Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Siboney Beach Club(St. John's)(Great Value!)
$180
$158
$356
$230
Hotels.com
Ocean Point Resort & Spa(St. John's)(Great Value!)
$160
$154
Antigua Village(St. John's)
$144
Hotels.com
$411
Travelocity
Jumby Bay Island(St. John's)
$1,431
7,102 results
All reviewsok corralbutler servicecaribbean sidedrunken duckmediterranean villagemain poolsushi barbayside restaurantcafe de parisred lane spaclub levelcaribbean groveswim up barour honeymoonmediterranean poolpiano barbutler suite
A TripAdvisor Member
Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 21, 2006

My wife and I were there from May 29th 2006 - June 5th 2006. I booked directly through the Sandals web site and one would think that they would let you know that the room you reserved was directly in front of the SPA which is currently undergoing renovations. The noise and the smell was aweful. The only highlight was we weren't at the other side of the resort, where the construction for the new expansion is going on; people we spoke with who had rooms over there said the noise was unbearable at times. Our room was small and not very clean. I saw a cockroach I swear I could have rode it back to Massachusetts if I wanted to. I could continue with a long list of unexpected annoyances, but I won't. I will simply say save your money this resort is way overpriced and the value just isn't there. My wife and I are not the kind of people who expect something for nothing, but in this instance we paid a small fourtune for something and received next to nothing. :(

Stayed: June 2006
31  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We have traveled to several Sandals (Dunn's River, Whitehouse, Royal Bahamian) and were very dissapointed with the service at Sandals Antigua. The grounds are very beautiful, and the rooms are adequate. The food is below average (the one night I had oysters, I got sick). I also did not request the table for 3 at the OK Corral (cockroach at our table) Granted, it is an island and all the restaurants are outdoors, but when I asked to be moved to another table (as I am petrified of cockroaches) I was told no. Check Please!

The management staff and several staff members are not what we have come to expect from Sandals. The hospitality level is at the bare minimum - esecially when you compare your treatment to the Sandals in Jamaica. Most of the staff rarely remember your name, do not have "special drinks" and barely make eye contact or say hello when you pass - unless you intiate it.

My thoughts on the construction? It is there, and you'll most likely only notice it if you stay in one of the Butler level rooms close to the Ocean. Interesting how they are upgrading so many people to those rooms, to free up the lower level rooms for last minute bookings. Forget about addressing your concerns with Management, they don't want to hear about it and are unwilling to offer alternatives.

I am not rude, or picky, I LOVE Sandals resorts, and rarely, if ever, complain. You will not be happy with the level of service for the amount you pay.My suggestion? If you are at all apprehensive, go to a Sandals in Jamaica instead. Save Antigua for 2008. By then they should have all the bugs worked out on the expansion.

Happy Travels.

Stayed: April 2006
25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My wife and I just returned from seven days/ night in Antigua! Trip well worth the money. Delta direct from Atlanta--3 hour flight--frequent flier miles--cheap. We booked the base room--large King 4 post bed, plenty of room, well maintained, clean, goo air conditioner for hot nights. We had three free nights from a previous Sandals stay in Jamaica(hurricane came close by in July '05) We used $400 Sandals Signature Guest credit and came out for about $1500 for all week! Food was very good overall. Il Palio and Kimono's were good. The OK Corral was acceptable. The buffet restaurant was more than adequate for breakfast and lunch--excellent omellets and made to order pancakes. The grill was good for lunch with burgers and pita pouches! Signature Guest dinner with the manager was very nice and we got to meet other frequent Sandals Vacationers-- was nice. Topless for the right ladies on the beach seemed to be okay. Pools on site were older and smaller-- but clean. The swim up bar was nice for sure. Top Shelf drinks and rather strong tropical drinks were the norm. . . I really can't see how they could have made any money on us! The airport is only 15 minutes from Sandals. Normal Carribean cabbies, except for one we hired to take us around the island himself. "Fish" is the name. He is stationed at the front entrance to Sandals. He is well educated and well spoken. His Toyota Van is new and very clean and cool. His local knowledge was very much appreciated. Golf at Cedar Valley was somewhat disappointing--very hard fairways, rolling hills, Bermuda greens, very rough sand and cost $60 through Sandals and another $30 for a cart at the course. No one else on the course the day I played! I visited the course at Jolly Harbour but did not play--seemed to be better maintained, but short and flat(5800yds) Taxi cab from Sandals roundtrip was $50; greens fees about the same as Cedar Valley. Sunset Cruise from Sandals was worth the $110 couple. Great views of the island and sunset--not rough sailing at all on the catermeran. Sandals employees were wonderful. Bar Tenders were attentive and were good to remember your name and what drinks you liked! Playmaker, Karim, was very personable and will most likely be promoted within the company if he continues to perform well. We had meals with him a couple of times and of course saw him by the pool and other parts of the property all week. The construction on the south end of the property was hiden for the most part. We saw the plans at the Signature Guest reception and it looks to really be a nice addition--most likely the higher end suites, etc. We heard other couples speaking of the $3500-$7000 they spent for the week, but for our money, we could not have been more pleased. I have had two very positive vacation experiences with Sandals the last two years--Ocho Rhios and Antigua. We will do St. Lucia Sandals next. Look for the deals and enjoy your time in the Sun--we had 20 minute of rain all week--plenty of sun the rest of the week! Great trip!!!!!!! Sam in Atlanta

8  Thank sampbs
Reviewed June 15, 2006

I felt obliged to write this review as I've read so many bad ones prior to my trip and was quite apprehensive about my holiday. I refrained my wife from reading the reviews on trip advisor so she could go to Sandals with an open mind. We stayed at Sandals Antigua for a week in June 2006 and absolutely loved it. The holiday was intended for my wife and I to spend some quality time together as the grandparents were looking after our children. I’ve always loved the Caribbean and the people who live there because it’s so relaxing. So I am going to add my two cents and let everyone know that Antigua is truly a little slice of paradise. Let me start…………….

After our long and numerous flights (I don’t think anyone can say they enjoy traveling on planes) we arrived at Sandals Antigua to complementary towels and champagne. Right from the get go you felt totally relaxed and the place was absolutely beautiful. They have palm trees and tropical plants all around the resort so it feels very secluded and coming from Arizona having been brought up in England it’s always nice to see the green surroundings. We were then escorted to our rooms and to my horror were at the end near the construction work. We were on the ground floor and couldn’t see or hear any construction work going on so I thought why complain as we were right next to the beach. A quick tour around the complex assured me this was going to be a fantastic week. We approached the main bar and had our first cocktail as the sun was going down. Overlooking the beach and listening to the waves was brilliant and was so calm and peaceful I could have stared out at sea for hours. Now I’m in my early twenties and enjoy nights out as much as the next person but sitting there with my wife overlooking the ocean was great. That night was barbecue on the beach which was fun, it was open seating so a good way to meet your fellow sun worshippers and break the ice. In general the entertainment was good, they always had something going on which varied from the local steel drums band to karaoke. I felt the piano bar and night club could have been a little better but I think that has something to do with the people that vacation here. The beaches and pools were always busy during the day but when you went to the nightclub there was just a handful of die hard British couples enjoying themselves so there’s only so much Sandals can do. Also the CD collection might need an update as it took a week afterwards for the reggae music to stop ringing in my ears. A few chart songs would have been nice to listen to now and then but when in Rome!

So onto the food, this was my first all inclusive so I wasn’t expecting the food to be top draw but I was pleasantly surprised. We tried all three reserve seating restaurants and each one was different from the next which was nice but actually found there main restaurant to be adequate with a great selection of food. We actually got into a routine of sipping champagne on the beach watching the sunset and then heading to one of the restaurants for a lovely meal before testing out our dance moves at the nightclub and then a quick sing song at the piano bar at 1.30am (How many times has that guy had to play “sing us a song you’re the piano man”)

We did manage to venture out of the complex for an ATV ride around the island. It was great to see the other side of the island and how hard these people work to make ends meat. It’s not surprising that the odd staff member could get annoyed when the holiday people fly in expecting them to act like slaves while they enjoy their Island. I was brought up that manners cost nothing and if you treat the locals with the same courtesy you’d expect then you will have no problems. A simple please and thank you will go a long way. I overheard an American treating the staff like they were a piece of dirt on he’s shoe and I told my wife if I was in that situation it would have been lights out for the American so I think the staff are really good considering the demands of some guests. We also tried the snorkeling, sail boats and sunset cruise which were all great in their own right. The jet skies were good fun as well but be aware they have nothing to do with Sandals and the people can be quite hostile. The guy had some words with me saying I was driving he’s jet ski fast like a crazy man but what else are you meant to do with a jet ski.

All in all we had a fantastic time. We met some great people and will take home some great memories. There’s a mixture of people but we found everyone to be friendly. After all everyone is on holiday on a Caribbean Island. Well that’s about it from me, If your looking to see a beautiful island and have everything laid on for you then you will have a wonderful time. Yer Mon!

Stayed: June 2006
34  Thank Edward R
Reviewed June 12, 2006

The resort and island are beautiful. Some minor repairs and upgrades need to be done...but nothing major. The food and service on the other hand were dismal. Don't get me wrong some of the staff were super friendly and helpful, but unfortunately...it is the ones that aren't so great that can spoil a vacation or honeymoon.

The service and food is more comparable to a two star resort than a 5 star and as long as you are fully aware of these facts...you have nothing to worry about. As Sandals says..."All you need is love," because they don't offer much else:)

• Stayed: May 2006