“A Resort with a split personality”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
London, United Kingdom
“A Resort with a split personality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have just come back from Christmas and New Years at the Sandals resort in Antigua. Last year we spent the same time at Sandals in St Lucia.
This resort suffers from a definite split personality. On the one side you have The Mediterranean Village which offers Concierge and Butler Suites throughout. This is supposed to be the better end of the resort, the Caribbean Village is older and rooms ( so we were told by other guests) did not have the size and amenities of the Mediterranean Village. Yet the resort is advertised as a luxurious experience throughout. Our room was large, very well appointed , had a full mini bar and ocean view so no complaints there except that the air conditioner was so noisy we had trouble sleeping at times. On the first day the concierge told us about the resort, booked a couple of restaurants ,took his tip and that was it, we never saw him again. If we wanted anything we had to go to the concierge desk in the lobby. Then we found Albert, a star and someone who went the extra mile every time. Best worker on the resort in my opinion. I asked for ice to be put in my room each day, never arrived. My wife was told to go to the ice machine herself, it was out of action so she was told to go up or down a floor herself. This is concierge service. I don't think so! The main pool is by the Med Village. Notices everywhere ask you not to reserve sun beds as it is unfair to other guests. Unless you are in a Butler suite in which case he reserves them for you. I asked the GM about this and he appeared totally uninterested in my q1uestion. When I suggested that all he had to do was remove the notice ( which was totally ignored anyway) he replied mumbling something about company policy and I should get up earlier if that was what I wanted. There was nobody higher than him so nothing to be done. You don’t want unhappy guests at your hotel but he really didn’t seem to care one way or another .
The food was Good in parts and OK in others, overall mediocre. Breakfast at OK Corral was good and served to the table ,Bayside was plentiful and buffet service as was Marios. The fine dining at Eleanor’s was the same standard as Bayside the only difference was you had to book for Eleanor’s which was somewhat pretentious. New Years was a let down compared to St Lucia with mediocre buffets offering a wide variety of hot foods and not enough places to sit and eat it. That was why the restaurants were open as well on new year’s so that people had a place to sit down !!
Entertainment was again mixed. We enjoyed the beach barbecue, and some of the bands in the evening but the pub was dire! Low lights and noisy with poor food.
So generally an OK holiday but not the high end luxury I expected and certainly not if staying in the wrong part of the resort.
Good points, the staff generally were excellent, plenty of places to get away from the noisy main pool and beautiful gardens and beach, but my suggestion would be to knock down the Caribbean side and do a massive rebuild so that the differences in standards disappear. Would I go back again or recommend this resort. No thank you, not at the prices charged.

Room Tip: Request your ocean view before you go if that is what you want.
8 Thank stephen s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,725)
  • Polish first
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spent 12/22-12/29/12 at Sandals.We initially booked a Mediterranean Monte Carlo suite but on arrival I asked if we could upgrade for a fee.They moved us to a Romeo and Juliette suite with Butler service.By upgrading at the resort we saved a lot of money on this room.Online it was three times the amount.The Butler service was a nice perk as we did not have to worry about finding a good beach spot,restaurant reservations or any arrangements that needed to be made.If it is worth it that will be up to you,For us it was.
Our room was very nice ,a large suite with a double balcony and a beautiful Ocean view.The bathroom was fine,two double sinks,jacuzzi although it does not have it's own AC vent so it did get warm,The only issue was our AC was slightly off,They did send someone but it was never really fixed properly.Also almost everything in Antigua is open air and they are ECO friendly so the Air is never on High,That was OK with me as they try and conserve energy and the environment.Housekeeping was fine but they did not replace toiletries unless we asked.
As far as the resort is concerned I thought it was lovely,Beautiful plants and trees etc,yes it is a large resort but it is very easy to get around.everything is about a five minute walk.We enjoyed the beach as the water was beautiful.There were also plenty of chairs for everyone.The beach did have vendors but they were very respectful.We booked a horseback riding trip with James,Easy Horseback riding on the beach and a snorkeling island tour on the Excellence arranged by Devon.The boat was very nice and the staff was great.The beach was great and very safe.The people from Antigua are lovely.We did stay at the pool in the late afternoon as our friends we met at the resort were mainly there.It was very nice and while it was busy it was not crazy with plenty of lounge chairs.I preferred the beach as the pool always has something going on.The drinks at all the bars were excellent and they arranged for Top shelf liquor in our room.The spa was fine although I pre booked online and there were errors.They did respect the errors and gave me a credit but it was annoying.The services were good but i do not rec.pre booking as they have a 24 hour cancellation policy prior to arrival of your trip.At the resort you can cancel the day before so.it makes no sense to pre book as there is no discount.
The FOOD was adequate at best.We stayed at a Excellence resort and thought the food was average but compared to Sandals it was Amazing.
The breakfast Buffet at Bayside was fine but they ran out of a few items and never replenished them,Especially the smoked Salmon.We liked Bayside for breakfast as it is right on the Ocean,also the staff was very nice in there..We also had room service for breakfast which was Ok but it had limited options,Also for some reason the fruit was not that great either at any of the restaurants.For lunch we ate mainly at Baystreet which we liked,Had dinner there which was not good at all..The Pizza is very good at Marios.
For dinner our first night we ate at Elenors.We had to beg for the table we wanted even though the restaurant was empty.I had the lobster which was just OK but my husband enjoyed his steak..We started with the fish cakes and Coconut Soup that was very good.The dessert looked good but was not tasty.We had a table outside so we did enjoy the atmosphere,The decor inside was very ordinary
The second evening we had Appetizers in the Sushi Bar.The Sushi was just Ok but I loved the atmosphere.For dinner we ate at Kimonos.Loved the concept as you have dinner with 5 couples,Again the food fell short but we met great people and had a blast.I would book this at the beg. of your trip as it was so much fun.
At Kimonos we met a couple who also was not thrilled with food so we went to dinner off-site to Le Bistro,it was romantic and excellent-close to the Hotel.
The following night we went with four couples to OK Coral which is their steak restaurant.You guessed it they ran out of steak.We all laughed at this point. My husband had a Hamburger that he enjoyed and I ordered the Tuna which I liked.The Atmosphere was just OK for me.
You guessed it the following night we all went out for dinner to Abra Cadabra,A casual Italian restaurant with excellent food.
Our last night we tried Elenors again,Our Butler made us a reservation and when we arrived they said they could not find it and wanted to turn us away, again even thought they were not full.They did seat us but this is not what i would call five star service.I do have to say that the servers in the resort at all the restaurants were very nice and always brought you whatever you asked for,The beach servers and Bartenders were excellent too.We met so many nice people and everyone complained about the food so hopefully someone from Sandals will see this.
The entertainment was fine but ended very early except for the pub which was lacking in atmosphere for me.One night we did go to the Piano bar,Again we had fun there and i did like the atmosphere..A lot of the people we met would have preferred a nicer place to dance.
There was a beach party barbecue that seemed OK but again the food looked commercial.
Overall we really had a nice time and met great people that we had so much fun with. This is not a five star resort but a definite 4,The crowd is mixed with all ages and wealth.This made for a comfortable relaxing place to stay.There were so any private areas to relax if that is what you wanted.I probably and the people I met there would not return to this resort due to the food as this is not a inexpensive resort but i would definitely return to Antigua.

Room Tip: Easy to upgrade for a fee at the resort-less money than doing so prior
8 Thank tasdiwine
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is our 3rd Sandals stay. The rooms are nice. The food is average (a bit bland). The staff are wonderful. The beach is nice, but is very accessible to anyone; Sandals has security posted at every entrance for this reason. We never struggled to find beach or pool chairs; although beach towels are difficult to find every day. The shower is a rain shower so a warning to those with long hair! It takes a while to get the shampoo out. Pillows are small and firm. I have to do physio every day so I noticed that the floors were not cleaned very well. We stayed at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village (Jamaica) last year and for us, it was worth the drive into the property. I would suggest the Whitehouse over all other Sandals for their pristine, vast, and what feels like a private beach. If you want a beach wedding... You wouldn't do that at Antigua. The Whithouse would be a true beach wedding with the amazing sunset photos as your back drop. Regardless of which one you pick, Sandals has a way of making your vacation wonderful.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. But some air conditioners are old and noisy, so pack earplugs...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Traveler154990
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Sandals Antigua in late December. The hotel gardens are very nice, the beach is nice and there is plenty of quite locations but this is just about where the positives stops.

We have stayed many times at the Grand Bahia's in the Dominican republic and Mexico and we found that Sandals, although 4 times the price does not even come close.

Transport: transport from airport was efficient and quick. The registration at the hotel was very cold, without a smile. (Except for our Butler who was much more smiling and welcoming who we met 1 hour after our arrival....)

service : Most staff at Sandals do not smile. I think this could be attributed to their no tipping policy. There is probably not much incentive for staff to deliver outstanding service. as for the Butler service, it is ok but not great. I would not buy the butler service again as i do not think what we are getting out of it is worth it for the price. sandals says to expect the unexpected....all we got out of it is chairs reserved at the pool or beach and some food delivered to the pool. Wesometimes had to follow up multiple times with the Butlers to get confirmation that our request was fulfilled (e.g. dinner reservations). Your mileagewillvary depending on the Butler you get. Note that having a Butler make your Dinner reservations is not a benefit as you do not havepriority overother guests for reservations.

activities. We were there for thenew year celebration and they had a very good band, singer and fireworks. Food for the new year celebration was ok but not great.

Restaurants : Food was ok but not great. Breakfast at OK corrals was a la carte and in pur opinion is the best place for breakfast at this hotel. The is two other restaurantfor breakfast offering buffet style breakfast. For dinner, we found Kimono to be good. OK corrals dinner was not very good. Baysideview restaurant dinner was good but the lunch at Bayside was nothing to be expected from a 5 star hotel.

Room : Room and bed was spacious, very comfortable and quiet. We had a room in the carribean side (bougainville)

Drinks: drink service for the beach not outstanding? Thewaiters go around very unfrequently. Pool is ok.

Mostly because we do not thing it is worth theprice we paid, wewould not go back nor recommend. Note that many other guest provided similar comments to us when we met them.

7 Thank MonAmiChoupette
stouffville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Antigua. Wonderful week of sun and relaxation. Upon arrival we were greeted with champagne and within 20 minutes we were in our room. We had a portifino walk out on the first floor of the cypress tower. Wonderful!!!! When choosing your room read other reviews. The Mediterrian side is newer and quiter, however a bit of a walk to Eleanors, Bayside, Ok Corral and Kimonos. The food in all the restaurants was wonderful. Don't be shy, as for 2 appetizers or double of an appetizers as the portions are small. We rented a cabana for 2 days at the main pool. That's the way to go. They bring you breakfast and lunch, you are guaranteed a lounge chair and some shade if you need it. Must mention Charmaine, and Aethna at the Main bar, as well as Anika who works both at Mario's and in the cabana. You were all awesome. We hired a cab to drive us around the island for 4 hours. $150 US it was worth it. Ask for Bill. You can book through the front desk. All the staff at the resort were pleasant. The beach was beautiful. Entertainment staff work hard. Don't worry about the beach vendors, just say no thankyou and they are on their way. They do not hassle you. There is always something to do, as they put an agenda in your room every evening for the next day. Go and enjoy. Great place even if you are not on your honeymoon.

Room Tip: think about whether you are looking for quite.... Mediterrean Side, or more of a party atmosphere...
9 Thank gone_again18
Bondurant, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I have never been on an all-inclusive vacation before, but we had heard so many wonderful things about Sandals Vacations -- so we decided to join in the fun. We chose Antigua because we were told that it was rated #1 in the WORLD in the Bridal Magazines As "Most romantic" for the past 15 years. We agree! It was more expensive than going to Jamaica or the Bahamas, but we felt that we were worth it, but now that we have gone to Antigua -- we don't know where else we could ever go that we would ever enjoy this much.

I will try to go through our trip in bullet points to help someone that has never been there....Trip advisor helped us plan our trip so I hope my review does that for someone else.

**Kerrie Anne in the Cricketers is WONDERFUL along with Hersilla and Troy. They make you feel comfortable and welcomed. Cricketers is open every night until like 1am and they have wonderful fun atmosphere - each night is different. Karaoke to a DJ to other fun things. Cricketers attire is pretty much whatever you want to wear - male or female. Kerrie Anne is wonderful at making margaritas. And they also have a small menu until close.

**There is a board posted outside the building around the corner across from the photoshop that you can always see what is going on a week at a time. It is called the "Activities Board".

**The Playmakers Team on the resort is amazing! They keep the resort moving if you will...they keep the people that are guests feeling loved all the time. Kevin, MoJo, Chanice, Antonio, and Emmanuel were especially friendly to my husband and I and we are still keeping in touch with them. They are fun, funny, and had just the perfect personality for their jobs. They were all AMAZING and went out of their way we saw multiple times to help other people and to make sure they knew where they were going or to find out what they could do to help. The love is always is in the air when the playmakers are around.

**The PhotoShop Staff - will always be around taking photos. Javier and Nicole were very sweet. Marianne also is very sweet! All of them take great photos and they are so much fun. The photos at the end of your trip =- you can go pick which ones you want and then you can purchase whatever you want. We also did the free Sunset Photo Shoot with Javier -- it was wonderful! We had not had any pics taken of just the two of us like that since our wedding twenty years prior. So it was great.

**I spent time two times at the Red Lane Spa. I had a french manicure and a "feet first" massage. IT WAS HEAVEN. Sandra did my feet...she was fantastic. Loving and sweet. I feel bad I can't remember the woman who did my nails but I wish I did -- the nails were gorgeous. Everyone in the Red Lane Spa were friendly and helpful. If you are coming to Antigua -- be sure to budget some extra cash when you come so you can enjoy yourself there. My husband and I did not do a couples massage but I heard lots of great things about it.

**We also did the Sunset Cruise - it is only on Friday nights. It is wonderful! Well worth the money. Met good friends and was a lot of fun.

**We also went to Shirley Heights -- a really fun excursion as well. Lots of people and a real flavor of the caribbean life outside of the resort. It is great view for sunset photos also.

**The restaurants are wonderful and not one restaurant had BAD food. We went to Kimonos the first night so that we could meet some people -- you will find that it is nice to be able to say hello to some folks as you are walking down the resort or see people that you know in the pool. Teddy Bear and Romaine were so much fun that night at Kimonos. Teddy Bear went out of his way to fix my food first since I have food allergies. Totally amazing. We also really enjoyed Mario's -- every single day for breakfast. Bayside also has breakfast. Both have big buffets and they are just fantastic. My husband really liked Mario's chocolate dessert for dinner - the Chocolate Melting Lava dessert. And for lunch quite often we went to Barefoot. Really yummy quesadillas and ribs. At lunch you can wear whatever you want no matter where you go. At dinner -- its just kind of a given ...most women dress up in flowy skirts and pretty tops or dresses. Men wear fun beach pants or dress pants and closed shoes. If you go to a restaurant like Eleanor's, Mario's, or Kimonos and you are a man and you are not dressed appropriately you will be turned away.

**The beach sand is extremely soft and the vendors are there -- but they are not ever rude. We actually had one of them braid my hair for $2 a braid and we bought LOTS of jewlery from them. They are easy to lower their prices and they are much cheaper than here at home. We also went on the shopping excursion into town. Same price as if you took your own taxi. And we had a lot of fun in St. Johns buying things for our families back home.

**An overall review -- EXTREMELY WORTH THE MONEY! Next time all we will pack will literally be 2 swimsuits a piece. I will bring only skirts, tops, dresses (no jeans or capris) I might bring one or two pairs of shorts) I wore shorts one time in 2 weeks. I will bring sandals and flip flops and my sarong (swim suit cover up) bug spray and sunscreen. He will bring dress pants, shirts, 2 swim suits, closed toe shoes and sandals - we will bring jewelry and of course all of our meds and toiletries. That is about it. We are already planning our next trip for November-December 2013 to ANTIGUA again...Same resort with Sandals. Can't wait to see All of you again....Kevin, Mojo, Kerrie Anne, etc etc etc etc etc

We miss everyone greatly -- we have pics up around the house of our trip to keep us sane...The countdown is already begun until we meet again. :)

Room Tip: Mediterranean Rooms are fancier -- we stayed in the Venetian Overview Suite...it was perfect for us...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ckhamill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just returned from a 7 night stay at this amazing resort (Dec 22-29 2012). Travelled with 6 family members and my husband, and we fell in love with this hotel and the island of Antigua. We've all travelled extensively to AI 5-star resorts in the Caribbean (other Sandals in Jamaica and Bahamas, Iberostar and Secrets) and all agree that this resort is our new favourite. In fact, we plan to return next year for Christmas and New Years! If you are thinking of coming to this resort, do not hesitate - book right away. I've outlined several highlights of our trip below. The only negative part of our vacation was the very long wait to get through customs at the Antigua airport, but that has nothing to do with the resort and to be expected when travellign during peak season.
Beach/Grounds - Resort property was beautifully kept and clean at all times. Gorgeous greenery, pools were lovely and clean, it's obvious the staff works hard to maintain the grounds. We really enjoyed that there are enough pool/beach loungers for everyone and we did not experience the 'chair wars' that often occur at other resorts. Some days we did not make it to the pool until later in the morning and were always able to get a lounger. The view of the sea and beach is absolutely breathtaking, Dickinson's Bay is just stunning and we walked the entire beach daily. The beach vendors will try to sell their wares, but they are very polite and will only approach you if you show interest.
Staff/Entertainment - We found everyone who worked at this resort to be exceptionally friendly and hard working. Part of our decision to return to this resort is based on the warm, friendly staff we encountered - they just can't do enough for you. Everything we asked for, we got with a smile - and we only had a basic room category, no butler or anything fancy. The resort also gave us a free room upgrade on check in because we're returning Sandals guests. The entertainment staff was great, there were plenty of activities in which to participate, but no pressure to do so. Several nights we enjoyed dancing to live music under the stars - coudn't have asked for more. Some of my family members did the water sports and scuba diving, they raved about it and enjoyed the adventure. The tennis courts and gym are apparently well equipped, according to my family members. I should mention that Santa himself made a visit to the resort and posed for photos with the guests on the beach and the pool!
Room - We had a basic room in the AlmondTower. It was very nicely appointed, cleaned meticulously daily by our maid. We liked that we could customize our minibar. Showers were always hot, with great water pressure. Our balcony gave us a great view of the entire resort and ocean, fantastic for enjoying a glass of wine or coffee before dinner. Beds were comfortable and we had a nice sleep every night.
Food/Beverages - We ate at all of the restaurants at the hotel during our stay and enjoyed every meal immensely. I am a very picky eater, and cannot say enough about the quality of the food - it was well prepared, excellent portion sizes and served with a smile always. My favourite restaurant was OK Corral (fajitas were fabulous) while my husband loved the lobster tails at Eleanors. Kimono's was a really fun group dining experience and Marios had a wonderful romantic atmosphere. Bayside on the water was just superb for breakfast and we loved having a relaxed beach lunch at Barefoot. The drink selection is extensive, and we attempted to try everything - amongst our favourite beverages were: the ReggaeTop, Hummingbird, Mudslide, Dirty Banana, Strawberry Daquiri, Mohito. My husband enjoyed the house red wine, and I also liked the champagne. I must add that the drinks were not syrupy or too sweet, made fresh with real fruit and top quality liquors, refreshing and delicious.
In summary, I don't know how anyone can say negative things about this place. Coming from an experienced traveller, it's absolutely heavenly and we wish we could've stayed another week (or two). It's a wonderful resort for couples and 18+ families - we will return in 2013 for sure! Thanks Sandals Antigua for an amazing Christmas holiday!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,644 reviews

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!