“Great staff.....beautiful resort....can't wait to return”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Oxford, Michigan
“Great staff.....beautiful resort....can't wait to return”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We spent a week here the end of October for our 10th anniversary. We flew United airlines from Detroit to Newark leaving 3 hours late....picked up our luggage, went to the hotel then back to the airport in the am for our flight to Antigua. No problems with that flight, arrived @ airport went through immigration ect and then off to resort, short 20 min or so ride. Check I was easy, room wasn't ready so went to grab a pizza and couple drinks came back and was shown to our room by Albert. We stayed in the Mediterranean village, booked Monte Carlo HM suite (old name) the room could use freshening up..wood, paint ect and was smaller than we expected the location was good and could see the ocean if you really looked :) spent a few hours at the pool bar the first day and just had dinner at the Drunken Duck Pub, service and food was pretty good. Sunday was a day of rest :) walked the beach, hung out at the pool. We were down at the pool by 8:30 every morning and the chairs were starting to fill up with people's stuff, if you need shade you'll have to be down there by 9 if you don't have a butler. We ate at most of the restaurants with Mario's being our favorite, ate breakfast here when we had it and they have a great antipasto bar for dinner, ate there twice. Went to Eleanor's for our anniversary the service was good the food just ok, I had the pork chop and my husband had the lobster, which he didn't care for. Missed the returning guest dinner because it was the only day to get into Kimonos it was good, our table had a blast!!! Also ate at OK Corral, bad service and food. Bayside was good for lunch if you wanted buffet style, Barefoot for jerk chicken, ribs and sandwiches and of course the pizzeria was awesome. Even on a busy day we waited no more than 20 minutes and when it was that long the apologized. Never made it to Soy. The Beach Party was on Monday, it was rained out and moved inside Bayside. I felt bad cause they had everything set up and had to move it inside. They had some sort of entertainment going on most nights on both sides of the resort. Tues was chocolate night, smaller than some of the other resorts we've been to. Friday they had a jamboree where they had local dancers, food and crafts set up bonus.....drinks in coconuts! What we didn't like.......NO music at the Med pool except for the day they had the jamboree. A guest finally did bring down a speaker with his iPhone and music but it still wasn't the same. NEVER seen anyone clean that pool, the whole 7 days we were there. Someone did take a water sample once, it was getting pretty nasty around the edges with sunscreen ect. The vendors were pretty pushy the first few days but come the end of the week when I wanted to buy a painting, he couldn't be found so ended up buying one from the gallery. Only 2 tv's in the pub, not a big deal for some but everyone was crammed in the little library room to watch the World Series games. LOTS of Red Sox's fans (who beat our Tigers) so didn't matter much to us but heard some complaints. Trip back to the airport when just as we're pulling in the entrance we get a flat tire, he got us there though. Thanks to the staff and management who were readily available if needed, which we didn't. Thanks for the decorating of our room for our anniversary, most of all thanks again for the great time and memories that we make every time we visit a Sandals resort! We will definitely be back but next year we're off to St. Lucia.

4 Thank hquinn
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for your review.
We are delighted to hear that you had another fantastic time at Sandals Grande Antigua!
We appreciate all of the feedback that you provided us, as we are always wiling to perfect our service and provide our guest with the best vacation possible. I will be forwarding your concerns to our resort management team for further review.
We look forward to welcoming you to St. Lucia soon for an amazing time!
Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,769)
  • Polish first
Dorset
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Having done two cruises (Eastern Caribbean & Western Caribbean) in the last year or so (we visited 9 islands in total) we decided the Antiguans were by far the friendliest of the 9 islands and so decided to book our first Sandals holiday in Antigua, I was quite dubious prior to our trip because on our cruises especially in St Lucia & Jamaica we were pestered by aggressive sales people but in Antigua they are far less aggressive and after politely saying no to them they tend to leave you alone.

Having just returned from a week at the Sandals in Antigua I would like to highly recommend a stay here, the staff were very friendly and the whole place is like paradise with so many good restaurants and pools to use. The cleanliness & quality of furniture in the rooms is very good (we had a concierge room in the Caribbean quarter). The weather was 30 degrees C every day and although it rained a few days the rain didn't last long and it was dry and hot again within minutes.

We were made to feel very welcome when we visited the different restaurants and would like to praise especially Anne Marie and Dalicia in Eleanors, Kendra in Bayside and a lady whose name escapes me who cleaned my hat after one of the cheeky but lovely caribe grackle birds had dropped its business on me from above at the barefoot restaurant.
Althea in the main swim up pool bar was also very efficient and friendly too and made my wife's Birthday very special..

The only slight problem was getting a sunbed by the main pool and being bitten by the mosquitos especially at dusk.

Antigua is one of my favourite Islands in the world and although it is now independent from the UK it still appears to retain a lot of respect for its british heritage and I would love to go back again one day and stay at the Sandals resort. As well as the normal tours on the island it is well worth visiting the Viv Richards Cricket Ground and the Old Recreation Ground if you like your sports like me and its special I.M.O that two great derby winning racehorses have been named after two resorts on the island (Mill Reef & Shirley Heights).

Thank you Sandals Antigua for a great holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jim_lad_58
Hello and thank you for your review, Jim.
We are thrilled that we were able to exceed all your expectations and that you had an amazing time at Sandals Grande Antigua. Our staff will appreciate all your kind remarks and it was really our pleasure to have had you as our guest. We appreciate your feedback and will be forwarding your suggestions to the resort team.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for more adventures in paradise!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We normally travel an average of 8-10 weeks during Winter to beach destinations in Mexico and the Caribbean. After our travel agent insisted, we went for the first time to a Sandals in Antigua. The first face we saw in the lobby was a lady wearing a t-shirt who said: "we are short of staff and I'm helping with check-in, do you have your voucher?" we were never greeted formally i.e. "Welcome to Sandals/Antigua, how was your trip?" I thought this lady was perhaps the cleaning lady or someone's mother that just came in for the day to hep. Checking in took a while because we didn't have "the voucher" and the lady wasn't sure how to proceed…At the end of our not so smooth check in the lady said: "I also work for the spa, you want to make an appointment?" REALLY????? An appointment for what? She never told us about the services they offered!

The Good:
Great property along the beach, lots of restaurants along the water.
It's always easy to find a chair at the beach
Never felt crowed even though they were 100% occupied.
Good entertainment options - most nights 2 bands
Plenty of restaurants to chose from
Adults only
WI FI: very good throughout the property
Air Conditioning works great in the rooms
Activities: Zumba, Yoga etc…

The Bad:
SERVICE: SLOW and At least 50% percent of the waitstaff lacked service skills, they would not smile and it seemed like they were doing you a favor.
TOWELS: There are plenty of towel stations throughout the hotel, problem is it was very unpredictable, you never knew if you could find one. We usually go out walking at 7:00 to 10:00, and in most days we never saw a single towel until past 11:00 AM.
SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE

AVERAGE:
FOOD: They do have some good dishes like the Rib eye Steak at Mario's, coconut soup at Eleanor's, or Tikka Chicken Massala at The Druncken Duck that were pretty good.
ROOMS: very small balconies. (Bathrooms were very functional and nice)
SECURITY along the beach: It is great to have security, problem is that while you are laying down reading, napping, or so… if you happened to have a security employee close by, all you would hear is a radio and talking of the security with vendors and other employees.

Towards the end of our week, I called the concierge and asked "what's check out time" (simple question I thought) for what she sounded absolutely confused by saying with a "what a stupid question kind of attitude": "What do you mean? Check out? I don't know…it depends at what time are you leaving..I guess I don't know how long it takes you to get ready?" Anyway the next day we received a letter from the hotel saying that check-out was at 11:00 (which we chose to disregard after that call).

Perhaps is the Caribbean/Antiguan culture that seems slow and somehow unhappy to be working, but I think that maybe Sandals is not doing such a great job with training…and making them understand that if there is no tourists…there is no job…

EXCEPTIONS: This people made a difference in our experience due to their smile and willingness to help: Andrea (Mario's), Kia & Julia (Pizzeria), Delicia (Eleanor's), and Teresina at the main counter.

We will NOT come back to this hotel, however we were already booked for next week in Sandals Bahamas… (again, our travel agent..) forcing us to give them a second chance…

I'll be posting my review then...

Room Tip: If you are in the new building, you have to be on floor 3 or higher to get an ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Deniseworlds
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review, Denisee.
We are pleased to see that you really enjoyed the resort and its amenities! Antigua is indeed a beautiful island.
However, we regret to hear that we did not meet all your expectations, particularly in terms of service. We have many guests who have been very impressed with the high level of service they have received from our staff and we are disappointed that you did not have a similar experience. As hoteliers, we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review. I will be sending your concerns to our resort management team for further discussion and action as needed.

We look forward to welcoming you to Sandals Royal Bahamian and to showcasing the best of what Sandals has to offer.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed at the resort back in March 2013 and it was excellent. This is a great property, with great amenities and excellent restaurants. Mario's was especially excellent as the chefs were from Italy and food preparation was exceptional. Also, food selection whether it was at breakfast or supper was incredible (you could not have improved upon it). The fact that they had a Kimonos on the property was an added bonus as you could show up for sushi (which was superb), or sit down for a Japanese display of good humour and good food prepared in front of you. Take advantage of Red Lane and take a couples massage. It was a relaxing and sensational experience. Beach wand pool areas were fantastic with lots of water sports activities. The service was excellent overall but not the same level at Barefoot (beachfront for lunch), but the jerk chicken was excellent. Airport ride to the resort was less than 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor and did not have a view because of all the greenery; however, it wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I travel A LOT.
We decided to spend more than usual on this trip as it was our honeymoon. We chose Sandals, it was expensive and we had high expectations. The resort, location, and beach at sandals Antigua is absolutely fabulous. Our only disappointments were with our room and the service. The room was very plain. The bathtub and sink was rusty. I immediately let the hotel know that we were disappointed with the room. Unfortunately they were fully booked and couldn't do anything for us. As for the service, many of the staff seemed like they didn't want to be there and that made us feel uncomfortable at times. All in all, we are very easy going and can have fun anywhere. This was a very relaxing and fun vacation even with the minor shortfalls.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank The_Grezwells
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Full disclosure, this will be a lengthy review and hopefully bits and pieces will help those such as myself who either were thinking about booking or had booked and were curious about specific details.

Arrival at Airport -

Very small airport which means pretty quick from plane to curbside with baggage. Beware the baggage handlers just outside customs which will yell the name of resorts to you hoping yours is the one they say so that they can grab your bags and lead the way to expect a tip. If you need help with bags they are probably great, we could easily handle ours for the 2 min walk so just ignore and pass by if you do not want help.

At the curb Sandals has a desk and will get you set up and into a van quickly. These are mini vans in US terms and not buses like you might get elsewhere but are clean and ours had AC which was nice.

Ride to the resort was a bit bumpy and a few windy roads through neighborhoods but was only about 15 minutes which was great!

Arrival at Resort -

Arriving at resort they grab the bags and lead you into the concierge lobby where they provide wet towels and a drink with snacks. We then waited for our butler who met us and showed us to the room. The bellhop delivered the bags 10-15 min later.

Room -

Once at the room the butler gave a tour of the layout and went over the paperwork with us. I think if you don't have butler service they do the paperwork in the lobby. (Hint - I wouldn't get butler service again but more on that later).

After paperwork but left us with cell phone to contact them and left us to our beautiful room.

Romeo and Juliet Suite -

The room was great, very well shown in the pictures on the website. Sometimes those can be deceiving but in this case were very close and I was happy with that. What you see is what you will get.

Resort Overview -

The resort overall is gorgeous, very well kept grounds which is pretty impressive as this place is large. It really is like 2 separate resorts joined together and each has some really great features, places, etc.

Pools -

The pools are great, I will say that we spent our time at two of them, the main pool and the carib pool. The main pool is great for lots of people, socializing, noise, music, great bar service and fun!

The carib pool, just off the path a little is a little slice of heaven if you enjoy a few less people, fantastic bar service, better than main pool due to so many less people, and really fun afternoon pool volleyball. Trust me, you don't have to be good, just have fun.

We didn't make it to the other pools but there are a few more in the caribbean village that were small and had no bar. Very quiet and hidden away if you want peace and relaxation.

Restaurants -

A hint here, my wife and I do not eat seafood so it limited our desires at certain restaurants.

Tex Mex - This was our favorite by FAR!!! Service was spectacular, atmosphere was amazing sitting around the grill area upstairs where the breeze is unreal. Food great! Chili was spicy and a true flavor explosion! I loved it!

Marios - Italian, pretty good, we live just outside NYC so it's tough to judge certain foods against what we are used to. But the service was good and it was an overall good place for breakfast buffet and dinner one night.

Pizza - Great, Great, Great....perfect place for lunch as it is near pool and perfect sized meal, ice cold beer and if you want more than one....giddy up order 2!

Bayside Restaurant - We went here one night for the beach BBQ which was moved inside due to the threat of weather. The food was okay, I would recommend the chicken fajitas.

Cafe de Paris - GO HERE!!! It is a coffee and pastry shop hidden in the St Marks Square and it is phenomenal! If you like strong coffee, hot or iced you will love this place. And the pastries and sweets are delicious. What's more, the ladies working there are absolutely amazing and so friendly!

Drunken Duck - Formerly Cricketeers Pub was a huge disappointment! If they really call this the "sports bar" they must think sports is watching old ladies knit blankets. The place has one small TV completely out of the way. Then they have another TV in a totally different room removed from the bar area. Food is way below average pub fare. Not sure if there is any redeeming value with this place other than the staff is very friendly as they are throughout this resort.

Beach - The beach area is very nice. We have been to St. Lucia, Maarten, Aruba, Hawaii, St. Thomas, Bermuda etc etc etc. Many many islands and I can say this beach had some of the softest sand anywhere. The water was a nice temp and clarity similar to Aruba in my mind. There are vendors as many have mentioned but true to other reviews a few no's here and there and we never encountered anyone being aggressive at all. They offer, is you are interested say yes, if not a no and they head off to the next person.

Gym - For anyone who cares or wants to work out. We did about every other day. They have quite an extensive offering of machines, weights, etc. Also tennis courts.

Finally Butler Service - I will start by saying the ONLY reason we had the butler service was that it came with the room that we wanted. Otherwise if it had been an option you pay for I would have opted out. Although after tips you really do pay for it.

So we had 3 butlers that rotate and cover from about 7am to 10pm. They reserve chairs by pool or beach, stock coolers with beer, water, soda, etc. Long story short, they can do pretty much anything you ask and are very friendly. However, maybe we are just not high maintenance people but we barely used them. Other than having them reserve chairs so we didn't have to get up early, they didn't do much.

They decorated the room one night, and did some other thoughtful things. However, at times I found them to be more bothersome than helpful. A few days they called the room phone at 9am when we were sleeping asking if we need things. They would call throughout the day to see if we needed things. I get that they are trying to be helpful but it almost started to feel like they were trying to do things to get a tip. I would have thought by day 5,6 or 7 they would realize the routine of us not needing the 9am call or calls throughout the day. We ordered pizza to be delivered poolside one day which we thought would be nice but it took over an hour for them to deliver it and the order was wrong. We could have walked 2 minutes made the order, gone back 15 min later and picked them up ourselves.

All in all they tried and were friendly but being someone who is not lazy and likes things done right, I'd just prefer to do things myself, not be bothered if I want to sleep in, and not have to tip because it's the right thing for 3 people who did relatively very little for us. I would select a room below the butler level in the future.

Final Tip - This seemed to be not well known at all and not offered by the resort even the butlers....there is FREE Wifi service that works pretty well throughout the resort both in the room and by the pool, beach, etc. Yes it is free. You can pay for an upgraded version if you want to video chat, stream movies etc but the basic was perfect for internet surfing, texting over wifi to friends with iPhones in the US etc. Also, there is a Sandals calling app that you can download and you can then make free phone calls to the US and Canada over that same wifi network. Hope that little tip help you have a great vacation.

As always remember vacation anywhere is what you make of it. This place is great! The food is very average to below average but the setting is amazing! Enjoy it for what it is! You will not regret booking this resort!

Room Tip: Stayed in Romeo and Juliet Suite on 6th floor. Great ocean views. Huge room with separate living and...
11 Thank arzkats
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Totally not worth the money. We were bombarded by the locals who would not take no for an answer and parked their jet skis and boats right in your view. I felt like I was swimming in fuel. I understand they are trying to make money however you could not even act like you were sleeping they would stand over you and wake you up!! They asked us for the drinks in our cooler. We could only stand it two days we stayed at the pool the rest of the time. Sandals messed up our flights and we were stranded in Antigua and had to purchase new tickets and still have not been reimbursed it has been over a month already. They originally messed up my name on the ticket and I knew it would be a problem and after telling them this at least five different phone calls later they told me I have to call 3 days before travel. Right before my wedding. They kept putting me off back and forth saying it was the airline then the airline would say it is them. Now they are still doing that with the reimbursement of this extra ticket. The food is really bad. There were birds perched above the buffets on the chandeliers in their nests. They would fly down and lay on the foods get what they wanted and fly back up. So GROSS. Also if that is enough for you and you really want to go and you like snack foods, make sure you bring your own pretzels or chips - 10$ in gift shop!! The grounds are gorgeous and I loved being there with the love of my life. We had fun together, however I would want someone to tell me these things, I would've went elsewhere.

Room Tip: we had the private swim up room - it was nice because we wanted to be alone and the beach was not re...
4 Thank 473amyd
Hello and thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Antigua, Amy.
We regret to hear that your stay was not as expected. We strive to uphold the highest standards of service and quality. Our staff goes through 120 hours of rigorous training each year to ensure we are providing excellent guest experiences. We have many guests that boast of our luxurious inclusions, water sports, fine dining, accommodations and quality of staff but as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and your feedback is appreciated.

I would be happy to look into this matter on your behalf and will be contacting you privately for additional information. We do request that while on resort you notify us of anything that does not meet your standards. We are always willing to work with you to make sure you walk away feeling like your stay was money well spent.

Thank you once again for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
#1 of 3 in Bolans
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!