My husband and I got married at the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia 6 years ago. We wanted to celebrate our anniversary and take a much needed vacation. Because it had been more than a few years since we took a real vacation, I splurged for a higher level concierge suite.
I have to say that there are some real positives here: gorgeous beach and ocean, WONDERFUL spa (they really do pamper you), Mario's is a great restaurant for dinner and breakfast, great excursions (additional cost - Best of Antigua, EcoTour), short trip from the airport to the resort, nice "Parisian" café for desserts or coffee, gorgeous grounds.
But I would not splurge on a concierge level room. The concierge staff often seemed like we were bothering them, and didn't go out of their way to do anything for us. Even when we reported an A/C leak in our room, the concierge on duty made a face and said "OK". There was no, "I'm so sorry, we'll take care of that right away," or anything else. I have to say many of the other staff were very much the same way. We often had issues even getting refills on our drinks at some restaurants or getting service at one of the bars. Not everyone was this way, but I would say a good 75% of the staff were not cut out for the service industry. I do give kudos to the manager at Mario's, and the wonderful ladies at the spa.
I had purchased a well known travel book about the island, and in the hotel section they list the pros and cons of different resorts. The word they used to describe the staff was "apathetic", and I whole-heartedly agree. Also, the resort really is 2 resorts in one - is quite expansive, and with no real map or assistance offered, it can take a second to figure out where everything is - no matter which side you stay on.
But if you're looking for a beautiful Caribbean beach, and don't expect much from the service end - I do thing this Sandals is worth trying.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish