“Best Vacation For Couples”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I went to Sandals Antigua for our 10th year wedding anniversary. The resort exceeded our expectations with the food (order the lobster), variety of activities (snorkeling, couple games, etc..) beach (clean, amazing views) and friendly staff members. Every day we were at Cafe de Paris for amazing coffee and pastries. The couples massage was excellent (ask for Ms. Gwen) We hope to be back!!! #Anu!!!

1  Thank Zander R
Write a ReviewReviews (6,959)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The resort was beautiful and comfortable. The service was friendly and cheerful, especially our butler, Maureen, who knew what we wanted before we said anything. We were both camera shy before the trip but Delmore brought out our inner models. We had lots of fun hamming it up in front of his camera. The wedding staff guided us through a picture-perfect ceremony and ensured that we will have fond memories that last a lifetime. We definitely plan to return as soon as possible!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I am a travel agent who has been very fortunate in that I have been everywhere! Having said that, It takes alot more to impress me and the staff ,both in front and behind the scenes of the Sandals Brand continue to impress and surprise me with how well they take care of my clients! Shout out to Ezra who took my mistake and fixed it so that my clients could experience the Sandals Difference!! Thanks so much!! We love Sandals!!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We visited Sandals Antigua 7-14 June 2014. The resort was first class--facilities in good order, grounds immaculate, beach and pools clean, room comfortable, and a great staff who cared about providing good service. Whoever trains the staff needs an award. The srtqff would not accept tips--which i was glad to offer due to the service and friendliness of the place. We were in room 403 which is a quaint cottage with a nice front proch close to everything. The breakfast buffet was excellent. However supper needs a bit of fine tuning. There was no supper buffet so we went to their ala carte restarunts. Food was good, but serving size was very small. I ordered scallops for an appetiser and got one lonely critter burried in some green stuff. I ordered the Mahi for an entre and got a 2 inch piece of fish--very tasty but I throw away smaller bait fish than that. I then ordered a second Mahi entre--no problem. The Drunken Duck served great bar food like I guess in England. The guy who runs it is a pro and pleases all who go there. They have a neat coffee shop too--great coffee and desserts. Food is good, but serving sizes too small--and they need a supper buffet. They have wi fi at main building, but it would be nice if it were all over the resort. That can't cost too much for that big firm. Sandals costs a bit more than other really nice resorts, but they out-do most in quality and service--we went for our 10th anniversary. Yes, we would go again for a special occasion. Beware of the airport--definitely third world primitive. Ther are building a modern structure but need to consider better ways to move people in, out and thru customs--long walks, never ending lines. bottom line--this is a great resort that treats guests very well.

Room Tip: 400 s3eries rooms are great standard rooms
1  Thank engineer48
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Our stay at the Sandals was pretty typical of a commercial resort. Nothing extraordinary that stands out about it. One thing that really did annoy us was the constant badgering from the locals on the beach. We must have told the same people at least 3x a day everyday we weren't interested in buying anything! The food was average at best. The drunken duck is a lot of fun and they also had a white party (the chocolate martini's were awesome) which was a good time. The island itself is lovely. If you get a chance take the helicopter ride over the island of Montserrat...once of the coolest things ever to experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elena2480
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Spent two weeks in a poolside room in the Caribbean Grove and it was bliss. Everyone was so eager to please - absolutely nothing was too much trouble! Took a day or two to relax fully into the very very laid back way of life - there is absolutely no sense of urgency - so don't expect it!
We sampled and enjoyed all the restaurants ... Slightly disappointed by "Marios" the Italian - limited and not very tasty menu and dining chairs far far too low which left us eating with your elbows up around our chins!!!! But other than that - absolutely no complaints and no where near as "formal" as I had anticipated - it's all very relaxed and spotless.
Excellent day out on the speedboat trip which visited stingray city and a picnic lunch on a beautiful beach ... Well worth the money. For those of you who like a flutter, there is also a Casino (not owned by the resort) but accessible from the gardens.
There were far too many people who made our stay special to single out any one. Suffice to say, thank you one and all.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank GailRad
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was our third visit to a Sandals property, and I must say that we were a bit disappointed. It didn’t help that our previous trips were to St. Lucia and Whitehouse, which are both absolutely amazing places. So, where to begin?

We requested a ground floor room and got the 5th floor. Our friends requested an upper level room and got the ground floor. The room was expansive and quite nice, except… the carpet and throw rugs were vacuumed every day, but desperately needed to be shampooed. The grout in the floor tile was dirty and you could tell that it wasn’t getting the attention it needed. The liquor in the room was bottom shelf (at Whitehouse we had Bombay Sapphire in the room). Speaking of Bombay Sapphire, I guess they had maybe one or two bottles on the property at any given time but it could rarely be found by the person currently taking my order. I really enjoy a Bombay martini and was able to score maybe two of them over the course of 9 days.

The concierge service was a joke. Had this been our first stay in a Club Level room we would never spend the extra money again. But, the experiences we had at Whitehouse and St. Lucia were completely different from Antigua and absolutely sold us on concierge. On our first day there were 4 beers in our fridge, 2 Wadadli and 2 Carib. We didn’t care for the Wadadli, so we called the concierge and requested more Carib’s. They never showed up. The Sandals website says there will be daily contact from the concierge, but we saw them on days 1 and 9 only. There was no acknowledgement of my wife’s birthday, but one day we returned to our room to find imitation flowers scattered around the bed and a card from our travel agent and Mr. G (the property GM). Nice effort, but it had a typo in it. My wife and her friend coordinated a shopping excursion through the concierge desk and were told to go to the other end of the property to complete the transaction at the Island Routes desk. Her friend asked “isn’t that what we pay the concierge to do?” and the person on duty pulled out the paperwork and completed it right there. The last day was the real kick in the butt, though. We received our departure instructions the previous night; luggage outside by 7, checkout at 7:15, taxi to the airport at 7:30. Our luggage was out at the appropriate time, and we blew off the checkout time because we signed up for express checkout when we arrived. We left our room right at 7:30 only to find our luggage still sitting outside. We took it down to the concierge area ourselves and took our room keys to the desk. It turned out that I did have to check out after all, in spite of signing up for express checkout. The young lady behind the desk then said that she would call us a taxi. At 8 my wife went back to the desk to ask how long it would take for the taxi to get there; the girl went doe-eyed and then called for the taxi. She obviously forgot to call the first time as the taxi showed up about 30 seconds later. When we went to get in the vehicle the driver asked if we were paying for it ourselves. I said no, we had a transfer, and started to get it out of my backpack. The driver said no, it had to come from the desk. I walked back to the desk where I was greeted with a heavy sigh, like I was being problematic. She then proceeded to write out the transfer ticket for the driver. Maybe it was her first day. After we returned home we realized that we were charged for a cash advance that we didn’t get, but a very nice young lady named Odette was able to clear that up for us in just a couple of hours.

We saw the desk attendant's attitude reflected several times a day by other personnel that we encountered through the course of our stay. Most everyone just seemed grumpy, and the vibe was totally different from Jamaica. I understand it’s a different island, but it was still very odd.

There were a few notable exceptions, of course: Hersula in the piano bar, Marie-Louise at the main pool swim-up bar, Violet at Bayside, Omari at Barefoot (he brought my wife some birthday cake after overhearing our conversation), Sugah at Kimono, Kayla, Joyce and Ken at Mario’s, Litisha and Gus at Eleanor’s, Wendy at the Mario patio bar and Andy and Claudine in the Drunken Duck. All were very friendly and provided exceptional service. I hope someone from Sandals sees this and commends them appropriately.

To draw a comparison, our room at Whitehouse leaked during a thunderstorm and we were moved to another room. We weren’t allowed to touch our luggage during the move because “you are on vacation”, which was said with a smile. After we got into our new room we noticed that we didn’t have an umbrella. As we stepped outside there was a young man from the housekeeping department walking by so I asked him if we could get one. He sprinted (not walked, jogged or trotted, but sprinted) around the corner to find one. About 15 seconds later he came sprinting back, umbrella in hand. That was the level of service we got at Whitehouse, every minute of every day. And yes, I know there are a lot of first-world problems listed up there, but when paying close to $1000 a night there are expectations. I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence or not but Mr. G was the GM at Whitehouse when we were there. Perhaps he was sent to Antigua to straighten the place up a bit.

The beach is nice but it is open to the public. This is beyond Sandals control, of course. We did meet a nice local man named Yankee that hooked us up with a fishing trip and jet ski rentals. We also did the circumnavigation sailboat excursion which was quite enjoyable.

All in all we still had a very good time, in spite of the concierge’s efforts. We are undecided if we will visit another Sandals property in the future, but if we do we certainly won’t be returning to Antigua. I would have preferred to put all of this in a survey instead of complaining so openly, but I didn’t receive one this time. I’m told they are sent out randomly and one can’t be forced to me.

1  Thank dblaforce
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!