We went to Sandals Grand Antigua 2/25/13 - 03/06/13 with 2 othe couples. The transfers were no problem and we arrived at the resort after a short 15 minute ride. We were taken to a office to get checked in. While waiting to check in they gave us a wet towel and a drink. Then the fun started when they told us we were upgraded to a 800 block room which was in the last building in back of the resort with the entrance gate to the resort 30 feet from our door. When we booked we were supposed to be in 400 block (hibiscuss building), when we booked we told them we did not want a upgrade and wanted what we booked. They told us no problem. We also wanted the rooms close together. Well our rooms in the 800 building were on 2nd floor with no elevator and we had to go up 46 stairs to get to our rooms plus 2 rooms were together the other room was at the other end of the building. We told them we did not want the upgrade and would not stay 10 days in those rooms.They agreed to move us 2 days later to the 400 block where we were supposed to be and the 3 rooms were not next to each other but we had no choice. Nothing like starting a vacation off with a bang. We tried to make resrvations at the 3 restaurants well if you are not there longer then a week lots a luck we got them the last 3 days of our vacation.
Beach:is narrow at high tide and there is some pockets of seaweed. The water temp was in low 70's to 75. Beach vendors do bother you but a simple no is all that is needed. Chairs on the beach are no problem if you get there before 9 am. If you want ones with shade you have to get them by 6:30am. Overall the beach was very nice.
Pools are very nice if you want a chair close to the pool you need to get them by 7am if you wait till 10 you will find a chair or 2 in the back away from the pool.
Restaurants: our group liked Marios the best and went there 3 nights(try the lava cake). Barefoot is a waste with a limited menu (3 items), Eleanors was ok but lobster was very rubbery and over cooked, Kimonos was very good and we had really fun time there with other couples., Ok Corral was good but steaks were a little tough., Bayside was ok but a very limited menu. Breakfast at Bayside every morning they were out of glasses if you wanted juice so we just grabbed our water glasses when went to get our food. Two mornings there were out bacon and sausage and took over 20 minutes to refill the trays. Some of the rstaurants are closed on different nights, I have never gone to any othe resort were this occured
Entertainment: was ok but mostly over by 10pm everyone then went to hang out at the pub. Monday night is beach barbeque some of the food was not cooked (chicken and Kabobs) but a lot of fun games.
Drinks: no problem here service was excellent and you name they will make it.
Staff: overal very friendly and always said hello. We did not find one staff person that was not friendly.
Overall We had a good time but this resort is not a 5 star resort. It is over priced you can get the same service in Punta Cana for half the price.
Also if they think they are a 5 star resort they should not charge for internet service. If you need anything bring it with you the shops on the resort have everyrthing way over priced. Bottle of suntan lotion was $25.00.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish