“Great atmosphere, great service”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Fort Lee, New Jersey
“Great atmosphere, great service”
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Our trip to Sandals in Antigua was great. It was our honeymoon and we booked in the new section of the resort, the Sandals Grande Antigua. From the second you arrive, with the cold rag and champagne service to being brought to your room and a brief tour of the resort, the first impression is definitely a lasting impression. The grounds, pool, beach and restaurants were all beautiful. The staff was as nice and friendly as could be and the service was great. Since there was still some construction going on during our trip because they are finishing the rest of the resort, Sandals went above and beyond to make our stay memorable and compensated us for future stays without us even having to ask! That is a company that will continually not only stand out in my mind, but will receive my business whenever I travel to the islands that their resorts are in. I would like to personally thank Leighton, who was one of the concierge managers who was phenominal throughout our entire trip and is just a great person to have dealt with on the best trip that I've ever taken. Keep up the good work! Thank you.

• Liked — The pool and the view
  • Disliked — The pizza place
4 Thank traf102

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,748)
  • Polish first
Tennessee
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We were so disappointed with this hotel. It is nothing like what it looks like on the internet. We knew that they had just built a new area but were told it was finished and would not affect our trip. Well, wrong!!! It was right outside our door. Here are just a few things I wrote to them:

our room was less than 10 feet from new construction - jackhammering outside window at 7:30 am - could not move us first night - moved us second night - better but noise from cricketts or something kept us up (hotel should at least provide ear plugs) - could not get in to new restaurant for lunch but did get pizza from there - new pool was only open one day - could not get reservations at Kimonos - only 6 spots for non butler rooms and would not take all 6 of us at all, even after complaining to front desk - people at front desk gave us the run around the whole time and even lied, etc. etc. etc.

I think the most disappointing part is that the people in charge either lied or gave you the runaround instead of trying to make you happy. It was like nothing I had ever seen. I DO NOT recommend any Sandals resort at this point! Tried two locations and NEVER again!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
7 Thank kristibakerbrown
NYC
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We chose Sandals Antigua despit the negative reviews because of the location, weather, wedding ceremony site, etc. We had booked our room 1 year in advance in the Carrribean village for ambience. When we checked in at the airport they shuttled us to our suprise to the Mediterranean Village. It was still under construction! We decided to wait until we were shown the room that we were being offered. The room was gorgeous! The construction did not obstruct our ovean view. We did hear some banging now and then but being from New York City it did not phase us not one bit. To top it off, for our inconvenience we were offered a complimentary stay at any Sandals or Beaches to use within the next year! What a wonderful wedding gift. Thank you Sandals! The staff was very friendly, the food was quite good, the grounds were keep very nicely. The wedding coordinators were wonderful, especially Candice the intern. The staff at the Spa and staff were wonderful. Although I would recommend that Sandals equip the Salon more adequately. These women are forced to do pedicures in a basin placed on the floor where they need to constantly bend and crouch....it isn't very comfortable for the guests either.

10 Thank MrsRNyc
Maryland
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Sandals Grand Antigua Resort and Spa was a wonderful place for our honeymoon. Although the new section of the resort was not completely done being built and all the restaurants were not up and running, the workers at the resort made it all worth while. Customer service is at the top of their priorities, and although I thought not having everything I dreamed of in my honeymoon, in the end all was good.
The beach was wonderful and the butler we had was always there when we wanted him. This vacation was so relaxing and we plan to go to Sandals Grande St. Lucia in June!

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank TaylorChege
Hartford, Ct
Reviewed July 31, 2007

I knew going into our honeymoon that the resort was not finished... my travel agent did tell me that there was a few places that were not open yet... which was fine... we realized that and were prepared for it when we got there. Yes, there is construction going on; all day, and not everything is how it looks in the magazine... but everyone was super nice and did what they could to make us happy. The pool bar was our favorite, but was not totally thrilled about the drinks... I couldnt find the one bartender who really knew how to make a good drink.
I read a lot of reviews on the resort before we left and was so nervous it was going to be as bad as people made it out to be... it was not. I guess in my opinion, we were on our honeymoon and we were not going to let a lot spoil it. We had such a great time and have already booked our anniversary trip for next July at the same resort.

• Liked — The pool bar!
3 Thank Hartford2007
Jefferson
Reviewed July 31, 2007

I stayed in the new section of the Sandals Grande Antigua and had a great time. After reading reviews from other guest I was not sure what I was getting in to.The room was large and beautiful we were in 7314 and the view was to die for it was a beachfront view. They do have some work to do but the week we were there they made alot of progress. There are still a few things they need to work out but I would stay there again in a second. The new pool is opened and is great.The new gift shop also opened while we were there.The service was outstanding,everyone was very friendly. I also thought the food was good and I am a picky eater. Other guest have complain that the food is not like home, if you want food like home then stay home. There was always a wide choice of slections of food. And at the new Marios rest. the chef's were great and always happy. Always had a smile on there faces. I could go on forever, I can not really say anything negative about my stay. If you get to stay at the new section in the next couple of weeks hopefully you will run into Leighton (guest services from another resort) He is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. He did an outstanding job while we were there. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND STAYING HERE.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
9 Thank Sapphire60
Connecticut
Reviewed July 31, 2007

Stayed here for a week in mid July 2007. The back door of our room was directly adjacent ( 10 feet ) from the construction of the new Mediterranean Village complex. There was plenty of activity and loud noise from the construction starting between 7 & 8 in the morning. The noise wasn't bothersome when we weren't in the room and we spent most of the time on the beach. The beach is very nice and the water is very warm and very calm but not as colorful as some I've seen. No problem with bugs but there were a few jellyfish in the water. The grounds of the resort are extremely tropical and very well maintained. The room was nice but certainly not exceptional.
The food was good. No complaints but no raves either. The buffet had something different each night but not a lot of variety each night. We ate at El Palio twice. The first time was very good and the second time we were a little disappointed. We also ate at the OK Corral and enjoyed the barbequed chicken and ribs there. The service at the restaurants was always very good. I can't say the same thing for the bar service. The bar by the beach and the pool bar apparently were training new staff evidently in preparation for opening the Mediterranean Village. Most had no idea how to make any drinks and this made for long delays in getting service or being able to recognize what you were drinking when you finally got it. Also, the beer on tap was always warm.
The Mediterranean Village was in the beginning stages of being opened. They were doing mostly landscaping and finishing sidewalks etc. The pool is huge and the resort will be extraordinary when it is finished.
We have been to Cancun several times and we agree that the experience at Sandals Antigua was not as enjoyable. Will likely not return here or book a vacation at another Sandals resort. Frankly, you can get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — service
2 Thank ctraveler4397
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,684 reviews

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!