Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Antigua Village(St. John's)
View Hotel
Siboney Beach Club(St. John's)
  • Breakfast included
Trade Winds Hotel(St. John's)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Coconut Beach Club(St. John's)
  • Breakfast included
7,056 results
All reviewsok corralbutler servicecaribbean sidedrunken duckmediterranean villagemain poolsushi barbayside restaurantcafe de parisred lane spaclub levelcaribbean groveswim up barour honeymoonmediterranean poolpiano barbutler suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 23, 2007

Our last vacation- our honeymoon- was hands down the best vacation ever! My mother is a travel agent and I have traveled extensively; Sandals Grande Antigua far exceeded my high expectations. I am begging my husband to go back. It was a perfect 9 nights!

I have never walked into a hotel room to find dinner waiting for us, wrapped up at 11:30 PM. Not to mention on Oct. 6, there was a fabulous party taking place when we checked in. It was the culmination of the opening week for the Mediterranean Village. We also enjoyed the hospitality from the moment we walked in. Hot towels, champagne while we waited. The first room was not ocean view like we paid for, but the next morning they moved us to a room steps from the beach.

The property is huge and we got lost at first, but help was always nearby. The grounds are kept beautiful and we loved spending time in paradise. The people on the island are so friendly and kind. No problem was always the answer to our questions.

Sheldon is the best butler! He is the MAN! He really made us so comfortable and we enjoyed the use of the cell phone. I want Sheldon for our next vacation to a Sandals in Jamaica! He worked so hard and was enjoyable to talk to. The butler service was out of this world! We made good friends on the trip and will be going back to another Sandals soon.

The food and beverages were top notch! We really enjoyed everyplace we ate and drank at. I love cooking and the food quality was excellent. I liked the wine and champagne too. I My husband got used to drinking Red Stripe. The swim up bar with Gavin was awesome. We got a great tan and had fun! We also liked Kimono's with Chef Sugar and Baby Shaq. Room service was delicious too! Breakfast in bed is key!

We had a romantic dinner on the beach, took a circumnavigation tour with some friends we made from NY, used the Red Lane Spa, played bingo and sand volleyball.

We will absolutely be coming back and bringing our friends and family. I'm hooked! The trip was just outstanding!

Melisa and Lou Camp IV
Phoenix, AZ

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CoachCamp
Reviewed November 21, 2007

we have just returned from sandals antigua and it was the best resort we have stayed at .ic gran lido and couples resorts .
we stopped in the caribbean village side and found rooms great , people we fantastic and could not do enough for you .
we took the time and trouble to get to know staff , and found this paid dividends as they took time for you .
we joined in alot of the activities .
if you read complaints take with a pinch of salt as i can see no reason for complaint in any form . i think some people put themselves above others .
go have a good time and relax.....

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank timengland
Reviewed November 20, 2007

The new addition to this resort, Med. Village is amazing! We splurged for the Monte Carlo Suite, and it was completely worth the money. We heard a few not so great things about the older side and the cottages.

The food is average, except for Mario's Italian, which has better meals than you'd ever expect from an all-inclusive (small portions, order from every phase of the menu).

The service is very slow everywhere, so be ready. It takes a day or two to get used to, but at some point you'll realize that you have nowhere to be anyway. The employees are very friendly as long as you treat them as people. They'll talk and joke with you if you do the same with them. But if you expect fast service, you'll surely be disappointed.

The beaches are beautiful, and are kept very clean. The main pool is gorgeous, while the other ones could use some attention. If you want a spot at the pool, get there early; really early.

Mosquitos ARE a problem, especially after dark, so bring the 'Off'. The fogger guy goes through every day in the early morning and again at dusk, spraying a repellent that smells horrible and doesn't seem to be effective for a very long period of time. He does wear a mask, so I think it's probably best not to breathe the stuff.

The tours are good, and the tour guides are very personable and informative.

Overall, this vacation was perfect. The only thing I would definitely do differently next time would be to book my own flight. We had two connections each way, and the airline service was horrible (United Airlines, in case you're wondering).

2  Thank biglebronski
Reviewed November 19, 2007

My wife and I just spent a week at Sandals Antigua and we loved it. We stayed in the Mediterranean Village on the 7th floor which had a breathtaking ocean view. Seemed like others staying on the older Caribbean side were not as thrilled about their rooms. Our room was fairly large with a spacious bathroom, dual sinks, walk-in shower, whirlpool tub, etc. The food was great with many different restaraunts to choose from- we were always able to find at least one thing on every menu. We liked Kimonos the best as did most other guests we spoke to. The pool was incredible and was big enough to give everyone plenty of room to enjoy. Many people went down before breakfast to claim pool side lounge chairs and floats which was a bit annoying but we seemed to find a spot most days regardless. The beach was even better- clean and like powder, the ocean water temp was about the same as the pool and very clear. We spent an entire afternoon in the ocean without incident but did witness one guy catch a couple of jelly fish stings. We also heard reports of bug bites but came prepared with Repel which worked very well. We also did a couples message at the spa which I would highly recommend- it was our first of many to come! There was certainly room for improvement- expect island service which is a bit slower than a typical restaurant in the U.S. We went early on most nights which worked for us. We also asked for upgraded liquor in our room (which was pointed out to us on our orientation) but never received it even after several phone calls. There were vents in the bathroom and the bathroom had no doors so any work going on in the hallway, construction vehicles nearby, etc. could be heard- not for light sleepers; take something to drown out the sounds if that stuff bothers you. All in all, it was a great trip and I would recommend it to anyone. The reviews on this site really helped us prepare for our trip.

1  Thank DoYouFoo
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Just spent 2 weeks 19th Oct - 2nd Nov at Sandals Antigua, after reading other reviews before we went I was a bit concerned espically as this was our honeymoon, but I was very impressed with what I saw, I have been all over the world staying at some wonderful resorts, but sandals antigua is the best i've ever stayed at.
We stayed in the older part of the resort, and got a free upgrade to a premium deluxe room as it was our honeymoon, although the rooms where a bit dated they still included 4 poster bed, mini fridge, hair drier, large television, 2 seater couch, safe, vanity area, large shower/bath, air conditioning and ceiling fan. As far as i'm concerned this is more than enough after all i'm in Antigua why sit in the room? We had fresh towels everyday and the bed made everyday and the mini-bar topped up each day.
Another myth about the staff was unfounded, over the 2 weeks we where there we must of had over 500+ staff say "good morning" or ask "how I was doing", the watersports staff are really nice and try and get lots of people involved especially David,Claudine and Teaspoon, just ask David how he got on playing volleyball against me!!! We got on so well we exchanged contact details so we could stay in touch, so if you are going to this resort in the future if your friendly then they will be friendly. Watching certain people from certain nations they treated the staff like slaves and didn't respond to them I felt so annoyed I nearly said something to these people, staff would ask questions to a group on a table and nobody would answer the staff, as far as i'm concerned that is rude and no wonder the staff didn't speak to them!!! enough of that though, just be Friendly :-)

Food - The food was all interesting, I am a vegetarian so I was a bit unsure how well I would be catered for but I have no compliants, at the end of the day you could get whatever type of food you wanted, if you wanted a burger, chips, pizza during the day you could get it, if you wanted shrimps, lobster, marlin you could have that. We ate at all the restaurants our favourite was Kimono's the food is wonderful but the chef's make the experience I laughed all night, the worst place to eat is the Cricketers Arms, even though we're from England and that was meant to be an English pub, i'm glad we don't have pubs like that in England, if you want any food this side of Christmas stay away!!!

Trips - The first week we just stayed on the resort, the second week we took a trip to St.John's looking for local presents something a bit different, we where so dissappointed it's just geared up for tourist trash, cheap t-shirts, tea towels. We purchased some alchol and perfume as his was a lot cheaper but only spent 3 hours there.
We went on a horse riding trip to Falmouth, this is the only proper horse riding place on the island, around the island you will see lots of horses chained up around a tree with no water and no grass, don't use these horses as your money is not helping the horses, we went to SpringHill Rid6ing Club and rode out with an American girl called Laurie she was very nice and very knowledgeable and we went on a short ride to a secluded beach where we could gallop up and down and then take the horses into the sea which is a very special experience

Gardens - Although the new Med Village does look nice and grand, the vegetation hasn't had a chance to grow and the hotel looks like anything else across Europe, whereas the older side the vegetation takes it into a league of its own and made it much more carribean

Air conditioning in the room was good never had any problems, one night the tap broke when I tightened it, on my way to dinner I told reception and 1 hour later it was fixed.

Facilities - There where 2 tennis courts (floodlit) which could be used at any time, a gym which was open 24 hours, the Red Lane spa was really nice, possibly a bit over priced!!! Big pool in med. village very nice but very crowded, but there where 5 other smaller pools around the resort which where empty most of the time.
Went out a couple of times on the Sandals boat to go Snorkeling very good and best of all Free!!
We where fortunate to be in Antigua on there Independance Day (1st November) there where parades, partys, dancing and loads more which showed that the people of Antigua are all proud of there nation, its a shame all countries don't celebrate like them.
There are 3 pool tables which you can play at any time situated in the reception area located next to the 2 parrots, there is also a table tennis table, giant chess, boars games and much much more.

Romance - As for a romantic resort, this is heaven you can just sit there and relax in each others company, admitantly you have to pay if you wanted roses and candles in your room or a meal on the beach, of which I did both after all you only get one honeymoon.

We went there for 2 weeks it felt we where there for 2 months in a good way, definatly will be back again

11  Thank RalphyBear