“Excellent would highly recommend!!”

Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
“Excellent would highly recommend!!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 19 days between 7-17 jan 2014. Had an excellent time, good location, excellent staff in particular Devon, Anita, and the head chef. Will be going back as soon as possible.

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Sunnyv243

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We spent 1 week at hotel. Very helpful staff but everything very tired and in serious need of refurbishment.
The pool seemed to be low in water, the rooms were large (We were in room 385 a superior room) but distinctly tatty. The hot water came and went on its own accord as did the internet.

Fantastic location by the beach although the number of dead palm trees is a bit disturbing but we used the water sports and that was great fun.

Food wise as a vegetarian there was good choice. We ate twice on the pier which was great. Best bet is to ensure sea side table so you can see the fish when they turn the lights on. Wife added lobster to her meal and really enjoyed it.

6km to capital (St Johns) or 30 mins run $25 (US) return cab fare. Which is not really worth a visit. We hired a car for the day and drove around the island. This was best. for $100 (US) for a day inc fuel you can see the whole island. Especially like devils Bridge and had a great Pizza sitting on the waterfront in English Harbour.

All in all a fantastic holiday but if you want 5 star luxury look else where.

3 Thank london1967
Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The hotel is on the dated side, but after a few days, the experience kind of makes of the the "datedness". The staff are very nice, they provide lots of things to do during the day, games etc.

It seems like every room has a view of the absolutely gorgeous beach. The food is fair. Some days food themes are better than others according to your tastes. I enjoyed the Indian cuisine night. I went back for seconds.

Other guests seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves and it added to the atmosphere and made it seem like fun even though I was travelling alone on business.

I would likely return with a group of friends and just let our hair down and have lots of fun!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank SS-BIM
Boisbriand, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were there January 16th to the 23rd, 2014. We had beautiful weather all week. The first 4 days, we had a big room with a gorgeous vue of the sea. room 358 but had a lot of problem with flushing the toilet, we had it repared 7 times with no success so the great manager, Mr Nabil Chahwan change us to another room in the main building. No problem after that.
The rooms are in need of an upgrade of course but are not so bad. The bed was too firm for me so I asked for a duvet on it and it was perfect after that. The pillows are also perfect and you can ask for as many as you need.

The food is great at the buffet even if not a lot of choice, everything is good and hot. Everywhere we go, the food is never hot in buffets but there, it is so that's a plus for me. I was very surprise that we were able to eat twice at the a la carte restaurant, I read it wasn't included but it was, except for the seafood and steak.

The beach is beautiful but many little rocks on it but they don't hurt your feet even if you walk on them. The sea is very blue but not clear so you don't see your feet. I was very surprised that the water was not warm like in Jamaica, unfortunatly.

Every night, there was a great band who played music from Jamaica etc so much better then the Michael Jackson shows that we see everywhere else. We could even danse to it.

The employees where almost all great except a few at the beach bar who would never smile, even after they received alot of tips from us. If I was the boss of that place, I would check every employees from a far to see if they smile to customers and if not, they would be fired right away. Of course, it needs to be an honest smile not fake. Nabil, you need to have only employees that have a great personnality if they work with the public, the non smiling ones can clean the rooms or work in the garden. Hope for your hotel that you will use that advice. If you hire only great people like you, that would be perfect because even with all the problem we had in our room, you where always patient and smiling. Thank you for that.

To resume, good hotel for the price if you know what you bought because it's not sold as a five stars and is not a five star but good food, great beach and beautiful sun.

Room Tip: Check if the toilet can be flushed before you accept the room.
3 Thank rabais r
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed two weeks (287) and will return next year. Staff "go the extra mile". Enjoyed every meal thanks to Exec. Chef (Dale). Manager's Cocktail Party. Afternoon Tea on Warri Pier. Reserved dinner 3 times on Pier. Water aerobic - Thanks Errol. Nightly entertainment. Beautiful beach. Corner store. Canadian funds changed at reception. Taxis on site at reasonable rates.

2 Thank Pat B
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed here end of January, we were limited on budget and the week we could go, so this was one of the very few options we had for the Caribean. Compared to the other places in Antigua, this was considerably cheaper.

Bad points first:
I agree with the comments the hotel is a bit dated and needs a bit of redecoration, but the room we had (335) was absolutely fine - not the plushest room I've stayed in, but it was clean, very spacious and had a wonderful balcony overlooking the pool. I don't understand the comments others have posted negatively about the condition of the buildings etc. I have done a lot of travelling and it really isn't that bad, if you had spent the money it costs to stay in the Sandels resort (over twice as much!!) then you might have a point.

My partner is vegetarian and on a few of the days there wasn't a lot of choice for vegetarians. She isn't very picky (apart from being veggie) so could always find something, but lunches would mostly be pizza and salad. Saying that the staff are so courteous that they would be willing to coook you a meal at your request, they did say this to us when we asked what options there were for veggie food.

Apart from that the only other really picky thing I can think of is the all-inclusive wrist band is a little bit harsh - I've had wrist bands before and sure they were a bit softer on the edges, just a bit of feedback to the hotel more than anything, if they get a chance to change wrist band supplier then get some with a softer plastic.

Good points:
IMHO This hotel has the best location in the whole bay. You are so close to the beach and the beach bar it is perfect. It is at the end of the Bay and with the Pier resturant you feel as though you have a private part of beach all to yourselves. (The beach is wonderful, lovely sand, not many stones at all) lovely depth of water in the swimming area.

Non-motorised water sports were included and we tried those out, all equipment was good and the guy running the hut was very helpful.

The food was brilliant, I eat absolutely everything and I was stuck for choice most dinner times. I ate way more than I should. Puddings wern't always as good and the afternoon tea was mostly cheese sandwiches, but all in all I would say the food was brilliant. Yes it could be better, but keeping it in context with the fact it was so much cheaper than anywhere else, you would be looking for faults (or generally a very misserable bugger) if you find much fault in their food. The wine was Argentian (White, Rose or Red) I tried the Red and White, both were perfectly drinkable. The beer was also absolutely fine, a little weaker than I would normaly drink, but it was all good. I tried the gin and found that slightly bitter for my taste, but didn't stop me having a few G&T's and the brandy wasn't the finest, but it was OK.
If you are very picky then you can have labelled brands, but you would pay for them.
One point, we were told if you take wine by the glass then it is all included, however if you ask for a bottle then it will be charged to your room even though it's the same wine - so just be aware of that.

NB You will have to pay for bottled water. Water from the bar is fine to drink (it is double filtered) water in your room is safe, but doesn't taste good. I bought a 1.5 litre bottle (to use for the gym) and just re-filled it at the bar every day.

This resport has a Pier resturant, which is where you can go for afternoon tea and also dinner. 2 dinner nights here were included in our package - even though it's the same menu as in the other resturant, it is lovely dining here, lovely view and subdued lighting and just really romantic. The fact they have the pier makes it nicer than the opther resorts anyhow in my opinion.

The hotel has a gym, which I used a few times, it opens at 05:00 (I didn't check that tho!) and it has airconditioning (some places I've been to before haven't) The equipment is all good stuff (Life Fitness) and in OK condition - 2 treadmills and a few stationary bikes. One point, to save electricity, they don't switch the aircon on when they open the gym up, so it's worth going there an hour before and switching it on to. I always switched it off afterwards for them, because it seemed nobody else really used the gym.

Pool wasn't very big, but it was fine and they do water aerobics in there every morning which was really funny watching the guys doing that! Entertainment wise the guys running the entertainment were great fun and super enthusiastic as you'd expect.

The hotel has a store and beauty salon and a few places like that so you can get any bits you've forgotten from the store without having to leave the resport. This can also be billed to the room which was all good.

When we checked out of the hotel, there was a bit of time before our airport transfer, we used the hospitality suite to shower and change. This place could certainly be smartened up a bit, but the fact they even had a hospitality suite was great, there were fresh towels and plenty of space for changing.

Above all else the best thing about this place was the people. The staff were so great, they couldn't do enough to help. things generally run in Antiguan time, but once you learn to relax it's all good. Service in the resturants was good, staff generally were very friendly, plenty of staff on the bar and any requests you had for veggie options or anything else they were more than happy to sort out.

All told, this was a brilliant holiday. For friendliness and value for money this was absolutely fantastic. We're seriously tempted to book again for next year.

The staff at the hotel were so helpful

Room Tip: We stayed in 335 which overlooked the pool, it was on the first floor, but given the choice of the w...
10 Thank Ian T
Toronto
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Just came back from the resort, stayed there from January 12th to 19th. I went to Halcyon Cove with mix feelings, having read all the reviews about it but at the end I had one of the best vacations ever. The check in was fast, initially I was given a room around the pool but after requesting another room (I wanted more quiet place), I was offered room 392, next to the reception. Thank You Yvette for that and for all other favors you did to me! The food was very delicious (kudos to the chef) and there was always something for everyone - fish,
chicken,vegetables,pork,soups,desserts,etc.T staff was very friendly and helpful (thank you Allick, thank you pool aerobic team), they did their best to entertain us,The rooms were dated but clean, there was a gym opened all the time and a small market, where you can buy local souvenirs, beach towels, clothes.The beach was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen and I travel a lot. There was security 24h in the resort and on the beach, I felt there very secure which was very important for me since I was solo. I met great friends there (Karen,Tom,Rose, Cecile,Angie, Susan, I miss you). I am planning to come back at the beginning of April, hopefully there will be nice promotion as well :) Once again, thank you Halcyon staff for all your hard work and for entertaining us. Hope to see you soon again :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
Siboney Beach Club
Siboney Beach Club
#6 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!