“Don't Believe the Hype”

HALEDON, NJ
“Don't Believe the Hype”
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Good Evening All:
My husband and I spent our Honeymoon at Sandals in Antigua,9/18/06-9/25/06. First off I will say THANK GOD for tripadvisor this site really prepared us for what was to come. Once we arrived on the property which was very well kept we were greeted with cold towels, this was very refreshing after coming off of a long 7 hour flight. The hotel transfer service was great as well. Our room wasn't ready which meant we had to wait for 2 hours for a room to be prepared for us. Once our rooms was ready we went straight in. The room was very well kept. However, I wasn't pleased with HOUSEKEEPING'S SIGN regarding the conservation of water and electricity which meant that unless we place placque on our bed the linens will only be properly put in place not CHANGED. I feel we spent enough money to have clean linens irregardless. The beach. The beach is not private which means that vendors and other tourist can come on the beach. There is no life guards or security you are strictly on your own at SANDALS. The food. There are FIVE (5) restaurants that are available but unless you can eat all of the food groups your choices are limited. For those who do not eat pork or beef in the morning there are no other meat choices available such as turkey bacon or turkey sausage. LUNCH. I great as long as you enjoy seafood and pasta. DINNER. The OK Coral and Kimonos along with the Bayside was absolutely fabulous. The bartenders are nice but keep in mind no one is allowed to receive a tip so the service is OK nothing to brag about. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at SANDALS because of the bugs, the cats which freely roam the beach and the restaurants along with the dogs that are freely roaming on the beach. The birds not only fly above your head while your eating they actually peck at the various food displays as well. These practices are not sanitary. I stayed in Aruba where I saw no dogs, cats, or birds so I blame SANDALS not the island. If you want to engage in snorkeling or other extra cirricular activities that Sandals doesn't cover. Not only is there an additional charge these excursions are not done through which means another company handles this process and no SANDALS employee oversees this as well. If you're going to spend top dollar stay at a top dollar resort. NOT SANDALS.

6 Thank THEJ'S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,797)
  • Polish first
Dublin, California
Reviewed September 30, 2006

Hello Trip Advisor Community!!! This is our first review, and hopefully not the last! =)

Well, for our first stay at a Sandals resort, we came away very happy with the experience. The trip wasn't exactly perfect, but we have been in places much worse off! LOL

Let’s begin with the A-list item for this visit. Hands down, the entertainment staff made this trip very memorable for us. The "Playmakers," as Sandals refers to them, went out of their way to make sure us, and other guests, were having a good time. This small group of folks went above and beyond on several occasions to make the smiles we had even bigger. I could go on for ages on the little things and big things that they did for us...trust me, they were fantastic! A very social, friendly, and down to earth team!

Our room was very nice! We and the other couple with us were assigned a two room bungalow in a prime location...right next to the main pool and swim up pool bar!!! Our location on the resort was great, but just beyond our rooms (#409 and 410), the guests were exposed to noise from the new area of the resort that is currently under construction. The room was well decorated, and quite spacious with plenty of storage, plenty of hot water, a nicely comfortable bed, working (thankfully!) air conditioner and ceiling fan, and a well stocked fridge with plenty of frosty beverages. The staff did a fantastic job of cleaning the rooms daily as well!

The only drawback to the rooms....***ROACHES*** AAAAHHHHH!!! Normally, bugs are expected in a tropical place, but when they are the size of your thumb, and hiss and click when you try to squish them, it's a tad bit unpleasant!!! =) We ended up having to sleep with a set of lights on just to keep the roaches from showing themselves!!! We knew they were there, but "out of sight, out of mind" rang very true for us. One word of advice, before you try to squish one...work out a plan, they move very very fast!!!

Next up...the food and drink!!! We were beyond happy with the drinks. Being an all inclusive, it was an open bar for the entire visit! LOL Most definitely partake in the Rum Punch, which seemed to be the signature drink at the resort, if not the entire island! The Planters Punch and Banana Sip Sop were among other favorites. Word of warning, the "Punch" drinks are quite strong...but make for a great time!

The food was average with other resorts that we've stayed at. Nothing special, and surprisingly, no local dishes!!! Isn't part of the experience of traveling tasting local cuisine??? The food was catered mainly to American and British tastes. Many of the steak and pork dishes weren't the greatest cuts of meat, (lots of fat and gristle) so stick to the chicken if you can! Breakfast and lunch were good, but nothing spectacular. For dinner, our favorites were Kimonos (Japanese cuisine) and IL PALIO (Italian cuisine). The OK Corral offers Tex Mex (fantastic chili, but stay away from the steak!!!) and the Bayside Bistro was full of the folks that didn't get reservations for the night at the other three onsite restaurants. =) There was also a snack bar open from 11am to 5pm and 11pm to 7am. The food at the snack bar was great to satisfy any munchies craving. However, beware some of the staff. The first night we had stopped by for munchies after leaving the resorts nightclub, Betty Joes, at around 2am. The gentleman working at the snack bar was in a rather foul mood and quite impatient with us not knowing what we wanted to eat the second we walked through the door! He was mumbling and grumbling the entire time, but he did make the burgers and sandwiches we ordered with care. There were other staff members working at the snack bar throughout our stay, and thankfully, none were as rude as the first guy, and some even went out of their way to make sure we could eat just about anything we wanted to at the odd hours of the night.

Now, on to the activities at the resort. Sandals has two 24-hour tennis courts and a full gym, but since we were on vacation, we really didn't feel like working out! There is also a very nice spa located on the resort. My wife had a facial there and was very happy with the treatment. However, she did mention that the relaxing mood was wrecked by the banging and noise from the nearby construction at the resort. The Playmakers also had tons of activities scheduled through the day. These ranged from Crazy Pool Games and Volleyball during the day, to Trivia, Fashion Shows (which yours truly starred in!), and their own version of The Newlywed Game in the main courtyard for the evenings entertainment. Get into as many activities as you can! Sandals awards points to each room for the activities and games they participate in and these points can be redeemed at the end of your stay for great souvenirs like the classic Sandals Necklace, T-shirts, and even bottles of the local rum!

There is also a nightclub called Betty Joes, with a fantastic DJ, and the most entertaining bartender we've had the pleasure of drinking with in ages! And yes, I did say "drinking with!" He was more than happy to make a round of shots, and then enjoy with you as well as step out onto the dance floor to help the DJ get things rocking! If you want something a little more laid back after dinner, then the piano bar is the place to be. Both the nightclub and piano bar were open quite late...1:20-2am for Betty Joes, and around 2-2:30am for the piano bar. One drawback at the piano bar was that the bartender was MIA more often than not...but our solution to that was to step behind the bar and help ourselves and any other guests that trusted our drink making skills! =) One of the piano players would also try his best to leave 30 minutes, if not an hour, before closing.

The resort also has a full service scuba diving center with well trained and knowledgeable staff as well as quite a few non-motorized water sports. The water sports staff were very happy to teach newcomers how to sail the catamarans and use the other water craft. Being a diver myself, I was more concerned with the scuba staff. The staff was great!!! The dive boats were large and spacious. They did their due diligence to make sure the boat wasn't crowded with divers and gear and kept the groups fairly small. Dive conditions early in our stay were not very good, but went from bad to pristine on the last day of diving. There wasn't much to see down there in way of "big fish" but we did catch a few nice memories and the dives near the end of the week were very relaxing! In fact, our final dive during our stay was logged at 57 minutes!!! It doesn't get much better than that!

We also did a snorkeling trip with the water sports staff. Probably due to bad luck, the water was infested with Blue Moon jellyfish!!! It made everyone uncomfortable to be in the water and several folks on the boat didn't even jump in at all. The boat crew did their best to calm everyone’s fears and went to the extent of actually pulling one of the jellies out of the water with the bare hands to show that they were harmless. After that fine show of fearlessness, a few of us braved the water and jumped in...only to have the weird fear of being surround by the jellies and touching something "soft and slimy" with every wave of the hand or kick of the feet. We all made it back to the boat within a few minutes of getting in as dodging the jellies was just too much work! I did receive a few stings across my chest and left arm while trying to pull a panicked swimmer back to the boat, but the stings were very mild and itched for about 15-20 minutes before completely subsiding. The boats are well stocked with vinegar, which neutralizes the jelly stings pretty quickly. I could make a suggestion to Sandals regarding the snorkeling site...have more than one just incase conditions are unfavorable, like jellies floating around everywhere! =)

One must do item on the "off resort" activities list...spend Sunday night at Shirley Heights!!! It is one of the most gorgeous sunsets I have ever seen!!! You can watch the sun go down over the ocean, mountainscape, and Nelsons Dockyard far below. And once the natural beauty has set the local Steel Bands and Reggae Bands kick the party into high gear! Locals and tourists mix here and it's a very safe environment! Word of advice...book a private taxi so you can get there early and come back as late as you like. The resorts shuttle will get you there in time for the sunset, but it leaves around 7:30, which is just after the fantastic bands get the party going. We arrived well before sunset and several couples that came with the resort shuttle and we ended up staying until around 10:30 at night. We absolutely love steel band and reggae music, so this night was a royal treat for us! The staff at the excursions desk will be more than happy to help arrange for a private taxi for you and the cost is very comparable to the resorts shuttle. NOTE: Eat before you go to Shirley Heights!!! Although the drinks are just US$3-$4, the food is beyond expensive! US$20 for a burger is about average!

We also spent a day on the Circumnavigation Cruise around the island, which we would highly recommend. The crew on the ginormous catamaran was very friendly, made great drinks, and served us a very delicious barbecue lunch on a very small secluded beach. They also let everyone snorkel around during the afternoon stop. Another must do is the shopping trip to St. Johns. The resort has a daily shuttle that drops you off for about 2 hours of shopping and bargaining at the St. Johns market place and shopping area. There is also Kings Casino there for anyone not much into shopping. =) We snagged some great deals on T-shirts, jewelry, photo albums and other items.

Well, I think that should give you a good idea of our stay at the Sandals Grande Antigua. The resort is quite nice, and will be even better once the new construction has been completed. The staff was quite friendly and had a genuine interest in making our stay memorable. We met several couples that became quick friends, so don't be shy when you stay here! The island itself is a beautiful place and my wife and I do hope we can pay a return visit soon!

ENJOY YOUR VACATION! =)

• Liked — The entertainment Staff/Playmakers. These guys and gals were fantastic!!!
  • Disliked — The roaches that scattered throughout our room on the first night...had to sleep with lights on the entire stay!
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Shirley Heights via Private Taxi on Sunday night; Hang out with the Playmakers and enjoy the activities, you'll meet and make lots of new friends! US cash is readly accpeted everywhere, no need to exchange currency
32 Thank Swami8
Bognor Regis - UK
Reviewed September 28, 2006

We came here for our honeymoon (9th-19th Aug 2006) and were blown away at how good it is!!

Cold towels and champange on arrival, luggage taken to your room and from there on in it just gets better and better.

The food is first class and the staff bend over backwards to help you. The only time I heard the staff being rude was when they didn't recieve a please or thankyou (which to be frank was only to the Americans as they don'y seem to have these words in their vocabulary - they just go up to the bar slam their glass down and say "beer").

Yes the rooms are a little dated and in need of a facelift, yes there are a FEW stray cats and yes people do pester you on the beach to buy things, but come on people if you go to a top honeymoon resort and spend your whole time picking holes in it you probably need to get out more, me and my wife found plenty of other things to do than gripe!!!!!!!

Top tip, do take your mozzy spray those little fellas do get hungry in the evening!

To sum up, if you can put up with rude over loud americans who feel the need to whoop at anything, but want the most amazing honeymoon/vacation go to Sandals Antigua you will not be dissapointed one bit!!!!!! (Bognor Regis, UK)

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank ben179v
New Jersey
Reviewed September 26, 2006

For our honeymoon from Sept. 18-25, my husband and I decided we wanted to try Sandals All Inclusive resort. After reading many reviews, we decided on Sandals Antigua and prepared ourselves for the good and bad. Upon arrival, though, we were very pleasently surprised at the beauty of the resort, the easy, relaxing check-in service with champagne and wet towel. Our room was not huge, but it was comfortable and caribbean-esque. We had a beach front concierge level room in the 100 block, very far from the construction so we did not even know it was there until we walked around the resort. The bar was filled everyday - which my husband loved.

We ate at Il Palio twice and loved it, as well as Kimono's where we recommend you try and eat with Sugar - he was great. The food was terrific, the service was very good as well. Realize you are on an island to relax, and we found that our pace slowed by the end of the week. Breakfast and lunch choices at the Bayside were plentiful, and a bit overwhelming at times. In summary- food and beverage were great.

Yes there are a few stray cats, but being cat lovers, it didn't bother us. Yes, there are mosquitos, but none in our room, and just bring some Off! and you'll be fine. The beach was beautiful, the water perfect, the hobie cats were a lot of fun. Oh, and really try to get to the spa. We treated ourselves to a couples massage and came away thoroughly impressed.

Overall, we had a wonderful, relaxing honeymoon and look forward to trying another Sandals in the future.

• Liked — The proximity to everything
  • Disliked — In need of some cosmetic upkeep on all major buildings
  • Tips/Secrets — Try and get a beach front room
15 Thank devinandrea
Oxford, UK
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I stayed at Sandals between 1 and 15 September 2006.

I thought that this hotel is one that grows on you. First impressions of my room were not that good quite dated and old but who wants to stay in there room anyway. (Plus I went to Jolly Beach for the day where my family were staying and saw there rooms - horrible and it made mine look like a palace)

I thought the food was lovely so much choice and variety. My favorite was the Italian. Please remember to take long trousers and collared shirt. It does say this on all the websites so I don't know why anyone would complain if that is the dress code then stick to it, it is actually quite nice to get dressed up in the evenings, most of the couples do.

The entertainment overall was very good, although I was usually in bed by 10pm because I was knackered.

The scuba diving was very well done not too much to see but very professional. I saw a nurse shark, turtle, stringrays annd lots of fish. I noticed in another review that they were slating sandals for the jellyfish!! How can Sandals control this????

The staff are friendly but only if you are friendly and chatty to them first, if they seem offish it is usually because they have just had demands or been shouted at by another rude guest. I thought a lot of guests spent too much time picking out the bad rather than having a good time.

My wedding day was perfect, the flowers, reception and cake were brilliant. I also had the steel drum band and I would definately recommend this. If anyone has any particular questions about the wedding or would like me to email them the photos please send your email address to

Karinaquenault@aol.com

The red lane spa is amazing. I had the heart rock massage and it was again amazing.

I loved this resort.

• Liked — Rustic charm
  • Disliked — Room decor
16 Thank KarinaQ
Louisiana
Reviewed September 23, 2006

I have traveled to Carribean islands before, but this was my first time staying at an all-inclusive resort and visiting Antigua. My boyfriend had stayed at other Superclub Resorts and swore that "all inclusive" was the way to go. We stayed at the Sandals Antigua Resort from September 15-20th. Since my birthday was on the September 16th we thought it would be great for us to get away.

We booked our vacation through the Sandals website. We looked at Expedia and Orbitz, but the Sandals price was a little cheaper so we went through them. They were very courteous.

While, the overall experience at Sandals Antigua was pretty good, I just have a couple of comments that may give you a realistic picture of the Resort vacation.

Being from the US, and having become accustomed to a certain standard of hotel, and airconditioning, I did not know what to expect in Antigua. We booked a Deluxe Room, with the intention of upgrading once we arrived. I advise you to never book the Deluxe -- the Sandals webisite it totally misleading. The room was extremely small and felt damp inside. Since we arrived so late due to the fact that our flight was cancelled and no one bothered to notify us, we were not able to upgrade until the next day. However, the staff in reservations was excellent -- Junie contacted us and showed us two rooms that were available for upgrade. We decided to book a Concierge room. It has a stocked bar that is included in the price. In addition, it had a wonderful view of the water and beach. The room was much cleaner and felt more "solid" than the Deluxe. The problem throughout the resort is mosquitoes, and there is no mosquito netting. There is nothing under the door to prevent them from coming into the room, so I would advise you to take mosquito spray for your outings and some spray for your room. In addition, you will probably want to put a towel in front of the door.

We had an opportunity to eat at all five restaurants, and my boyfriend even arranged a candelight dinner on the beach for me. My food at the candlelight dinner was excellent. My boyfriend had lobster, which he said was a little rubbery. I was surprised that the food was good. But I guess since we had to pay extra for it, they worked a little harder. The Japanese restaurant, Kimonos, was very standard -- don't market yourself as a Japanese restaurant if you don't have a true hibachi chef. To make it worse, he cleaned the grill as we sat there to eat. The Italian Restaurant was also pretty good. The Bayside restaurant had terrible service each of the seven times that we went there -- they never check to see if you're ok, if you need a drink or refill -- nothing. There were not courteous. Also, the Snack restaurant was also sub-standard food and had no variety. They cooked the same thing every day. On the positive side, you get to eat as much as you want and drink the same amount.

I know we were on a vacation -- but when you say that you're going to open for meals at certain hours, then open. They clearly don't have a concept of time and we had a running joke that whatever time they were supposed to open that we would put "ish" after the time. "They open at twelve thirty'ish"

When you make reservations please make sure to show up first. They give the best tables to the people that show up first, so if taking in the beauty is important to you, then get there first.

The weather was excellent during our visit and there was always a great breeze in the evenings. This ia a beautiful place - not overrun by a lot of tourists. And, the water was fairly calm. It is a laid back atmosphere which was what we were looking for. There were couples of different ages, and everyone was laid back.

During our visit we did two tours -- one was the tour to Shirley's Heights and the other was the Island Safari Eco-Kayaking Tour. The Shirley's Heights tour was extremely disappointing. In addition, during the Eco Kyaking tour we got to see the same place anyway. I would highly recommend the Eco Kayaking Tour to anyone interested. You get a great tour of the Island, learn that the proper pronounciation of the island is "An - T - GUA" versus "An - T - GA", you get to do a great kayak tour, snorkel have lunch and return to the resort.

We met a lot of great people from the USA and UK. Most people stay to themselves, so you don't have to worry about those individuals inserting themselves in your "couple" time.

Also, avoid the disco. Again, we were told it opened at a certain time and it did not. When we got there they didn't even have the lights on. When we walked out, they turned it on. The couples games in the evenings were fun to watch, and the activities at the swim-up pool were also fun -- water volleyball and aerobics.

Overall, I had a great time inspite of a couple of the glitches that we had. I think if you go with someone you love, you'll have a great time.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The lack of courteous staff
9 Thank LuzianaGirl
Connecticut
Reviewed September 19, 2006

We went to Sandals Antigua for our honeymoon.. This was my first time going on a vacation like this, but not my husbands first time. We were extremely disappointed.. The food was disgusting, not just bad, but DISGUSTING. There were roaches everywhere, stray cats that would jump on your table, or sit and mooch from you. Stray dogs that roamed the beach. Vendors that harassed you to buy things, as well as trying to sell horse rides, and drugs. Our room was beautiful, and the scenery was alright.. Those were about the only two good things about the vacation... Our room is where we spent most of our time because the place was absolutely horrible!!! The drinks were never the same, the snack bar was terrible.. The nachos were so stale that you could literally bend them without them breaking, and the pretzels so stale they could be used as weapons! You had to make reservations for dinner which isn't a problem except that when you arrived for dinner you had to wait like 30 mins to be seated because nobody pays attention to you! The staff were rude... Our air conditioner broke, and then after it was supposedly fixed it spit ice chips out at us for the rest of the stay.. Our toilet overflowed, and it took them an hour and a half just to show up to fix it. There was absolutely no water pressure, it took about 15 mins to get the water to warm up enough so you could actually get in, and then it took about 20 - 30 mins to get all the shampoo out of my hair! The site shows the resort as being this huge resort with the caribbeans largest pool.. That is BS!!!! It's not even built yet!!!!!!!! The place was under construction when we got there, and it's not even close to being finished. When we got our bill to check out, there was close to $100 worth of phone calls that we didn't make, there were 3 other couples in line to checkout with the SAME PROBLEM...There were jellyfish everywhere to... People were going snorkeling and refusing to get out of the boat because there were so many! Their staff had been using our phones and racking up our phone bills! This place is a joke, it's ridiculous, the staff are rude, the food is disgusting, I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!!! Everyone we met had exactly the same complaints... We didn't meet one couple that could say a postive thing about this place.

• Liked — The room was alright.
  • Disliked — Everything, it was horrible.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't waste your money, you'll be extremely disappointed...... Although we've heard nothing but postive reports on other Sandals resorts.
18 Thank Natty090206
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!