“Slightly above average...”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed November 14, 2006

My wife and I and 3 other couples just returned from Sandals. For what we were looking for, a little something for everyone, it was a good fit but I wouldn't return with just my wife as other resorts just suit us better.

My wife and I arrived from another island on a small plane and because it wasn't a "normal" arrival (ie on American) no one was at the airport kiosk. She arrived in under 5 minutes though so it wasn't too bad (in her defense though we even had to wake up the immigration guy to get into the country!!) We were processed there quickly and the taxi ride to the resort was uneventful.

Check in at the resort was quick and easy. the cold towels and champagne were a nice touch. We were giving a triple upgrade (thanks to whom ever posted to book the lowest category room!) to a honeymoon veranda suite. I asked and was told these rooms bordered the construction area but as we weren't expecting to be in the room much we decided to take it. There IS construction noise and it starts at 7am and ends at 6pm seven days a week. We were always up when it started so it wasn't a problem. If you plan on sleeping in though, this section of the resort is NOT for you. What I did have a problem with though was the main sewer pump for the resort that went off and on all night. I complained but nothing could be done.

The room itself was great. VERY clean, spacious, well furninished, the bathroom was good size and clean as well. The stocked mini bar was a big bonus. In addition to full size bottles of Rum, Vodka, Gin and Scotch it contained beer, wine, Champagne and soft drinks. We called it the magic fridge because anything we took out of it was restocked the next day.

The resort grounds are pretty good---well landscaped and clean. The pools were clean and well placed throughout the resort too. I didn't like the piped in music at the main pool but that's a personal preference.

The beach was just OK----We're fortunate enough to be fairly well travelled in the carribean and this beach doesn't even make our top 10. That's not to say it wasn't nice. It was clean, the sand wasn't rocky and the surf is calm. But you need to swim in a roped off area so you don't get hit by a boat or jet ski and the vendors do start to become a nuisance after a while. I also found it fairly crowded for my taste. You can walk 5-7 minutes to your left down the beach and you escape all the crowds and can have a 1/4 mile beach almost to yourself. Much more what I think the carribean is about.

The breakfast and lunch buffets were really very good but dinner left much to be desired. I was actually impressed with the presentation but the quality of the food was greatly lacking. I ended up sharing most of my dinner with the cats. One thing I found annoying and haven't seen anyone else mention, is that all the restaurants except Kimono's (which was my favorite) surround the central courtyard where the nightly entertainment is. If you want to eat what passes for a romantic meal at Sandals you better time your reservation so you aren't eating while the nighttime entertainment is going on or you won't be able to hear what others at the table are saying.

For the most part I found the staff to be be excellent. We had only one bad waiter but that was more than made up for by some truly fantastic waitresses. The bartenders were friendly and I had no problem with the front desk staff.

The hobie cats, sailboats and other acquatic equipment they offer were top notch--no complaints there. The fitness center was one of the better resort fitness centers I've seen with about 80-90% of the equipment working just fine.

This place is a wedding factory---I'm not exaggerating when I say I saw at least 5 weddings a day and that's only what I happened to see I'm sure there were more. I would never get married like that but again that's a personal preference.

While I did see some older couples, I'd say 75% were under 30 and the resort caters to that crowd. If you're older you may want to explore other options.

Sandals is good at what they do, It's just what they do isn't for me.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
51  Thank plev

Reviewed November 9, 2006

Grant&Linda Oct 28 to Nov 4, 2006

We made it through the customs line quickly, headed for the Sandals desk and boarded an awaiting van. The drive to the resort only takes about half an hour; much of it is inland but, here and there, glimpses of a calm and gloriously blue Caribbean sea heightened our expectation for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday.

Little of the resort is visible from the road, so the first real look is as you enter the grounds to the lobby - certainly a great first impression, spacious, airy, and opening to a beautiful courtyard area with the sapphire sea as backdrop. The resident parrots are resplendent in their multi-coloured feathery coats (their saving grace since the cacophony they emit while squawking can be mind numbing). We were warmly greeted by the friendly and efficient Zoe and toasted our holiday with our flute of welcome bubbly.

This was our first venture into the “non-concierge” Sandal’s world. After weighing all the options and doing a lot of research, we had decided that a premium room would satisfy our basic requirements. We knew these rooms had recently been refurbished, the location seemed good and we had trouble justifying the substantial price difference for concierge in an older and untested property. Since Sandals removed reference to free upgrades from the SSG site, we were surprised when Zoe returned with our amenity packs and cards informing us that we had been upgraded to a grande luxe room.

Within minutes, the porter appeared to escort us to room 615. As we walked toward the room, we were gratified to see lush foliage, room blocks that exuded the Caribbean feel and relaxed atmosphere that we’ve grown to love and expect in a vacation destination. The Oleander block is located in the gardens and is fronted by a small pool/Jacuzzi area that is truly an oasis for couples looking for quiet time away from music and activities. These “quiet” pools are dotted throughout the property and really add to its charm.

615 is an end-of-block, ground floor room and, unlike the upper rooms of the same block, has only the terrace entrance (upper rooms have entrance at the rear with balcony overlooking the grounds). The room was quite spacious, furnished with the four-poster king, armoire, fridge/coffee cabinet, desk, chair and loveseat. At the rear is the closet/vanity area with a separate room for the commode (toilet) and the combined tub & shower. While the furnishings showed mild signs of wear and tear, the room was meticulously clean and, to hazard a guess, recently repainted.

There was only one drawback in our minds (and, bear in mind the following is based solely on personal preferences)…the terrace of this particular room was situated where three paths converged and did not seem conducive to the private time we like to share first thing in the morning and between daytime activities and dining. We learned that a lowest level concierge room was available at additional charge but, knowing that we were tired from our trip, we decided to see how we felt in the morning.

Unpacking was our second priority. First was donning the beach attire conveniently packed in our carry-ons, stopping at the pool bar for the first of many tropical drinks and heading for the beach for our traditional post-travel “cleansing of mind and body” – achieved within minutes of stepping on the soft-sand, sun-bathed beach of Dickenson Bay. While it cannot rival Varadero beach in length or depth, it is spectacular in its own rights with its incredibly calm waters and protective northern cliff. Spending our days here would not be a problem!!!

Our dining choices for this first night were limited so we decided to hit the Bayside for the International buffet night. There was stir-fry, a pasta station, hot and cold stations on offer. We decided on salads followed by roast beef, roast potatoes and mixed vegetables. These were both well-presented and well-prepared. The dessert station offered a wide choice of delectable temptations. After strolling the grounds, we retired to a comfy bed and a restful sleep.

Up bright and early, we decided to explore a little more. The grounds are truly beautiful and well-groomed though the flowering plants are probably not at their fullest glory at this time of year. We took a leisurely morning walk along the beach and found it remarkably un-congested. The lack of “reserved” chaises for those annoying “no-shows or shows-up-after-everything else” was appreciated and out-and-out refreshing.

At this time of year, the weather in Antigua is hot, hot, hot with tons of humidity thrown in. Luckily, relief was within arms reach – either the beach or the numerous pools. Throughout the week we would classify the various skin types as brown, browner, brownest or red, redder, reddest. A word to the wise – bring the appropriate sun-screen. We met one gentleman who actually needed medical care and a full day’s bed rest from his first day exposure to the sun.

We waffled back and forth on the room issue, room’s okay but terrace isn’t. We wanted to recognize their desire to upgrade us. But, in the end, we went to reservations and explained to them that we really appreciated the upgrade, but due to our preferences, it didn’t meet all of our requirements. They informed us that they had nothing else available in the upgraded category. We inquired about the category we initially booked (premium) and they offered to show us a potential the next day.

Well, the room was quite a bit smaller but it was completely refurbished, from tile to bed linens. Plus the terrace offered more privacy and better views. We opted to move and were perfectly happy for the remainder of the week.

Now on to the synopsis:

Resort:

In our opinion, it is overall very well maintained. Oh, if you’re really looking you may find a cracked tile or some fascia that needs replacing. And, if you’re really looking that hard, you may need a vacation from your vacation J.

Rooms:

Make sure you book the category you want. For both Sandals Grande Antigua and the Halcyon St. Lucia we have found the descriptions and 360 degree room photos on the Sandals website to be accurate. We thoroughly enjoyed the premium room…good location…refurbished…nice bathroom layout (if you depend on long, luxurious baths, though, this is probably not the category for you – the tub is quite shallow). A mini-fridge stocked daily with water, soft drinks and juices was a definite plus.

Dining:

Bayside: Excellent breakfast buffet. Lots of choice. Egg station for omelets, eggs cooked to order, a large selection of fresh fruit.

Courtyard Bistro: Standard fast-food fare - Burgers, hotdogs, chips, pizza. Carry out to a courtyard venue. Nothing fancy but a really nice alternative to a lunch buffet.

OK Corral: Offers a bit livelier atmosphere for dining. The staff was energetic. Akim kept assuring us that “we’d be full tonight” and we were. Dishes may taste slightly different from those you enjoy at your favourite TexMex restaurant but that’s what keeps life interesting.

Il Palio: Dined here twice. Both meals were excellent. The antipasto bar offers a good selection. Our first visit, we both ordered the herb-crusted rack of lamb. The memory is mouth-watering. Next experience – the salmon – the superb salmon!!

Theme nights:

Beach Buffet: They started setting up for this in the morning. The overall atmosphere, ambiance, display were excellent and the food quality good. Really amusing was, totally by chance our table was all Canadian.

SSG Dinner: Really enjoyable. Started off with a reception where people were recognized for their return visits. We were due for our gold sandals but when the welcoming staff heard that we had never been presented with our silver set, they went out of their way to get those, too. So, we received both silver and gold…sounds a little like a Christmas song, doesn’t it? The menu consisted of Caribbean Shrimp Cocktail, Mixed Green Salad, Grilled Sirloin Steak and a heavenly-light cheese cake. We felt honoured to be seated at a table with Franklin Eaton, a most gracious host.

Entertainment:

In our opinion and that of a large number of fellow guests, this resort, by far, offers the best evening shows that we’ve experienced at Sandals. Two nights we were enthralled by a band whose female singer was expert at both entertaining and encouraging audience participation (We’re embarrassed that their name escapes our memory).

On November 1st, Independence Day for Antigua, we were treated performances of a guest dancing troupe and in-house talent. And, let us tell you, that in-house talent was amazing!! We enjoyed every moment from the moving rendition of the national anthem through to the performance of a young teenage trainee and some of Akim’s rap. It was such a pleasure to share this experience and to see staff come out for a moment and move to the rhythm.

Staff:

We were extremely pleased to find that we were at odds with some of the reports posted on various sites. We found everyone totally approachable and friendly. Without fail, we were greeted with a “good morning/afternoon” or “How are you today”. Every smile, every effort we made to engage in conversation was repaid in full with interest! Delightful experience.

Beach Vendors:

Yep, they’re there. Some more persistent than others. We may be hearing “my name’s Sunshine, Sunshine Angela” in our dreams, for many nights to come!!

We had the most enjoyable encounters with characters like…Isaac, Wood Daddy (aka Somali). Life is full of opportunities!!

Overall:

Great holiday, great resort.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
76  Thank GraLin2
Reviewed October 22, 2006

My husband and I a got married there in early October. It was amazing. The wedding staff did a great job. My flowers were just wonderful. The ceremony was wonderful and the day was perfect. I could not have asked for anything more. I highly recommend the photos and the DVD you can get of your wedding. They were a little expensive but well worth.
We stayed in the Antherium and the rooms were great. Clean, well kept and very comfortable. We had a well stocked bar. The beer was terrible but we are Coors Light drinkers and they do not carry domestic beer from the states. They make the best tropical drinks. Quite yummy!! I highly recommend the BBC's. Go to the swim up bar and have Latoya mix you something up, she makes the best drinks at the resort. HANDS DOWN!
The food was very good however if you stay more than 7 days you kind of get sick of the same ole food. I do wish they would have switched it up a little.
The entertainment staff was wonderful. We participated in a lot of the daily events. The Newleywed Game, Volleyball, Horseshoe etc..... The night time entertainment left a little to be desired. It seemed like the same stuff everynight. They needed a little more variety.
The Staff is so nice and helpful. We heard people complaining that it was a little disappointing but we thought it was great. I actually miss some of the staff and friends we made while there. They became out family away from home. DO not let the negative comments steer you away. I would be more than happy to answer any questions directly at this resort. I can be reached at michele@mineralsprings.com.
The weather is perfect the beaches are so clean and the pools are so relaxing. I highly recomment a night time swim while there. We did it every night. Look up Kareem while you are there. He will never let you get bored.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
41  Thank MicheleElmer
Reviewed October 21, 2006

We traveled to Sandals Antigua Sept 23rd-30th with our parents and two friends to get married. Like many others have mentioned, I was nervous about the trip because of the negative reviews on this website but I was pleasantly surprised and once we arrived I realized I was worried for nothing.

Sorry for the long review, but I would have liked more details about the wedding in advance so here it is. We chose this location for our wedding because of the location and because it was easier to get married in Antigua than in some of the other countries in the Carribean (no translation needed, no blood tests). Overall we were very pleased with the wedding, but I will say that if you are extremely picky then a Sandals wedding might not be for you. I booked most things over the phone with a Unique Vacations representative prior to arriving (bought a photo package, video, flowers, scheduled hair and manicures) and she was very helpful, even emailed me pictures of other weddings at the resort. When we arrived we had a folder of wedding options to look through in our room as well as an appointment with an onsite wedding coordinator for the next day. At the appointment we chose our location, flowers (choosing from a few pictures of bouquets), and other details of the ceremony such as music and other options. The selection of songs is somewhat limited so if you want anything special then bring it with you on a cd. The day before our wedding we were driven into St. John's with nine other couples to sign papers for our marriage license. This was a bit disorganized as we had to wait about 45 minutes just to sign some papers but other than taking away from our beach time it was no big deal. On the day of the ceremony, we all got our nails done and I had my hair done at the salon by Michelle. She did an amazing job! I took in a picutre of how I wanted it and it looked so much better than I ever expected. The ceremony itself was very nice. We chose the gazebo beside the ocean and it was beautiful. The only things I didn't like were that there were a few people that we didn't know (I assume other guests) watching and taking pictures of us but they weren't intrusive so not a big deal, just strange. Also we didn't know what the ceremony was going to be like beforehand. I kept expecting to meet the marriage officer before the ceremony but it didn't happen. She met with my husband right before to make sure she pronounced our names correctly. She was little difficult for us to understand because of her accent and the ceremony was not what I expected. I thought it would be the traditional vows but it was completely different. The ceremony was beautiful but because we couldn't understand her well, we messed up a few of the words! So, if you aren't writing your own vows then you might want to at least ask to read through them before the ceremony! The flowers were beautiful and the photos came out great. The video was very good too (glad we got it, cause I wouldn't have been able to tell you what my vows were if we hadn't!) The reception afterwards was very nice as well, with hors d'oeurves, champagne, and cake. There was another wedding right after ours at the same location but we didn't really feel rushed.

We did get an automatic upgrade to a junior suite on arrival. Our room was very nice and clean as were the lower class rooms that our family and friends booked. No problems with bugs in the room (except for a few stray mosquitos) and the air conditioner worked great. The bathrooms were very clean as well. We also had a fully stocked mini bar that was refilled every day and if you ask for a special liquor for the minibar they will bring it to your room.

The beach was beautiful but it is a public beach so there are vendors around. We didn't have trouble finding beach chairs, even later in the day. I didn't go snorkeling but my husband and friends did and there were lots of jelly fish. They got stung so we didn't even try to go again. The hobie cat was fun but it was sometimes hard to get the equipment.

Also be sure to bring bug spray! They do fumigate every evening around 5:00 PM which is a little annoying but I'm guessing the bugs would have been worse without it. I saw lots of people with a ton of bites.
I
n my opinion the food was good, not great., about what you'd expect at an all inclusive. There was a lot of variety between all the restaurants. Be sure to make your reservations early! The drinks were good too. Lots of top shelf to choose from.

We bought the Shirley Heights Tour from the hotel and I was disappointed. It is a 30 minute drive from Sandals as it is on the south side of the island so you get to see a lot on the way there. The view was fantastic but it was very cloudy that day and we couldn't even see the sunset. They have a steel drum band and a cookout there which was nice but there isn't much to do and we were ready to leave about 30 minutes after arriving but our tour had us scheduled to stay for 2 hours. It might be worth going if it is a very clear day and if you're really really into steel drum bands! Also the price of the food is outrageous...$10 US for a cheeseburger! My dad went on the deep-sea fishing trip and enjoyed it.

Overall we had a great time. The wedding was beautiful and exactly what we wanted. The resort itself is older but the rooms were very nice and the grounds were beautiful. The staff is not overly friendly but they are nice to you if you are nice to them. A few people went out of their way for us which was much appreciated. I would definitely recommend this resort for a honeymoon, wedding or other special occasion but I think it is a little overpriced if you just want an all inclusive beach vacation.

15  Thank dedepo
Reviewed October 20, 2006

If your going on your honeymoon, please take my advise - DON'T DO IT.

We weren't on our honeymoon and we NEVER complain about holidays but this was the most disappointing holiday we have ever been on. We met a couple from Boston who were mean't to get married there and the place was so bad they cancelled their wedding.
Price - This place was well advertised and as one of the top honeymoon resorts so we felt it was going to be worth spending a bit extra. We went for the Honeymoon Beach Front rondeville with Butler Service and the overall holiday cost us £7800 (Sterling). I was nearly sick when i seen the place as we could have went anywhere in the world for this.

Construction - We were guaranteed by Virgin holidays not to be near any of the this yet all the top rooms are beside the construction which begins at 7am every morning and very loud.

Food - The food was absolutely discusting in the Bayside with Bugs everywhere. The japenese restaurant was ok and the snack bar is poor. If you want good food, go to the coconut cove restaurant which is a walk up the beach.

Room - Our room was actually very nice with the mini bar regularily stocked up, yet our friends were in one of the other honeymoon suites and their mini bar didn't even have alcohol in it and they paid £4600 for their holiday and their room was very poor!

Entertainment - Really boring and very repetitive

Butler Service - This was the only good part of this holiday as Cessle, Desmond and Vanessa (The butlers) were absolutley brilliant and would do anything for you...

Weddings - This place has about 6 weddings per day all in the same place so it wouldn't exactly feel like your special day, and had it been my wedding, i would of been absolutely furious!. We met a couple who got married at the Pineapple beach resort at the other end of the Island who then decided to up their hotel by coming to Sandals (How wrong were they). When they arrived they immediately complained to the manager and got transferered back to Pineapple Beach.

Honestly, if your thinking of booking a holiday to Sandals Antigua, please think again as we were not the only couple who were extremely disappointed....

We are going on are Honeymoon next year and we have learn't from this experience that "The most expensive holiday doesn't mean the best holiday" and quite the opposite in this case!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
24  Thank HarrynSara
Reviewed October 17, 2006

My wife and I returned to Sandals Antigua for the second time the week of Sep. 16 thru the 23rd. This was our third trip to Sandals and as always it was perfect. The only problem was it was not long enough.
Our first visit to Sandals Antigua was four years ago for our honeymoon. This year we renewed our vows. The concierge staff was excellent planning and setting up for the renewal. All the staff was were great to work with. If you treat the staff with the respect they disserve they do the same to you. This even goes for the vendors on the beach. If you kindly say no thank you, they will leave you alone. Maybe I am laid back enough or have worked in retail long enough to know that everyone can have a bad day, even in the Caribbean.
Our room was excellent, we did not have any problems with bugs. We stayed in the 800 block close to the construction. People that were right next to the construction did have complaints about the noise. Work did not start until 8 in the morning. A little less sleep for some is well worth the great addition that is coming.
My wife and I absolutly love Sandals and Sandals Anitgua the most. We are already wishing we were back. We did say the only thing we are going to change the next time we go is to stay longer than one week. We just can't fit everything we want to do in one week. So believe the good reviews Sandals Antigua is a wonderful, wonderful place to vacation.

10  Thank Brent_Higgins
Reviewed October 12, 2006

My wife and I visited this particular Sandals during the week of September 16-23, 2006. As everyone is, we were greeted with champagne and a cold towel. I had read many reviews about being automatically upgraded and just figured that would happen to us. Well it did not and I think our mistake was we didn’t ask to be. I was a little surprised, but our Grand Lux room in the 600 block was wonderful. We had a little mosquito problem at first, but the house keeper took care of it. Make sure and don’t leave food or drinks out in the room b/c tiny ants will find it. Just place the items outside and someone will get them. As you can see from the picture we had a nice view. The room was a nice size, the shower and air worked great. We were very pleased with the room and remember you are not in it that much.

Like everyone says, the beach is the best feature and the weather was great considering September is supposed to be their rainy season. It was 90 + each day and I don’t think we saw a cloud until our 4th day there. Make sure and put no less than 30 block on unless you want to burn. My wife and I tan easily and we still needed it. The vendors are a little more persistent than I had hoped, but the beach is public and they have the right. We purchased a couple of items from Sunshine at the end of the week and she was extremely grateful.

The staff at Sandals are great and they are always ready and willing to help you out with any need you might have. The individuals at the Courtyard Bistro were the only ones that were pretty much rude to you and it catches you off guard b/c everyone else is great. Geraldine is a waitress at the Bayside and she is so sweet. Charmaine is a bartender at the main bar, super nice and accommodating. The playmakers are so much fun to.

The best thing my wife and I did was go into this honeymoon understanding that this resort is the oldest in the Sandals collection and things will be a little outdated or rundown. You will only help yourself by having lower expectations and then being pleasantly surprised. It is what you make of it and it can be an unforgettable honeymoon/wedding/vacation! If you have questions I would be more than willing to answer them and give suggestions on anything pertaining to this Sandals. E-mail: bheckaman@sportsworld.org

~Happy Traveling~

COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!