We visited Sandals Antigua in January. We had previously had a number of booking problems so when we did actually arrive, Virgin Holidays had made sure that everything ran smoothly. We had a private transfer and were checked into our room quite quickly.
We were on a 7 night holiday, getting married on the third day. I must say overall our experience was wonderful. We were in the Mediterranean Village and were upgraded to Venetian Suite which meant that we had a wonderful view of the resort and out to sea. Our room was exactly as described and except for an electrical socket in the bathroom not working, everything was functioning exactly as it should. Our room was looked after very well and our bar topped up regularly. (Could have done with a few more English tea bags though. If you like your tea, could be a good idea to stick a few in you suitcase.)
We went with the flow when it came to getting restaurant reservations. If we didn't get our first choice, generally our second choice was available. We ate in Mario's (very nice for buffet breakfast and lunch but dinner on our wedding day was ruined by a very noisy group people on a freebee). Kimonos was fun and the food was good, Barefoot by the Sea was lovely, very good food and friendly staff. The worst meals we experienced were in Bayside. Just not the standard that we had had elsewhere.
Overall we found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. It was apparent that some were new for the opening of the Med Village but generally we only experienced good service.
Our wedding was amazing. Just what we wanted. Quiet and romantic and stress free. The coordinators were very efficient and everything went like clockwork. We were worried that it would feel a little bit like a production line but the ladies managed to personalise every wedding and it was certainly a special day for us. The photographer was brilliant. The hardest thing was whittling down over a hundred pictures to an album full.
If we should decide to re-visit Sandals Antigua, which would like to do in the future, I think we would choose the Caribbean Grove because we preferred the atmosphere - more Caribbean!!! We couldn't fault the Med Village though. It was beautifully laid out and incredibly oppulent. Just a bit too big! The pool on the Med side is stunning so we followed suit and put our towels out early to get a spot. It was very busy (with a group of 200 construction workers on an incentive) so on the one day we didn't, we literally wandered the whole resort before we found somewhere to sit.
To summarise, we had an absolutely brilliant time! It was beautiful but we will be trying other places before we come back. We do feel that we could book a similar standard of holiday elsewhere for a lot less money.
Our two main negatives were.... lack of environmental awareness when it came to laundry. There was no control over the use of pool towels meaning thousands of towels being unnecessarily laundered daily. Secondly, the block booking of 200 construction workers who were very noisy should not have been accepted into a hotel which markets itself as "Romantic".
On a positive note, a big thank you to Maudlin and Luanne the wedding coordinators. They were fantastic! :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish