We have just returned from the Grande Antigua. On arrival we were at first aprehensive that we had been upgraded as we chose our room for location within the resort as I do have limited mobility. I needn't have worried, we were given a room on the Med side and it was just beautiful. As the restaurants are split between the two villages there really wasn't a problem and the walk between the two is only a very pleasant 3 minutes. I cannot praise the resort enough, ok, there are still a few teething problems, i.e. shortage of staff and also during our first week a fight most mornings to get beds around the new pool. However, this was resolved the second week when another 200 beds were delivered. My husband and I experience fine dining on a regular basis and I honestly can not fault the food in any of the restaurants we ate in (OK Corral, Marios, Bayside,English Pub, Barefoot, Eleanors & Pizza Parlour). On two nights due to ill health (Chest infections we brought with us) we were allowed room service and that was faultless also. One criticism and that is the Pizza menu could be a little more extensive.
The pool on the Med side is stunning, you even have Rudy delivering drinks within the pool, a great idea. Gavin is brilliant in the poolbar and Jerry running the Cabanas with Tashoya and Ainslie do a fine job. Hello to Stacey in the Pizza restaurant also.
Theresanne in the Signature Guests dept. was brilliant. We had a family bereavment during our stay and were very touched when she arrived with flowers to the room.
One point which did annoy us was the lady (I assume from Sandals) who met us at the airport. I have never wanted to slap someone so quickly after meeting them before. We were asked our names and then with no other conversation she just clicked her fingers at us and hustled us into a minibus. When you consider this is likely to be the first person you speak to on arrival on the Isalnd, and certainly Sandals, it really is not the best introduction.
To conclude: the resort is fantastic, the staff very friendly, food excellent, gardens and grounds beautiful. This was our 4th Sandals, now our favourite (already booked our return).
Finally we found the evening entertainment the best of the 4 Sandals we have been too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish