“Wonderful Stay, Wonderful staff”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This review is for our stay from 24 August to 7th September 2013

Firstly let me start by saying we have a very special place in hearts for sandals Antigua, we stayed here 10 years ago as our first experience of Sandals, we have stayed at a couple of other sandals and beaches resorts since but always wanted to return to Antigua. We were concerned that the beautiful resort would be ruined by the more modern Mediterranean village. Our fears were put to rest the moment we entered the resort, we had requested to stay in the Caribbean grove and in the same buildings we had before and they did not disappoint, it was as if we had been here only yesterday, the gardens are lush and beautiful the staff are welcoming and friendly. Although the rooms are now a little tired and maybe in need of a further refurbishment they are clean and tidy and we were very happy with our room. Our room was a second floor concierge room in block 8

We had read reviews that mention problems at the airport and check in at the resort, but we found this no problem at all. After landing and clearing immigration we went straight to the sandals desk and were immediately put into a car for just the two of us, when we arrived at the resort we were greeted with cold towels and champagne and after a simple uncomplicated check in we were shown to our room where our case were waiting for us

The newer Mediterranean side has been blended in very well with the old resort, although in our opinion the large building is not what we would expect in the Caribbean it is well designed and does not look too overpowering. We were shown the rooms in the Mediterranean building and although they are more modern we feel that there was more charm and character in the Caribbean grove.

We were worried after reading some reviews that the resort was extremely large and getting to the restaurants and other pools would be a long walk, let me say that the resort is not very big and that getting around it takes no time at all. We have stayed in St Lucia were you have to get a shuttle to some of the restaurants so compared to that this is a tiny resort

We stayed here in August and the occupancy was only 50% so it was easy to get a bed by the pool with shade, reservation at restaurants and a drink at the bar I should imagine that at full occupancy this would not be the case and finding a bed around the pool or getting a reservation at one of the restaurants could be a problem. On problems, I would suggest to the management that they monitor the pool more closely, the pool floats that are for everybody are sometimes taken from the pool and kept by selfish people who seem to think that they have the sole use of them, also I have no objection to people smoking around the pool but do they really have to float around in the pool puffing on their cigars with no consideration for other putting ah into glasses that are then used to serve drinks This is not the fault of the hotel but should be monitored and stopped

Restaurants.

Food is a very personal thing everybody had different tastes so what one person likes another may not, so this is our opinion as people who like to eat out a lot at home and like nice food

We ate at most of the restaurants and overall the quality is good. We had no big problem with the service or the wait time for the food but I suspect this is down to the low occupancy levels

Welcome back Dinner. Food was nice and it was nice to meet the staff on a more informal basis, one thing I would like to suggest would be the general manager perhaps go round to all the tables during the evening and try and speak to all the guests, also round tables may be better, we were at the end of table of 10 and were not able to speak to the department manager at the end of our table.

KIMONOS is good fun and Eric did a brilliant job at the table entertaining us with his knife skills and his singing,

OK Corral, food is probably the tastiest of all the restaurants, its not necessarily the best but by far the tastiest. The service is very good, the pulled pork Tacos are by far the best thing on the menu, but all the starters are great, the chilli beef melts in your mouth and the shrimps are beautiful. Tiwana and Nakisha are lovely they served us every time we went there and were always wonderful they made our last meal very specials by making a special arrangement on the table and had a special dessert made to wish us a safe journey.

Mario’s, wasn't overly impressed although the food was tasty the service good but was expecting more after reading previous reviews

Bayside, food was good had a little wait for the food, found it strange the way orders were processed, people who were there before us were still waiting for food after we had left and a couple who came in after us who ordered the same time and the same food as us were enjoying their entrees while we were still waiting for our starters.

Bella Napoli Pizzeria. Pizzas are very good and the service was quick

Cafe de Paris, lovely pastries and coffee, all the staff are very friendly and polite

Drunken Duck, the food is good pub food, I would suggest anyone who is reading this tries the Sunday Roast (Sunday 12:30 to 2:30) it's not very busy as it appears only the Brits are in there but the David the chef works hard to prepare the food and his Yorkshire puddings are home made and lovely.We would like to give a special mention to Claudine and Laura , they were so welcoming and friendly and were there to serve us as soon as we walked in

Eleanor's, we ate here 3 times, first time was brilliant, second time my fish was undercooked and my wife’s lobster was not good, the chef Kevin, Was on top of it and as soon as we told them the food was not good he was at our table apologising and asking if he could prepare us something else, we declined as we were put off by the food but promised to return another night and he told us he would make it up to us. We returned a couple of nights later, we were told they were out of Lobster so we asked if we could have steak, this was not on the menu this evening but we had the fillet the first time we were there and it was delicious, Kevin came to the table and told us he only had New York Strip and would prepare it for us, we were served the steak and all I can say is that after the first bite we got up from the table left the restaurant and didn't return for the rest of the holiday.

Barefoot by the sea, lunch was not good but the evening meals were very nice

Make sure you look at all the wood carvings on the property, they are wonderful and make use of the dead trees, rather than cutting them down they are carved into birds, dolphins and a variety of other creatures, all this is done by the extremely talented wood daddy who once worked on the beach but now works for sandals. Sandals should do this on every property, not only does it add to the beauty of the gardens but makes use of the damaged or dying tress rather than just cut them down and leave them.

Check out Ricky the artist in the courtyard, he is very talented and always happy to chat and show is artwork

All the staff we came across were friendly and helpful, always saying hello with a smile and always polite and helpful

Overall the resort is fantastic, so much choice that if you’re not happy with one place there are plenty of alternatives, I don't think there is a lot to complain about. A few little niggles but ultimately the main problems seem to be down to some of the guests, some are just downright rude to the staff and wonder why the staff aren't polite back, what's wrong with a please and thank you when you ask for something, or taking towels from the sun beds and putting them in the used towel bins provided or putting glasses back on the table or counter after you have finished them. The staff work very hard and are always polite and helpful and always willing to try and make your holiday very special

We would like to say a big thank you to all the staff for making our holiday a fantastic and memorable 14 days and very much look forward to returning in the not distant future

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, the Caribbean side is very quite and the gardens are beautiful
12  Thank Fraz103
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for your review of Beaches Turks and Caicos. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and got a chance to try many of the dining options! We offer many different options so that there is always something for each guest's liking.
We appreciate the feedback and note the concerns you have mentioned. We encourage feedback, as it helps us to identify areas we can improve upon. We are always willing to make changes to ensure each guest leaves feeling that they had the most amazing vacation.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed 31 August for 1 week. This is a lovely resort in a great location.

On arrival we were a bit disappointed as they didn’t have us down as repeat guests so we had to inform them it was our 5th visit to Sandals & ask for our repeat guest dinner invitation.

Our room was in the Caribbean side ground floor with pool shared by the block and close to all amenities. It was very clean & spacious

The beach is a lovely white sandy beach with plenty of sun loungers & beach shelters, although the best loungers are usually taken up by the Butlers! The ocean although not crystal clear is very calm. Beach vendors are not a problem if you say no thank you they will go away and they have the most amusing sayings. They are harmless & just trying to earn a bit of cash.

We stayed mainly by the Mediterranean pool plenty of sun loungers but all the prime spots again are taken up by the Butlers. They had the entire front row & had put pool floats on each pair of loungers. Most days the gusts would not turn up until after lunch if at all. This could be a real problem in the busy season. We always managed to find a nice spot mainly because we didn't want to sit under a parasol or in the shade so the loungers we got nobody else wanted anyway.

The pool floats - I don’t know why people hoard them they are for pool use by everyone not to be stuffed behind someone’s sun lounger all day. The Butlers were guilty of this along with others that seemed to think they were there just for their use.

The food was generally good but after an excellent meal at Marios the second visit was very disappointing as the service was extremely slow & food not up to the same standard. Kimonos was a good Teppanyakii although I have had better. Bayside was good & Barefoot good for snacks we didn’t eat there in the evening nor did we eat at the pub as we were only there for a week we didn’t have enough time to everywhere. Eleanors was good my partner had coconut soup & lobster which he said was very good but not my taste. We had filet mignon at the OK Corral which was good. Oh not forgetting the Cafe de Paris ice cream, cakes & coffees all very tasty. The repeat guest meal was not as good we have had in the past at Montego Bay & Whitehouse but it is a nice gesture.

All in all we had an excellent time & would return.

The only downside is definitely the Butlers saving all the prime spots & pool floats. Maybe they should have their own pool.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank NJOXO

Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Antigua Resort. We are pleased to hear that your overall experience was a lovely one! We appreciate our guest's feedback as it is always helpful to know which area needs more attention and which areas are our strongest. We take great pride in providing our guest with best in quality and service!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I just read a few reviews that have been posted just before I wrote this and as usual I wonder if some of these people were at the same resort that we were at. My wife, myself, our daughter and son-in-law arrived August 25th for 7 days. Got off the airplane, picked up our luggage and proceeded outside where we were met by a rep who told us to go over to the Sandals Kiosk in the parking lot. In no time we were in a minivan and on our way to the resort. Check in was quick just filled out a form, gave them a credit card and we were taken to our room. The room was in the Caribbean Section which I found nice but a little tired. Our daughter complained and we were moved the following day to the Mediterranean Village to a lovely room.
We ate breakfast at Mario's most days and it was excellent. Lunch was pizza some days or The Barefoot Grill which had excellent food. You need to try the pork ribs. I had them 3 times for lunch. The wraps and ceasar salad are also great. We had dinner at numerous places and were never disappointed by the food or the service. Service at the bars was always quick.
The resort was just over half full during our stay. We had photos taken by one of their photographers but were not really happy with them. The beach was lovely and always clean and we were not bothered by the locals once you said "not interested" they left you alone.If you want a good spot around the pool I suggest you get out early as some of the prime ones, the butlers get out there and reserve them. I was out there before the butlers.

Bill and Kim

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Casper122151
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for your review, Bill and Kim! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua. It sounds as if you and your family enjoyed our resort immensely and the staff did a wonderful job of taking care of you all. We are happy to not only have met your expectations but exceeded them.
We look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was my first Sandals vacation, and I have to say it exceeded my expectations! I have stayed at other all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and none have provided an equal overall experience! My wife and I stayed 6 nights for our honeymoon, leaving on 9/1. After reading many reviews, I had concerns about the staff, the beach area and the birds eating my food!

Airport: Our arrival wasn't bad, it was a Monday and it appeared that our flight was the only one landing at that time so we were getting on a rickety (no air conditioning) shuttle van about 30 minutes after landing!

Check in: We stayed on the Caribbean side and the check in process was...odd. We arrived on the shuttle with 3 other couples and they first asked us to stand aside in the Courtyard area, then within about a minute, took us and 2 other couples around a corner to a little log cabin type structure that I believe was the "Concierge check-in" office. Everyone was seated, offered their welcome drink (a glass of wine) and then after about 10 minutes a lady walked up to each couple (by this time there 4 or 5 in the room) and asked for their check in vouchers. She collected them, walked quietly back to her desk and started typing. One-by-one, she went back to each couple, presented them with a small folder containing their room keys and paperwork, then sent them out the door with a host/hostess....I just found this very strange because there was no personalized touch at all. But, it was a fairly quick process so I wasn't complaining...

Room: We were escorted through the Caribbean side grounds and up to our room which was just what I had booked (a ground level, pool walkout suite atop the "Sunset Bluff" area). First impression was...not so great. As other reviews have pointed out, the Caribbean side shows it's age. The tile on the floor and in the bathroom were outdated and it certainly wasn't a luxurious feel. BUT, it was clean, the air worked great, the location turned out to be ideal and it had the feel of a true "Caribbean" resort, based on my past experiences. The walking distance to the Euro side (Drunken Duck, Marios, Main Pool) was equal to the Caribbean side (Eleanors, Bayside, Piano bar) and the main Caribbean pool/bar was less than a minute walk....not to mention we had a very nice pool right out our front door that was rarely occupied by ANYONE, which was nice for some morning lounging in the peace and quiet before we had lunch and moved on to the beach, Caribbean pool or Main pool...which were all obviously much more lively! I have to mention Latoya at the Caribbean Pool bar, my wife and I have a special rum drink for hot and sunny days and after explaining it to her once, she started making them for me everytime I walked up without asking for one...even if I only wanted a water :-).

Pools: The Main Pool was fairly crowded and loud...only went there one day, not really our preference plus when we were lucky enough to get a pool lounger, we left it by our chair to go get a drink and was only gone for about 4 minutes and someone took it...no big deal but I didn't want to play strategy games to keep ahold of one. The Caribbean Pool was much better in my opinion...smaller crowd, easier to get a chair and lounger if we wanted one...plus pool volleyball was there on all days but 1! Which leads me to Maurice...an intern in the entertainment dept, great guy and made volleyball (pool & sand) very enjoyable.

Beach: Very nice, soft sand and blue water. I've been on nicer beaches in Turks and Caicaos and the Bahamas, but certainly enjoyed this one. The water seemed to be a bit cloudy in comparison but again...no complaints about it. The vendors are there, and yes they want to sell you excursions, necklaces, t-shirts, dresses, etc....but a "no thank you", "I don't have cash with me" or "I'm just here to enjoy the beach" sends them along their way.

We did rent a jet ski which we thoroughly enjoyed and bought some necklaces from a very nice local named Bridgette.

Restaurants: Eleanors was the best, we dined there twice. Had the lobster on Friday AND a side of the Jerk Chicken...food was amazing! Kimonos was also very good, our chef Eric was quite the entertainer. Marios and Barefoot were also good for dinner, the Drunken Duck was great for late night snacks...all in all, every meal we had was good, no complaints about the food at all! Oh, and the birds...as I read in one review...DON'T FEED THEM! If you give them food, that's when they start swarming in around you.

Staff: I read many reviews where people complained about the staff, overall, I was happy with their service and attitudes. There were a few who clearly didn't like what they were doing, and even acted disrespectful...but I wasn't about to let a couple sour apples spoil the job well done from the majority of the employees! Special mention goes to the afore noted, Latoya and Maurice...plus Mario and Ashmaine at the Drunken Duck. Sammy who served us dinner at Barefoot on our final night, and Laura, the server at the Drunken Duck.

In the big picture, there are some imperfections...but you can't go to the Caribbean and expect there not to be. I go there for the beach, pools, drinks and relaxation. If having someone pamper me and wait on me hand and foot is what I needed, I'd go to a Ritz-Carlton!

6  Thank Caribbean_Lover_07

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the kind thoughts you have of our staff members and it is wonderful that you have so many nice memories of them. We are pleased to know that we not only met your expectations but overall exceeded them!
We look forward to your next stay with us and welcoming you back to paradise!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have just recently returned from our vacation at Sandal's Grand Antigua. Our stay at the resort was from August 28th through September 3rd 2013. My trip was not what I expected. My complaints began when we arrived at the Sandal's transfer desk right outside the airport and was told that our transfer would be a few minutes. After standing there sweating a few minutes I asked again and was directed to carry our luggage to a nearby van. Our luggage was loaded up including that of about 6 other guest. We all got in the van with NO air conditioning, sweating, had to roll the windows down and off we went to the resort. When we arrived we were greeted with a cold towel and were offered to go sit down and wait for check in. The champagne arrived about ten minutes later as did some appetizer's that were not very appetizing.

After check in we arrived at our room and it looked to be an overall nice room, however it was very warm. So we cranked the thermostat down a bit and then later a bit more. We had it set on 60 and it never did really cool. I went down to the desk and complained and they sent the maintenance guy up a few minutes later only to tell us that their cooling system runs off of water and the coolest the room will ever get is 74 degrees. Needless to say he did nothing, said he was going to go check a valve to make sure it was working properly. The entire time we stayed there the room never cooled. We slept without covers with the fan on high speed.

The next disappointment was the bathroom. God bless you if you need to use the toilet. The toilet is in a small separate room that has a vent on the outside wall with a screen over it to let the hot humid air come in and it cannot be closed. Get ready to SWEAT! The vanity area was also very humid, no air ducts in the bathroom at all. Besides this, the receptacle in the vanity area did not work either so I had to dry my hair in the hall area.

Additional complaints include the online menus which list selections that are not available. The OK Corral online menu included filet mignon, so we had planned to have dinner there one night. There is no filet mignon on the menu there or anywhere at this resort. After that disappointment we went to eat breakfast at the Bayside restaurant before our snorkeling trip only to find there were birds everywhere picking at the leftovers on people's plates. After we got a plate from the buffet , I look towards the buffet and they were picking at the buffet. So we got up and left and ate at Mario's which is indoors. That was a pleasant experience and the food was pretty good, however it's only open for breakfast and dinner. For lunch we lived on pizza because the hamburgers were not good, and besides that you had a choice of hotdogs or nachos. If you want an alcoholic drink bring your liquor from your room to add to the drinks they fix. You will never get a buzz even if you ask for a double shot when they fix them. We heard this from several people there at the resort. This is not what I expect when I pay $550 a day.

Another disappointment was the cabana's by the pool, room service, etc is all at an extra charge. You've got to be kidding?

The beach was really nice but the water was not crystal clear. We went to other beaches that were nicer. On the beach the people from the island are very friendly and they sell their merchandise along the beach and ask you if you want to purchase their goods. However, once you tell them no they don't bother you again until the next day :)

This was my first Sandal's vacation and I will not be going back there, what a BIG disappointment for the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cajunwoman01
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations.
We want to make sure future guests do not have similar feedback and will take action by notifying the appropriate departments of your remarks - including our maintenance team.
As hoteliers, we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just got back from this resort. Got to stay in one of the plunge pool butler suites. OMG! Came back from dinner on the night before check out to find flower petals leading to a bubble bath. Food was fabulous. Pool is huge. Staff is wonderful. beautiful soft white sand beach with most watersports included including SCUBA diving (basic - upcharge for night or deeper dives about $90 each). If you want to jet ski (not included) bring cash and go see Vernon on the beach near the Bayside restaurant. Tell him Kathi sent you! He had the best deal.

Room Tip: Even the entry level rooms are spacious and well kept. No matter what level room you choose you'...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Kathi E
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We visited Sandals Grande Antigua from August 18 to August 24 2013 for our wedding anniversary. We had previously visited The Whitehouse in Jamaica and Emerald Bay in the Bahamas. Both were Sandals resorts and we had great experiences there. I cannot say the same for our Antigua experience. Weeks prior to the trip we completed the on line check in process to prevent us from having to wait once we got to the resort. Even though we did this ahead of time we still had to wait one hour before being taken to our room. Once we got to the room the temperature was 83 degrees and was very uncomfortable. Thinking that the maid or someone forgot to turn the air down we adjusted the thermostat and unpacked some of our belongings and went to get something to eat. Upon coming back to the room the temperature had not changed and was unbearable in the room. We went to the front desk and requested a different room and had to wait 25 minutes for a Manager to come. While waiting for a Manager we started talking to other guests who informed us that room service was not included in the room unless you had a butler room. My husband and I specifically went through all the room choices on line and selected a room because it said concierge/room service. How can you promote a 5 Star Diamond Award and all the accolades this resort has and not even have room service?? I paid less at Sandals Whitehouse and Sandals Emerald Bay and both those resorts included room service. It was not just me and my husband but many of the guests were discussing this at the pool as well. When I asked the Manager about this she said starting September 1st they would be offering this at the resort...really? Why could they not offer it then at the resort? I was told by the gentleman that took us to our room upon arriving that the resort was at a very low capacity of guests so why this could not be offered especially at this nice of a resort is beyond me. Finally we got another room and immediately adjusted the air. The entire time during our stay the air never got below 75 degrees. There are no vents in the bathroom so while your trying to get ready for a nice dinner you sweat like crazy and cannot wait to get out of the room for some comfort. We called Maintenance twice and it still was never fixed. I'm a Senior Regional Property Manager and oversee 7 apartment communities. So I clearly know about customer service, wait time and trying to achieve a great overall experience to hopefully get the customer to return to either my property or my other sister properties. I believe there was a main regulator that did not let any of the units at the Mediterranean Village get below 75 degrees. On the elevator and visiting with other guests they all said the same thing.....that there unit was very hot. I wish now that I would not have paid the extra money to stay at the Mediterranean Village but stayed at the Caribbean Village.

We were so excited to see the beautiful beach at the resort after looking at it on line for months leading up to our arrival. The beach was indeed beautiful, however, we could not relax at the beach or even walk on the beach without being bothered by all the locals trying to sell their stuff on the beach. I was so upset that we had paid all this money and had to be bothered our entire time by the locals on the beach. The resort had security at all the check points leading in to the resort on the beach but many of these security officers were talking to the locals and truly did not appear like they would enforce anything that could have happened just there to get a pay check. On the other Sandals resorts we have visited they had private beaches and allowed the locals to come in one day per week to sell their merchandise so we as guests could choose if we wanted to look and buy their product not be bothered at the beach the entire time. On the first night of our stay my husband and I wanted to walk out on the beach at night to put our feet in the water and the security officer told us they could not allow it insinuating it was not safe. This was the first time in staying at resorts out of the country that we did not feel entirely safe. The staff at the resort were also not as friendly as we have experienced at other resorts in the past and the food was just marginal. Also, to top it off I bought my son a nice shirt from the gift shop to take back with us and realized once I got home and opened the bag the sensor was still on the shirt. Now I have to see if any local department stores can remove this for me so I can give as a gift to my son.

Lastly, I would not ever stay at this resort again. Although, the grounds and ocean were very beautiful it did not out weigh the other things I mentioned above to spend hard earned money at this resort. We go out of the country every year and have enjoyed our first two Sandals trip but will have to decide if we will take another Sandals trip again based on this experience. If we do we will clearly have lots of questions before booking our next trip to ensure there are no surprises.

Room Tip: Clarify if room service is included in your room and be prepared for the locals selling their mercha...
14  Thank Lisa J
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Jumby Bay Island
Jumby Bay Island
#1 of 16 in St. John's

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!