“Great Anniversary Vacation, but won't return” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
“Great Anniversary Vacation, but won't return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I spent our 10 year Anniversary here at SGA. I booked directly through Sandals. Booking was average, nothing special, as far as service goes. They did there job, gave me all the info & took my money, nothing to make me feel super excited about.
Which is exactly how the actual vacation was.
We booked the Romeo & Juliet Suite on the Med side with Butler Service.
So here's a overview of our stay:
FIRST-If u can afford to add the extra service of the Butler, DO IT! It was so worth it for us. Actually the only thing that stood out for us was the spectacular service from our Butlers. Trisha & Geoffrey. They went above & beyond.
Food-Overall, it was very good. We are not very picky about our food. Most Favorite was Eleanor's, husband loved the lobster, so much, he ordered another lobster tail after he finished the first one. Least Favorite, OK Corral. This maybe not be directly influenced by the food, because it was pretty good, but the service was HORRIBLE. We enjoyed the food & view, but hurried through dinner to get outta there. Barefoot has amazing quesadillas & jerk chicken. We had this delivered to us by the pool one day & it was just perfect! Pizza was also a favorite poolside. Mario's is the BEST for breakfast, wonderful buffet style with lots of choices.
Oh, we did not care for Kimonos either, not our kinds of flavors.
Cafe De Paris was perfect for late night snacks & the frozen coffee drinks were delicious!
Room was AMAZING! I always said, it really doesn't matter what room u stay in because all u do it sleep, but my mind is totally changed after staying in this suite, 7701. It was beautiful & the view/balcony was the BEST!
Pool was nice, we had our Butlers reserve our chairs so we could have shade. Without them reserving them, I don't think we would have enjoyed the pool as much, because we aren't those people that wake up early to reserve chairs & there just aren't enough chairs with umbrella. Swim up bar service was good, not great.
Red Lane Spa was AMAZING! I had the hot stone massage by, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe by Eve or Eva. Hands down best massage of my life! They did not hassle me about buying products. She asked me once but after saying no, that was it.
We did not try the beach, because we talked to a couple different people and they said they were hassled way too much by the local vendors, so we didnt even try the beach.
We did the Xtreme Circumnavigation Tour. Stingray City was the highlight, with snorkeling at the Pillars of Hercules a close second. Only thing I was not pleased with was the lunch. Food was actually very good, but it is very hard to find a place in the shade to enjoy it. It was not comfortable at all sitting on a tree stump with a plate in my lap. A bit of advice is sit towards the back under the canopy in the boat. We ended up in the front & it was very bumpy/jarring at times. Some of the bumps were painful to my back. Also when we toured the Dockyard, we sat & baked in the sun for what felt like 30-40 minutes.
Overall, it was a vacation to remember, but it just wasn't spectacular. Which is what I was expecting, especially for how much money we spent.
Great to experience, but we won't return.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Misty F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,712)
  • Polish first
Mitchell, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We COMPLETELY AGREE with the review done by Suzy P!! We traveled as a group of 3 couples all from South Dakota.. (no we dont ride horses and buffalo here either). My husband and I had never stayed at a Sandals but have dont other all inclusive resorts and think that for the money this place was not up to par! One of the other couples have stayed at several other Sandals and said they are nothing like this one. If you are going to spend the money definitely check into other places :) BESIDE Anne Marie at Eleanor's (she is the manager and is amazing, such a genuinely nice person and sooo accommodating!) There was a photographer, I cant remember his name at all it started with an A but he was awesome as well! Other than those 2 everyone else was crabby and it seemed as if they had to go out of their way to get you anything. We did notice that the minute they heard you talk about $$$ they lit right up though... so when they say that you cant tip.... you really can encourage people with a little $$!! At least that was the case with a few bartenders!! If you do plan on going... we highly recommend going to the smaller pool with the swim up bar at 2:30... we met some AWESOME people and had such a great time! Even though they were all New Yorkers! JK!! It was a ton of fun! Especially if you are there and it rains literally a whole day!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in the caribbean... nothing special
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank msabers
Lewisville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I were at Sandals Grande Antigua June12-19 and had a really great vacation! We have been married for 28 years and have travelled to the Caribbean for over 20 years. This was our 5th stay at Sandals and first time at this property.
When we arrived, we were greeted with a cold towel, a glass of champagne and a small plate of snacks. Our room would not be ready for an hour so we were shown where we could change into our shorts or swimwear and get a bite to eat. We explored the property a bit before being taken to our room. The grounds are very beautiful and the resort is divided into a Mediterranean side and a Caribbean side. We had booked the Venetian Ocean View room with a balcony on the Mediterranean side and it was really nice. Our room was on the third floor and the view of the ocean was partially through palm trees. We later found that the higher floors have better views of the ocean and will keep that in mind if we return to this property. Housekeeping was excellent. The room was spotless everyday and included turndown service each night. On the first day, we saw ants in the room and bathroom. We called maintenance and they sent someone to spray while we were out at dinner. The staff is very pleasant and attentive and we found the service to be excellent.
Most mornings we went to the fitness center, which is nice and well-equipped. We spent our days at either the main pool on the Mediterranean side or the Caribbean pool. The beach was nice for a change of scenery and a short walk. It is public and there are vendors selling tours, jewelry and other goods. They did approach us to try to make a sell and were nice and kept walking when we told them "no thank you." Sandals has a narrow beach that stretches the length of the property and is separated from the public beach by a wooden fence. This is something that was not mentioned in the reviews that we read and we only figured it out after we got there. There are security guards, but they have no control over the vendors who approach you if you are on the public beach. The main pool is huge and has a large hot tub and a swim up bar. The Caribbean pool is smaller, in a nice garden setting. It also has a swim up bar and hot tub. A game of volleyball is played there daily. We met Latoya (bartender) there and enjoyed talking to her. She makes great drinks. Thanks for a great time, Latoya!
We really enjoyed all of the food and drinks, though we did not eat at all of the restaurants. Most of the restaurants had "a la carte" menus. We usually had the breakfast buffet at Mario's because it is an indoor restaurant. The food and choices were always very good. There are other breakfast options, but they are at open air or partially open air restaurants and birds were always flying or walking around looking for food. Birds were a big issue for me at this property because I am afraid of them, especially the aggressive seagulls that were mostly around the main pool, the beach and the open air restaurants. It seems as though Sandals is trying to do something about them at at least one of the restaurants, but it is not enough. I have seen other Caribbean open air restaurants enclosed in wire netting and it keeps the birds out without obstructing the view. Also, we were told that the birds they are usually there between May and September and will keep that in mind if we return to this property. For lunch, we liked Napoli Pizza for a variety of really good pizzas including veggie, sausage and shrimp. You could eat at one of their outdoor tables in a beautiful garden setting (not many birds depending on when you are there) or take it "to go" back to the pool, beach, room or elsewhere. Barefoot (Seafood) serves burgers, hot dogs, salads and wonderful jerk chicken during the day and seafood at dinner. Our favorite dinner was at Mario's (Italian). We ate there twice. The anti-pasta bar was excellent and very filling. The entrees were excellent as well. We made reservations for 9pm at Eleanor's (Caribbean) on Friday and were told that they were out of lobster, which is their specialty. We were disappointed because this was suppose to have been my birthday dinner. Stacey, the hostess told us that if we didn't want to have dinner there that night, we could come back on Sunday and she would make sure that we were taken care of. We decided to have dinner at Bayside (French) that night and it was nice. We returned to Eleanor's on Sunday and Stacey really did take care of us with a wonderful table overlooking the ocean. We really enjoyed the lobster and shrimp and it was definitely worth waiting for. Thanks, Stacey for a great birthday dinner! We also enjoyed dinner for two nights at OK Corral (Tex-Mex). We are from Texas, so we know Tex-Mex. Even though it was not like the Tex-Mex and home, it had a Caribbean twist and was better than we expected. I enjoyed the chicken fajitas, chips and beans. We also enjoyed the atmosphere here because it was in the Caribbean Village, upstairs overlooking the ocean and a courtyard where we could see and hear the evening entertainment.
The entertainment and shows were awesome and most nights there were live bands on both sides of the property with plenty of opportunities for dancing. The variety of music was good and there was something for everyone including reggae, jazz, hip-hop, rap and old school. Cricketer's (Pub) is a nice spot to hang out before and after dinner. We met Claudine (hostess), who always greeted everyone with a smile and a hug and Carrie-Ann and Andy (bartenders), who always remembered what we liked to drink. Thanks guys for a great time!
We enjoyed relaxing and staying on the property and only went on one tour. We booked a tour to Shirley Heights, which is one of the highest points on the island. On the drive there, we were able to see a little more of the island and it was really a fun time. When we arrived, there was jerk chicken, drinks and souvenirs for purchase and a steel band played reggae music as we watched an incredible sunset. Overall, we had a great vacation and look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Choose a room on floors 4-7 on the Mediterranean side for a better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fay W
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We traveled to Sandals Antigua from the New York City area July 13-20 to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. Fairly quick flight from NYC and short drive from the airport (~15 minutes). We booked a concierge room on the Caribbean side but were upgraded (we actually weren't told we were being upgraded and brought to the Med. side of the hotel). At first I was a little weary because we spent a lot of time picking out our room and liked how we would have a separate pool by our building. But the concierge desk at the Med. building offered to show us both rooms, the one we'd been upgraded to, and the original room. We looked at the upgraded room and since it was nice, we decided to stay there. We were on the second floor with a view of the gardens but couldn't see the ocean. This didn't matter to us since we weren't spending a ton of time in the room anyway. The bathroom was quite large with a nice big shower...definitely a modern room...the room was kept clean but we had to ask several times to have bottles of water added to our fridge and toiletries like soap put in the bathroom. Not the end of the world.

The resort is very well maintained. The grounds are stunning with beautiful tropical flowers throughout which are well manicured. We spent a lot of time by the pool which has awesome floats that you can lay on and melt into. Occasionally there's fun games/activities going on by the pool like music trivia, tye dying, live music, etc. The pool chairs and cushions are nice and comfy. The ocean at the beach is beautiful...it's crystal clear and the sand is soft. Like a lot of people on here mention, there are a lot of vendors that come up to you when you're trying to relax on the beach and try to get you to buy things. This can be a little annoying, but that's how it is there. I tried not to let it bother me.

Definitely take advantage of the water sports! There is a snorkel boat that goes out 3x a day for about an hour at a time and it's included! All you need to go is to go to the watersports building and sign up a day in advance. I saw some beautiful fish and a stingray when I went. You can go as many times as you like...a great way to break up the day! Also there's kayaks, paddle boats, stand up surf boards, etc. that you can take out.

I found that the people working at the resort were very friendly. I wasn't expecting this since I read many reviews on here that said the staff was unfriendly. They definitely had their smiles on.

We didn't go out on any excursions but I know that there's stuff to see on the island like Nelson's Dockyard, St. John's has some shopping, etc.

At night there's music playing, there's billiards and darts at the pub, and some shows for entertainment...but not a whole lot to do besides eat and drink.

Okay, finally, onto restaurants/food...we have stayed at other all inclusive resorts like Riu in Costa Rica and Occidental in Aruba and found ourselves comparing the food. I thought the food was a step up from the food at these other resorts. For the most part, the food was tasty, fresh, and had some flavor (I consider myself to be a foodie so I'm very particular!). The food at Bayside wasn't particularly good but all other dinners were good. I had the ribs at Ok Corral which were delicious...but my husband's chicken fajitas weren't the greatest. The mahi mahi I had at Barefoot by the Sea was also quite good...but my husband's lamb shank was awful. The key is to ask the waitress/waiter for their recommendations...whenever I did that, I really enjoyed the food! We went to Eleanor's twice for dinner and enjoyed the lobster, crab cakes, coconut soup, and pina colada creme brule..really into the Caribbean flavors there! Marios was pretty good but considering we're from NY and have great Italian food here, we're biased! We didn't go to the sushi place, the Japanese place, or the pub for dinner so I can't comment on those restaurants. For lunch we mostly stuck to the pizza place and Barefoot by the Sea which were close to the beach/pool--very convenient--and also the food was good. I recommend trying the fried tofu with mango chutney if you eat lunch at Barefoot by the Sea! For breakfast we really enjoyed Ok Corral because of the beautiful view and the fresh fruit plate (try the passion fruit if you can!). There's also Bayside and Marios which both serve pretty much identical breakfasts which are fine. Every restaurant except for Marios is open air or outside. If its very humid, sometimes its nice to sit inside in the A/C for a bit, so this is one downside to the restaurant scene. Another is the seagulls who really bother people as they eat at some of the outdoor restaurants.

1 Thank Ariella60763
South Wales UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here 21st June to 5th July on a 2 week break from the UK.
Our first visit to both Antigua and Sandals, would do Antigua again but maybe not at Sandals.
Arrived with another couple and were sat in reception for quite a while before we received our welcoming glass of champagne. Eventually got to our room to find some of their luggage had been left there also. Our room was in a very good location overlooking a small pool on the Caribbean side, a little smaller than we are used to, it had everything we needed (would have liked a walk in shower as opposed to one in the bath though!).
Loved all the food we ate at every restaurant except the Ok Corral, service was slow and as I'm not a spicy food lover it was not to my taste, although my partner enjoyed his. I loved the afternoon tea and would skip my lunch to go here.
The staff were friendly and welcoming on the whole.
My biggest dissappointment was that my birthday went unmarked, you could purchase a birthday package consisting of balloons, cake and Moet, @$160 but I told my partner not to bother as I thought this was over priced.
Loved the beach, even the locals selling their wares became friends after two weeks and they loved to chat even if you didn't buy anything from them.
Went on the Excellence boat trip around the island which we booked with sandals at $110 each and would highly recommend this trip in particular. Did the free snorkelling trip too.
The entertainment as a whole was very good, a lot of Reggae, but we loved it!
We really felt like we had had a holiday, it's the most chilled out we have ever felt on holiday so top marks for that Sandals.
We are used to going to the best Mexico (Cancun) has to offer and this hotel did not quite measure up, that said we accepted that this was an island and therefore we couldnt expect the exactly the same as we are used to. The beaches were much better here though.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Caribbean side were quaint the Mediterranean side was more of a hotel feel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mslmj
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my first experience of Sandals, and my husband's second. He had gone 12 years ago and was raving about how good it was (He had previously gone to the Bahamas). Upon arrival, the surroundings blew me away, greeting with champagne and concierge service. All very nice. Room was excellent, bu then for what we were paying I wouldn't have expected any less. We arrived in the evening so I couldn't see the view yet from our balcony.

The morning view was amazing, they do a wonderful job of making the resort like a paradise. We decided to try all the restaurants as soon as possible so that we could find the best and spend the rest of the week eating there.

The Cricketers Pub has been renamed the Drunken Duck and was very much the typical English pub (I'm a Brit, my Husband an American) so this was funny to experience. However, the "bangers and mash" was very disappointing. Staff are not allowed to accept tips so there is no incentive for good service, service check or any timely check up for drinks etc. This was the biggest thing we noticed of the restaurants. The staff are also very eager to talk honestly about their job and what it is like for working for Sandals, which surprised me.

We found Mario's and Bayside the best for breakfast, all buffet but chefs on hand to cook fresh omlettes for you. It was very handy having the Pizzeria available all day, and we would use this as our snack stop between meals since not all restaurants are open for lunch. Lunch time is when there is least available. The Cafe de Paris is also a life saver! tea and coffee and great little cakes and pastries available all day.

Kimonos was terrible and I didn't hear any good reviews from our fellow guests. If you are used to Japanese teriyaki restaurants, this is way under par. Don't go expecting the onion volcano, big flame shows or flipping things into hats. You don't get a choice of food and the room is tiny and fills with grill smoke quickly. Also, if you are unlucky enough to get a table of other guests that dont want to talk, its a looong meal.

Dinner, we found, was best at Elenor's and Mario's. Elenor's lobster is a must, and is actually very rare and expensive to the island so well worth trying. Surprisingly, only Elenor's and Barefoot (dinner only) serve seafood, we expected more.

The pools are not deep and are designed just for standing around in and drinking, which is great, but if you want to swim you need to go into the ocean. The ocean is amazing, no current as its a big bay so its wonderful for swimming and canoeing. We spent the first few visits to the beach camping out right on the beach, but this is where you get constantly hassled by the vendors walking by, it is relentless and very annoying, especially as you are instructed by Sandals not to buy from them. However, we found if you camp out behind the barrier, on the sandals property but still on the beach, they can't pester you. The security staff are brilliant and told us they would watch our things while we swam.

They do a great job of entertaining and have theme nights every night. They leave a newsletter in your room daily with what is happening so you are always aware. The beach party was lots of fun!! We used the spa services twice and although costly, they were perfect for filling our one rainy day. The gym is good too, if you are that way inclined, free weights and machines.

We booked two excursions as we wanted to experience a bit more of the island. The Sandals exclusive circumnavigation around the island was a good trip, but didn't really get a "tour" experience from it, it was more a catamaran ride to the reefs for snorkling, which was great! then lunch, and party boating all the way home. A 7 hour day out, lots of fun, the boat staff really entertain.

Our second trip was a helicopter ride to Monserrat Volcano. Very interesting and the pilot knew his stuff, my first experience in a helicopter was well worth it!!

I got eaten alive by mosquitos, but there are lots of little stores on the resort for supplies. Best to take them with you though, as they are pricey due to importing costs.

The Mediterranean side was the best for rooms, and the Caribbean side the best for entertainment. It was handy being able to have both sides and easy to find your way around.

Brides Beware: I actually felt pretty bad for all the brides we saw, either getting married on the beach while people walked by, or just walking around the resort in their dresses. There didn't seem to be any particular special treatment for them and it all seems very basic. Their photo shoots all bunched in with the other photoshoots.

We did the sunset photoshoot which was lots of fun. I love that they has resort photographers snapping you throughout the week as it was special to come away with photos of us together.

Overall this was a great vacation, I don't think it was worth what we paid for it but we had a great time. There is definitely a lot to be said for doing inclusive, we would look at doing a Sandals again, but look for a better deal.

Room Tip: We had the concierge room in the Mediterranean section, amazing view!!!
2 Thank Suzy P
Milton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was vacationing with a girlfriend, so instead of staying at Sandals, I stayed at another resort & had a day pass to take my girlfriend to see the resort. Karen B. met us at the reception & gave us the GRANDE treatment! I visited the different departments & shared hugs with all of my friends! Spice, you are such a dear! Ivers , Maurice & Sherman at the dive shop, you are wonderful! Ladies at the spa, I miss you...sorry we couldn't have Reiki sessions again, hopefully next time! I had fun diving at the Jettias wreck with Maurice! Breakfast at the buffet was delicious as usual, lunch at Barefoot was great and dinner at Eleanors, yes, lobster tail was amazing, BUT the biggest treat was having Vittorio ask the chef to have gluten free lava cake waiting at Mario's for desert! Special thanks to Daryl, the bellman, for showing us different room categories! It was a pleasure to meet you! Rocco, thank you for taking time to visit with me & share about Dubai & Abu Dabi. I enjoy listening to your knowledge of world travel! To all of the employees at Sandals Grande Antigua, thank you for welcoming me "home" & I can't wait for Steve & I to return here soon!

Room Tip: I am partial to the Mediterranean side, but partially due to the fact that the dive shop is on this...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,610 reviews

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!