“Could be better.. (sorry it's so long, but I wanted to you all I could)”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Could be better.. (sorry it's so long, but I wanted to you all I could)”
Reviewed October 9, 2006

I have stayed at various Sandals, and this is not the best - AT THE MOMENT.
We were upgraded to a Concierge room, which on the plus side, had a nice view of one of the pools, but on the minus, was right next to the construction work. We could only see the construction work when going to and from our room, but they did start at 7.30 every morning. We were not bothered by the noise of the diggers, but the loud BEEP BEEP BEEP when the vehicles were reversing certainly woke me up. They work until about 8 p.m.

Our room was large, with plenty of storage, and as it was a concierge room, we had a nice mini bar. It had a bottle of vodka, whisky, red wine and gin (but no rum, which I found unusual). In the fridge we had various soft drinks, white wine, champagne, beer and water. This was replenished regularly. We had robes, an iron and table, and our towels were changed regularly. House keeping really were great. Antigua has no natural water or electricity supply - it all has to be imported, that's why they ask you to conserve it. A large mirror and lamp next to the small hairdryer, and a large, well-lit mirror above the sink if you wanted to apply make-up, etc.

Our room was on the upper floor, so we had no problem with bugs. It overlooked one of the pools, so you did not have to go far to get to the pool. It was a great pool, but there was no pool bar here, and to get fresh towels you had to go to the water sports hut. This pool was shaded in the morning, and not the afternoon - the pool with the swim up bar was the opposite. There were, I think, four pools in total, but they were all quite small.

The hotel at the moment has an over all feeling of smallness - small buffet restaurant, small grounds, small beach. I think once the Mediterranean Village opens, the opposite will be true, but I had the impression from speaking to the management that it will almost operate as two seperate hotels.

We chose not to do any of the organised excursions. I normally like to do an island tour, but it was US$98 each. we made our own way by taxi into town (US$10 each way). One of the cruise ships were in Port, and we were aprroached by a lot of taxi drivers asking if we wanted to go to a nice beach. we were sitting in 'Cheers' bar right next to the port, and a taxi driver approached a group next to us who had obviously booked and island tour with him. he asked if we wanted to join them, and told us he would charge us $20 each (normally US$30). We did, and had a great day. he took us right down to Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, and showed us where Eric Clapton's property is.

The only watersports we did was snorkelling - my husband does not swim, and it was OK for him to come aboard and stay there while we snorkelled. The first area we went to was not clear enough, so we went to another, and were warned there may be jellyfish there. I swam for a few minutes, saw a jellyfish, panicked and got back to the boat as quickly as possible. Everyone was the same - instead of snorkelling for 30 minutes, we only lasted about 5. I think if the staff had explained about the jellyfish before we went in the water, I would not have panicked as much. They don't have eyes or control over their movement, so don't 'go for' you. It's only if you bump into them that they sting.

Restaurants - the Italian was nice, but didn't seem romantic. Kimonos was great - definitely recommend it. OK Corrall - OK, except I was right next to the open flame they use to cook the food, and it was far to hot and sweaty to be comfortable.
If I was getting married here, or it was a special occasion, I would say the only option for a nice romantic meal would be to pay the extra for the private dinner they offer. It is expensive, but we didn't see many people use it. We were in Sandals Grande Ocho Rios in May, and it seemed there were at least ten couple every night having one of these private dinners. Every week they have a Signature Guest (repeat) Dinner. I would recommend you go to this as you have a member of management on your table, you get to dine with other guests too, and you get a bottle of rum, two T-Shirts and two Sandals leather necklaces.

As I said, this Sandals is not the greatest at the moment, but we plan to return next year to see the new part.

• Liked — Only 15 minutes from airport, 5 minutes from town and shopping
  • Disliked — Buidling work (due to complete Feb 07)
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Kimonos for dinner
25 Thank tartanqueen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,784)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I would have to say that the resort itself was beautiful. We were there for 7 nights for our wedding and honeymoon.
The wedding - The wedding was beautiful and we were not rushed at all. The marriage officiant was very nice and we got some great pics. They were a bit expensive but if we had went through with the whole big wedding..the wedding pics would have been expensive anyway. Once the wedding was over we got a small reception. The food was not great but I am not that into seafood. When we got back to the room they had covered it in some type of flowers. It was cute. The wedding dinner was nice. They held it at the Italian Restaraunt. They put us right next to the beach.
Now on to the food. I would have to say that there wasnt much flavor to the food. There wasnt much variation in the menu either. You pretty much had to order what was listed. The cooks at the snack bar were slow and not very nice. We did have 24 hr room service, so that was good. I would have to say that Kimonos was the best and it was a great way to get to know other couples because they sit 10 couples to a table.
The room - We decided to splurge and stay in the best room they offered - The Honeymoon Garden Rondoval with Private Plunge Pool. The room was actually small. The bathroom was horribly small. We did have a TV with cable and a fridge that was always kept full with sodas, juices and beer. The minibar was restocked daily. We were given almost any type of liqour we wanted. There were a few that were not offered for free, but most of them were free. We had a butler for the room. This is definitely the way to go. Honestly, the butler service wasn't great but it did help a lot. I think that they are assigned too many rooms. The pool was cute. It was about the size of two jacuzzis. It was worth the money just to be able to rest in that pool everyday together.
The beach - First off..let me tell u that the worst thing about the beach is the vendors. They will come up to u even while u r eating. They do leave u alone if u say no but they woke me up a couple of times. The beach is beautiful. It looks just like a postcard. That view made it all worth it!
Let me say in closing that the cooks were not the nicest people and the vendors were annoying but the memories of how beautiful Antigua was makes the trip well worth the money we paid!

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The food
13 Thank rcorona34
New Jrsey
Reviewed October 5, 2006

We visited Sandals Grande Antigua in September to celebrate our 14th Wedding Anniversary. That was our 3rd trip to the resort. Sandals is where it all began. Our first trip to Sandals Antigua was our honeymoon, and then on our 10th Wedding Anniversary we returned to renew our wedding vows by the beach. It was beautiful and Sandals did a wonderful job. We have met wonderful people and have even coordinated our last trip with a couple from the UK we met at another Sandals.

The staff were excellent and the management were very hospitable. Food and drinks are plentiful and activities are available all day long. The beach is beautiful and the swim-up bar is a popular meeting spot.

We look forward to returning when the European Villa is open. I'm sure it will be beautiful and we will enjoy seeing our island friends again.

• Liked — Clean, and everything available.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — An all inclusive resort like Sandals Grande Antigua is the way to go.
7 Thank marker
LONDON
Reviewed October 4, 2006

We got married 14th September 2006.
Wedding was perfect, well organized and went with out a problem.
Sandals staff are the best Ive ever come across so friendly and helpfull we couldn't have asked for anything better.
Although some parts of the resort could do with a bit of touching up, The rooms were great the beach was paradise the grounds were superb and the food to die for.

Weather in September was fantastic Im still on a high from such a great time.

Anyone wanting to get married and want to take out the hassel of a big weddng at home then this is the way to do it.
The ministers that do the weddings are fantastic and its all so romantic and personel.

16.30 wedding is the last one of the day and the best time to do it as you won't be rushed if someone was getting married after you.
From a very Sandals client. ENJOYX

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — No a thing
  • Tips/Secrets — Insect repelant
14 Thank LEELOVERS
HALEDON, NJ
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Good Evening All:
My husband and I spent our Honeymoon at Sandals in Antigua,9/18/06-9/25/06. First off I will say THANK GOD for tripadvisor this site really prepared us for what was to come. Once we arrived on the property which was very well kept we were greeted with cold towels, this was very refreshing after coming off of a long 7 hour flight. The hotel transfer service was great as well. Our room wasn't ready which meant we had to wait for 2 hours for a room to be prepared for us. Once our rooms was ready we went straight in. The room was very well kept. However, I wasn't pleased with HOUSEKEEPING'S SIGN regarding the conservation of water and electricity which meant that unless we place placque on our bed the linens will only be properly put in place not CHANGED. I feel we spent enough money to have clean linens irregardless. The beach. The beach is not private which means that vendors and other tourist can come on the beach. There is no life guards or security you are strictly on your own at SANDALS. The food. There are FIVE (5) restaurants that are available but unless you can eat all of the food groups your choices are limited. For those who do not eat pork or beef in the morning there are no other meat choices available such as turkey bacon or turkey sausage. LUNCH. I great as long as you enjoy seafood and pasta. DINNER. The OK Coral and Kimonos along with the Bayside was absolutely fabulous. The bartenders are nice but keep in mind no one is allowed to receive a tip so the service is OK nothing to brag about. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at SANDALS because of the bugs, the cats which freely roam the beach and the restaurants along with the dogs that are freely roaming on the beach. The birds not only fly above your head while your eating they actually peck at the various food displays as well. These practices are not sanitary. I stayed in Aruba where I saw no dogs, cats, or birds so I blame SANDALS not the island. If you want to engage in snorkeling or other extra cirricular activities that Sandals doesn't cover. Not only is there an additional charge these excursions are not done through which means another company handles this process and no SANDALS employee oversees this as well. If you're going to spend top dollar stay at a top dollar resort. NOT SANDALS.

6 Thank THEJ'S
Dublin, California
Reviewed September 30, 2006

Hello Trip Advisor Community!!! This is our first review, and hopefully not the last! =)

Well, for our first stay at a Sandals resort, we came away very happy with the experience. The trip wasn't exactly perfect, but we have been in places much worse off! LOL

Let’s begin with the A-list item for this visit. Hands down, the entertainment staff made this trip very memorable for us. The "Playmakers," as Sandals refers to them, went out of their way to make sure us, and other guests, were having a good time. This small group of folks went above and beyond on several occasions to make the smiles we had even bigger. I could go on for ages on the little things and big things that they did for us...trust me, they were fantastic! A very social, friendly, and down to earth team!

Our room was very nice! We and the other couple with us were assigned a two room bungalow in a prime location...right next to the main pool and swim up pool bar!!! Our location on the resort was great, but just beyond our rooms (#409 and 410), the guests were exposed to noise from the new area of the resort that is currently under construction. The room was well decorated, and quite spacious with plenty of storage, plenty of hot water, a nicely comfortable bed, working (thankfully!) air conditioner and ceiling fan, and a well stocked fridge with plenty of frosty beverages. The staff did a fantastic job of cleaning the rooms daily as well!

The only drawback to the rooms....***ROACHES*** AAAAHHHHH!!! Normally, bugs are expected in a tropical place, but when they are the size of your thumb, and hiss and click when you try to squish them, it's a tad bit unpleasant!!! =) We ended up having to sleep with a set of lights on just to keep the roaches from showing themselves!!! We knew they were there, but "out of sight, out of mind" rang very true for us. One word of advice, before you try to squish one...work out a plan, they move very very fast!!!

Next up...the food and drink!!! We were beyond happy with the drinks. Being an all inclusive, it was an open bar for the entire visit! LOL Most definitely partake in the Rum Punch, which seemed to be the signature drink at the resort, if not the entire island! The Planters Punch and Banana Sip Sop were among other favorites. Word of warning, the "Punch" drinks are quite strong...but make for a great time!

The food was average with other resorts that we've stayed at. Nothing special, and surprisingly, no local dishes!!! Isn't part of the experience of traveling tasting local cuisine??? The food was catered mainly to American and British tastes. Many of the steak and pork dishes weren't the greatest cuts of meat, (lots of fat and gristle) so stick to the chicken if you can! Breakfast and lunch were good, but nothing spectacular. For dinner, our favorites were Kimonos (Japanese cuisine) and IL PALIO (Italian cuisine). The OK Corral offers Tex Mex (fantastic chili, but stay away from the steak!!!) and the Bayside Bistro was full of the folks that didn't get reservations for the night at the other three onsite restaurants. =) There was also a snack bar open from 11am to 5pm and 11pm to 7am. The food at the snack bar was great to satisfy any munchies craving. However, beware some of the staff. The first night we had stopped by for munchies after leaving the resorts nightclub, Betty Joes, at around 2am. The gentleman working at the snack bar was in a rather foul mood and quite impatient with us not knowing what we wanted to eat the second we walked through the door! He was mumbling and grumbling the entire time, but he did make the burgers and sandwiches we ordered with care. There were other staff members working at the snack bar throughout our stay, and thankfully, none were as rude as the first guy, and some even went out of their way to make sure we could eat just about anything we wanted to at the odd hours of the night.

Now, on to the activities at the resort. Sandals has two 24-hour tennis courts and a full gym, but since we were on vacation, we really didn't feel like working out! There is also a very nice spa located on the resort. My wife had a facial there and was very happy with the treatment. However, she did mention that the relaxing mood was wrecked by the banging and noise from the nearby construction at the resort. The Playmakers also had tons of activities scheduled through the day. These ranged from Crazy Pool Games and Volleyball during the day, to Trivia, Fashion Shows (which yours truly starred in!), and their own version of The Newlywed Game in the main courtyard for the evenings entertainment. Get into as many activities as you can! Sandals awards points to each room for the activities and games they participate in and these points can be redeemed at the end of your stay for great souvenirs like the classic Sandals Necklace, T-shirts, and even bottles of the local rum!

There is also a nightclub called Betty Joes, with a fantastic DJ, and the most entertaining bartender we've had the pleasure of drinking with in ages! And yes, I did say "drinking with!" He was more than happy to make a round of shots, and then enjoy with you as well as step out onto the dance floor to help the DJ get things rocking! If you want something a little more laid back after dinner, then the piano bar is the place to be. Both the nightclub and piano bar were open quite late...1:20-2am for Betty Joes, and around 2-2:30am for the piano bar. One drawback at the piano bar was that the bartender was MIA more often than not...but our solution to that was to step behind the bar and help ourselves and any other guests that trusted our drink making skills! =) One of the piano players would also try his best to leave 30 minutes, if not an hour, before closing.

The resort also has a full service scuba diving center with well trained and knowledgeable staff as well as quite a few non-motorized water sports. The water sports staff were very happy to teach newcomers how to sail the catamarans and use the other water craft. Being a diver myself, I was more concerned with the scuba staff. The staff was great!!! The dive boats were large and spacious. They did their due diligence to make sure the boat wasn't crowded with divers and gear and kept the groups fairly small. Dive conditions early in our stay were not very good, but went from bad to pristine on the last day of diving. There wasn't much to see down there in way of "big fish" but we did catch a few nice memories and the dives near the end of the week were very relaxing! In fact, our final dive during our stay was logged at 57 minutes!!! It doesn't get much better than that!

We also did a snorkeling trip with the water sports staff. Probably due to bad luck, the water was infested with Blue Moon jellyfish!!! It made everyone uncomfortable to be in the water and several folks on the boat didn't even jump in at all. The boat crew did their best to calm everyone’s fears and went to the extent of actually pulling one of the jellies out of the water with the bare hands to show that they were harmless. After that fine show of fearlessness, a few of us braved the water and jumped in...only to have the weird fear of being surround by the jellies and touching something "soft and slimy" with every wave of the hand or kick of the feet. We all made it back to the boat within a few minutes of getting in as dodging the jellies was just too much work! I did receive a few stings across my chest and left arm while trying to pull a panicked swimmer back to the boat, but the stings were very mild and itched for about 15-20 minutes before completely subsiding. The boats are well stocked with vinegar, which neutralizes the jelly stings pretty quickly. I could make a suggestion to Sandals regarding the snorkeling site...have more than one just incase conditions are unfavorable, like jellies floating around everywhere! =)

One must do item on the "off resort" activities list...spend Sunday night at Shirley Heights!!! It is one of the most gorgeous sunsets I have ever seen!!! You can watch the sun go down over the ocean, mountainscape, and Nelsons Dockyard far below. And once the natural beauty has set the local Steel Bands and Reggae Bands kick the party into high gear! Locals and tourists mix here and it's a very safe environment! Word of advice...book a private taxi so you can get there early and come back as late as you like. The resorts shuttle will get you there in time for the sunset, but it leaves around 7:30, which is just after the fantastic bands get the party going. We arrived well before sunset and several couples that came with the resort shuttle and we ended up staying until around 10:30 at night. We absolutely love steel band and reggae music, so this night was a royal treat for us! The staff at the excursions desk will be more than happy to help arrange for a private taxi for you and the cost is very comparable to the resorts shuttle. NOTE: Eat before you go to Shirley Heights!!! Although the drinks are just US$3-$4, the food is beyond expensive! US$20 for a burger is about average!

We also spent a day on the Circumnavigation Cruise around the island, which we would highly recommend. The crew on the ginormous catamaran was very friendly, made great drinks, and served us a very delicious barbecue lunch on a very small secluded beach. They also let everyone snorkel around during the afternoon stop. Another must do is the shopping trip to St. Johns. The resort has a daily shuttle that drops you off for about 2 hours of shopping and bargaining at the St. Johns market place and shopping area. There is also Kings Casino there for anyone not much into shopping. =) We snagged some great deals on T-shirts, jewelry, photo albums and other items.

Well, I think that should give you a good idea of our stay at the Sandals Grande Antigua. The resort is quite nice, and will be even better once the new construction has been completed. The staff was quite friendly and had a genuine interest in making our stay memorable. We met several couples that became quick friends, so don't be shy when you stay here! The island itself is a beautiful place and my wife and I do hope we can pay a return visit soon!

ENJOY YOUR VACATION! =)

• Liked — The entertainment Staff/Playmakers. These guys and gals were fantastic!!!
  • Disliked — The roaches that scattered throughout our room on the first night...had to sleep with lights on the entire stay!
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Shirley Heights via Private Taxi on Sunday night; Hang out with the Playmakers and enjoy the activities, you'll meet and make lots of new friends! US cash is readly accpeted everywhere, no need to exchange currency
32 Thank Swami8
Bognor Regis - UK
Reviewed September 28, 2006

We came here for our honeymoon (9th-19th Aug 2006) and were blown away at how good it is!!

Cold towels and champange on arrival, luggage taken to your room and from there on in it just gets better and better.

The food is first class and the staff bend over backwards to help you. The only time I heard the staff being rude was when they didn't recieve a please or thankyou (which to be frank was only to the Americans as they don'y seem to have these words in their vocabulary - they just go up to the bar slam their glass down and say "beer").

Yes the rooms are a little dated and in need of a facelift, yes there are a FEW stray cats and yes people do pester you on the beach to buy things, but come on people if you go to a top honeymoon resort and spend your whole time picking holes in it you probably need to get out more, me and my wife found plenty of other things to do than gripe!!!!!!!

Top tip, do take your mozzy spray those little fellas do get hungry in the evening!

To sum up, if you can put up with rude over loud americans who feel the need to whoop at anything, but want the most amazing honeymoon/vacation go to Sandals Antigua you will not be dissapointed one bit!!!!!! (Bognor Regis, UK)

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Bolans
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!