“Got married at Sandals Grande Antigua!”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was an amazing venue. The wedding staff (Maudlyn) was professional and very helpful. I visited the Redlane spa to get my hair and makeup done and was pleased with the outcome and the friendly service. Thank you Tatyanna!

We loved our photos and thanks to Caseam and Kenrick from the Photo shop for capturing all of our precious moments.

Overall we have come to expect great things from Sandals and Beaches Resorts and we have yet to be let down. The food was great, the service was excellent and the atmosphere amazing!

Choosing this hotel chain was clearly the right decision to celebrate our special day.

• Stayed: March 2014
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Dear Lori,

It was such a privilege for us to host your Weddingmoon at Sandals Grande Antigua and we are thrilled that your big day was perfect from beginning to end! We could not be happier with the amazing job our staff did in making your already special trip, an unforgettable one. We hope you will "soon come back"!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,908)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

All the positive reviews that we've read about Sandals Grande Antigua were true - we just returned from Antigua on Saturday; our stay was from March 19-29th. We read over 400 reviews before we finally arrived and a lot of them were negative and we can't understand why. We truly had the best experience and an amazing time. My wife and I do not drink and we still felt the value was worth it because if you are a Scuba Diver it is included, everything. We completed 13 dives in 8 days and paid for nothing except a wetsuit rental. No Tipping..... We saved about 1300.00 by going here. We saw a 10ft Nurse Shark, Turtles, Barracudas, 30lb Lobsters everywhere. We will be going again for sure next year. The food was amazing, we never ate the same place twice except for the pastry and sweets location, could not stop. If you want ala carte meals you can go that way, if you want buffet you can go that direction. We honestly never stepped in the pool not once, and again that is because there is a gorgeous beach and we would rather spend time there. The pool is however big and there a multiple pools on the properties. We wanted to mention a few of the people who made our trip even better with there positive personalities and made our trip even better. The Dive Crew: Troy the man in charge has a great team, James, Furlene, Maurice, Ray and the captains of the boats. Our room cleaning lady Jennifer B. was perfect always had a extra coffee and water in our room and we never had to ask. Our morning buffet breakfast at Marios before scuba was always great. Everyone one there especially Ken & Jessica all smiles with a warm greeting, Syliva was always clearing tables and keeping things nice. Kevin one of the Chef's was great went and got me Sugar Cane as a special request. Gus went above an beyond at our dinner at Eleanor's, we wanted to Thank him for that impeccable service. Delroy was our photographer and he was great to work with. Soulange worked in the gift shop and was always a pleasure to speak with and always knew our names when we walked through the door. Yes there are people who ask you to buy souvenirs on the beach but they are very polite and when you say No Thank You they kindly move on, it was never a bother. Overall we really enjoyed our time and if this review can help someone making the decision to go I hope your vacation travel was an enjoyable as ours.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mediterranean Club level walk out room 7107. Perfect location on the ground floor e...
5  Thank DARREN P

Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Antigua, Darren!

We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and exploring the rich, marine life with our fantastic dive staff. It's wonderful that you returned home with so many wonderful memories of your Caribbean adventure and we cannot wait to welcome you back for more!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Just returned from a great trip to Sandals Grande Antigua. Stayed on the Caribbean side in a wonderful partial oceanview room! Would like to extend a special thank you to Melissa at the front desk who went above and beyond making sure our trip was wonderful. Also wanted to thank Nicco on running such a great resort !!!!

1  Thank patti124

Hello patti124,

Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic experience at Sandals Grande Antigua. We are so pleased that you had a fantastic vacation and that our staff was able to make this trip memorable for you. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

All the positive reviews that we've read about Sandals Grande Antigua were true - we just returned from Antigua on Saturday; our stay was from March 22-29. We stayed in the Caribbean Grove villas, and thoroughly enjoyed our room. We traveled with another couple, and they, like us, enjoy the older, quieter lush grounds, with the smaller Caribbean pool nearby.

We don't understand the negative statements made by other visitors! The employees of this particular Sandals were very friendly, approachable, and hard-working. Some notables were Latoya, the bartender at the swim-up bar, Gus, the manager at Eleanors, and Omarie at the Soon Come Back desk. They are delightful people who represent the Sandals organization in a very positive manner.

We visited a local elementary school with the Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip, and enjoyed a 2nd grade classroom. It was an enjoyable morning, but I wish I could have donated some children's books to the school. They are really in need of more books in their classroom libraries. We took crayons, which we gave to the very appreciative teacher.

Don't hesitate to book this Sandals- the proximity from the airport to the resort, the size of the lush grounds, the fun employees, and the beautiful island of Antigua were enough for us to book another Spring Break week next year.

Room Tip: The villas on the Caribbean side are "Sandals Excellence"!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Marcia H

Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Antigua, Hudson1030.

We appreciate your kind comments and that you took the time to recognize our staff's warm and friendly spirit. We are pleased that you had an amazing experience with us and that you are excited to return. We look forward to having you as our guest again next year!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

First of all, I would like to say that the staff at the resort, grounds(water and land), and accomodations were excellent. Our trip to and from the airport and check in were seamless. We stayed at Sandals La Toc last year during March Break and the food was wonderful so we expected the same from this Sandals. The food was only OK, actually disappointing! The variety and quality were not up to par. We had dinner the first night at the French Restaurant which was not good. I ordered scallops for an appetizer and only got one and the fish i ordered was not available and the substitute was just average. This is not a French restaurant and the service was very slow ( 2 other couples we sat near thought the same). The seafood and caribbean restaurants also had limited selection and often had substitutes as well (note: if you have not eaten caribbean lobster before, it is not the same as Atlantic lobster, you like it or you don't, and I don't care for it)) and the buffets some days were better than others, plates often empty for sometime before replaced and not a lot of variety. The buffet breakfasts didn't even have fresh squeezed juice, and there was only canned orange and cranberry juice at Marios. The best food served was at the Beach Party on mon. night, it was very, very good, lots of variety, and lots of local selection. Marios had the best antipasto bar but the regular fare was not great. We ate at the Tex Mex and we had good service and the food was good but I don't go to the Caribbean to eat Tex Mex and the menu was very limited. The staff there was quick and welcoming. We liked Sammy at Barefoot, she apologized for the slow service several times at lunch one day where we waited 20 min. to get a table and 1/2 hr. before we got our meal(salad, hot dogs and chicken) .The beach and ocean were beautiful, very warm and mostly calm with a great white sand beach and you could walk a fair distance. The beach merchants were actually very nice and would accept a no thank you.. We were suppose to go snorkelling one day but it was too rough so they took us for a boat ride into St. John's which I thought was very thoughtful, and there were only 6 of us. We had our best experience at the Drunken Duck. We would like to thank Claudine (she gives great hugs), Mario, James, Alexandra and Eastmaine - they were all so much fun. Reserving chairs is the worst and staff don't follow up by taking towels away if people don't show up. The Butlers reserve places and the people often don't even show up, so people were always roaming around looking for a place to sit with an umbrella. Rules need to be forced, (apparently they enforce them at Sandals in Grenada). I loved the resort and the people, the concierge called twice to find out if we were OK so they care but the food needs a lot of attention. We stayed in the Mediterranean Village and our standard room was just great.

4  Thank jennifer m

Dear Jennifer,

We are happy that you enjoyed your time at Sandals Grande Antigua overall but we were saddened to hear that you were disappointed with the dining options. It is surprising to note that some of the food served was not to your expectations. This aspect of our operation is usually considered exceptional and very often received compliments from our guests and we are quite disappointed that you were not similarly impressed. We appreciate you taking the time to notify us of your concerns and I will be sharing your remarks with the management team for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope to welcome you back so that we can deliver the full luxurious Sandals experience on a future visit.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

March 22-29th. Just returned from Sandals Grande Antigua. Spent 7 fantastic days on the resort. There are two sides to this resort. Mediterranean (new) and Caribbean (old). My wife and I were on the Caribbean side and we are very happy as the views and landscaping were much more beautifull with all the flowers,plants,trees and walkways. So colorfull and fresh. I found the Mediterranean side not as appealling, wide open spaces and highrise hotels for guests, fancier and more modern. We had a Caribbean walk out club level veranda suite with a fantastic view of the ocean and awesome landscape. I would highly recomend the Caribbean side. Overall everything was easily accessible and walkways clearly marked. We spent one day at the big pool but found it to be a little boring, too many people and not that many activities going on. We spent most of our time at the other pool bar and what a difference. We met so many people everyone talked to each other, where you were from, what you do and shared other places we all stayed at before, great information. We all said this is a great resort and many booked for next years holiday. Now to the beach. We have been to other Sandals but this beach is the most beautifull, CLEAN and the finest white sand ever. Tons of room and a great bottom in the ocean. Spectaculor colors. Vendors on the beach are polite and walk away if you say no. Menu wise found it to be mediocore not all that much selection on the menu. My wife does not eat fish or seafood but there was always pork or beef to choose from. She did not starve by any means. All the staff were very pleasant and willing to do anything to accomodate us. I must say that we really took a liking to one very special girl named AKIKO. If you ever go to Sandals Antigua look her up and call her Angel. I think see will remember that, I always called her that. Akiko bent over backwards for us and always had a beautifull smile on her face. Way to go Angel, keep up the great work. I know you will go places. If you go to Mario's (which you will) bring a pillow, the seats are really low but the food is good. I would surely return to this resort, it was beautifull.

Room Tip: Stay on the Caribbean side close to everything.
3  Thank royrc
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was our 4th Sandals stay and to be honest the worst!! When we arrived, we had to wait for 45+ minutes to go thru the check in process even though I had already done the on-line check in. When we were escorted to our room the lady started up the stairs to our room. I quickly told her that I had book a beachfront WALK OUT room. She started with the sales pitch that the upstairs rooms were more private and so on. I again told her that I had not booked an upstairs room. She continued up the stair and with the sales pitch. I finally stopped dead in my tracks and had to get a little less than nice to her. I told her I paid for a WALK OUT room and that's what I wanted! When we went back to the office, she tried to tell me that I had called the day before we arrived and changed it (which I might add was NOT true). When we finally got the correct room, it was still another 35 minutes before our luggage was brought to us. (I could have carried it myself and had it when I wanted it). Our next encounter was on the beach. All of the other Sandals we have been to had exclusive beaches so you can imagine my surprise when there were kids running up and down the beach and throwing a baseball back and forth. I asked the security guard about it and she said all beaches in Antigua are open to the public. The next day the population on the beach was insane with tons of cruise ship tourists. For the price you pay to stay at Sandals, I would like to have an exclusive beach and not have to worry about getting hit in the head with flying baseballs. With the former being said, the resort was crawling with security guards and stopping you each time you came back from the beach to make sure you were a guest at Sandals. I understand that it was their job since the beach was public, but having to go thru a security checkpoint multiple times a day was a bit annoying. You almost felt like a criminal trying to enter your resort that you paid a very large amount of money in which to stay. On a minor note, this particular Sandals was voted the most romantic....can't see that at all. Never had any little special touches like the towel animals or fresh flowers on the bed like all the other Sandals resorts.

Room Tip: If you want a more private setting, stay on the Caribbean side.
4  Thank ULVRS809
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Hello ULVRS809,

We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your time at Sandals Grande Antigua. We apologize for any shortcoming on our behalf and we appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with us. Your feedback plays a key role in the process of bettering our services and I will be sending your remarks to our management for immediate review. We hope that this does not deter you from visiting with us in the future so we can deliver the complete luxurious Sandals experience to which you are accustomed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!