We decided to go to this resort to escape our UK winter weather. We had a one bed suite on the top floor of the Mediterranean section with lovely views over the resort and out to sea. Our two butlers were very attentive the first week but this dropped off during the second week when they had new people to impress. Our suite comprised a large bedroom with four poster bed and a large spa bath at one end and large windows at the other. The balcony was a delight for enjoying breakfast/lunch or dinner and just having a drink whilst watching the sunset and the cruise liners arrive and leave.
The restaurants were of a good standard, although the OK Corral was a disappointment and we did not return. Loved the Barefoot by the Sea for lunch. Staff were very attentive and friendly.We were there for New Years Eve and they really made an effort to make a special occasion, even though a few showers made the place a bit soggy.
The sea was lovely and warm, as were the two pools we used. The beach is not private and became very crowded at times. But then we could always retreat to a pool on site. It was good having our preferred sun loungers booked for us by our butler each morning, and being escorted to our chosen restaurant in the evenings.
We did take a taxi into St Johns a couple of times but it was so crowded with people off the several cruise ships that we did not spend too much time there.
We did enjoy the Segway experience that we booked through the Sandals tour desk. We tried to book a helicopter ride but kept being told that they needed another couple to join us - this couple never materialised and so the trip was abandoned.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday at this Sandals resort. We were disappointed that they charged for wi fi when we had paid top prices for the holiday. That is a rather shabby trick by Sandals which I hope they stop. Apart from that, I hope they keep the standard that we enjoyed. I do hope they NEVER turn it into a noisy, constant loud music location which makes you feel as if you have been taken to a cheap 18 - 30's holiday destination. I would like to return some day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish