We have just come back from Christmas and New Years at the Sandals resort in Antigua. Last year we spent the same time at Sandals in St Lucia.
This resort suffers from a definite split personality. On the one side you have The Mediterranean Village which offers Concierge and Butler Suites throughout. This is supposed to be the better end of the resort, the Caribbean Village is older and rooms ( so we were told by other guests) did not have the size and amenities of the Mediterranean Village. Yet the resort is advertised as a luxurious experience throughout. Our room was large, very well appointed , had a full mini bar and ocean view so no complaints there except that the air conditioner was so noisy we had trouble sleeping at times. On the first day the concierge told us about the resort, booked a couple of restaurants ,took his tip and that was it, we never saw him again. If we wanted anything we had to go to the concierge desk in the lobby. Then we found Albert, a star and someone who went the extra mile every time. Best worker on the resort in my opinion. I asked for ice to be put in my room each day, never arrived. My wife was told to go to the ice machine herself, it was out of action so she was told to go up or down a floor herself. This is concierge service. I don't think so! The main pool is by the Med Village. Notices everywhere ask you not to reserve sun beds as it is unfair to other guests. Unless you are in a Butler suite in which case he reserves them for you. I asked the GM about this and he appeared totally uninterested in my q1uestion. When I suggested that all he had to do was remove the notice ( which was totally ignored anyway) he replied mumbling something about company policy and I should get up earlier if that was what I wanted. There was nobody higher than him so nothing to be done. You don’t want unhappy guests at your hotel but he really didn’t seem to care one way or another .
The food was Good in parts and OK in others, overall mediocre. Breakfast at OK Corral was good and served to the table ,Bayside was plentiful and buffet service as was Marios. The fine dining at Eleanor’s was the same standard as Bayside the only difference was you had to book for Eleanor’s which was somewhat pretentious. New Years was a let down compared to St Lucia with mediocre buffets offering a wide variety of hot foods and not enough places to sit and eat it. That was why the restaurants were open as well on new year’s so that people had a place to sit down !!
Entertainment was again mixed. We enjoyed the beach barbecue, and some of the bands in the evening but the pub was dire! Low lights and noisy with poor food.
So generally an OK holiday but not the high end luxury I expected and certainly not if staying in the wrong part of the resort.
Good points, the staff generally were excellent, plenty of places to get away from the noisy main pool and beautiful gardens and beach, but my suggestion would be to knock down the Caribbean side and do a massive rebuild so that the differences in standards disappear. Would I go back again or recommend this resort. No thank you, not at the prices charged.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, TravelUp, HotelsClick, Jetsetter, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish