Couples only resort, majority of guests were from America or Canada.
We stayed for 2 weeks over Christmas & New Year 2011/12 - christmas was low-key but very nice and New Years Eve was a brilliant evening - with fireworks, entertainment, dancing etc etc.
We stayed in the caribbean side (grande luxe walkout beachfront sunset concierge room) - so many rooms to choose from so be sure you pick one to suit what you're after. Location does make a difference in this resort so if you're OK to pay extra would definitely recommend doing so to get the better rooms. Caribbean side is much quieter (and such a short distance to walk to the livelier side).
King size bed very comfortable & good quality pillows - slept so well every night. Room service was spot on and mini-bar refreshed daily.
We were happy with the restaurant and food choices - stone baked pizza a real hit! We're vegetarian and still managed to find plenty to variety (impressed to see tofu on the menu). Some restaurants to need to be pre-booked so good to have a concierge room as they do all the arrangements for you (even managed to squeeze us in a fully booked restaurant on our first night).
We stopped by the coffee shop each day (good coffee selection + homemade biscuits and cakes).
Good selection of drinks - shame the cocktails were made up using syrups rather than fresh juices though - also never seemed to have mint for mojito's.
It is a public beach so not exclusive - nice to have a few beach vendors to haggle with, but the beach can get busier on "cruise ship days" with day-trippers being dropped off in the morning and picked up late-afternoon (the security guards do a good job of keeping the day-trippers off the sandals beach beds.
Hired a car for the day which was well worth it - saw everything we wanted to & felt very safe - locals very friendly and happy to point you in the right direction when you get a little lost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish