We stayed at the Rex from 6/30 - 7/07. Here is our review:
ROOM: We recieved a complimentary up grade to a beach front room that was only steps away from the beach. Although not sumptious, the room was fine for our needs, espcially since we had an incredible view of the ocean. The bathroom was a bit run-down, and the windows were foggy with a mist that detracted from the view. As everyone has said, the rooms need to be refurbished. Our air-conditioning was superd though, and the maids did a nice job. Ours was room number 305. So, the room was steps from the beach, with great air conditioning, nice TV, and a dingy bathroom.
BEACH: The beach is wonderful. Turquiose calm waters, and not at all crowded. If I may make one negative commment, it is that there is nothing there to see for those who enjoy to snorkle. The waters are turbid due to the fine sand, andd thus they are cloudy under the surface.
FOOD: We were not all-inclusive, but we did eat dinner at the Warri pier twice, and once for lunch. The view was lovely and we had no problems with the food, in fact it was delicious!
STAFF: Everyone was kind to us regardless of how we tipped them.
CAR RENTALS: We rented a jeep through Avis at the airport for $270.00 for seven days. This was a great deal, and you can get it through Continental Airlines. Yes, there are many potholes on the streets, but it wasn't that bad. This is an island remember, and of course there isn't money to refurbish the streets.
RESTAURANTS: If you are not all-inclusive please try: Julian's (Fantasttic gourmet food, the filet was incredible!), Le Bistro ( excellent French food, excellent service), The Beach (wonderful lobster, sushi, ribs etc, the Beach is a great spot on the water) Coconut Grove (next to the Beach, fantastic Lobster and fresh fish). Honestly, Julians and Le Bistro were fantastic, please get out and try them!!
BOTTOM LINE: The Rex is not a sumptuious hotel, and we heard others complain about their "standard" accommadations, so beware. We were satisfied with our room, but remember, we had one heck of an upgrade! One thing to note: we shared the SAME beach as those who were at Sandals, and they paid twice as much as we did! Also, VERY IMPORTANT: the Sandals resort has not "palapas" or "umbrellas" for shade. For this reason, their beach was practically empty everyday. Do not think we aren't accustomed to excellent hotels: we are! We have been to the Ritz in Meixco, Sands at Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos, the Westin in Grand Cayman, the (relatively) new Sandals in Grand Bahama island, ut we got a great deal here at the Rex, so we took it. We have no regrets!
OTHER HOTELS: Sandals has a nice beach, well-manicured gardens/waterfalls, but no shade for their beach dwellers. Hawksbill had beaches that were not half as nice as the Rex. Jolly Harbor was nice with a cute casino, but the entire place is HUGE, and people are driven around in golf carts due to the enormous distance between the beach and the rooms/restaurnats.
Please email me if you have questions-
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoying a pristine picture postcard beach front location, the Halcyon Cove by rex resorts offers the very essence of a perfect Caribbean setting. Beautiful glistening waters gently lap at the palm-fringed white sands of Dickenson Bay where guests can recline beneath the palm-frond parasols or exert some energy on a variety of water sports. International buffet breakfast and dinner cuisine is served at the Arawak Terrace restaurant or treat yourself at the Warri Pier a-la-carte restaurant featuring speciality grills and lobster in its unique setting over the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Hotel St. John`s
- Halcyon Cove Antigua
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Resorts Antigua/Saint John Parish
- Rex Halcyon Cove Resort
- Rex Halcyon Antigua