those days. The water was great, albeit a little rough.

3) Food. Absolutely outstanding. Every other resort I have stayed at which was all-inclusive we tended to overeat and feel miserable from it, not to mention have stomach issues. Not the case here. Breakfast was usually about the same food; scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, cereals, danishes, fruit, etc. It was delicious and fresh everyday and we enjoyed it. Lunch was also a buffet. There were usually 2 or 3 entrees to choose from as well as a host of salads. Again, everything tasted great. Dinner was a fabulous experience. It was a different menu every night and you choose between 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and then a dessert. The portions were not huge, but were definitely adequate. I never felt hungry afterwards. The quality of the dinner food was first rate. The soups were always good, too. Don't hesitate to try them; you won't be disappointed. I would note that there is a dress code for dinner. Men need to wear long pants and collared shirts. Jeans are okay as long as they are nice looking. No flip flops allowed. Women can wear a casual outfit all the way up to gowns. It really varied, but you don't need to feel like you have to glam up every night. The service was top notch. Samantha and Tanza were especially good. Samantha was the one that took care of us that first night during the football game. Exceptional service from everyone. Bernadette took wonderful care of us at breakfast and Brent was also very nice.

4) Pool. They have a nice infinity pool which is beautiful, but I will say it was very cold. It was in a lovely setting though.

5) Internet Access: This was a very nice surprise. You didn't have to pay extra for it. That is the first time we have experienced free Wifi on any of our trips. The connection was at times a little slow for Skype, but we did manage to Skype twice during the week. Emailing and surfing was never a problem. So, bring your computer if you want to email, etc. There is also a computer that you can use on the site. There is only one though and you might have to wait for it.

6) Gift Shop. There is one on site. It had nice things in it, but it was a little on the expensive side.

7) The guests on the resort. Most of the crowd were Britsh and they were fun-loving, polite and friendly. I would say the average age was probably around 50-ish. There were a few younger couples, but mostly older. A lot of the people were there for two or three weeks. Wish we could have stayed another week!

8) Bars. Well stocked, great drinks. Brent is the best! Pina coladas were out of this world. We never had to wait long for a drink at all.

9) Side trips. We took a jeep tour with Shelley which was nice. We saw the stadium, Nelson's dockyard and the highlight for me was the views from Shirley's Heights. Probably one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. We also took the ferry to Montserrat for a day trip. You get to the pier at 7;30 a.m.and you get back at 6 p.m. I would definitely recommend this trip. We saw the volcano which was AWESOME and we loved the experience of being on the island (which only has 4900 people living on it!). Book this tour with Jenny's Tours and ask for Winston to be your guide. He was awesome!

Recommendations:
1) Bring bug spray. You will need it, especially at night.
2) Use plenty of screen. The sun will punish you.
3) Check out the beautiful jewelry of the lady who visits the resort.
4) Check out the cruise ships coming in at about 7 a.m. and leaving at about 6 p.m. We even say the Queen Elizabeth II cruise ship.
5) Frenchie Alexander will help you with excursions. He is by the pool every morning. i told him I had read about him on Trip Advisor and he gave me a bottle of very nice champagne!
6) Fort Barrington is a short walk, maybe ten minutes, from the resort. My husband went to the top and was impressed with the great views.
7) Deep Bay is located about ten minutes away on foot and is a nice, calm beach that you can visit if the water is rough at the resort. It is located a the adjacent hotel which was empty when we went and visited it.

NOTE: If you are looking for a vacation of total chill-out, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a lot of entertainment and activities, this is probably not the place for you. They do have a cocktail party on Thursday nights which was very nice. There was also a steel band performance on Sunday evening as well.

All in all, we loved this resort and would whole-heartedly recommend it. We will definitely return. One thing that was interesting. . . the employees at this resort had been there for several years; I'm talking seven or eight years. It seems that they are also treated well and happy. I can't emphasize enough how good the service is and what a difference it makes. I think our days of going to the mega resorts are over! Thank you to all of the amazing staff at Coconut Beach Club.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,227 reviews
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts

Been to Coconut Beach Club? Share your experiences!