Ok, let me be clear... My husband and I love the Carribbean and usually have wonderful time visiting the islands. We went to Antigua Sandals to celebrate our 5 year anniversary and to just relax and rest in a beautiful low key environment.
From the moment we got to Sandals, I regretted my choice. I picked Sandals Antigua because they touted themselves as voted Most Romantic Resort in the World. Saying that was like McDonalds claiming to have the best hamburger in the World. A tall lie.
I won't even tire you with too many long explanations, but lets just list the problems to make it crystal clear to you that this is NOT the place to visit for a romantic trip:
1. PEOPLE: The people are overall nice, however we ran into several scams that disgusted me. I can deal with scams here. I don't need to hear it on vacation. Between the tours offered by staff and their family even to the spa even trying to book me for services that I didn't request. Use caution when entering the spa b/c I frequent the spa home often and have never seen anything like this, but they tried to tell me as I was getting a massage that I also booked a facial. I didn't book a facial and they knew that but they were trying to make money by booking me themselves. It was disgusting when they got caught lying.
2. FOOD: The food was disgusting. Breakfast was usually the most acceptable of meals. Please don't even go thinking that the food will be good. It was substandard food. My food in the college cafeteria was better than this food. The Italian place had decent lamb chops, but don't get the pasta. They boiled the noodles to mush and don't seem to know about al dente. Anyway, you do better to take a can of sardines than eat half of the food cooked.
3. ANIMALS: This location is the perfect place for you if you like eating with cats and dogs; however, if you don't like stray cats walking and stopping at your table begging for food, or dogs howling on the beach and running around the dining area, don't come here. I actually went against my rules and didn't read tripadvisor before I booked this, but then read it the day before I left and ended up depressed b/c so many people complained about the nasty stray cats that hang around the premises and food areas begging for food and cleaning themselves at your table.
Lets be clear... if this was the Westin, Marriott, or Ritz, you wouldn't go if cats were hanging around, so for $400 something a night, why stay here with stray animals? I even saw a cat go back to the kitchen area. I'm sorry, but to me, its clear that anyplace that will allow and keep 10 or so stray cats roaming around their place, may be doing so for pest control. I totally believe that this is a mice or rodent problem. By US standards, their kitchen would be shut down.
4. ROOMS: The rooms were decent. We were automatically upgraded b/c they are doing renovations on this property and my original room was in the construction area. Trust and believe that this is only a way to prevent complaints and appease people early on. Overall room was decent, but here is the CAVEAT... the beds are cheap and not comfortable. They actually have wood planks under the mattress. No there is not a box spring under the mattress, just pieces of wood.
Ok, lets be real, this is a romantic resort for honeymooners and couples, so you know that people are having [---]. Well b/c the beds are so cheap and with the wood, you will hear squeaking quite often.
The beds are very cheap and the mattresses are motel quality, so if you have a weak back, don't come here.
5. OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS: Trust me, I am not, I repeat I am not a hotel representative, but I will give you other options.
I've been to Jamaica, Aruba, Puerto Rico and Bahamas, and they all topped this experience. Please read this and take the comments seriously if you appreciate nice accomodations and good food when vacationing. We went to Couples Negril for our honeymoon and Sandals is a joke in comparison. The food at Couples was delectable, the services were stellar, and the people so humble. In Aruba, we stayed at the Marriott on the beach and it was a delight. In Puerto Rico, we went to the Westin and it everything was excellent and it was extremely private and quaint. I forget where I stayed in Bahamas, I believed it used to be called the Princess Hotel, but it was exquisite.
So Sandals has a lot to work on to ever get my vote of confidence. Please do you research and use this site before booking your trip. Had the reviews first, I would have never had gone to Antigua.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, TravelUp, Hotwire, BookIt.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish