“Great holiday, I would recommend this resort for a fun active holiday.”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
London, United Kingdom
“Great holiday, I would recommend this resort for a fun active holiday.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

First time to Sandals and I was impressed, although there are some things that I think need improving. When you arrive at Antigua, exit the airport and Sandals desk is clearly right there across the road to drive you the 15 minute ride to the hotel.
I booked the Honeymoon Luxury Poolside Walkout Room in the Flamboyant Building, Carribean Grove, this was great because we had a pool just outside our room making it easier to get from the room to sunbathe and swim! It was also super close to the beach, just a very short beautiful winding path to the beach!
The room was luxury and special 5*. Beautifully made furniture. Great American television, movies, sports! The maids are very sweet, they change the sheets everyday and clean well, we gave ours a tip although you are not meant to and she looked after us really well!
The minibar was stocked often with soft drinks, juices and water, although sometimes we had to ask for more water as it was not stocked everyday. We did not have Concierge service, I do not know what that service is. You cannot get room service in this hotel unless you have butler service.
A great shame was that just behind our pool they were doing a lot of work everyday which was noisy, quite annoying when you are trying to relax.
The staff are friendly! The food is great! Good amount of restaurants to chose from. Best restaurant is Mario's for dinner. Best member of staff Vittorio, we just called him Mario because he made that restaurant. Italian food, amazing oven baked aubergine and lasagne, chicken parmasean with spaghetti, parma ham and mozarella, all very good quality and tasted great! I HIGHLY recommend the chocolate lava cake (hot) with cold vanilla ice cream. Yum! The pizza place is AMAZING, quite light, cooked to perfection and delicious. Best meal in the resort is Jerk Chicken and French Fries at Barefoot by the Sea. We had this everyday for the entire stay! This cool little restaurant on the beach has a lovely night time menu, I had oven backen chicken with sweet mash and veg, really good! I felt right at home!
There is a small Courtyard Cafe that does hamburgers and fries, nachos ect from 12-5 everyday. This hotel has a wide choice of food types.
One thing that we didnt like was the birds, they are very hungry! At Barefoot restaurant they wander around trying to get food, if a table is left with food on it they go for it!
Bayside reastuarant was perfectly close with beautiful views out to sea but after going there on out first day for breakfast and seeing a bird tuck into someones meal before he did we didnt go back! They have open buffet and the birds dive bomb it, skidding across a piece of watermelon and swooping in for a bit of muffin. So we went to Marios for breakfast which is entirely inside. Amazing selection of foods. Amazing to see how much some people can load onto their plates!
One of the best place in the whole hotel is Cafe de Paris. They do crepes with chocolate and ice cream, cupcakes, sweets, waffles, amazing, just amazing, we were in there everyday, twice!
The staff are very friendly, Antiguans are happy and cool! But of course it is a struggle over there for everyone just like other countries and hotels you can not expect everyone to always be happy all the time!
To be honest the beach is not as great as it looks in the pictures with thoose fancy sunbeds, the sunbeds are plastic on the beach. It was quite busy at times as it is not that large and I think some people came from cruise ships. It is beautiful and peaceful at times though, just not that great for walking long distances. The sellers on the beach bother you quite a bit.
We had a great airconditioning system and fan above the bed so we stayed really cool at night. I got bitten quite badly by mosquitos, I made a huge effort to aviod it with spray ect but they got to me!
This resort is nice for couples because there are alot of other couples, its very romantic!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Luxury Walkout in Flamboyant Building next to tennis court has noisy works going on all da...
3 Thank Alexandra R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,730)
  • Polish first
Newfoundland, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

This resort lives up to it's reputation. We stayed here for two weeks April/06/13 to April/20/13. Everything was exactly how it is advertised, pictures and all. We had an excellent vacation. Everything was perfect. We ate at all eleven eateries, all were scrumptious. Drinks were all top quality. Hats off to Rosetta for keeping our room spotless. Hats off too Sheryl and her team at the Red Lane Spa....we went twice!!! I never had anything quite like their massages...Wow!!! Hats off to Lattoya at the main pool bar on Carb side. She had your drinks served by the time you made it down to the bar...awesome memory that girl!!! The whole team at this resort works together to keep everything in excellent running order. We would diffently stay here again. Would also like to mention our horseback ride with Sundance on the beach....this was also an excellent first time experience for us. We took the Shopping tour twice, the Sunset cruise, and the 360 land tour all through Sandals' Island Route, again, all went well. In conclusion, we had an excellent, excellent vacation at Sandals Grande Antigua.

3 Thank handpsimmonds
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

This was our third stay at a Sandals Resort and it didn't disappoint. From our transfer at the airport to our final day, everything was first class. We stayed at the Mediterranean Village. Our check in was leisurely and set the tone for the week. We were given champagne and appetizers while we waited for our room, which was great! Our room on the fourth floor had an amazing view of the resort and the ocean, including wonderful sunsets. Wish our patio would've been bigger, though. The king bed was comfortable and the bathroom was huge. The fridge was fully stocked and maintained well all week. The housekeeping was thorough, never intrusive, always done well. Every staff member we met was wonderful, particularly Latoya at the smaller pool.

From reading prior reviews, we knew to book our restaurants when we checked in. No problems there. Kimonos was fun, but we had to wait about an hour for our table to fill. Food was pretty tasty. Eleanor's was great for my husband, who had a wonderful filet. But my lobster was cold with no drawn butter to warm it up. Disappointing. Wonderful atmosphere by the beach, though. OK Corral was very tasty with quick service. Barefoot was great, too. Very good meals. Mario's had the best breakfast, with more selections at the buffet, only one bird and no cats! Mario's also served us a fantastic dinner on our last night. Superb! Great pizzas at Napoli's. The beach party was a lot of fun. We got there early and found seats with people we had met on our first day. We didn't wait long at the buffet, and the entertainment was great fun. The crowd was drawn into all the fun. The Welcome Back dinner was also very nice. Well done, Sandals! suggestion: let guests know in advance about the dress suggestions for the White night at the disco, the Caribbean beach party, etc..

My husband enjoyed scuba twice. Scheduling dives took patience, though. The desk staff is on Caribbean time! Yoga was great. Seating around the pool is difficult if you hope to have an umbrella or shade and no butler. We just went to the pool later and looked for seats that were open, often removing towels if the seats hadn't been used recently. We think people just don't take care of the towels when they leave! Suggestion: more seating and more umbrellas.

The landscaping and grounds were fabulous! Beautiful and well-maintained. The pools and hot tubs were wonderful.

We toured the island one afternoon with a private taxi and loved seeing the views at Shirley Heights. So glad we did that.

We met a wide variety of fun people and look forward to our next Sandals stay.

Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Dianne G
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Sandals Grand Antigua on Saturday, 4/20/13. I don't typically stay at All Inclusive or even large resorts. My husband and I are very committed to eating a plant base diet without added salt, oil or sugar. I contacted Donavan Dobson via email prior to our stay and he assured me they could accomodate our requests. He did not let us down. Donavan met with us when we arrived and even had us meet with the head chef, Amit. Amit was very good about writing down all of our specific concerns and even went to the store to make sure his restraunts would be able to accomodate us. He went above the call of duty by making dinner reservations for us. Every time we sat down for a meal, the chef at that particular restraunt would come meet with us and make sure the meal they planned would meet our requirements. They were willing and able to prepare anything we asked for.

Service everywhere we went was great, but I would like to send a special thank you to:
Vittorio at Marios and the Chef (sorry I didn't get his name)
Chef Julieanne at Bayside,
and a special appreciation to Chef Nigel at Eleanor's who went out of his way to create
2 special dinners as well as preparing us a boxed lunch for our long trip home.

Our room was spacious ad beautiful. The beach is spectacular. We were able to have beach chairs and a cabana at the beach every day, but we are early birds and would put our towels on the chairs at the beach and take a walk before breakfast every day. While the pool was beautiful, we loved the sun, sand and beach and spent every day at the ocean. Jamie at the water sports shop was great and we especially enjoyed the trip he took us on the hobby cat. We went snorkeling a couple of times and really liked that as well.

Thank you to the entire staff at Sandals for making our vacation feel like a 2nd Honeymoon with every detail taken care of. If you are considering this resort, I highly recommend you book it. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We were in a Penthouse Suite overlooking the pool and with great ocean views. The walk to the Ocean...
2 Thank organictraveler
Orland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

It took me a while to get time to write this review. I am a travel professional
and I thought the Sandals brand was generic. Wrong! I was in the main
building on the concierge level and the view was fantastic. The room was
large and beautiful and spotless. The food was fabulous and I can totally
recommend this hotel to any couple young or old. I can sell this property
with complete confidence and know that everybody will love this resort.
Transfers to hotel were efficient even if customs took forever. It seems that
all the planes land at the same time. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: For the views, I would not pick anything under concierge level and I loved the Italian village.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank traveld803
Sylva, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I had the most amazing time at the Sandals Grande Antigua Resort. The food, drinks, and sun were all amazing! The resort is lovely and the staff was very attentive. This was our first Sandals experience and we were not disappointed. We look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erica H
Florence
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Awesome time! Weather could have been better but, we can't blame anyone about that. Resort is amazing, beautiful... staff are very nice. Entertainment staff are crazy amazing, fun... Emmanuel, Antinio, DJ Shorty and Kevin to name a few.... WHOOP WHOOP
Restaurants are great, pool is awesome, beach is so soft and water is so warm.
The ride from the airport is quick, check in was real quick... There is NO reason I would not return. Didn't want to leave...

People who complain, do not know how to be polite and ask for things with a smile... your portions are too small? really... order another - it's included... you don't like your drink, really? order another... you don't like the restaurant meal? really... stop by the buffet for food... people really are lazy and spoiled and don't appreciate you are on an island - these people work 6 days a week 10-12 hour days... if you are nice, they are nice... easy!!

10 Thank Sue R
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,648 reviews

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!