Our first trip to Sandals Grand Antigua was November 23-30. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would highly recommend this resort. This is our second Sandals (US) visit – we prefer Grande Antigua to Whitehouse. We have also visited the former Sandals (UK) property in Varadero, Cuba six times.
Food quality was very good. Our first dinner – at OK Corral – was a huge surprise to the upside: the mahi-mahi was perfectly grilled and the ribs were delicious. While none of the other dinners rose to the same quality, we were pleased with quality and variety all week. There are lots of food options – until 930pm, at least – and the Grab and Go in the Mediterranean village was a great, late afternoon option… try the roti!
Our room (Mediterranean – Venetian, second floor) was outstanding: spacious, comfortable, great view. We opted for concierge service, and we would highly recommend it. You really don’t need a stocked bar at an all-inclusive, but it was nice to return from the beach/pool with bubbly on ice. Our room might be the most luxurious we have ever had.
We did not find the pool/beach chair reservation to be a problem – stake out a chair at 7am, then go to the well-appointed gym, prior to a great breakfast at Eleanor’s or Mario’s.
About the beach: Nice sand, but very narrow, with a steep drop off in the water. We prefer the superb beach in Varadero, Cuba, but we found the pool environment enjoyable. That being said, it is a great place to pull up a chair and watch the sunset.
We appreciated that the entertainment at the main pool was not too invasive – a few events, a few announcements, but for the most part it was quiet and relaxing.
About the butler service: We have never opted for this service, and we don’t see the point – concierge service gives us what we need. We have no problem walking or swimming 50 feet to get a drink.
For the most part, the grounds are beautifully maintained. We appreciated the Sandals touches – double hammocks and loveseats beside fire pits. We loved sitting in those loveseats, looking up at the stars in the late evening.
The entertainment was generally very good, but Sandals should re-think seating arrangements – there were typically more people standing than sitting at evening shows outside the Drunken Duck. This can be easily fixed.
There were a couple of minor downsides. We did experience lots of bug bites – no sure of the source. We also felt that it would be nice if there was a dance club, a cigar bar or both somewhere on the property.
We’d encourage guests to take advantage of the in-room safe and the fact that this is a no-tip resort… there is no need to carry valuables.
One aspect of this resort that we really appreciated was that everything was EASY – getting into restaurants, finding a comfortable spot, shopping, etc.
The weather in late November was great – two minutes of rain most days, but blue skies for the most part and a high of 29C/84F. We plan to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish