“Great location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ajax, Canada
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this resort Feb 2-9
Was not happy with first room 525. Room outdated. Bedspread not clean!!!!did not want to unpack. Thought we'd made a big mistake coming here! Bathroom had facet that was not attached properly. Tub so old and worn that it looked dirty,rusty,mouldy. We felt uncomfortable having shower. Complained immediately, was told they were full and to check next day. Would give it a 1 star.
Did not unpack. Unfortunately overview of resort looked dated!

Was moved on the 5th to 393 near lobby. Fantastic. Room was brighter. Bathroom updated. Linens new/clean ! finally unpacked.
Our overview of the resort changed drastically once we were happy with accommodations. Would give it a 4 star.
Beautiful resort. Most of staff amazing. Food was great. Lots of choice. Chef Dale great job ! Lisa amazing at omelets always had a smile. Great worker. Bernadette was a great server. Dolsten and Orlando fantastic bartenders. Really enjoyed our time in the boat with Ashton and Sherika. Learned a lot about Antigua. Had a wonderful tour in SUV with Gary as our guide
Beach beautiful !
Would recommend resort and would return only if got updated bathroom. It's a shame that they are still having guests staying in rooms that should NOT be used.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have been to Antigua quite a few times now, and usually stay at the paradise which is Blue Waters. However, on this occasion, paradise was full, and Halcyon Cove is just around the corner (and much cheaper) I think it's safe to say that in future, i'll stick with what i know.
Upon arriving late afternoon after an 8 hour flight from London, I was not impressed at the welcome I received. No nice rum punch and cool face wipes and I had to wait nearly an hour for my room. During this hour, i attempted to get a rum punch from the bar in the lobby....but the bar was closed (opens at 6pm)

When I finally got to my room, i was pleasantly surprised (I later found out we had been upgraded from a lead-in category to a pool view) The room was a very good size, with a patio/terrace, and practically on the beach. The beds were a little hard, but that wasn't a problem. I did find there was minimal lighting in the room...it definitely could've been brighter. Other than that, the bedroom was ok.
The bathroom, however, was a different story. There were no shelves for toilettries and the bathroom itself was very dingey. The shower looked like it could be good, but lots of the little jets were blocked, meaning water trickled out. Being female with long hair, washing it took forever. Also, the water was brown...eeew. I did make staff aware of this, though nothing was done about it.
Next stop was the beach....Dickenson Bay. Absolutely beautiful beach, with some really friendly vendors...They weren't too much hassle. As soon as i told them i knew quite a few locals and didnt need any of the junk they were selling, the either left me alone, or became quite good friends to chat to throughout the day. All in all, absolutely no complaints about the beach.
Onto the restaurants..Gaaahhhhh. Breakfast was like the whole hotel descending on the breakfast room at the same time. No staff to see us to a table. We would have to ask for a coffee about 3 times and it generally wasnt very nice. We later found that breakfast was also available by the pool bar, so we gave that a go. Marginally better, but only as there weren't so many people there! That changed at lunchtime though. Nowhere to sit as there aren't enough spaces, a salad bar consisting of lettuce and beetroot, and a hot buffet consisting of pasta or burgers and hot dogs.
After speaking with one of the duty managers (i think mario....lovely guy!) about all of my little complaints, more salad dishes materialised, and we were offered a complimentary dinner at Warri Pier. This was a very nice gesture, and the dinner itself was superb, with a beautiful setting.
I did encounter a few rude staff....one or two at the pool bar, and one in particular in housekeeping.
The grounds of the hotel are ok. They do need maintaining more, lots of cracks in pathways, paint needed on walls etc.
A nice touch was on departure and having a late flight, Mario had arranged us another room we could move to until we left after checking out.
All in all, my holiday was only OK. I wouldn't return, and will definitely be sticking with what i know. But if you're after something cheap, and arent planning on spending much time at the hotel, then this will be fine.

Room Tip: Try to get a pool or oceanview room, they are much bigger, and if you overlook the beach, it's l...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank amyp123

Travelers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Fonthill, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have been to this resort 4 times now! If you need a five star resort with something on the go all the time, and ice sculptures at the buffet, the Halcyon will not be for you. But...if you would like a smaller, friendly, relaxing resort in a great location, we can recommend it! The resort is older and different areas have been updated each time we've arrived. The rooms are large, comfortable and clean, if a little tired looking. We had booked a garden room, but were given one on the third floor (no elevators!), which, although not ocean front, had a (limited) ocean view-very lovely at sunset. The buffet restaurant is large and open air. The ala carte restaurant is built at the end of a short pier, over the water, and is very romantic-old creaky wooden floors, white gingerbread trim in the window openings, and the most beautiful view, both in the daytime and after dark, as the lights come on around the bay. A new chef arrived at Halcyon a year ago, and the food is now tastier, more varied and more interesting than previously- excellent soups and desserts! New, to us at least, this year- breakfast served not only in the buffet restaurant, but also outside at the beachside restaurant- wonderful! The frontline staff are very friendly- we enjoy seeing our favourites when we return each time. The beach is great-usually fairly calm and long enough for a good walk. There is some entertainment each evening, often local bands or dance troupes, but nothing too elaborate, with the exception of the Fire Man performance!
At the risk of becoming one of those couples who have been "going to the same resort for 28 years in a row", we would love to return to the Halcyon, and probably will!

Room Tip: We had booked a garden room (least expensive option) but were given room 350, which had a (limited...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Linda V
Hurricane, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

It was late when we arrived and had to wait for someone to check us in (about 1 hour and it was around midnight). The temperature was very hot and we were not even offered a bottle of water. The room was extremely hot! The air conditioner could not keep the room cool day or night. Cleaning stuff was left in the shower and made it very slick! I actually fell! The food was ok but, nothing great.

Room Tip: The catamaran that meets at Sandals (same beach area) is a must!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bracebridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

So I booked here for what I thought was cheap for this island, but would I spend the money again, probably not. I have stayed in a lot worse and a lot better places for less. It is a short distance from the airport which was nice, upon check in we were one of the first small buses there so that was good, we received our keys, front desk was not extremely helpful but maybe because it was late. Upon getting to our room we were in the very back 700's I believe third floor all stairs, at first I was like hey it will be good for us, but when it was 30+ degrees not so fun lol, the only good thing about this room was our view from our balcony, it was perfect, everything else in the room was 2 star at best, shower was old and trickled water, sing was short and falling apart, the room was probably not one of the upgraded ones, the air conditioner is what pushed us over the top though it sounded like a jet plain taking off, so I went back to the lobby spoke with the manager and apparently they were full and could not move us... I have heard that before, so I had to come back the next day. The next day I went back 3 or 4 times waiting around with our bags packed and the room wasn't ready, at last after spending my day in the lobby they moved us right beside the lobby! Worst spot ever for a light sleeper, you could hear every maid or person walk in and out of the lobby, I am pretty sure our room was one of the only few without a view as well, I told the manager and he stated it was all they had. Food at this resort was ok for all inclusive I never had anything bad, except the a la carte was a joke don't waste your time! It was impossible to make a reservation and once in it was the same food as the buffet. Pool was closed on and off when we were there, beach chairs were not usually available and if they were it was on the wrong side, where cruise ship people tried to charge you for using them. The view and beach were nice, if you are looking our I found the left side to be less of a drop. Bartenders were all good. Complaint staff wise would be ackmund I think his name was the nighttime manager, he was incredibly rude. It was 12:00 and the resort was shut down and lobby was empty and I was having a smoke while speaking with a friend back home, and he rudely chased me out as I stepped into the front turn about out from under the roof he told me I had to go to the otherside of the parking lot, I was outside! He then told me to quite smoking and continued watching tv. All in all if you fight for the right room, use this resort as a home base because there is nothing to do, rare to have entertainment, or games.

Room Tip: No complaints from people staying pool side
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate D
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend spent 10 days here from the 29 January and I read all the reviews here before booking and wasn't put off thinking that a lot of the chatter was probably unjust however after spending 10 days in this hotel I would definitely not return here as our experience was marred by several negative things that are actually important when booking an all inclusive holiday. I have holidayed all inclusive al over the world including Egypt and the Dominican Republic where reputation is critical sometimes of the food but this hotel served by far the worst meals ever I have encountered. Firstly I've never had to book a time to eat at an all inclusive restaurant then stand there watching 2 staff running around trying to seat the huge queue flowing out the door as we all stand there hungry. Seriously understaffed and over booked and when you eventually get to you food it was cold, unappetising, lacking in imagination and trying to get a smile out of the chefs was a non starter. The lunches served at the beach everyday were acceptable however. Quite often the food would run out so you'd have to stand there as your other food got even colder waiting for more to come out, and 3 toasters for over 100 people waiting for breakfast was a joke.
Several times I attempted to use the on site shop only to find it close as I chased the reception staff for whoever was supposed to be working there.
Trying to get a sun bed in the morning was a joke, if you're not up at 5:30 and putting your towel on a sun bed you might as well give up, I'm not a fan of hotels that do not enforce a no reserving sun bed policy as most of the time these beds were empty until people could be bothered turning up to use them sometimes even after 11am. The beach bar was filled with staff who really looked like they wanted to be somewhere else, even after tipping them they couldn't raise a smile.
Our room although acceptable (346) was situated next to what I can only presume a staff quarters and stunk of weed constantly and complaints fell on deaf ears...would be interested to see if anyone else who stayed in that room had the same problem.
Overall a lovely location, sadly let down by what I was told by several different people that the owner who doesn't live on the island just can't be bothered putting any money back in to the hotel.
I was aware it was a little run down...not a problem, but service is everything in a hotel and plainly the management haven't a clue how to run a hotel properly. Very sad

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoveBoatCaptain75
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Ensure you have your wrist band otherwise no drinks! Get to dinner early or there could be a queue for a table. After dinner have a digestif in the beach bar and listen to the fairly dull music. Go to bed early so you can grab a beach lounger, that has shade, at no later than 6.30 am. Although you might be better staying up and grabbing a chair at midnight. Despite what others have said, the beach is silky white with only a slight drop (12 inches) into the sea. Sunset is amazing – on a clear evening catch the green flash when the sun finally disappears. However, I do not believe that I will collect my “platinum” wristband that reflects a further visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,610 reviews
St. James's Club & Villas

Been to Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!