“On the fence”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Boston, Massachusetts
“On the fence”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just arriving home from our honeymoon this past week, stayed at sandals Antigua resort. First off the resort itself is very nice, tropical and the staff is very friendly.
Upon being guided to our "upgraded" room my husband and I were both extremely disappointed and couldn't imagine what we were being upgraded from??! This resort is by no means cheap and I defiantly expected more from the rooms. Luckily we got another room the next and happily accepted it. Do not expect amazing views from any room unless you stay directly on the beach and or the top floor of the Mediterranean Village.
This is definitely a pool lovers paradise (we are beach people) and where plenty of couples go to meet new friends (this was my honeymoon, no new friends thanks!). The beach was pretty once you got around the men offering you hats, necklaces and if you wanted to "party".
Restaurants and pubs were actually pretty good, Carib the beer is great and the pool bar has super friendly staff. Highly recommend the Wadadli tour around the island!!! This was amazing and I would have done it twice if I didn't have to leave! The tour guides are hilarious and super fun.
Relaxing vacation, happy we tried it, but will not be returning.

2 Thank Nil808

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,797)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at Sandals Grande Antigua which is a beautiful and well maintained resort in a perfect location. The beach is fine white sand which slopes gently into the Caribbean Sea with any small amounts of seaweed cleared by the hotel on a daily basis.

Despite the comments of other travellers I found the traders on the beach the most polite and unassuming I have ever come across. Yes they brought their wares to you unsolicited, but a simple no thank you had them wishing you well and moving on to the next sunbed. They were never pushy and several of the guys who sold the catamaran trips were very funny to listen to.

Our first floor (second if you are American) room in the Frangipani block had a wonderful view of the sea and the lovely sunsets. The room itself was a good size with a huge 4 poster bed, lounge area and separate bathroom, all of which were well maintained by housekeeping. Although the room was always serviced late in the afternoon not in the morning, this didn’t bother us as we were never there during the day. This was compensated for by the superb turn down service in the evening which was effectively another mini service of the room which amongst other things replaced or tidied the towels we had used a couple of hours earlier.

The food in all 11 restaurants was excellent, we tried all of them at least once and in terms of the food quality it would be hard to pick a favourite. But if we had to it would be the sushi bar. If you choose a quiet night, as we did with only 3 other couples in the restaurant you effectively have your own chef for the evening. With 2 chefs preparing wonderfully fresh sushi right in front of you it is both entertaining and delicious and they keep the sushi coming so long as you keep ordering and we certainly did, trying almost everything on the menu.

So if that were all there is to a great holiday then I would be giving 5 stars to Sandals and threatening to return year after year to this luxury included resort. However there were two aspects to our Sandals experience which means that this will be our first and last visit to Sandals.

The first issue is that this is not a quiet resort by any stretch of the imagination. The huge main pool is beautiful when empty, either early in the morning or late at night but during the day it is basically a huge cocktail party. Forget trying to swim in it as it is littered with people with beers and cocktails in their hands leaning on the floating mats. The water is barely 4 feet deep anyway and would be difficult to swim in even without the obstacles. Add to this the incessant boom of the music and some of the antics of the guests and you basically have a Club 18-30 holiday for “grown-ups”.

So this isn’t my idea of a “sophisticated resort” as described on Sandals website. I am sure Sandals would argue that there are other pools tucked away that were quiet but even these were contaminated by guests who plug speakers instead of headphones into their Ipad in order to share their music or the maintenance staff and security guards who had transistor radios screeching out reggae album tracks for the benefit of those of us who are out of range of the main pool. Finally on the subject of noise are the catamarans that pull up onto the beach 3 or 4 times a day, if I ever hear Bob Marley - Don’t Worry, again ........................!

The other aspect of huge annoyance is the service or lack of it. There seems to be confusion here between being friendly and giving good service. The majority of the staff were happy, smiling and said hello but I am afraid that doesn’t cut much ice when you have been waiting 1 hour 40 minutes for a steak. Nor does it help when you have asked 4 times for your transfer back to the airport to be brought forward by 30 minutes and it still arrives at the same time.

The reason I had to bring forward my departure time was to allow extra time to sort out a Sandals created mess with my airline. I had asked the concierge to print my boarding pass for my return flight and he checks the box that says I am carrying firearms, explosives, contraband etc. thus preventing me from checking in early and choosing my seats for a Trans-Atlantic flight which could now only be done at the airport. I therefore had to allow extra time to convince the airline that I had no links to any terrorist organisation. A predicament that a colleague of the concierge found highly amusing.

The whole attitude of the staff seemed to be that they will give good service only if and when they choose to, whether it is the waitresses who seem more interested in joining in the dancing in the evenings rather than getting round the tables, or the maitre d’ at Eleanors who couldn’t be bothered to clear an outside table for us stating it would take 15 minutes to clear.

I get the impression that those with a butler (no we didn’t go for this ridiculous appendage) got the type of service that we are used to in the western world but why should we pay extra for what should be included.

So no Sandals, whatever demographic you are aiming for it is not for us and I think words like sophistication, luxury and service need to be removed from your advertisements and a slight amendment to your tag line such that it reads:-

Luxury Included, Service is extra!

Room Tip: Mediterranean side newer and more glitzy but be prepared for the noise both day and night. Caribbean...
4 Thank JohntheBatman
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 days at this resort's Mediterranean Village in early March. We have been to three other Sandals resorts, and this one came up a bit short in our experience - predominantly due to the quality of service. The "welcome desk" at the airport (in case you are used to other Sandals welcome lounge's with cold drinks and comfy furnishings) is little more than a taxi stand outside the airport. Check-in was fine, but it was here that we noticed first that the attitude of many of the staff is markedly different from that of, for example, the Jamaica resorts. There was a distinct lack of attentiveness in many cases - - - sitting for over 15 minutes at breakfast without acknowledgment or coffee (yikes!); a dinner order that took over an hour to arrive. At times, we felt like we were bothering people by asking questions or requesting things like silverware and water. Oftentimes, items on the buffet were not replenished during peakt service hours, and empty platters were frequently just left on the service island. I don't want to give the impression that we expect to be coddled on vacation, but we have grown accustomed to the warmth and exemplary training of Sandals/Beaches staff at other resorts.

We had no trouble finding chairs on the beach, which is beautiful and provides ample room for walking in either direction. Seaside peddlers were plentiful, but very polite. Poolside seating was difficult to find. The room was nice and very clean. Restaurant food was OK. Pay special attention to the evenings on which each restaurant is closed if you would like to sample all of them during your stay, and be sure to make reservations at your earliest opportunity.

High points: the nightly entertainment was excellent, and a very personable, sophisticated and knowledgable staff member - Narissa Martin - who went out of her way a number of times to be of assistance. She was the one person who exemplified what we have come to expect of the Sandals model.

Low points: the indifference and inattentiveness of several of the staff made us feel uncomfortable/unwelcome at times.

3 Thank MKay3407
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been to Bahamas, Barbados Aruba and St Lucia, I must say this resort has surpassed all other hotels I've stayed at. The food was excellent, breakfast, lunch dinner or snacks, buffet or a la carte everything was delicious. The staff was sweet, funny, and always in a good mood. The beach was perfect, I couldn't ask for anything more! My favourite thing was ice cream at Cafe Paris and pizza at the pizzeria. It was worth the price and if you can afford it you will not regret staying at this adults only resort!

2 Thank tripswitht
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 3, 2013

So it's taken me a while to write this review, because I wasn't sure if I was even going to do it. I had the absolute worst experience at Sandals Grande Antigua during our honeymoon from March 11-17th.
When we first arrived (around 4pm) we were told our room wasn't ready, and to have some lunch and come back. I knew that checkout was at 11am, so I wasn't quite sure why our room wasn't available when we got there hours after that. For a large property with huge guest turnover, you would think rooms would be ready upon guests arrival late in the day. Whatever. We went to lunch at Bella Napoli Pizzaria. It was actually very good. The pizzas are small, personal sized, and do take quite a while to come out, but were quite tasty.
After lunch we went back to the front desk and were told our room was ready. I could have sworn we paid for a butler suite, but was told we had a concierge suite. We were walked to our room on the 3rd floor by our first concierge, who's name I do not recall, and when we got to the room the air conditioning wasn't working. He stayed in the room with us for a while and I commented how our "ocean view suite" was neither a suite in my mind, or really ocean view. The concierge then proceeded to say to us "I hope you're not beach people, because the beach is mostly washed away right now." Turns out we ARE beach people, and for the first 4 days of our trip, there was literally 3 feet of open beach (littered with vendors, mind you), as it was extremely high tide. Anyway, the concierge noted that the air conditioning really wasn't working and that we needed a new room. We were taken to back to the front desk, and handed over to Concierge Leon, who took us to our new room on the 5th floor.
Leon was AMAZING. He did absolutely everything in his power to try and make our stay better. When he walked us into our room and told us we weren't booked for a butler suite, but a concierge suite, I had a slight meltdown. Then I said forget it, I just want to order room service and go to bed. He said there was no room service unless you had the butler suite! What kind of hotel doesn't have room service??? I would have even paid extra at that point to have it, but it wasn't allowed.
The rest of the trip stayed on the same pace. I'm not going to go into lengthy detail, but all of the restaurants took forever for you food and drink (even soda) to come out, and when they did the portions were small and embarassing. Most of the staff was not friendly, and seemed almost annoyed that they had to be working. I will say that the most friendly staff we enountered (outside of Leon) were the girls working at Cafe de Paris. They were always so friendly and had a smile on their faces and so happy to help you. Everywhere else? Not so much. Restaurants close after 9:30pm and the only food you can have is from the Cricketers Pub (gross overcooked chicken fingers that come 3 to a plate. And when they say fingers, they mean it - they were so small they were literally the size of fingers). I'm sorry but when you're on vacation, and you're out in the sun all day (we sometimes didn't even get up to our room until after 6pm!) you take a shower and a nap and sometimes aren't even ready to go eat until 9-9:30! And you can't, because they're closing!
Sandals is NOT cheap, and for the money we spent I don't feel we got anything in return. The way this Sandals operates is just completely backwards. Honeymoons and vacations should be relaxed and fun. I was neither relaxed, nor having fun. Speaking of the food and drink, the food (I will say the food was VERY good), came out in such small portions, it was ridiculous. I had a steak with a side of veggies and there was literally 2 broccoli florets and a SLICE of carrot. Mario's food was good as well, but the stay was super unfriendly, and the food took ages to come out. We ordered our food and drinks at the same time, and when our chicken parm came out 45 mins later, we still had not gotten drinks. I honestly had gotten so fed up, I started getting up and helping myself, much to the staff's dismay.
Everything you've read in other reviews about having to get up before 6 am to get a good spot at the pool? True. And watch out, that sun there is HOT and you need to be in the shade after a while. If you don't get up and reserve a spot, you're stuck in the sun all day. Nobody comes around at the pool to take a drink order, you have to go to the swim up bar and be ignored. One bartender to stay awar from is Marcus. Young skinny blonde. Would see me waiting for another drink and not come up to help for a good 10 minutes. FOR A BEER ON TAP. Unacceptable. I've been to other all-inclusives and the food and drinks and usually flowing all the time and readily availble. Here, not so much. It was torture to try and get anything to eat or drink in a reasonable time frame.
I have to say, I don't think I will ever go to a Sandals ever again. I am quite disappointed, and honestly feel that my honeymoon was ruined. If you're looking for an amazing, relaxing, care-free time, this is not the place to be. If you're looking to eat and drink to your hearts content, then look elsewhere. We have had better experiences in Mexico, of all places, where you can't even drink the water or brush your teeth from the sink!

Room Tip: Get a concierge suite. Apparently you don't get any "normal" accomodations unless you...
3 Thank Natasha H
Metlakatla, Alaska
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was the most relaxing vacation we have ever been on. The butlers were very attentive, the food was great and you had plenty of choices. Day trips around Antigua on a fast boat. Swimming with stingrays and many more activities. The wife cried when we had to leave. Nov. 2010

Room Tip: The private pool 1 bedroom suites are the best and worth the money.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank armymajdad
New York
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for 6 nights at the Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa. This was not our first trip to a Sandals resort. We have been to The St. Lucia Grande, Negril (twice), Royal Bahamian (three times), Ocho Rios, The Whitehouse and Dunns River. Matter of fact, we completed our 70th night stay and became eligible for a free week during this trip. We arrived at Sandals Grande Antigua on March 23, 2013. The transfer booth at the airport for the hotel was not like any other Sandals welcome booth. There was no lounge or bathroom facility just a booth outside with 2 gentlemen who seemed to be frazzled. It took quite a while to get a van but once we were on our way all was good. Once at the resort Donovan Dobson greeted us and checked us in. We originally booked a concierge room in the Frangipani building but Donovan told us that we were being upgraded to a rondoval. We were surprised by this because we have never received an upgrade like this before. We at first thought he was a concierge staff member but found out he was actually the Director of Guest Services. He pre-arranged our dinner reservations for us and then, after some paper work, he escorted us to our beautiful private room with it's own plunge pool and patio. For the next 6 days Donovan made sure that our stay at Sandals Antigua Grande was wonderful. He would stop by to see if everything was to our liking. He made himself available on our last day just to say goodbye. We can not say enough about him. Sandals is very lucky to have him as an employee.

The grounds and beach are beautiful and spotless. The pools are well maintained even our private pool was maintained daily. The room was spotless and had the best maid service we have ever had, thanks to Evette the house keeper.
Everyone at the resort was pleasant and friendly. You were always greeted with a smile. We had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Christ, the General manager of the resort. It was so nice of him to also come out and say goodbye to us.

We only were disappointed in one area, the food at some of the restaurants. We were looking forward to our meal at the OK Corral. We ordered the filet mignon but what we received did not look like filet mignon and definitely did not taste like it. The chicken wings and ham cakes at the Cricketers Pub were bland. The hamburger for lunch at Barefoot by the Sea was rather burnt and tasteless. The pizza at the Bela Napoli pizzeria was under cooked. However, all our other meals were very good or excellent. Bayside breakfast was always very fresh. The Courtyard Bistro was good for a quick lunch. Dinner at the Bayside, Kimonos and Marios were all excellent. Our meal at the Select members "Welcome Back Dinner" was also excellently prepared. The coffee and desserts at the Cafe de Paris were outstanding. We didn't eat at Eleanors so we cannot comment on that.
Overall, our experience at Sandals Antigua Grande was one we will never forget. We look forward to someday soon returning to the resort and seeing Donovan's smiling face as we enter the lobby and he says "Welcome Home.
I would be remiss if I did not mention our fantastic travel agent, Mike McHugh, from Dream Makers Vacation. His advise and help with this and other trips has been incredible. You can check out their web site online.

Room Tip: The Caribbean side is very lush and tropical, very close to the beach. The Mediterranean side is mo...
5 Thank chickruse
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!