My wife and I are regular guests of Sandals...This year for our 1st Anniversary, we wanted to visit an island we hadn't been to yet...So, February 10th-18th, it was off to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa..
Now first off, don't you dare pay any attention to the handful of "terrible" reviews on this site regarding the resort..It's absolutely beautiful!
We stayed on the Caribbean side in a Concierge Room..It was clean, spacious and our fridge was stocked daily with all of our favorite drinks..
The restaurants were full of great food and amazing atmosphere..Our favorite's were Mario's and Kimonos..Try the Lava Cake for desert at Mario's, it's an evil delight..
The beach was gorgeous...White sand, turquoise waters and very little wind made for restful lounging and sunbathing..The vendors out there were courteous and respectful..
There are several pools, however nothing beat the atmosphere at the largest one located below the Mediterranean buildings..The music was great, the water was warm yet still refreshing and the swim up bar really came in handy...My two favorite drinks besides their local beer "Waddalli" were the "Dirty Banana" and "Miami Vice" (both frozen drinks)...Other reviewers boasted about no "pool chair wars"...Unfortunately, the chair vultures are everywhere, this place being no exception..The resort even posts signs discouraging this behavior, however you'll quickly learn that if you can't beat'm, you might as well join'em..Just get your towel and magazine on your favorite chair by 8:30 or you might be forced somewhere less desireable..
Lots of people complained about mot getting restaurant reservations, or special treatment for some guests who don't have to wait in lines either at dinner or for seating at the pool..I'll save you some confusion...The guests that pay extra for Suites which include a Butler get special treatment..It's a little annoying at first, but I can totally understand..I know how much those options cost..How can you not expect some special amenities? Good for them, we were envious..
Anyway, we had an amazing time..It was romantic, relaxing and fun..If you're a returning Sandals guest, don't miss the Gala Dinner put on my Management..It was elegant, entertaining and they really know how to show their appreciation..
Thanks to all the wonderful staff..Everyone is helpful and accommodating..Other reviewers with the opposite opinion obviously expect to much from these people..They were great..We even had a guitar player/singer serenade us while we ate lunch on our last day to say goodbye...It was corny, but cute...
Although we plan to try a different Sandals on another island next year, I plan on insisting our return to Sandals Grande Antigua again soon! Cheers!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish