First time to Sandals and I was impressed, although there are some things that I think need improving. When you arrive at Antigua, exit the airport and Sandals desk is clearly right there across the road to drive you the 15 minute ride to the hotel.
I booked the Honeymoon Luxury Poolside Walkout Room in the Flamboyant Building, Carribean Grove, this was great because we had a pool just outside our room making it easier to get from the room to sunbathe and swim! It was also super close to the beach, just a very short beautiful winding path to the beach!
The room was luxury and special 5*. Beautifully made furniture. Great American television, movies, sports! The maids are very sweet, they change the sheets everyday and clean well, we gave ours a tip although you are not meant to and she looked after us really well!
The minibar was stocked often with soft drinks, juices and water, although sometimes we had to ask for more water as it was not stocked everyday. We did not have Concierge service, I do not know what that service is. You cannot get room service in this hotel unless you have butler service.
A great shame was that just behind our pool they were doing a lot of work everyday which was noisy, quite annoying when you are trying to relax.
The staff are friendly! The food is great! Good amount of restaurants to chose from. Best restaurant is Mario's for dinner. Best member of staff Vittorio, we just called him Mario because he made that restaurant. Italian food, amazing oven baked aubergine and lasagne, chicken parmasean with spaghetti, parma ham and mozarella, all very good quality and tasted great! I HIGHLY recommend the chocolate lava cake (hot) with cold vanilla ice cream. Yum! The pizza place is AMAZING, quite light, cooked to perfection and delicious. Best meal in the resort is Jerk Chicken and French Fries at Barefoot by the Sea. We had this everyday for the entire stay! This cool little restaurant on the beach has a lovely night time menu, I had oven backen chicken with sweet mash and veg, really good! I felt right at home!
There is a small Courtyard Cafe that does hamburgers and fries, nachos ect from 12-5 everyday. This hotel has a wide choice of food types.
One thing that we didnt like was the birds, they are very hungry! At Barefoot restaurant they wander around trying to get food, if a table is left with food on it they go for it!
Bayside reastuarant was perfectly close with beautiful views out to sea but after going there on out first day for breakfast and seeing a bird tuck into someones meal before he did we didnt go back! They have open buffet and the birds dive bomb it, skidding across a piece of watermelon and swooping in for a bit of muffin. So we went to Marios for breakfast which is entirely inside. Amazing selection of foods. Amazing to see how much some people can load onto their plates!
One of the best place in the whole hotel is Cafe de Paris. They do crepes with chocolate and ice cream, cupcakes, sweets, waffles, amazing, just amazing, we were in there everyday, twice!
The staff are very friendly, Antiguans are happy and cool! But of course it is a struggle over there for everyone just like other countries and hotels you can not expect everyone to always be happy all the time!
To be honest the beach is not as great as it looks in the pictures with thoose fancy sunbeds, the sunbeds are plastic on the beach. It was quite busy at times as it is not that large and I think some people came from cruise ships. It is beautiful and peaceful at times though, just not that great for walking long distances. The sellers on the beach bother you quite a bit.
We had a great airconditioning system and fan above the bed so we stayed really cool at night. I got bitten quite badly by mosquitos, I made a huge effort to aviod it with spray ect but they got to me!
This resort is nice for couples because there are alot of other couples, its very romantic!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish